1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

IT'S CONFIRMED: Jeep Wrangler Pickup Truck Coming in 2017

Discussion in 'Auto, Tractor, Motorcycles, Racing, and Mechanics' started by Scorpio, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

IT'S CONFIRMED: Jeep Wrangler Pickup Truck Coming in 2017
    [​IMG]
    Road & Track

Bob Sorokanich 1/12/2016

Jeep fans have been clamoring for a Wrangler-based pickup truck for what seems like decades now. For all those years, Jeep teased us with pickup truck concepts, like the Gladiator concept and the J-12 concept shown above, but never pulled the trigger on a production model. That all changes for 2017: The next-gen Wrangler will finally, finally offer a pickup variant, right from the factory.

[​IMG]© Marc Urbano IT'S CONFIRMED: Jeep Wrangler Pickup Truck Coming in 2017
    That's the word from The Detroit News, as per a conversation with Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne. The CEO also confirmed that both the standard Wrangler and the pickup truck will be built in the Toledo, Ohio facility where the current Wrangler is assembled.

Jeep global chief Mike Manley told The Detroit News that the Wrangler pickup will arrive in late 2017. "Sergio and I work very, very closely on the Jeep product portfolio, and both of us have been a fan of a potential Wrangler pickup," he said. "For me, there is a historical place in our lineup for it."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...rangler-pickup-truck-coming-in-2017/ar-CCrhkQ

917601, Usury, Eyebone and 1 other person like this.
  2. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    If MSN is reporting it, it must be at least HALF true...well, maybe almost half

3. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

It's on the way and there is another promotional photo showing it in traditional green. I like Jap cars better.

<===Foolsgold likes this.
  4. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

I like the retro lines of it. I prolly don't like all the modern guts. I'm sure it doesn't have Quadratrac.

searcher likes this.
  5. Scorpio

agreed REO,

kinda comical how it takes a european company to realize what a jeep is supposed to be............

Zed, REO 54 and Eyebone like this.
  6. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Going to be built in Toledo, Ohio. But it's a trade off because they loose what they are currently building. If not a success I can see this hurting Toledo region.

7. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Big question is can they build it with quality? A couple of towns over from me there is a strip of road just filled with car dealer service centers. The only one with a line for the service department that is down the block is the Chrysler/Jeep dealer. It is a pity. I'd be interested in such an offering but I have no intentions of spending hard earned money to buy a mechanical money pit.

8. REO 54

For the cost of a new rig, I'd just buy an old 70's model and put half of what I would spend on new and fix'er up and come away with something better....IMO

pitw, stoli, 917601 and 7 others like this.
  9. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Ahillock likes this.
  10. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I shook my head when I saw the 4dr Wrangler. I shook my head when I saw 4 door pickups with 4' beds. Guess what I'm doing now. This is just another posermobile. 90% of all sold will never see more dirt than a unpaved driveway, and the beds will never see more than groceries.

REO 54, gringott and skychief like this.
  11. searcher

lol..............That could be said about 99.99% of all the p/u's around here. Only one thing............the driveways are paved.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    gringott, Ahillock and Professur like this.
  12. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Yep, they are called "Pavement Princesses" Here in corporate Oregon

13. Scorpio

I went looking at the Jeeps last fall,

A Rubicon style.

Yep they were cheaper. Yet the quality was just horseshit. The carpets weren't even tucked under the retainers at the doorways, etc.

It was a pile of cheap steel to me. Kept the Ford truck instead.

Goldhedge and gringott like this.
  14. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    If it ain't a Willy's it ain't a Jeep!

Traderjoe, mayhem and Uglytruth like this.
  15. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

I would love to be able to buy a jeep, but the quality is so bad in the new models there is no way. I'm leaning toward a new tacoma.

Scorpio and searcher like this.
  16. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    +1 on the Tacoma....they're solid and hold their value better than most

birddog likes this.
  17. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

As a truck guy that mostly uses his as a highway commuter, I'll answer the question of why I drive a truck:

1) You can't get a full-size car anymore with comfortable, ergonomic and upright seats. They all seem to be sunken bucket seats leaned back so much that it's a chore to climb up out of the darn seat to get out. I pretty much slide right in and out of my truck. I tried to go back to a car 10 years ago and started having back problems.

2) You can't get a car with rear wheel drive and a solid independent frame anymore. Why is this important? Better control, better ride and more durability in case of an accident. When my truck T-boned another truck doing 70mph on the hwy when the other drive pulled out in front of me cause he didn't see me, we all walked away with no damage. All of my crew and all of his. We were both in trucks. Not so sure it would've panned out like that if one of us had been in a car.

3) while it's true my truck bed doesn't see a lot of use, it's like this--when you need a truck, there's no substitute. So it's there when I need it. Do you fill up your car trunk every day? Same for the times I need to tow also...

