1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Local Walmart requires credit/debit card payment only for ammo, wont accept cash

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CopperSilverGold, Jan 19, 2013.

1. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    First time I have seen that. I think I bought ammo 2-3 weeks ago and paid cash with no issues. Today they have a sign up that they will only accept debit or credit card payments. Is anyone else seeing that at their local Walmart?

At least there was ammo to purchase, but not alot. The guy told me they just got it in this morning, and expects it to be sold out by this afternoon. Didn't see much at all of 40 S&W, 357 Magnum/38 Special, and 9mm had about 16 boxes total.

smooth, Goldhedge, GOLDBRIX and 2 others like this.
  2. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Obviously Walmart is going to cow-tow down to this PROGRESSIVE Controlled Big Goobermint by having a paper trial for where the ammo went.

"Vee Vaunt to see yoor Paa-pers"

M.O.
    Gb

porcupine73 likes this.
  3. Argent Dragon

Argent Dragon Site Support Site Mgr Site Supporter

This is just great. Does BofA know about this because they've been putting pressure on merchants in the firearm business just for political pleasure.

And here's the next line during purchase, "I'm sorry sir but your card has declined the purchase."

Treasure Searcher likes this.
  4. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Are you trying to tell me fiat is not money? I thought it was legal tender for all debts, public and private. This should not be taken lightly.

<SLV> likes this.
  5. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

It's not a "debt" at the check out counter. It is an incomplete transaction. It is a debt if you have it and payment is to follow.

They could require payment in sea shells if they wanted. You don't walk away with the goods before payment is made.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    WhyKnow, SongSungAU and smooth like this.
  6. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Not true in MI. I purchased some 40 S&W with cash today. Have the receipt for anyone that doesn't believe me.

TomD and CopperSilverGold like this.
  7. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

I would try to pay up front at the main register instead of the gun counter. If they demand a credit card then, just decline and they will have to pay someone to take it back to the ammo shelf.

Nickelless and CopperSilverGold like this.
  8. CopperSilverGold

The local Walmart here doesn't allow you to take it without paying first, always been that way as far as I remember. You can pay for other non-ammo items at the same time at the ammo counter, but you can't take your ammo and other goods to the main register for one payment transaction. All of their ammo is behind the counter in a locked case, so there's no grabbing and putting it in the shopping cart without forking over a payment and having a salesclerk retrieve it.

I don't buy enough to raise any eyebrows and alot of what I buy is used up at the firing range. I was happy just to be able to get some without having to order online and waiting for it, but annoyed too that this policy is now in place now. I didn't see any signs about box limits for what it's worth. The thought of buying all the 9mm and 40 S&W crossed my mind but then I decided food was important too lol.

9. Argent Dragon

Argent Dragon Site Support Site Mgr Site Supporter

I've seen it happen both ways and in the 'same' store. On my lunch break, I had to get a clerk called in at the sporting goods to unlock the ammo case. Then she sent me up to the front to pay for it. After work at the same store I had to pay for it at the ammo counter.

Sometimes the worker bees don't always follow protocol.

10. CopperSilverGold

So far no luck for me. It's always the same guy, has been for 3-4 years. He's not real talkative either, so trying to build up a rapport just doesn't work with him. He seems to be the type to follow the rules. There are 2 other Walmarts in the area so maybe I'll swing by tomorrow to see if things are any different there.

11. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    i have seen several walmarts that dont keep a cash drawer back in sporting goods....so you either pay with a card at sporting goods....or take it to the frount if you want to pay with cash......makes sense to me since many associates have access to the checkout at the gun counter and who would make sure who was responsible for any missing cash .....jezzzzzz....now good business is a conspiracy :hmmmm2:

12. CopperSilverGold

1) Never said it was a conspiracy
    2) Mentioned it has been the same guy at the counter for many years, in fact he is the ONLY one that has been able to ring up sales over the years I have been going
    3) Also mentioned that this is a very recent change in policy and they did allow cash transactions in the past

Did you skip over these points before you made your post?

13. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    Did YOU skip over the part where i did not reply directly to your original post? my response was to ALL the collective responses to your original post.

when i am replying to one specific direct post i try always to quote the post i am responding to just as i did in this one

14. Wellsburg

Wellsburg Silver Member Silver Miner

Small Business Owner
    I went to our local Wal of Mart today with two things on the shopping list, Great Value canned Carrots and 223 ammo.

There were exactly 6 cans of carrots, all dented with torn paper labels, and zero ammo in 223, 22, 32, 38, 40, 45, 12 gauge, 410, 357, and several others. The ammo case was nearly bare other than a few odd-ball calibers I did not need.

They did have a few boxes of 30-06, but the price was about $5.00 higher than Cabelas just up the road.

15. CopperSilverGold

Sorry didnt mean to come across as being a dick. Your post didn't reply to anyone in particular, so it's hard to know exactly who is being addressed and who isn't.

Anyway, went back today and there was a different guy for the first time in years that I have seen. So maybe it is strictly due to the multiple associate scenario, maybe not. However, another local Walmart about 6-7 miles away didn't have any restrictions with cash vs debit/credit cards, and at that location I have seen multiple associates. Not sure what to make of it.

The main one I go to was still short with no 9mm, 2 boxes of 38 special, no 357 magnum, no 45, about 8 boxes of 40 S&W, no 7.62. The guy there said they received a shipment today and it was 3 boxes total. :eek:

16. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

It would be interesting to see which Walmarts have what type of ammo left on the shelves.Lack of , say .223 and 7.62x39, would tell a lot about the local population's mindset and prepardness.Nothing left on the shelves here around Atlanta area, and I know even worse out in the country, I ran into a few desperate buyers who drove quite a ways, one did a 2 hour drive to get 500 rnds at Georgia Arms.3 friends went there yesterday and loaded up, but another went today and they were out of SS109, he settled for some 7.62x39. Just now they are hit or miss.Since there 500 rd limit imposed 2 weeks ago, they have sold enough to arm the entire state of Georgia.

17. JEKYLL-7

JEKYLL-7 Seeker Seeker

You can almost read what's on people's minds by what they are driving up the prices of. The last time I was on ebay, small base .223 dies were going through the roof. You can guess the intended use of these dies, and thus the current high interest in them, but realistically is RCBS going to stop making dies because of the possibility of AR's being restricted/banned? There's no imminent need to buy the dies, yet people are in full panic mode! :confused:

18. Nickelless

Nickelless If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox Midas Member

Have I inspired you to purchase carrots, Wellsburg? :biggrin:

http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthr...e-inventory-and-de-facto-food-price-inflation