1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Is Trump A Good Guy? Bad Guy? Political Genius? A Nut?

Discussion in 'Politics Forum (Local/National/World)' started by searcher, Jul 26, 2017.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

2. searcher

OP-ED: Our democracy could be sunk by a president adrift
    • By EUGENE ROBINSON
    • 12 hrs ago

The truth can no longer be ignored: Donald Trump is dangerously unfit to be president and could lead the nation to unthinkable disaster. So what are we going to do about it?

The White House "has become an adult day care center," where the president's senior aides spend "every single day ... trying to contain him." That terrifying bit of information was disclosed Sunday by Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker, R-Tenn., whose decision not to run for re-election has freed him to point out that the emperor is indeed naked.

"Look, except for a few people, the vast majority of our caucus understands what we're dealing with here," Corker told The New York Times. His colleagues in the GOP Senate majority "understand the volatility that we're dealing with and the tremendous amount of work that it takes by people around [Trump] to keep him in the middle of the road." Trump treats the presidency as if it were "a reality show" and is so erratic that he could put us "on the path to World War III."

The shocking thing is that Corker is merely saying out loud what many others say in private. Trump is not qualified, by temperament or character, to exercise the awesome powers of the presidency. A man who acts like a bratty, vindictive child has been given the power to launch nuclear weapons.

He has three years and three months remaining in his presidential term. What are we going to do?

Corker counts on "those people who are closely working with him, what I would call the good guys" -- Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and chief of staff John Kelly -- to keep the apocalypse at bay. But no one can prevent all potential damage. Trump petulantly sabotages the health care system because it bears his predecessor's name. He cynically amplifies white racial grievance for political gain. He unnerves our longtime allies and recklessly goads our adversaries. He lies so shamelessly that he defiles the honor of the office held by Washington and Lincoln.

The alarming problem isn't Trump's policies, to the extent he has any coherent set of policy positions. This crisis isn't about conservative governance versus progressive governance. It's about soundness of mind and judgment.

The Constitution does not offer much of a playbook for the situation we find ourselves in. Impeachment is reserved for "high crimes and misdemeanors" -- a phrase that means anything Congress wants it to mean. Assume special counsel Robert Mueller eventually concludes that Trump obstructed justice or even participated in a collusion scheme with the Russians. Would Speaker Paul Ryan and the Republican majority in the House actually move to impeach the president? Or would they be too fearful of the wrath of the GOP base? Unless the evidence were overwhelming, would there really be enough votes in the Senate to remove Trump from office?

I'm skeptical on all counts. Impeachment is, and will remain, a very long shot.

The 25th Amendment allows the vice president and a majority of the Cabinet to relieve Trump of his powers, with Congress the ultimate arbiter if Trump were to protest. But this procedure -- intended for when a president suffers, for example, a debilitating stroke -- looks plausible only as a fail-safe mechanism if the president literally starts howling at the moon and trying to launch nuclear missiles. Let's pray it doesn't come to that.

Our most likely course of action is containment. The generals who play nanny at the "adult day care center" are already acting as the first line of defense. Corker and his colleagues in Congress must begin acting as the second.

Congress has great powers of investigation and oversight. The House has primacy in exercising the power of the purse; the Senate has the responsibility to advise and grant -- or withhold -- consent. Back in January, Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell might have dreamed that Trump, whatever his failings, would at least allow them to implement an orthodox GOP agenda. By now they must realize how wrong they were.

Republicans need to stop talking and begin acting to constrain an out-of-control president. They probably won't, however -- which makes it imperative that Democrats win one or both chambers of Congress in 2018.

Massive "people power" displays of resistance are stirring. But if you really want to make a difference, go out and work to turn the House and Senate into bodies that will ferociously protect our democracy -- from a president who grievously threatens it.

Enjoying our content? Become a Bucks County Courier Times subscriber to support stories like these. Get full access to our signature journalism for just 44 cents a day.

Eugene Robinson can be reached by email at eugenerobinson@washpost.com.

