1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Lessons from antique history books

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by ErrosionOfAccord, Aug 31, 2017.

1. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    I was at an antique store in Ohio. I generally look through the books in these places in search of tomes printed prior to 1913. In this particular place I picked up a Blacks Law 3rd for $8, Quakenbos History of the United States 1868 $5 and a local Ohio history book for $50. I haven't priced the history book but I could easily get $300 on fleabay. Blacks Law are good for about $400 and the local history book is pretty much priceless to me

Anyone who has been around GIM long should be able to recall the story of William Morgan. In September of 1826 he went missing and was presumed murdered for threatening to expose the secrets of the masons. The 1868 book dedicates two paragraphs to this instance in the John Quincy Adams chapter. As it so happens JQA is also the president who raised import duties which aggravated people in South Carolina severely enough that they flew their flags at half mast.

I find it odd that Shays Rebellion is mentioned but the Whiskey Rebellion is not. Other than the above, nothing seems too far out of whack under the presidential entries. Old Hickory is up next in my reading.

Another thing people would find shocking today is how Christian religion was brought into the beginning of the book. In particular as to how the Indians came to be here, several theories were presented in this regard.

I would call my reading thus far to be far more understanding of the Constitution with a leaning toward libertarian philosophies. We, here at GIM have a pretty damned good understanding IMHO.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Aurumag, EricTheCat, mayhem and 3 others like this.
  2. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    I am also a book collector, here in Ohio, to boot. Always on the lookout for early printings of history books, just for the hope of a less "Marxist/Progressivized" perspective. Often, there are important historical works that are no longer even available, in any format. There's enormous shame in that fact. One case in point, which I posted on a few months ago, not American history, but important Western Civ history is 'Hakluyt's Voyages.' These are multi volume sets of tales of the many English merchants, explorers and sailors as told first hand to the author, Richard Hakluyt and are an indispensable record of a part of the history of Western Civilization. No longer available in any format! You have to search eBay or the old used-book stores to find copies. It's up to those of us who care to find and preserve as much of that history as we can, before it's lost.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    ErrosionOfAccord likes this.
  3. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    You may have been the one who turned me on to the idea of collecting old books and where to procure them. I'm giving serious consideration to having a couple rebound but haven't done the legwork on that project yet.

Son of Gloin likes this.
  4. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Definitely a worthy hobby. Not only do you get all these wonderful old books in your personal library, but you can read them, (carefully, of course) and save a piece of our history, before it's wiped out. Of interest to you might be to check out some websites dedicated to the preservation of old books. I've picked up a lot of stuff over the years, but there's a bit of skill that goes into keeping these old books from degenerating. It's definitely a labor of love.

5. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Oh, one thing I should point out to you, as a collector. There are a variety of ways you can work on these old books to preserve them, but be careful. Some things you might do can alter or even destroy a books collector value. Rebinding is one of them. If your sole goal is preservation of content rebinding can be a great idea, but not if one of your goals is preserving collector value. Another thing to know, as a collector, is to never discard a dust-jacket on an old collectible book, no matter how tattered. It's part of the original state and charm of that book.

Ignore all the above if you already knew it.

Oldmansmith likes this.
  6. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    1868 jackson1.jpg 1868 jackson2.jpg

Someone_else and Son of Gloin like this.
  7. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    The previous post is from 1868, this one is from 1895. Jackson1.jpg jackson2.jpg Jackson3.jpg jackson4.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Someone_else, Son of Gloin and mayhem like this.
  8. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

How true, how true, indeed, Gimli.

I once found a first edition copy of 1984, sans dust jacket. I took it to an old book dealer friend and he informed me (at the time, years ago) it was worth about $50.00 with out the jacket. So, of course, being somewhat masochistic, I asked him; "and what if it did have the dust jacket?" His reply was, oh, about $800.

BF

Son of Gloin likes this.
  9. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    Civics1.jpg IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0871.JPG IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0873.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Someone_else and Son of Gloin like this.
  10. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    One of my book collecting obsessions is series books, like Modern Library, Everyman's Library and the Viking Portable series. In the modern library, for instance, if you find a copy of 'The Great Gatsby' without a jacket, you'll be lucky to get thirty bucks for it. Find one with a reasonably nice dust jacket and I've seen them go for eight hundred dollars, or more. There are a couple for sale on eBay, or were recently, for up to fifteen hundred dollars. They'll sell, eventually. Another example is a ML first of 'Moby Dick.' Without DJ it sells for $20, or so and will bring $400-$700 with a decent jacket. It's basically just a bit of paper with words and a design on it, but makes all the difference regarding collector value.

11. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    I have some outstanding civics lessons from the 1846 book. Lots of original intent stuff but I need a better setup for taking pictures as it is quite fragile. Out of time for now.

Son of Gloin and Thecrensh like this.
  12. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

[​IMG]
    If you are just interested in reading and not collecting you can read it here along with a treasure trove of original other books.

https://archive.org/details/cihm_37676

Hakluyt's collection of the early voyages, travels, and discoveries of the English nation [microform]

by Hakluyt, Richard, 1552?-1616; Evans, R. H. (Robert Harding), 1778-1857; Hakluyt, Richard, 1552?-1616. Principal navigations, voyages and discoveries of the English nation

Publication date 1811
    Topics Voyages and travels, Voyages
    Publisher London : Printed for R.H. Evans, ... J. Mackinlay, ... and R. Priestly, ...
    Collection university_of_alberta_libraries_microfilm; university_of_alberta_libraries;toronto; microfilm; additional_collections
    Digitizing sponsor University of Alberta Libraries
    Contributor Canadiana.org
    Language English

"Vol. IV."

Part of a CIHM set. For individual microfiches in this set see CIHM microfiche nos. 37672-37677

Caption title: The fourth volume of the principal navigations, voyages, traffiques, and discoveries of the English nation ..

On verso of t.p.: G. Woodfall, Printer, Paternoster-row, London

Added t.p.: Supplement to Hakluyt's collection of voyages--p. [393]-613

"This edition is an accurate reprint of the 1598-1600 folio, and was edited by R.H. Evans. Hakluyt's original work was published in three volumes. The supplement found in this volume and the entire fifth volume contain accounts of several voyages, each with special t.p., which were either suggested by Hakluyt or published by him. This supplement and the fifth volume were published as one volume in 1812 by R.H. Evans under the title: A selection of curious, rare, and early voyages"--Cf. The bibliographer's manual of English literature / William Thomas Lowndes and National Union Catalog pre-1956 imprints

Filmed from a copy of the original publication held by the Morisset Library, University of Ottawa

13. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    "Filmed from a copy of the original publication held by..."
    Wow. You can't get better than that. It's immensely important that these kinds of historical works are held in archives and they need to be protected at any cost. Microfiche as well as digital archives are important. Hard copy archives are even more important, in my humble opinion. The more people who own physical hard copies of historical, philosophical and scientific works, the more difficult it is for revisionists to alter or erase history and rewrite it according to their own vision.

Just want to add, great find edsl48. Thanks.

14. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Son of Gloin likes this.
  15. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    Interestingly The British historian recognized the reason for American patriotism, as many of us at GIM recognize its demise.
    brits1.png brit2.png

Son of Gloin likes this.
  16. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    Son of Gloin likes this.