1. Metals choppy this am with downward pressure, while stocks are mixed
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thu Morning! Gold is down 4.3 to 1244 while Silver is flat at 1673. Crude is up 46 to 4520. The USD is down 5 to 9568
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Jeff Sessions confirmed as U.S. Attorney General

Discussion in 'Politics Forum (Local/National/World)' started by BarnacleBob, Feb 8, 2017.

1. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

Eyebone and TAEZZAR like this.
  2. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Very good news !

3. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

5 big issues where Sessions may have an immediate impact

[​IMG]
    USA TODAY

William Cummings
    4 hrs ago

Sen. Jeff Sessions’ critics have attacked him as a racist. His supporters reject that characterization saying he will enforce the laws without prejudice. But that debate is merely prologue now that the Alabama senator has been confirmed as America’s 84th attorney general. From here he will be judged by his actions as the country’s top law enforcement official.

Here are five issues where’s Sessions could have an immediate impact:

Immigration
    Trump won’t need to worry about having to coax his new attorney general into enforcing his immigration ban. Sessions has cited a “clear nexus between immigration and terrorism” and said an increase in the admission of Syrian refugees “places the safety and security of the American people at risk." Sessions strongly favors the construction of a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico and believes immigrants, whether here legally or not, “must be deported promptly upon their conviction for criminal offenses.” He has been a fierce opponent of any immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship. As attorney general, Sessions will lead the Trump administration charge against sanctuary cities.

Voting rights
    Jeff Sessions voted for renewal of the Voting Rights Act in 2006, but during the debate over the bill, he expressed reservations about Section 5, which required federal oversight of election laws in nine Southern states to protect minority voters. In 2013, the Supreme Court ruled it was unconstitutional to apply Section 5 only to those states. This means the Justice Department has more discretion in investigating voting rights cases. Civil rights advocates have expressed doubts that Sessions will make those cases a priority without that mandatory oversight. Sessions shares Trump’s fears of widespread voter fraud and is an advocate of voter ID laws, which critics say disproportionately disenfranchise minority voters.

Gay rights
    Sessions called the 2015 Supreme Court ruling that same-sex couples had the right to marry “unconstitutional” and said he doesn't know how it "will play out in the years to come," but during his confirmation hearing, he agreed it was settled law. Sessions also opposed a 2003 Supreme Court decision striking down anti-sodomy laws, supported a Constitutional amendment to prohibit same-sex marriage, co-sponsored the First Amendment Defense Act protecting opponents of gay marriage from discrimination lawsuits and strongly opposed extending federal hate crime protections to homosexuals.

As attorney general Sessions will take over the Justice Department's lawsuit against North Carolina's so-called "bathroom bill" limiting protections for transgender people. Many expect Sessions to withdraw or revise the suit, which could impact whether the case goes before the Supreme Court.

Marijuana legalization

As a senator, Sessions was an outspoken critic of marijuana legalization, and that has the budding industry nervous. Eight states have legalized recreational marijuana, as has the District of Columbia, and 29 states allow its medical use. The industry could be worth $21 billion within three years. Sessions could bring all that to a halt because pot remains illegal at the federal level. Polls show most Americans favor legalization, and during the campaign, Trump said he would leave the issue up to the states. Will Sessions – who once joked he thought the KKK was OK until he “found out they smoked pot” – keep that commitment?” Time will tell, but he did offer a clue during his confirmation hearing when he said, "It is not the Attorney General’s job to decide what laws to enforce."

Policing
    The Obama administration investigated several police departments across the U.S. for potential civil rights abuses in the wake of high-profile cases such as the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, Mo., and the death of Freddie Gray while in Baltimore police custody. But under Sessions, who has said lawsuits against law enforcement agencies "undermine the respect for police officers," the Justice Department is expected to take a much less aggressive approach to police reform.

A key test case will be Chicago — where Trump has threatened to "send in the feds" to stop the "carnage" — after a scathing Justice Department report cited the city's police for widespread racial bias, excessive use of force, poor training and poor oversight of officers. The city was negotiating a consent decree that would require independent monitoring to certify it is taking agreed upon steps to solve problems within the department. But Sessions has been highly critical of such decrees, calling them "dangerous" and an "end-run around the democratic process."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ediate-impact/ar-AAmKsZj?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

4. searcher

On a personal note.............

Sessions is a champion of civil asset forfeiture and believes cops can do no wrong. It will be interesting to see how he deals with things like police vs people issues.

5. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Indentured Wage Slave
    Since I no longer have any assets to forfeit as a direct attack against my personal (Tea Party) politics, I am OK with the seizure of other people's assets, so long as due process is applied, and they are taken from the scum who ensured my poverty.

madhu likes this.
  6. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

This attitude is not in the best interest of the people., but he is probably still the best choice (lesser of evils).

gringott and searcher like this.
  7. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    On another note, anyone seen Hillary lately?

gringott likes this.
  8. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Somebody wake me up when the indictments start dropping down the chute. Use PM.
    Thank you.