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes....cle_b8d29306-adf3-11e7-b655-10604b9f6eda.html

Krag likes this.
  3. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Eugene is triggering me. I'm having fantasies of Eugene ending up in a dumpster somewhere!

searcher and FoundingFathers like this.
  4. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    Those BCC writers are a bunch of leftist morons.

searcher, FoundingFathers and Irons like this.
  5. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

They are losing their last traces of sanity right out in public.
    The more Trump wins the closer to suicide they get! Snif....it's beautiful!

6. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

I found it interesting that one of the victims of the Vegas shooter met Trump in person and found out that he's nothing like what the media portrays. I saw today where NBC claimed Trump wanted to increase our nuclear arsenal by almost 10x...but then saw a video clip where Trump explained that he wants to modernize, not expand. There's really no telling what the truth is when the MSM is involved.

7. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

He is part Jewish, has many in his inner circle too: http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/207978/trumps-jews Whatever the Zionists feel about being oppressed or mistreated, every other nationality has suffered as much, many wrongfully. All of us on these boards have suffered slander from time to time. I try to mind my own business and be honest; with my faults, that isn't one of them.

8. searcher

They started attacking Trump before he actually ran - haven't stopped since. Some of their stuff makes me laugh. Love how they word stuff.

As to Trump - I wonder if he's simply outta his league in DC?

He dealing with people he didn't hire, can't fire and who don't give 2 shits what he thinks.

Maybe he needs to learn he ain't in Trumpland and there are different ways of doing things.

I believe that if he would come out for a single payer health care plan and some-how broker a peace plan with N Korea he'd be hailed as a hero.

But he really needs to calm down, stop ranting about fake news peeps out to get him and actually come up with his own ideas.

jm2c..........fwiw

Thecrensh and Son of Gloin like this.
  9. searcher

10. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    What makes a person part jewish? Is that like being part pregnant?

solarion likes this.
  11. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Trump is crazy as a fox

12. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    I'm not so sure DT is out of his league as much as he's just overwhelmed with the enormous amount of filth in DC. I believe there is no other man alive who is capable of standing up to the absolute corruption in the Republican and Democrat establishment, the MSM and the entrenched deep state the way that Trump has and is. If he actually somehow survives all this madness to the end and somehow makes a serious difference in that town, I will be willing to call him the greatest hero of our time. But, he's up against a lot, including people like the writers printed in the BCC. The assault is constant and it is coming at him from all sides. I don't know how he stands the pressure. It would crush a normal person.

Aurumag, solarion, searcher and 2 others like this.
  13. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    Show me someone who isn't nutz and I will show you a dangerous NUT!

I've only ever met people who are nutz or who pretend to be 'normal'... the former are way more interesting and generally better people to hang with!

... I mean fecking seriously, LOOK @ you lot!

:D

Aurumag, Buck, solarion and 5 others like this.
  14. Thecrensh

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you 150%....that statement, of course, includes me. :/

Zed and searcher like this.
  15. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    A friend of mine says the human race hasn't had a moment of true sanity since Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. However you take that statement, that is a long-assed time.

mayhem, Zed and searcher like this.
  16. searcher

'He's a fat, f***ing liar': Families of fallen soldiers slam Trump for saying past presidents never called them - as one reveals Bush 'listened while I screamed at him and then held me as I sobbed'
    • Delilia O'Malley lashed out at Donald Trump after he claimed past presidents hadn't called the families of fallen troops
    • She revealed President George W. Bush listed to her scream and then hugged her after her brother was killed in Iraq
    • Her anger was echoed by thousands of other Gold Star families who say they were insulted by Trump's false comments
    • A number of ex-staffers who worked with past presidents have also since publicly slammed Trump for blatantly lying
    • The record is plain that presidents reached out to families of the dead and to the wounded, often with their presence as well as by letter and phone

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4986980/Sister-slain-soldier-lashes-Trump-troops.html#ixzz4vl8MVvjR
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Son of Gloin likes this.
  17. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

quality control
    Your wrong!

searcher likes this.
  18. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    Normally, yes.

