1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice on eBay and Paypal

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by Someone_else, Sep 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I started with ebay probably 1998 or so and until 2001 or 2002, I had racked up a modest 200+ positive feedback. I usually bought, and I usually sent a money order, sometimes a check or cash. When my coworkers were talking about Paypal in 1999, I had a really bad feeling about them. They were paying a modest startup credit ($10?) and they claimed there would never be any fees; they would make their profit off the "float". I was immediately thinking "BS!"

Around 2002 or so I pretty much stopped using ebay, maybe one or two transactions a year. Then in the last few years, I noticed that sellers were only using Paypal, and some were pretty arrogant/strict about nothing else. That put me off a lot.

Over the years, I have read many horror stories of Paypal siding with crooked sellers and crooked buyers.

Now my wife wants to sell on ebay. It's hard to find clear answers, but it looks like a seller MUST accept Paypal as a payment option. I really do NOT like that at all. But if I must dance with the devil, I want to keep everything on a tight leash.

Questions:
    As an ebay seller, do I have to link Paypal account to a bank account? I can start an account with only $100, so that is not a problem. Does Paypal have the ability to remove funds from this account? Or can I lock it so that Paypal can only deposit into this account? Is there anything non-obvious that Paypal could do to screw me over?

As a seller, what are my best options? Thanks!

2. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    be intresting to know what others do....esp big sellers

ebay requireing paypal as a payment format has been true for several years now

i do link mine to a bank account and a credit card......i like to buy via credit card for the extra protections....i like the link to the bank account for ease of transfer back n forth services......i am of the opinion they cant take what isnt there...its quite easy to transfer funds back to your bank when they clear and then move them to another account......

i have never had a issue with paypal and i have over 650 feedback positive experiences and probably 3 times that in transactions

i will say this after paying ebay fees...and paypal fees the cost of selling does go up for sure

3. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

I've not had an issue with paypal so far.
    Been selling since 2000.
    Between paypal & ebay, figure 15% in fees .
    A majority of my sales are between 1000 to 3000 miles away.
    That 15% is cheap advertising.
    I see no harm in trying.
    What's the risk?

As far as do
    I think not, but paypal will charge you to send you a check through the mail to collect your earnings, while transfers to your bank are free.
    Just open up a fresh bank account for ebay only business.
    Remember, at $20.K you are going to get a 1099. so keep some records just like any other business.

What is the wife thinking of specializing in?

4. Someone_else

We are making soap from recycled vegetable oil. We are still trying to figure out how to ship them at a reasonable price.

Scorpio likes this.
  5. glockngold

6. Someone_else

A few batches have interesting visual effects, like color swirls, but most are just plain off-white. The main points are that it is "eco-friendly" as the vegetable oil is used to make a useful product instead of going into a landfill, we don't add weird chemicals (just light essential oils or fragrances), and we don't remove the glycerin (a by-product of reacting vegetable oil and lye), so they are naturally moisturizing for the skin.

I use our soap for everything, and have noticed that our soap seems to last a LOT longer than commercial soaps. I wonder if they do something to make them get used up faster. Also, I use it as a shaving soap (it's decent) and instead of shampoo. It lathers very well and keeps my hair clean.

The bars are around four ounces each. It just doesn't make sense to send less than ten or twenty, but I think it will be hard to get a new customer to commit to that many. Maybe we will just have to send small samples to build customer confidence.

7. glockngold

Currently, with ebay shipping rates, 8 ounces can first class mail for $2.60.

Once you make an ebay sale, include in the package a flier with a percent off their next purchase from "your web site".
    Use ebay to reel them in, use your own web site to make the real profits.

That said...
    How much time are you going use making a bar of soap, selling it,packaging it, mailing it, etc.
    Seems like a lot of time to make what? 5 or 10 bucks profit per sale? If that?

I think there are other things to sell on ebay that can turn a profit easier.
    I specialize in tools.
    Was talking to a couple last night that prowl goodwill for designer clothing to flip.
    They just picked up a leather Disney bomber jacket for 40 bucks that sold for $280.
    Searcher has posted a million videos (it seems) in the bartering & horse trading thread on guys that buy yardsale & sell ebay.
    Just sayin.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  8. Someone_else

Yes. That is completely unacceptable.
    That sounds good. But until the customer has confidence in buying a "party pack", the shipping is a problem.
    I appreciate your advice, but the question is not how to make money on ebay. The question is how to sell the soap. Please understand the two facts, that I do NOT want to sell on ebay if I can avoid it, and I DO need to sell soap. My wife wants to sell on ebay, so that is the purpose of my question.

9. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    ....key search words are important...."free shipping" is important......many products consumeables i get on ebay will have a flier/card etc enclosed with discounted reorder from a website....good pictures...look at competitions adds n one up them...home made ..made in usa ...etc...allergys...perfumes or lack of is important...

Someone_else likes this.