D-FENZ, historyrepete and TAEZZAR like this.
  9. searcher

One thing is for sure.......Time will tell.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  10. searcher

Hi Grandma! Hillary Clinton is spotted arriving at Chelsea's Manhattan home with Secret Service in tow after it's revealed son-in-law Marc CLOSED his hedge fund
    • Hillary Clinton was spotted arriving at Chelsea Clinton's home Wednesday night
    • She was seen getting out of a vehicle with Secret Service in tow around 6.30pm
    • But former Democratic presidential nominee didn't stay long and left at 7pm
    • Rumors have surfaced that Clinton is plotting a political comeback
    • She is reportedly gearing up for Democratic National Committee chair election
    • Clinton has kept relatively low profile until she was spotted at daughter's home

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4206384/Hillary-Clinton-spotted-arriving-Chelsea-s.html#ixzz4YCi4pZvn
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

11. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Fortunately, Sessions is merely an AG and NOT the USSC. Bad cops = bad cops and bad cops had better pay under the law or else they will pay at the hands of the citizenry. ALL cops do NEED to be reined in so I guess Jeff better stock up on Preparation H against all that butthurt coming his way.

Marijuana will be legalized regardless of Sessions (see! Needs Prep H already!)

Gay marriage? ALL marriage in the US is a contract with the government, God was conveniently ignored. So, for that, gay marriage will be constitutionally legal across the land. The "bathroom bill" cannot be because your genitalia determines your gender. If not, then I identify as a disabled Martian and I want welfare...neener, neener, neener, can't tax me! By the way, I'll be "hangin' out" in the girls room, thanks for your daughter!

Voting rights??? The right to play the governments Populace Pacification Game...YOU COULD BE A WINNER!!! Yeeah right.

12. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Please Democrats let Clinton be y0ur party leader. lol

searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  13. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    It's going to be tough leading the party dangling from the end of a rope!

gringott and TAEZZAR like this.
  14. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    This is one perk that really needs to go. Why are we the people still protecting any of these former elected dolts. If they are worried about their safety then they must be guilty of something. I don't believe that Carter has SS following him around, but maybe someone else can clarify this.

TAEZZAR and historyrepete like this.
  15. mayhem

Retired
    Post of the day! :funky:

TAEZZAR likes this.
  16. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Indentured Wage Slave
    That would be leading by example.

TAEZZAR and gringott like this.
  17. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

The Democrat Party should be declared Illegal due to voting manipulations of a Federal Election with regards to their actions against one of their own, Bernie Sanders

TAEZZAR likes this.
  18. keef

keef Пальто Crude Platinum Bling

Retired Hoser
    Sessions is a southern redneck.

Those guys are ok, as long as there are enough Yankees around to remind him Jefferson Davis is not in the WH.

The KKK smoked weed?

How can you smoke pot and not love Mowtown/Charlie Pride?

Not humanly possible.

19. mayhem

Retired
    Looking back to the history of those days JD tried to micro manage the battles. Who knows things might have been different if REL had been left to make his own decisions. Even Grant had the highest praise foe Lee. He was a gentleman and a great strategist. The end came when Davis refused to supply Lee, and ran off with all the gold. As a southerner, I respect Lee greatly, Davis not so much,
    The original KKK didn't last but a few years at the beginning of the reconstruction (or southern looting) years. Who knows what the current members do, I don't.
    Agree, not humanly possible. For example Ronnie Spencer, Keif Richards first true love. Ronnie was smart enough not to get tied in too deep with someone who liked junk, Smart woman. These good ole boys down here hated both negros, and long haired englishmen who 'influenced' their wimmins.. Took us Nam Vets to change a few attitudes.

Sessions is a wild card. Most of them old time Southerners like doing smokey back room deals so I guess we will have to see.

20. TAEZZAR

Jeff Sessions confirmed.png

21. searcher

TAEZZAR likes this.
  22. searcher

TAEZZAR likes this.
  23. TAEZZAR

searcher likes this.
  24. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

For you retards, the KKK was formed to protect Whites (mainly White families) during 'reconstruction'.

25. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

Idiotic much?

26. searcher

Attorney General Jeff Sessions 'spoke twice with Russian ambassador during Trump's campaign' and failed to disclose either meeting when asked during his confirmation hearing
    • Attorney General Jeff Sessions allegedly failed to disclose that he spoke with Russia's ambassador twice last year during his confirmation hearing
    • One meeting with Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyak last September was at the height of the a Russian cyber campaign, according to reports
    • Latest claims about the attorney general will raise further questions about Washington's relationship with Moscow
    • The House and Senate intelligence committee has pledged to conduct a bipartisan probe into Trump and his administration's ties to Russia
    • Democrats have mostly requested a special prosecutor but Sessions claimed on Monday he could 'recuse myself from anything that I should recuse myself on'
    • News has sparked calls for Sessions to resign in the wake of the allegations

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4273676/Jeff-Sessions-spoke-twice-year-Russians.html#ixzz4a9DUu5hz

Mujahideen likes this.
  27. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

Here goes the Republicans eating their own. The liberals send them down this road of righteousness and they follow like stooges. I'd imaging there are rules for the Senate, and cabinet nominees, like there are laws on the books. Thanks to the anti freedom mfs in politics. These are stumbling blocks for those who get out of line. You mean to tell me on December 31i can't correspond with a foreign ambassador but the next day as part of my job i must. Gtfoh

andial and Flight2gold like this.
  28. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    Rinse and Repeat....
    Iran-Contra Affair all over again.

29. searcher

30. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

The problem isn't that he did it, but that he didn't disclose that he did. And given all the trump-Russia drama, this doesn't look good.

I believe I read that he lied under oath. Idk if it's true or not, I have to look more into it.

The stuff about the kkk and weed was a joke; maybe one a politician shouldn't make, but the democrats are running are doing themselves a disfavor.

searcher likes this.
  31. the_shootist

Architect
    Sessions was asked if he met with the Russians to discuss the ELECTION. He answered truthfully. Sessions is about to lay the hammer down on the slush funds and the establishment politi-cunts are throwing everything they have out there to avoid being implicated. Stay tuned, it's going to get a lot better!!!

32. searcher

33. searcher

Crisis-hit Jeff Sessions WILL recuse himself from deciding on probe into Putin's election meddling - but refuses to quit over lies about Russia as Trump says he was NOT aware attorney general met ambassador twice
    • Attorney General Jeff Sessions failed to disclose during his confirmation hearing that he spoke with Russia's ambassador twice last year
    • On Thursday afternoon he said he would recuse himself from investigations into Russia's meddling in the election
    • Move opens the way for a special prosecutor to be appointed
    • Decision was despite the president saying earlier in the afternoon that Sessions did not need to recuse himself
    • A September meeting with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak came at the height of the Russian cyber campaign to influence the presidential race
    • Sessions said they talked about 'terrorism', that the Russian ambassador was 'gossipy' and that the meeting had been testy
    • President had issued a half-hearted endorsement, saying he was 'not aware' Sessions had met the Russian twice before the election
    • He also said he had 'total' confidence in Sessions but asked if Sessions told the truth to the Senate about the meetings said only: 'I think he probably did'
    • Republicans will hope recusal fends off Democratic attempts to claim a second Trump administration scalp over Russia links
    • President Trump calls him an 'honest man' in statement and vents about a 'total witch hunt!'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4276474/Crisis-hit-Jeff-Sessions-recuses-Russia-lies.html#ixzz4aG5aHaEr

Mujahideen likes this.
  34. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

What's clear is that Attorney General Jeff Sessions met with Russia's ambassador to the United States in July and September — then told the Senate Judiciary Committee under oath in January that "I did not have communications with the Russians."

What's less clear is whether Sessions intended to lie, a requirement of the criminal perjury statute. A 1993 Supreme Court decision said perjury must include "the willful intent to provide false testimony, rather than as a result of confusion, mistake or faulty memory."

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/98643620/

There is a lot of Russian sauce in the trump administration sandwich.

searcher likes this.
  35. the_shootist

Architect
    Anyone buying any of this 'It's the Russians' crap is either a desperate drooling Democrat or hates Trump and all he stands for. Read the transcript and stop letting fake news tell you how to think.

My God, people are as dumb as rocks today!

Irons likes this.
  36. searcher

Guilty by association: US attorney general addresses controversy over links to Russia
    RT

Published on Mar 2, 2017
    US Attorney General Jeff Sessions has denied any wrongdoing in meeting with the Russian ambassador.
    Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, Maria Zakharova, said US reports on contacts between Russian diplomats and US officials were a 'disgrace' and a 'manifestation of media vandalism.'
    Former British intelligence officer Annie Machon and Caleb Maupin talk on the issue.

37. searcher

Judge Napolitano: Sessions did the absolutely right thing
    Fox News

Published on Mar 2, 2017
    Fox News senior judicial analyst breaks down the attorney general's recusal

38. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

The other thing I see people do over and over is go breathlessly caffeinated batshit for 24 hours over some little detail and completely forget it the next day. That alone makes me avoid media and especially social media.
    Remember bird flu was going to kill all of us?
    Remember swine flu was going to kill all of us?
    Remember ebola was going to kill all of us?
    It's freaking ridiculous .

searcher likes this.
  39. the_shootist

Architect
    WOW! Just WOW!!!

40. the_shootist

Architect
    You noticed that too?