But this time I no for sure!

searcher and andial like this.
  19. searcher

War of words: Trump denies telling Special Forces soldier's widow in speakerphone call to family that her husband 'knew what he signed up for' – as congresswoman who heard it says president 'has a brain disorder' and didn't even know slain man's name
    • Donald Trump called the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson on Tuesday afternoon
    • Myeshia Johnson was on her way to Miami airport where her husband's remains were arriving when she took the president's call
    • Rep. Frederica Wilson said she was sitting beside the grieving widow when Trump said on spearkerphone that the slain solider 'knew what he signed up for'
    • Heartbreaking footage later showed Johnson, who is pregnant with the couple's third child, sobbing over her husband's flag-draped coffin
    • Trump denied saying that, tweeting on Wednesday morning that that the 'Democrat Congresswoman totally fabricated what I said ... (and I have proof)'
    • 'Yes, he said it,' Wilson told WPLG . 'It's so insensitive. He should have not have said that. He shouldn't have said it'
    • Miami-Dade Commissioner Barbara Jordan was also in the car and backed up Wilson’s version of the call in an MSNBC interview
    • Wilson said Wednesday on CNN: 'This gentleman has a brain disorder, and he needs to be checked out. ... We should be praising his family, not insulting them'
    • A GoFundMe page set up for Johnson's three children's college funds has already raised more than $175,000 in one day

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4991292/Trump-slammed-insensitive-phone-call-Niger-widow.html#ixzz4vrTTntZp

20. searcher

21. searcher

22. Thecrensh

Trump is his own worst enemy. Probably why TPTB allowed him to be elected...to make a mockery of conservative thinking and ensure liberal, progressive election for the foreseeable future.

23. searcher

Grieving families of at least FIVE soldiers say they never received a call from Trump despite his claim he has spoken to relatives of all those killed under his Presidency
    • Members of at least five Gold Star military families said on Wednesday they have not received a phone call from President Donald Trump
    • On Tuesday, Trump claimed that 'I think I’ve called every family of someone who’s died'
    • The mother of a soldier killed in Niger said Trump showed 'disrespect' to the soldier’s loved ones as they drove to the airport to meet his body
    • Sgt. La David Johnson was one of four American military personnel killed nearly two weeks ago whose families had not heard from Trump until Tuesday
    • Rep. Frederica Wilson said that Trump told the widow that Johnson 'knew what he signed up for'
    • He declared on Twitter: 'Democrat Congresswoman totally fabricated what I said to the wife of a soldier who died in action (and I have proof). Sad!'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4993510/The-Latest-Soldiers-mom-confirms-report-Trump-call.html#ixzz4vwm6umdv

24. searcher

White House says there are NO tapes of condolence call to fallen Green Beret's widow but insists John Kelly was a witness – and blasts 'appalling and disgusting' congresswoman for politicizing it
    • President Trump disputed the account of his call to the widow of a slain serviceman by Rep. Frederica Wilson
    • Trump called Sgt. La David Johnson's widow, Myeshia, on Tuesday
    • Wilson said she was sitting beside the grieving widow when Trump said on speakerphone that the slain solider 'knew what he signed up for'
    • Trump blasted Wilson saying she 'totally fabricated what I said'
    • The president said he had 'proof' she was wrong
    • Johnson's mother also said she felt disrespected by the call
    • White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the call was not taped
    • She said there were 'several people in the room,' including Gen. John Kelly
    • Kelly's son was killed in action in Afghanistan in 2010

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4994418/White-House-says-NO-tapes-condolence-call.html#ixzz4vwmI3I46

25. searcher

EXCLUSIVE - 'Trump is a S.O.B.' Grieving aunt of slain US Special Forces hero who was killed in Niger ambush slams President's 'heartless and disgusting' remarks to his widow
    • Sgt La David Johnson's aunt Katrina Johnson called Trump an 'S.O.B' Wednesday
    • The 42-year-old said she believes what her niece said of the phone call with him
    • Trump had denied reducing the Sgt's widow Myeshia Johnson to tears by telling her he 'knew what he signed up for'
    • Johnson said that her nephew was a 'hero who died fighting for his country' and that Trump's comments are insulting

