1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Lifetime Stocks of Boots, Cloths, etc

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by tom baxter, Feb 2, 2017.

1. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    I prefer to leverage the firepower I have accumulated to protect we I have. The keys to success for that strategy lie in the fact I'm not alone and when I use the term firepower it won't be just me who will be leveraging it. I mean really, I can only carry about 4 firearms at a time :)

oldgaranddad likes this.
  2. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

I've observed that the quality of cotton peaked somtime around the sixties. I'm still using a couple of bath towels that were made 45 years ago. Nothing made since then dries better or lasts longer. I stocked up on cotton socks and underwear 15 years ago, they're all worn out now and I can't find any suitable replacements, it all seems to be junk and they push polyester more and more every year. The decline of all these items in economic terms is hidden inflation.
    I have a long list of things I would buy if I could go back in time. Most Chinese boots are so poor that sometimes I buy slightly used US made ones on ebay.
    Now is the time to beat yourself up because you didn't stock up 15 years ago. What will it be like in another 15 years?

Son of Gloin, Uglytruth and Eyebone like this.
  3. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    I know exactly how you feel. I have bought some good quality gear off eBay and I scout the local thrift shops for quality old furniture, made from real wood. It's becoming an obsession with me almost, this scouting for solid old products. I have some Sharp solar panels from the early 00's and though they were expensive compared to todays teir 1 panels they are vastly superior I suspect. All the German and Japanese solar factoried are cloded no, you simply can't buy quality panels.

Howdy likes this.
  4. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Cloded? Is that an Australian term?
    ...and as far as what's better, I'm no expert on them but was under the impression that the efficiency of todays solar panels are superior to the older ones in that more light energy is converted to electrical energy.

5. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

They are better. The new Sharp panels all require an expensive MPPT controller. The old ones did not.

6. tom baxter

Retired now
    Sorry, typo, I meant CLOSED. They have closed most of their facilities worldwide, I don't know if they make any in Japan still but their site does not show them and the panels are unobtainable here.
    The new panels we see come mostly out of China, some from Taiwan and Korea but they are not of the same quality. The Chinese put a 20 year warranty on the box but what does that mean coming from a Chinese factory? We have had plenty of them fail after 3 and 5 years down here and I have a 20 year old sharp still going strong. Only time will tell which ones past the test.

Joe King likes this.
  7. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

8. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

Aww, Man, please, you must at least have some water put away, otherwise your going to go through that stash pretty quick.

FEMA may not come right away.

Unless you have some redeeming qualities, I'll take a tenth ounce per gallon.

9. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I think he means that he will cultivate the appearance of being nobody special. I am thinking it might be a good idea to go to the thrift store and buy clothes that are too large. When everyone else is hungry, I will wear the oversized clothes so it looks like I'm losing weight too.

10. tom baxter

Retired now
    I used to like you do, 15 years ago. Now I realize TSMNHTF for years or decades and every year the new stuff we buy gets crappier and crappier. If in 10 years time we in the depths of a slow grinding depression you will be glad you put a few pairs of quality socks and boots aside.

Personally I no longer believe society will collapse in a heap in my lifetime. I see far too much control by governments. They know about TSHTF and they have prepared for it too. As long as they can deliver food to the masses the masses will not revolt. That is the key, food! Look at the french revolution, the collapse of Easter island's civilization, the fall of Rome. One thing they all had in common was a lack of food for the working/loafing classes.

Son of Gloin likes this.
  11. Agavegirl1

Agavegirl1 Silver Miner Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

You will not believe me if I told you.
    I like Duluth Trading for a lot of heavy duty pants, flannel etc and Lands End Super T's for cotton t-shirts. I have some Ecko sandals and Rockport hiking boots that have lasted decades.

Son of Gloin likes this.