1. Metals try to capitalize in market weakness with dollar weakness ie choppy
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning! Gold is down 1.3 to 1248. Silver is flat at 1757. Crude +16 to 4820. The USD is up 17 to 9964.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/18/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1230.20-- UP 28.8 Silver $17.41-- UP 49 Oil $49.31-- UP 82 TICS USD $100.11 -- DOWN 100 tics Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1299.09 (1), SAE $20.54 (20)

Jack Nicklaus Blames Golf Ball for Recent Course Closures

Discussion in 'Golf, Football, and all Ball sports' started by Scorpio, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Jack Nicklaus Blames Golf Ball for Recent Course Closures
    13 / 18
    [​IMG]
    Golf

GOLF WIRE 7 hrs ago

[​IMG]

© Golf Jack Nicklaus addressed the 2016 HSBC Golf Business Forum on Tuesday.

Golf is struggling, and the game's most decorated player has identified a culprit: the golf ball.

Speaking at the HSBC Golf Business Forum in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, on Tuesday, the 18-time major winner turned prolific course designer blamed changes in the golf ball for the recent spate of course closures throughout the United States.

"Fact is, more golf courses have closed in the U.S. in each of the last 10 years than have opened," Jack Nicklaus said. "This is thanks in great part to changes in the golf ball and the distance it travels. Courses have had to change along with it. It's now a slower game and more expensive than before, and that can't be a good thing."

Nicklaus' solution is a creative one: create golf balls specifically tailored to each course instead of forcing courses to add length in response to longer-traveling golf balls.

"We don't want to change the game for the core golfer, but we need to make every effort to offer alternatives to bring more people into the game and keep them in the game," Nicklaus said. "I think we need to develop a golf ball to suit the golf course, rather than build courses to suit a golf ball. Whether it's a ball that goes 50%, 75%, or 100%, you play a ball that fits the course and your game."

According to Nicklaus, it's an easy fix for a very real problem for the game.

"It's not that big a deal," Nicklaus said. "We used to do it when traveling to play the Open and switching from the large ball to the small. It took us only a day to get used to a different ball. But when land is a dear commodity and water is scarce, you need to do something to respond to today's situation."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...-recent-course-closures/ar-AAkXetF?li=BBnb7Kz

2. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Golf is struggling because it's about as exciting to watch as those fishing shows

freud198, GOLDBRIX and andial like this.
  3. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter

One word, Demographics.

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  4. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Of course, with all the disposable income Americans have today I'm astonished that the golf courses aren't filled to the brim with golfers

5. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

Golf is a great game, but it has gotten too expensive for a lot of people (me included). I grew up playing at a 'Country Club' - it was a very middle class club, with a 18 hole Championship course. My Dad joined in the 1960's for $200 a membership fee and $35 a month for unlimited use of the golf course and facility for the entire family. It was cheap even then. I wouldn't consider a Country Club these days - not even close to affordable.

the_shootist, GOLDBRIX and mayhem like this.
  6. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Back in 08 when everything crashed a "news reporter" shoved a mic in a store owners face and asked him what was wrong with his business and what he needed to succeed. She threw out a few ideas & he just looked at her.
    He said "customers with money". Believe me it was "news to her"........ idiots can't figure out the basics.

Moose lodges closing around here. Any sports / hobbies are suffering. Everyone has ideas on what to do to get others to come out and participate........... but it's really simple. People simply don't have the money to "play" or buy extras anymore. Sure obamacare's $2500 a year savings helped :( but after working 2 or three part time, stagnant wage jobs with no benefits when you get home your just to tired to do much of anything else.

7. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Platinum Bling

I never got my $2500.00 yearly savings. :( cry:

Why would he lie to me ?

Uglytruth likes this.
  8. the_shootist

Architect
    This is some MSM quote, right?

Sure obamacare's $2500 a year savings helped :( but after working 2 or three part time, stagnant wage jobs with no benefits when you get home your just to tired to do much of anything else.

mayhem likes this.
  9. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    ... needs more T & A.

10. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

I play at a couple of redneck courses down here.
    One in particular that happens to be my favorite actually has a dumpy single wide trailer about 30 feet from the t box on the 5 hole. The old man and woman who run it are fantastic down to earth country folks. It was a 9 hole course for the first 6 years, but it expanded to include a back 9 several years back due to it being both enjoyable, affordable and inclusive to all types. Very laid back with no dress codes or pretentious proshop knuckleheads.

I showed up one Sunday afternoon and it was a seniors golf tournament that had just got underway. I figured I would have to go elsewhere when a trio of old timers informed me that their fourth man was going to be a no show and welcomed me to join them having no idea how bad I was. Had a great time with those old boys.

They charge a buck a hole and 4 on top if you don't like walking.

The ritzy course "Greystone" which has gone under twice despite being my town's flagship golf course community charged 60 buck a round, and although 13 miles closer I've never bothered to play there.

mayhem, andial, Silver and 2 others like this.
  11. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Sarcasm!

12. andial

image.jpeg
    Maybe if golf courses are less crowded in the future I will pick up the game again, all I used was a 1-iron when I used to play, teeing off, putting, sand traps , feck it I say.

13. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I am without comment to his level of stupidity

mayhem, stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  14. stonedywankanobe

Hilarious visual, Dialber + his multiwrench and bag full of mulligans.

So true Forksir, most rich fecks are equipped with a fully functional disconnect from reality.

andial likes this.
  15. andial

I got carried away with myself there.

16. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

Lee Trevino used to hustle with a Dr. Pepper bottle for a golf club on a Par 3 course - and you could use your full set of clubs against him. dr pepper1.jpg dr pepper.jpg

17. GOLDBRIX

I got to meet Chi Chi Rodriguez back in the 70s in Springfield, Ohio. He was there for a Senior Tournament, and golf exhibition / trick shots.
    He tells that he learned to play golf with ONLY a 5 iron, from driving, to lay-ups, as a wedge, and as a putter.
    Watching his exhibition I think he was legit.
    [​IMG]

AKA - Chy Chy Rod-dree-gueez by Les Nesman [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    mayhem, andial, Silver and 1 other person like this.
  18. stonedywankanobe

I can't knock anyone about their golf game.
    Usually I'm around a 10 over type. But I've had my moments. Golf is the only game I've played where my athleticism did not relate to success on a course and that's what kept me going back for more, its just you against the course and your own self doubt.

I can be playing a terrible terrible round and then pure just one shot and see it do exactly what I had envisioned and it makes it all worth while.

Best/luckiest stroke ever was a 70' pw lick for bird on an elevated par 3 after a lack luster thud off the box.
    My cousin was on the green in 1 holding the flag mockingly as if I had a chance.
    It comes off on a line and hits the green stuff rollin like its on a mission. He pulls the flag and says Holy shit! It looks from my prospective like it will run out of steam with a few ' to go but it managed the left lip then stopped and teeters in.
    I chucked my wedge in disbelief jumping around and yelling like a madman!
    After high fives I watch as he 3 putts... total fecking amateurs!

GOLDBRIX and andial like this.
  19. andial

Silver and GOLDBRIX thank you!! Feckin southfork had me thinking I was crazy, next time I play golf it's a 1 iron only!!!!!

20. GOLDBRIX

If you can hit a 1 Iron there should be no problem with any other club in your bag.
    I have played a 1 on long run-ups to the green on Links Courses. Using it like a putter but with more "juice".

21. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

More golf courses are needed for the urban community.

22. GOLDBRIX

Muji. You live in the wrong community my friend ( Or I live close to a golf-nut city). Lexington, KY .gov has FIVE, One Par 3, 4-regulation courses with one being a links style course.
    Then there are a bunch of open to the public courses, one in the county, a the Marriot Hotel, and the surrounding counties each have at least one within easy drive times.

The area of Fayette County and it's surrounding Kentucky counties I would say is a Retiree / Golfer's Dream Land. I have not hit a golf ball in about 10 years but my W.A.G. is IF you could play every day of the week it would take you close to a month BEFORE you came back for a second round on the first course you played.

FWIW