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4995072/Grieving-aunt-slain-Special-Forces-hero-calls-Trump-SOB.html#ixzz4vwmQNxqy

26. searcher

The check's in the mail: Trump fallen soldier row takes a bizarre turn after Gold Star father accuses President of failing to send $25,000 he promised during condolence call - only for White House to insist it's on its way
    • Chris Baldridge said he received a call from Donald Trump in June shortly after his 22-year-old son Dillon was killed
    • Dillon was one of three soldiers gunned down by an Afghan police officer
    • During the 15-minute call, Baldridge said Trump offered to send a check for $25,000 and promised his staff would set up an online fundraising page
    • Baldridge said all he received from Trump was a condolence letter
    • The White House said Wednesday afternoon that the check had been sent
    • Trump's interactions with the bereaved relatives of soldiers has been under scrutiny after his 'insensitive' comments to a grieving widow
    • He called the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson on Tuesday and told her the slain solider 'knew what he signed up for'
    • Johnson was one of four US soldiers killed in Niger two weeks ago
    • Trump has denied making the remarks to the woman, despite his mother and Congresswoman Frederica Wilson repeating the claims
    • Wilson claims Trump didn't known Johnson's name and called him 'your guy'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4995330/Trump-offered-grieving-father-25k-solider-s-death.html#ixzz4vwmcxBob

27. searcher

Fake views: Chicago art museum says the painting hanging in Trump's NYC apartment is NOT a Renoir and that the real one belongs to them (and the President obviously disagrees)
    • French impressionist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's Two Sisters (On The Terrace) has hung in the Art Institute of Chicago since 1933 but Trump asserts his is real
    • Trump's version hangs in the New York Trump Tower and has been featured on two recent interviews
    • 'You know, that's an original Renoir,' Tim O'Brien said Trump claimed when the writer asserted that the real one was in Chicago
    • The Renoir was given to the Art Institute in 1933 by Annie Swan Corburn. She had bought it from Paul Durand-Ruel for $100,000
    • He got the piece from the master creator in 1881

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4995436/Chicago-museum-says-Renoir-Trump-s-NYC-apartment-FAKE.html#ixzz4vwmzOnJP

28. searcher

John Kelly calls special press conference to defend Trump's call to Green Beret widow and slam 'selfish' congresswoman for listening in to 'sacred' conversation as he shames both sides with gut-wrenching account of what happens when a soldier dies
    • Rep. Frederica Wilson says she listened in on President Trump's call to Sgt. La David T. Johnson's widow, when they conversed on Tuesday
    • She has accused the president of making insensitive remarks on the call
    • Trump claimed, in response, that Barack Obama and other presidents 'didn't make calls' to Gold Star families
    • When that was disproven, he pointed to John Kelly, a retired general who serves as his chief of staff, and claimed that Obama didn't call him
    • Kelly's son died in Afghanistan in 2010; he confirmed Thursday that Obama didn't call but said he was not offended
    • Also said he counseled Trump not to call the families of the fallen, even though it's nice when presidents do
    • Of the chief of staff's defense of Trump, Wilson said, 'John Kelly's trying to keep his job'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4998356/Kelly-says-told-Trump-not-call-heroes-families.html#ixzz4vznQJEFr

Irons likes this.
  29. searcher

McCain: Getting answers from Trump on Niger may require subpoena
    [​IMG]
    The Hill

Rebecca Savransky
    2 hrs ago

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Thursday it might require a subpoena to get more information about a deadly ambush in Niger.

"It may require a subpoena," McCain said when he was asked what might need to be done to get more information about the attack that left four U.S. soldiers dead, according to CNN.

U.S. Africa Command has launched a formal investigation into the Oct. 4 incident in Niger that left four Army Green Berets dead and two injured, according to reports Thursday.

The command sent a team to Niger to conduct a "review of the facts," defense officials told NBC News.

Experts are reportedly trying to establish an hour-by-hour timeline of what happened, and the investigation will include all U.S. military branches and agencies involved in the deadly mission.

