1. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gold and Silver finish the week down
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/29/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- DOWN 20.80 Silver $17.19-- down 61 Oil $49.33-- down 0.29 USD $98.89 -- down 0.99

Lifetime Stocks of Boots, Cloths, etc

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by tom baxter, Feb 2, 2017.

1. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    There are a few basics of life that store well and that it would be painful to do without. I personally have bought good supplies of my favorite tramping boots, cotton shirts, etc. I have a lifetime supply of tooth brushes, earbuds, and dental floss. All these items are easily stored and don't take up much space. I began out of concern over a total SHTF collapse but in recent years have realized that the older quality boots and clothing I prefer is rapidly disappearing and being replaced by substandard CRAP! My preferred work shorts and tank tops in particular are being usurped by synthetic blended rubbish out of china.

Anyway I was wondering if there were other such essential luxury items people are stockpiling? I'm not talking about AR's, seeds, 22 ammo and all the other gear typically stockpiled by preppers. I'm more interested in the little every day things that make our lives enjoyable, that can be stocked for decades without worry of deterioration.

Howdy, Eyebone, Alton and 2 others like this.
  2. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Here's some that we stock up on.
    laundry soap
    hand/bath soap
    T.P.
    underwear
    Your favorite spices

For great durable clothing,
    Look at Duluth Trading, pricey, but watch their sales.
    Don't bite until 30% off & free shipping

3. #48Fan

#48Fan Silver Member Silver Miner

We buy 2 liters of Jim Beam every month.

4. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

And how much do you save ?

gringott, oldgaranddad and Usury like this.
  5. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

I may be wrong, but I don't think he's "saving" any of it. lol untitled(2).png

6. #48Fan

Believe it or not, we save all of it. I'm a beer guy, but beer doesn't stay good very long hehe.

oldgaranddad and Joe King like this.
  7. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

To my wife's dismay, i stock, hoard, all my niceties. But alas I'm a simple man. I've done without and can. We run outta things in her daily planning. She refuses to see my forward thinking. I've got her kitchen stocked beyond her knowledge. I've also got far more shtf wares than needed.
    Ima little younger than some here however i don't expect we'll be thrown into the dark ages. It may get bleak but not long lasting.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Joseph and gringott like this.
  8. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

9. TAEZZAR

Just an "old fart's" opinion/observation.
    I have watched & listened, for over 50 years, before the internet, all sorts of predictions about doom & gloom. I see the possibility, but as I grow older I see more. I see, as you say, "It may get black but not long lasting." Think about this, the mega corps', utilities, banksters, etc., cannot survive without us, we lactate for them ! Yes, there SHALL be times of trouble, but they will be short lived, for the reasons mentioned. That does not mean that one should not be prepared, as well as one can, for that event. It does mean, however, that one should not be obsessed with it.

10. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

Just remember rubber dries out. I used to buy boots a few years ahead and some of the rubber soles dried out and it shortened their lives alot.

Hystckndle and TAEZZAR like this.
  11. Joe King

Yep. I once heard that boots are made for walkin'.
    ...not sittin' around.

TAEZZAR and historyrepete like this.
  12. phoneman

phoneman Silver Member Silver Miner

Canning supplies. We don't drink booze but, thought we might store some for barter. Over some time heard some booze won't hold up for many years. Is that true? Know beer won't. We do buy small bottles of wine to use for cooking since store bought cooking wine is too salty. You are right about boots. I have had new boots that had been stored for years fall apart the first time I tried to use them.[China] Tip on guns. Kept 3 long guns in unheated out building. All were put in Silicone-Treated Gun Socks in the same area for three years. 2 were in perfect condition, the 3rd was rusty. Had a different big name gun sock on it. When I saw the rust, I threw that gun sock away.

Company provided rubber boots for jobs in water were required to be hung upside down to keep ozone out of boots.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    TAEZZAR likes this.
  13. tom baxter

Retired now
    Good point, I have seen old boots where the soles turned to mush and ones where they simply went hard. I will, here we go... Rotate them lol.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  14. tom baxter

Retired now
    I'd like to believe that, I really would, but at some point in the future our entire empire system will collapse into a darkage, they always do. But with half the oil reserves still in the ground and over half the coal I don't think it will be anytime soon.

What will happen though I think is a rapid collapse of the economy, a reset designed to get rid of a few billion eaters.

15. TAEZZAR

If you are using oil & coal (energy) as the pivotal commodity, we have magnetic flux as our future energy source. This is being studied & I see it as our major energy within 25 years.
    I am not saying we won't have a reset & I understand the high probability of a population reduction.
    I think any big problem will come from money/credit. A further & more severe attack, on what I call our "work credits".
    If there is a reduction in population, do you think it will be with the elderly, the poor/welfare recipients, the already reduced middle class, or the upper few at the million dollarish area?

16. Treasure Searcher

Treasure Searcher Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

I tend to stock up, when things are on sale. I may look like a hoarder, at the checkout counter, but a sale is a sale.

Every so often, I look at the price tags on items I stockpile (motor oil, etc.) and think of how much money I saved by stocking up. Not only are you preparing for SHTF, but beating inflation, too.

17. TAEZZAR

I will add another commodity to the list.

Diamond brand "Strike Anywhere" Stick matches. We cannot live without fire.
    A couple of Bic lighters would be good too.

GOLDZILLA, sandblaster and phoneman like this.
  18. #48Fan

Yeah, whenever I need a few extra dollars for free shipping on amazon, I get some kind of fire starter/ferrous rod.

19. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I find that people go ga ga for strike anywhere wind proof matches. I take them with me camping and give a few away strategically. What I get in return in favors, advice, tips and help is worth more than a case of those matches.

historyrepete and TAEZZAR like this.
  20. historyrepete

This is why i like this forum. Hearkens back the days my ol man took us boy scouting. Dad was an Ironworker who was a know it all. My ol man knew knots and math.And shrubs leaves and trees. And much in between. He was the life of the campfire. I'll save the stories...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Silver, Uglytruth, TAEZZAR and 2 others like this.
  21. Joe King

Here's a tip for ya to make a few emergency matches.
    Use some of your wifes nail polish (assuming she has some) to paint a few matches. Cover completely with a thin coat.
    It makes them extra water proof and the dried lacquer on them makes 'em burn better and not get blown out by the wind as easily.
    ...and they still strike easily.

22. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

...and it makes them "fabulous " too!

But really, that's a great idea.

Son of Gloin, TAEZZAR and Joe King like this.
  23. historyrepete

Used to wax em for water proofing

TAEZZAR and Joe King like this.
  24. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

Keep the car in good condition and the tank full too.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  25. tom baxter

Retired now
    I have bought a good supply of MP3 players that run on AAA batteries and have other electronics tucked away such as transceivers. I'm not a fan of devices that have integrated LIPO batteries though because the batteries die in 5 or 6 years and they are not easy to replace. LIPO's are great, don't get me wrong, but the removable ones make more sense. It's getting almost impossible to buy a smart phone with a removable now.

The major problem with many electronics is the capacitors. They dry out over time and the device wont work.

Eyebone likes this.
  26. Eyebone

Maybe some kind of .50 or missile system for the driverless zombie cars?

TAEZZAR likes this.
  27. Eyebone

Yeah I believe in it.

Tee shirts and undies and socks for decades.

Coats and long undies and gear for the coming ice age.

TAEZZAR and Son of Gloin like this.
  28. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

Just a few months ago, I had a motherboard go bad. It was pretty obvious, the caps next to the CPU were bulged and starting to leak. I thought about replacing them, but they were high uF and I didn't have that value. I could not find a comparable motherboard to replace it, so I bought a new motherboard, CPU, and memory.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  29. Garyw

Garyw Silver Member Silver Miner

tired and retired
    I used to spend a lot of time at another prepper forum and remember a man that told his story of life in Bosnia Slovinia and He stockpiled bic lighters and robbed a whiskey factory in early days and used for trading stock. Things were so bad there they buried the dead in city parks. It was a real eye opener. They had to sneak out of boarded up houses at night and do trading.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  30. tom baxter

Retired now
    I haven't looked into the design of small surface mount devices like phones and MP3s but they must have capacitors as well. I wonder if their design is more long lasting? Obviously you're a tech, a good skill to have. I am an amateur, both in electronics and radio.

31. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I can't be sure, but I suspect that when size is at a premium, the mfg will choose the more expensive (eg, monolithic or tantalum) caps over the larger and cheaper electrolytic caps, which can dry out or leak eventually. I read some rumors that a few years ago there were a lot of really bad electrolytic caps made causing a high rate of failures in some devices.

32. Joe King

It's a power thing. Those caps next to the cpu that Someone_else was referring to are for the cpu. A little mp3 player or phone doesn't consume anything close to the current a desktop computer's cpu does.

33. #48Fan

Also, when I need honey, I buy 2. One to replace and one to store. Do the same thing for TP.

Son of Gloin and Someone_else like this.
  34. pimples

pimples Gold Member Gold Chaser

I used to think like that but now I only hoard pm's... here's why: if you have the stuff people will hurt you to get it. Even the best marksman cannot always out think someone intent on getting your stuff.... now, I have changed my strategy . I will be one that has nothing so I will not be a threat and blend in to the woodwork. Yes, I will even go to soup lines at the church. I will hold the hoard until times get better. I will win.

35. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

If it comes to that we all loose.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  36. nowon

nowon New Member Seeker

buying what you normally eat and stocking extra when on sale is easy way to save money and cover some of the downside risk if shtf

TAEZZAR likes this.
  37. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    Blankets. Nice, military style all wool or 85% wool blankets. I hate being cold at night. I also have a ton of socks, t-shirts and underwear. All the brands I like best, comfortable and durable. Soaps of all kinds. Regular bars, dish-soap, cleaning soap and borax, washing soda and Fells Naptha to make laundry soap. Coffee bricks and tea bags. I like the bricks because they're vacuum sealed. And lots of filters for my stove top percolators. If you've never had perked coffee, you need to give it a try. Way better than electric perk, I think. Those little blue Gillette Good News disposable razors. They last for weeks and give me a nice shave. I know I'll never run out of them baby's. I just use bar soap and water to prep for shaving, it does a great job. There's other stuff I forgot to mention, I'm certain.

And of course I have food, water, guns and ammo, flashlights and batteries and knives. Nobody can think of everything, though. I guarantee, if TSHTF, there will be something each of us will have forgotten to stock up on.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  38. TAEZZAR

Anyone that has camped & drinks coffee has one in their camp gear, I would think !

Son of Gloin likes this.
  39. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    Probably so, one of the little Coleman types, I would imagine. I rooted around on eBay and found some of the old vintage Pyrex glass percolators and a couple of vintage Revereware stainless and copper models. They both do a great job. The key is low heat, letting it perk to your desired strength. The low heat creates a nice, smooth wonderful tasting cup of coffee. Love it.

historyrepete and TAEZZAR like this.
  40. TAEZZAR

YUP, low & slow. Overheating makes for bitter coffee.
    I put a paper filter in the basket, to keep the fine grounds out. Some people like the grounds, not me.

Son of Gloin likes this.