1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Job Seeker Told To Hit The Road After Asking About Compensation

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by searcher, Mar 16, 2017.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Start-up company CANCELS job-seeker's second interview after she asked about pay and benefits, telling her that 'focusing on compensation' is at odds with their 'corporate culture'
    • Taylor Byrnes from Winnipeg had completed a phone interview with SkipTheDishes and had scheduled a follow-up
    • In an email, she asked the recruiter about the hourly pay rate and benefits
    • She was told that asking about that conflicted with the company culture, and they wanted employees that cared about the company, not pay
    • After Taylor posted the exchange on Twitter, people were outraged on her behalf and the company apologized

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4317054/Company-denies-interview-jok-seeker-asks-pay.html#ixzz4bU0FsRF6
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

GOLDBRIX and Son of Gloin like this.
  2. searcher

What did the idiots at Skip The Dishes" think? She'd work for free?

3. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Only morons need to apply. They are looking for suckers.

Alton, GOLDBRIX, Aurumag and 2 others like this.
  4. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Do Canucks have EBT Cards?
    And can you use them to have restaurant meals delivered by Skipthedishes?
    Because it's really inconvenient to leave the igloo to go out to eat.

5. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Non-Black Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    Job interviews benefit both sides. It's like dating before marriage. You're going to find out about each other anyway. Better to do it before the commitment

I always try to make sure we are in the same range on the first phone interview. Why waste time if there is a mismatch of expectations

Alton, Goldhedge, Uglytruth and 2 others like this.
  6. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    This is news????? My God, social media is so full of sensitive wussies!

7. Brio

Brio Midas Member Midas Member

Can American EBT cards be used for delivery? That's some job creation model.

8. searcher

Ensoniq likes this.
  9. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

I have had some interesting job interviews over the years, a couple of times I've ended the interview saying "Thank you very much, but I'm not right for this job" and got my ass out of there.

birddog, Uglytruth, Irons and 2 others like this.
  10. searcher

When I retired I thought I'd look for a part time job to keep busy. Had a few interviews where I actually laughed at some of the questions I was asked / answers to questions I asked. After a few times of that I figured it was time to totally retire. Haven't looked at a help wanted ad since.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  11. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

What gets me is that an employer demands that I "apply" for a position. No. You are not the master and I am not the servant. We deal as peers. We will work together to get the job done. I am a good worker and I support my team. But I won't put up with the Dickens-Era caste mentality.

12. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    What? She's not suing for pre-employment harassment and filing for mental disability resulting from gender based micro-aggression? What are we coming to?

SC

Alton and GOLDBRIX like this.
  13. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Ha! I did the same thing not too long ago. I thought I would pick up another part time job for the winter when I have nothing better to do and ended up telling the guy we are both wasting our time here and wished him luck.

14. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    I once won a job position by telling the interviewer: "I can work long hours, doing tedious work, with difficult people." Worst ten years of my life. If you don't want the job, don't try that.

SC

15. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

And then there are the really stupid assholes. I remember looking at a job listing for a programmer. Great! For the IBM PC. Yeah, I can pick that up quickly. Requires 5 years experience in PC programming. WTF?! This was in 1983. Asshole.

Around that time, I interviewed for an applications programming job. It looked very easy and straightforward, just software for equipment leasing. The guy wanted the programming to be in ADA (correction: Modula2). Well, okay, any decent programmer can learn a new language, that's fine with me. Everything was great until we walked outside and I wanted to talk about pay. I was poor and wanting to get a foot in the door, so I just said I was looking for $25k. Instant frost. I never heard back from him. Asshole.

In 1991 or 1992 I had an interview for an embedded programming job. He said he wanted the programming to be in... Wait for it! Not C... But C++. And years of experience. Asshole. At that time, C was awkard for embedded systems, except for the super simple ones. And because C++ was so new, I told him that he must want Bjarne himself. The asshole did not have a good reply.

No worries, I have had good luck since then!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  16. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

One company told me the pay range but after 3, 2 hr interviews they tried to low ball me. I said you told me the pay was XK yr and he replied but you'd be making more than your boss. I simply pointed out I had spent over an hour with him and lets face it he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Another interview they were doing these forms by hand and I asked if they had ever thought about doing them a different way. (I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP) The guy put his head down in his hands and said no we don't ever have ideas here.

I've come to the conclusion they don't want employees they want desperate, broke, wage slaves that follow wrong orders without question, take abuse without saying a word all the while wondering why they can't retain people.......

17. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    That sounds like my job, except for the long hours and difficult people, and I do rather enjoy the work...

Low pay!

You forgot to mention the low pay.

SilverCity likes this.
  18. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

That's not necessarily what they want, but what you describe is the result of too many applicants for too few jobs. As long as the employers know there's an endless stream of applicants, they have no incentive to improve working conditions, raise wages, or treat employees any better.
    ...and they end up with unhappy disgruntled workers constantly looking for an elusive exit to job nirvana, but in the mean time if they want their bills to keep getting paid, they suck it up and take their positions at the bottom of the hill the sh1t rolls down.

19. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

I was interviewed by a new manager, mensa geek for a promotion and his first question - The word kernel/colonel - give me the different spellings and their meanings.

Seriously.... I told myself after that I would not continue to work for that guy and soon after left the company.

searcher likes this.
  20. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I was in sales for years and walked out of a couple of bogus interviews. I also worked for a bottled water company for 18 years which is a good business if run properly. However, the company I worked for would promise their new employees and managers the moon, but after they discovered that 10% of the customers were 90+ day unpaid write-offs, all of the other shortcomings came to light. By that time people had already left their other job and they were stuck, for awhile at least.

searcher likes this.
  21. Brio

I'm supposed to hire someone this spring, not sure where I'll find anyone willing to put in the work necessary to earn the ticket. I've been looking for over a year and while the wages are damn good, no one wants to work outside or apply themselves. I'm sure there are people out there who would love the chance but I haven't found any yet.

Ensoniq and hammerhead like this.
  22. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

What's a job? Or more importantly for me any way, do I have to depend on someone else's generosity to provide me with an ability to support myself and my family?

23. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

How have you been getting the word out?

24. Brio

I haven't and I can't until the licensee I work for gives me the go ahead. Best I can do is have a few possibles lined up, candidates I think can gain the ticket that's needed. Which is a roll of the dice since the failure rate on the exam is 90%. .gov is deadly serious about their revenue.

25. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well, It obviously is not security work on a parking lot.

26. Brio

LMAO!!! No it isn't. I feel the need to go start a fire turn up the tunes and swill a cider. It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

27. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

My oh my! The left IS failing!