McCain said it's not necessary to wait for the Defense Department to finish its investigation.

"That's not how the system works. We're coequal branches of government," McCain, the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said. "We should be informed at all times."

McCain: Getting answers from Trump admin on Niger may require subpoena McCain said Tuesday he doesn't think the Trump administration has provided enough information on the attack in Niger.

Asked by The Hill whether the administration has been forthcoming on information on Niger, McCain said "no."

"I had a better working relationship, as far as information back and forth, with Ash Carter than I do with an old friend of 20 years," McCain added, referring to former President Obama's last Defense secretary.

President Trump did not personally comment on the attack until Monday, when he said he would call the families of the fallen soldiers "at some point" and spurred controversy over his claim that Obama didn't call the families of slain soldiers.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ger-may-require-subpoena/ar-AAtJDmN?ocid=iehp

30. searcher

General John Kelly Destroys Lies About Trump’s Call to Widow of Fallen Soldier
    Mark Dice

Published on Oct 19, 2017
    General John Kelly sets the record straight about Trump's call to the widow of a fallen soldier and how scumbag Frederica Wilson's politicized the event. Order your "Trump 2020" t-shirt and other cool stuff here: https://teespring.com/stores/markdice - Subscribe now for more videos every day, and I'll see you tomorrow!

If you love watching my videos then toss me a one-time tip at http://www.PayPal.me/MarkDice to help me stay fan-funded because YouTube is demonetizing my videos because they don't like them.

Support me on Patreon: http://Patreon.com/MarkDice

Did you know I'm an author? Checkout my books!
    Order them in paperback on Amazon.com here:
    http://amzn.to/1qy0VZF
    Download my books from Kindle, iBooks, Google Play, or Nook.

Contact me via email at: Mark@MarkDice.com
    Copyright © 2017 by Mark Dice. All Rights Reserved.

Irons likes this.
  31. searcher

32. Irons

33. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    These are treasonous acts against a duly elected president. We should not be standing for these vicious attacks against the leader of this nation yet we stand by and watch it happen time and time again. While all this crap is being tossed about real progress is stagnant in government. No one on the left seems to talk much about that

34. Irons

As long as these loons are spinning their wheels on go nowhere nonsense they are not paying attention to the important things Trump's team is getting done.
    The stock market is cranking because of the tax and trade issues Trump is resolving. Just fixing the NAFTA bullshit will make an unbelievable difference in the quality of life in America.
    I think Trump encourages and prods the state run media to run after these idiot subjects as cover for the important things he wants left alone.

the_shootist likes this.
  35. searcher

President Trump wishes US soldiers a happy Thanksgiving on conference call as he lists off his achievements, telling them 'you're fighting for something good'
    • President Trump spoke to soldiers via conference call from his Mar-a-Lago club
    • He repeatedly said the members of the armed forces were 'very, very special people' to him and everyone else in the country
    • Soldiers listened in from Afghanistan, Iraq, on the USS Monterey, and in Turkey and Bahrain
    • Trump continued the call by listing off his administration's achievements in a bid to show the service members what they had to look forward to returning home

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5111491/President-Trump-wishes-soldiers-happy-Thanksgiving.html#ixzz4zGrTIm7q

36. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Trump strikes me as a mad genius of sorts. He seems to get where he's going in such a round about chaotic manner that it often looks like he got there by accident. As a political opponent he must be frustrating as hell. Sure has been fun to watch though. lol

37. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    searcher likes this.
  38. searcher

39. searcher

Time denies telling Trump he was likely ‘Person of the Year' but fail to say if they WERE considering him - as the president claims
    • Time Magazine says President Donald Trump was wrong to say that he was told he would 'probably' be named Person of the Year
    • Trump says he turned down an interview and photo shoot for the publication's annual Person of the Year issue
    • In a Friday evening tweet, Trump says the magazine informed him he was 'probably' going to be granted the title for the second year in a row
    • He tweets: 'I said probably is no good and took a pass'
    • Trump frequently brags about his cover appearances in the iconic magazine

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5115805/Trump-says-turned-Times-Person-Year-honor.html#ixzz4zRzah2yy

40. searcher

Trump veers past guardrails, feeling impervious to the uproar he causes

[​IMG]
    The Washington Post
    Philip Rucker, Ashley Parker
    10 hrs ago

President Trump this week disseminated on social media three inflammatory and unverified anti-Muslim videos, took glee in the firing of a news anchor for sexual harassment allegations despite facing more than a dozen of his own accusers and used a ceremony honoring Navajo war heroes to malign a senator with a derogatory nickname, "Pocahontas."