4) as for the 4 doors and short bed, I use the other seats for kids/passengers more than the bed. And while it would be nice at times to have a longer bed, I can pretty much haul what I need fine. Worst case, I put the gate and bed extender down.

18. searcher

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  19. searcher

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  20. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

I know - I've been checking out the new 2016 Tacoma. Just can't justify it yet. My 2008 4 runner has 130000 miles and runs like a champ. Brakes, tires and thats about it. I have a new teenager in the house, so it might be a couple more years till we need to buy something.

21. searcher

22. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I drive an SUV, but when I need a truck can I borrow yours?

23. mayhem

mayhem Rebel Fire Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Wife traded her Accura for a Tacoma when she turned 65. Couldn't git out of the thin seated Accura any longer.

24. REO 54

Looking at buying a 86' K30 Chevy 4x4 w tool boxes w 6.2 diesel . Only 146k on it owned buy a truck repair company. Originally owned buy the county. $5k. Last me the rest of my working days!

stoli likes this.
  25. just n case

just n case Gold Member Gold Chaser

I saw one of these on the road a couple months ago. I live within 30 minutes of Chrysler Headquarters. Looked nice. It definitely caught my eye.

26. searcher

Fiat Chrysler retooling plant for Jeep pickup

Some $1 billion will retool and modernize two factories for the Jeep line; the second phase of $9.6 billion worth of overall U.S. manufacturing investments by the OEM.

Jan 9, 2017 Fleet Owner Staff | Fleet Owner

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) confirmed this week that it will invest $1 billion and create more than 2,000 new jobs in two U.S. factories that build its Jeep line of light vehicles – one of which will build an all-new Jeep pickup model.

This is the second phase of a $9.6 billion industrialization plan announced in January last year that seeks to “realign” FCA’s U.S. manufacturing operations so it can “respond better” to shifts in market demand for trucks and SUVs, while further expanding production capacity for its Jeep and Ram Truck models.

“The conversion of our industrial footprint completes this stage of our transformation as we respond to the shift in consumer tastes to trucks and SUVs, and as we continue to reinforce the U.S. as a global manufacturing hub for those vehicles at the heart of the SUV and truck market,” said Sergio Marchionne, FCA’s CEO, in a statement.

“These moves, which have been under discussion with the UAW [United Auto Workers] for some time, expand our capacity in these key segments, enabling us to meet growing demand here in the U.S., but more importantly to increase exports of our mid-size and larger vehicles to international markets,” he added.

With the $1 billion investment, FCA said it will “retool and modernize” its Warren Truck Assembly Plant in Michigan to produce the all-new Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, along with upgrades to the south plant of the Toledo Assembly Complex in Ohio so it can build an all-new Jeep pickup truck, with more than 2,000 jobs also will be added to support production of these models; efforts planned to be completed by 2020, the OEM noted.

“The expansion of our Jeep lineup has been and continues to be the key pillar of our strategy,” Marchionne added.

“Our commitment to internationalize the Jeep brand is unwavering, and with these last moves, we will finally have the capacity to successfully penetrate markets other than the U.S. which have historically been denied product due to capacity constraints,” he said. “In addition, these all-new products will reach new consumers, as well as those that have been part of the Jeep tradition.”

FCA pointed out that the added benefit of the investment in its Warren factory is so it can produce the Ram heavy duty truck, which is currently built in Mexico.

Those are follow-on plans to the “first phase” of FCA’s U.S. industrialization plan, announced back in July 2016, which included:
    • A $350 million investment in FCA’s Belvidere Assembly Plant in Illinois to produce the Jeep Cherokee, which will move from its current production location in Toledo, Ohio, in 2017, with some 300 new jobs created in that process.
    • A $700 million investment the Toledo Assembly Complex in Ohio to retool the North plant to produce the next generation Jeep Wrangler; a move that will add an estimated700 new jobs.
    • A nearly $1.5 billion investment in the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Michigan for retooling to build the next generation Ram 1500, which should add 700 new jobs.

http://fleetowner.com/hd-pickup-van...m=email&elq2=957c6cacd3ac4db28568c6fa86a62e50

27. searcher

28. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

..all very good posts, I am waiting for this model in diesel. Jeep promised a diesel in 2011 and I pushed my 280,000 mile Rodeo till it died waiting for their diesel, then they backed out....why can't anyone make small diesels which are so popular all over the world?

searcher likes this.
  29. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    Fiat Chrysler is THE most complained about car company in Australia with the worst record of customer treatment. The Koreans, Hyundai and Kia are the best here, they top the satisfaction surveys and rival the quality and equipment levels of much more expensive cars. They also hit their warranty out of the park. No longer cheap but they are good.

searcher likes this.