Again and again, Trump veered far past the guardrails of presidential behavior. But despite the now-routine condemnations, the president is acting emboldened, as if he were impervious to the uproar he causes.

If there are consequences for his actions, Trump does not seem to feel their burden personally. The Republican tax bill appears on track for passage, putting the president on the cusp of his first major legislative achievement. Trump himself remains the highest-profile man accused of sexual improprieties to keep his job with no repercussions.

Trump has internalized the belief that he can largely operate with impunity, people close to him said. His political base cheers him on. Fellow Republican leaders largely stand by him. His staff scrambles to explain away his misbehavior — or even to laugh it off. And the White House disciplinarian, chief of staff John F. Kelly, has said it is not his job to control the president.

For years, Trump has fired off incendiary tweets and created self-sabotaging controversies. The pattern captures the musings of a man who traffics in conspiracy theories and alternate realities and who can't resist inserting himself into any story line at any moment.

"In an intensely polarized world, you can't burn down the same house twice," said Alex Castellanos, a GOP campaign consultant. "What has Donald Trump got to lose at this point?"

Castellanos added that for many voters, and especially Trump's base, there's an "upside" to his bellicosity. "A strong daddy bear is what a lot of voters want," he said. "Right or wrong, at least he's fighting for us."

On Wednesday, Trump took to Twitter before sunrise to share three unverified videos with his 43.6 million followers that seemed designed to stoke anti-Muslim sentiments. He then relished in the firing of Matt Lauer from NBC's "Today" show for allegations of sexual misconduct and fanned unsubstantiated rumors about three other NBC and MSNBC executives and personalities.

Two days earlier, Trump used a ceremony honoring the World War II Navajo code talkers to deride Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) by using his nickname for her, "Pocahontas." Native American leaders and other Americans have objected to the characterization as a racial slur.

Trump traveled on Wednesday to Missouri, where he pitched the tax overhaul plan. He explained that he did not mind that the bill might close loopholes for the wealthy like himself.

Trump and other wealthy Americans are poised to benefit from the plan, according to tax experts, because of cuts to estate and business taxes and other relief for real estate holdings. Trump has refused to release his tax returns, so it is impossible to say exactly how he would benefit.

In Missouri, he was talking about taxes, but he might as well been describing his mind-set.

"Hey, look, I'm president," Trump said. "I don't care. I don't care anymore."

Trump's anti-Islam tweets on Wednesday — he retweeted videos first posted by a leader of the far-right Britain First party, an extremist group that targets mosques and Muslims — earned him a sharp rebuke from the British prime minister's office.

The retweets also caught his West Wing team off guard. One aide said staffers were unsure exactly how to respond to — let alone defend — his tweets, while another noted that the tweets were unexpected but not necessarily out of character.

"He got pretty fired up this morning," said the second aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to offer a candid assessment. "This was not planned."

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders defended Trump's post as evidence that he wants to "promote strong borders and strong national security." But she sidestepped questions on whether the president should give his Twitter endorsement to content whose authenticity was not verified.

"Whether it's a real video, the threat is real, and that is what the president is talking about," Sanders told reporters.

Jason Miller, a former Trump campaign adviser, said the media were overreacting to the president's sharing of anti-Muslim videos. "A very small number of people, primarily in New York and Washington, are complaining about the origin of the tweets, and most of the rest of the country is talking about the need for stricter border security and the threat of radical Islamic terrorism," Miller said.

Still, by sharing the videos, Trump created problems for himself. He undermined the administration's legal strategy in defending the controversial entry ban by offering evidence of anti-Muslim bias. Federal judges have blocked various versions of the ban because it is akin to an unconstitutional ban on Muslims, which Trump had called for during the campaign.

One of Trump's aides, deputy press secretary Raj Shah, also may have complicated the legal strategy. Aboard Air Force One on Wednesday, Shah answered a reporter's question about whether Trump thinks Muslims are a threat to the United States by saying, "No, look, the president has addressed these issues with the travel order that he issued earlier this year and the companion proclamation."

Trump also strained, at least temporarily, the special relationship with Britain. A spokesman for British Prime Minister Theresa May delivered a rare rebuke from 10 Downing Street: "British people overwhelmingly reject the prejudiced rhetoric of the far-right which is the antithesis of the values that this country represents: decency, tolerance and respect."

On Wednesday evening, Trump responded on Twitter: "Theresa May, don't focus on me, focus on the destructive Radical Islamic Terrorism that is taking place within the United Kingdom. We are doing just fine!"

Trump's advisers and friends said he feels emboldened, even invincible, to communicate as he chooses — especially on cultural issues, believing that his stances work for him politically by galvanizing his base.

Having long trafficked in conspiracy theories — his political rise was fueled by his role as one of the nation's leading champions of the false claim that President Barack Obama was not born in the United States — Trump continues as president to promote falsehoods and reject facts.

Trump has recently told friends that he believes special counsel Robert S. Mueller III's Russia investigation will be winding down by the end of the year and that he will be exonerated, even though many experts and others close to the wide-ranging probe say that view is overly optimistic.

Trump has watched as other high-profile men's careers have crumbled under the weight of public accusations of sexual misconduct. Yet Trump has faced no disciplinary repercussions, even after bragging on a 2005 tape about having sexually assaulted women. "Grab 'em by the p---y. You can do anything," Trump told "Access Hollywood" host Billy Bush, who lost his job over the incident.

During the 2016 campaign, more than 12 women publicly came forward with claims that Trump had sexually harassed or assaulted them. Yet Trump categorically denied the women's accounts and won the election.

Trump occasionally has even speculated, in private conversations with advisers and friends over the past year, that the voice in the tape may not be his or that the tape may have been unfairly doctored.

Roger Stone, a former political adviser to and longtime friend of Trump's, said the president is less strategic and more spontaneous with his controversial comments.

"I just think you're seeing the president as way too Machiavellian," Stone said. "He doesn't necessarily have a strategy. His instincts on the news cycle and how to tweak his enemies is extraordinary. . . . He's a master marketer, and the only thing worse than being wrong is being boring. We're talking about this now."

Trump feels especially liberated when he is at Mar-a-Lago, his lush seaside resort in Palm Beach, Fla., where he spent the Thanksgiving holiday, according to his friends. There, Trump enjoys a less structured and disciplined environment than at the White House, where Kelly attempts to tightly control whom the president sees and what information he receives.

In Palm Beach, friends and club members can approach Trump at will and plant ideas in the president's head, which he sometimes repeats or acts on.

Two outside advisers to Trump suspected it was no coincidence that he returned to Washington on Sunday night and soon thereafter struck a pugnacious tone in his public comments.

"Mar-a-Lago stirs him up," said one of the advisers, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to be candid.

On Capitol Hill, Republicans struggled Wednesday to defend the president. Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) said Trump's retweets of the videos were "particularly unhelpful."

"We don't want to take a fringe group and elevate their content," Graham said. "I think it also is not the message we need to be sending right now where we need, you know, Muslim allies."

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), an outspoken Trump critic, agreed: "I just thought it was highly inappropriate. Not helpful."

GOP strategist John Brabender said Trump's tweets distracted from his agenda to pass a tax cuts bill and focus on the nuclear threat from North Korea. But, Brabender said, "this is not new in Donald Trump's world."

"We're seeing the message hijacked by the messenger," Brabender said. "That's been problematic for a long time and it's still problematic. . . . Sometimes we all just scratch our heads."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...oar-he-causes/ar-BBFWtpF?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp