1. Stocks finally have a pull back yesterday, do the buy the dip boyz come in or is there more to this?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Morning! Gold is down 1.9 to 1244, while Silver is down 7 to 17.51. Crude is down 58 to 4766. The USD is +5 to 9966.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/18/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1230.20-- UP 28.8 Silver $17.41-- UP 49 Oil $49.31-- UP 82 TICS USD $100.11 -- DOWN 100 tics Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1299.09 (1), SAE $20.54 (20)

Low Carb/Paleo/Ketogenic Recipes

Discussion in 'Alt Medicine/Coll Silver' started by birddog, Feb 22, 2017.

1. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

For the folks that have discovered low carb eating, here is a place to put recipes. This is one I was dreaming of while fasting last week - it's like a hamburger helper but with cabbage as the "noodle" substitute. I've changed a couple things - for reference check the link below. There is also a video at the link.

UnStuffed-Cabbage-Bowls-1.jpg

UN-STUFFED CABBAGE BOWLS

Quick and easy stuffed cabbage – without all the work!
    INGREDIENTS:
    • cooking spray
    • 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
    • 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
    • black pepper, to taste
    • 8 ounce can tomato sauce
    • 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
    • 1 cup less sodium beef broth
    • 1 cup cooked riced cauliflower
    • 1 medium head cabbage, cored and chopped (9 cups)
    DIRECTIONS:

STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS:
    1. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, spray with oil then add the beef and salt, cook breaking the meat up until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, marjoram and black pepper and stir. Add the tomato sauce, 1/4 cup water, paprika, and beef broth, cover and cook medium-low 25 minutes.
    2. Add the cooked cauliflower and cabbage and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender. Serve with additional rice if desired.

Link to credit the person who created the original recipe. http://www.skinnytaste.com/un-stuffed-cabbage-bowls-instant-pot-or-stove-top/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    lumpOgold, Zed, Son of Gloin and 5 others like this.
  2. birddog

Here is another one that I found last week and I am planning on doing this one for dinner tonight. I was thinking this would go great over steamed riced cauliflower.

I will be omitting the wine and cornstarch. I'll let you know how it goes.....

CREAMY GARLIC BUTTER TUSCAN SHRIMP

[​IMG]
    SAVE PRINT
    Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Shrimp coated in a light and creamy sauce filled with garlic, sun dried tomatoes and spinach! Packed with incredible flavours!
    Author: Karina - Cafe Delites
    Serves: 4
    INGREDIENTS
    • 2 tablespoons salted butter*
    • 6 cloves garlic, finely diced
    • 1 pound (500 g) shrimp (or prawns) -- tails on or off
    • 1 small yellow onion, diced
    • ½ cup white wine (OPTIONAL)
    • 5 oz (150 g) jarred sun dried tomato strips in oil, drained
    • 1¾ cups half and half (or milk -- reduced fat, skim or full fat milk)
    • Salt and pepper, to taste
    • 3 cups baby spinach leaves
    • ⅔ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (do not include for dairy free option)
    • 1 teaspoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 1 tablespoons of water (optional)***
    • 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
    • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped

Link to credit originator - https://cafedelites.com/2017/02/14/creamy-garlic-butter-tuscan-shrimp/

There is a video at the link.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Zed, Son of Gloin, searcher and 2 others like this.
  3. birddog

Here is a recipe I made last night. I had some huge organic red peppers to use up so made stuffed peppers.

Mixture –

1 1/3 lb ground beef
    Little bit of oil for the pan
    ½ onion
    Tbsp. or so minced garlic
    Small bag of frozen riced cauliflower
    ½ cup bacon
    Big jar of pasta sauce
    salt, pepper, Italian seasoning to taste

Steam cauliflower in the microwave till done (I have an auto cook on mine, no idea how long it took?) then drain off any water. Sweat the onion and garlic in the oil, add the bacon and cooked cauliflower and mix that up over low heat. I add some salt and pepper at that point. Turn off the heat and let that cool.

Prep the peppers, I like using 1/2s, seems you get a little more meat and less pepper per serving.

Put ground beef in a bowl and add salt, pepper and whatever Italian seasoning you like, I added basil, thyme, and oregano. (Should have put in a touch of red pepper flakes, next time…). Mix that up and add the cooled veggies and a cup of so of the tomato sauce. Mix well.

Fill peppers with the filling (mine filled 6 big half peppers). Put in an appropriately sized pan, add an inch or so of the tomato sauce to the pan, pouring some over the peppers. Cover with parchment, then aluminum foil.

Heat oven to 350, cook for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. Remove foil, top with cheese of choice. Enjoy.

WP_20170227_17_14_45_Rich (2).jpg

Zed, TAEZZAR, searcher and 2 others like this.
  4. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

Looks like a tasty meal! I like the bacon, nice touch there. The irony for me is that the peppers cost more than the hamburger. I estimate my cost somewhere around seven bucks, and it is what, two large or three medium entrees? Not bad at all.

My main meal today was experimental. I had some boneless chicken breast defrosted (Walmart, under $1.50/pound) and I wanted to cut patties and fry them with breading. I found a recipe using coconut flour (which I have) and ended up cutting the chicken into smaller nuggets, then coating them with olive oil and the spiced breading. I think it was pretty good. Not great, but a pound of tasty chicken nuggets for under $2? Next time, I will up the salt and/or consider soy sauce for more flavor.

Going into more detail, I thought a ranch dressing would be a good dip. My cheap Sams Club dressing is okay, but I thought it was missing a little tang. Adding a little citric acid seemed to get it just the right amount of tart.

TAEZZAR and Son of Gloin like this.
  5. birddog

I got the peppers on sale for 99 cents each. And they were organic! I think they got too many and didn't want them to go bad. Green ones would normally be cheaper.

I saw someone use crushed pork rinds as a coating for fried/oven baked chicken. That might be good.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  6. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

birddog, I like your recipes, I like tomato sauce, we make our own. I'm not using any because I don't
    know the carb count on homemade t-sauce (no sugar, just home grown tomatoes & spices).
    Are you finding some low carb sauces, or just going close to the limit with them ?
    BTW, for me, I'm not losing the weight as fast as I want, BUT, my memory & thinking are like a foggy window that has been wiped clear !!

:finished 2:

Howdy likes this.
  7. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

I went looking on the net & found this. It is exactly how we make ours.
    I will now eat our t-sauce !

LOW CARB TOMATOE SAUCE.jpg

lumpOgold and birddog like this.
  8. birddog

Well.... No, I haven't gone looking for low carb tomato sauce. I already have some on the shelf and just using it up. The one I used has no added sugar.

I have been intermediate fasting (ie only eating 1 or 2 meals a day) so it is easier to guestimate carbs. I figure the 1/2 pepper was 4-5 gms of carbs, the 2-3 for the cauliflower and other veggies then 4-5 for the tomato sauce. Yeah, it is a little high for a meal, but that was the only meal I ate that day.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  9. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I made creamy broccoli soup the other night. Low carb, small carbs from broccoli and milk.

1 big sweet onion
    2 hefty sticks of celery
    1/4 cup butter (8 TBSP or so)
    4 cup chicken broth (or bone broth for a stronger taste)
    8 cups or more broccoli florets (I use a big colander full, probably close to 10 cups. Fresh from the winter garden. )
    2-3 oz pancetta (unsmoked bacon, I find bacon is sometimes too strong and overpowers the broccoli)
    2-3 TBSP flour
    3-4 cups milk
    salt and pepper to taste.

Finely chop onion and celery, saute over medium heat in 2 TBSP butter (don't use margarine or plain oil) until soft. Add broth and broccoli florets, cover and steam for 5-10 minutes. I use a hand blender to puree this mixture, though you could use a regular blender in batches or a food processor. But if you have never used a hand blender and puree hot food regularly, you really need to get one!

While the broccoli is steaming chop and fry up the pancetta in a separate medium pan (or if you can find it use pre-cubed pancetta) until you've rendered a nice bit of grease and have some crispy meat bits. Add a couple TBSP butter if needed to make a nice roux, Add a couple TBSP to the fat/butter (again, don't skimp and use bland oleo or oil) concoction and mix until smooth and bubbly. Add the milk slowly stirring or whisking to prevent lumps, until you have a nice gravy going, then add the rest of the milk and heat to simmer.

Combine the thickened milk concoction to the pureed broccoli and heat through until it's the proper viscosity (~10-15 minutes simmering to allow the roux to thicken the soup, overcooking can make a thick heavy soup and undercooking ends up with a thin soup with little mouth feel.) , salt and pepper to taste. I like to add a few chives or green onions on top of the soup when served fresh and hot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    birddog and TAEZZAR like this.
  10. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    The thing with carbs is you want to know net carbs and 'complexity', not all carbs are equal. The speed at which you digest them is also very important. I would like to see food labelling that has a number derived from net carbs and glycemic index. Basically the idea would be total carbs - fibre (net carb) expressed as a % then multiplied by GI. That would give a 1 to 10000 range number and basically the lower the better. Comparing energy (carb/sugar count) derived from a tomato to sugar is just misleading, it is better than nothing but not correct...

Tomatoes... 69.9% carbs less 1.2% fibre by 15 GI = 1030.5

Table Sugar... 100% carbs less 0% fibre by 63 GI = 6300

I'm counting sugars as carbs, but you get the idea.

I came across this, it looks interesting, I will read it full later, you guys may be interested.

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....l-planning/counting-carbohydrates-like-a-pro/

Sorry for the off topic post. :D

11. TAEZZAR

Had this tonight with some variations. We had no shrimp, so we used our Dungeness Crab & some Ling Cod. Used homemade almond milk & our own dried tomatoes with some dried Chanterelle mushrooms. I let the tomatoes & mushroom reconstitute in the wine. Served over steamed cauliflower.
    IT WAS GREAT - WE WILL DO THIS AGAIN, SOON !!!!

Tomorrow night is your stuffed bell peppers. I will grind some beef from tri tip. We don't buy ground anything, I've seen too much, in a butcher shop, as a kid.
    It looks like cheese on top, but I don't see any in the ingredients. If so, I will use pepper jack.
    And of course, I'll letcha know ! :gracious:

birddog likes this.
  12. birddog

I used an Italian blend on top. Just what I had in the fridge.....

TAEZZAR likes this.
  13. TAEZZAR

We live 24 miles to the grocery store, so we too get "inventive" with what we have.

14. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I think the nutrition information displayed is already "per serving", not the total for the recipe. So you're really looking at more like 37.8 g of carbs per serving. Which illustrates a problem I have incorporating tomatoes into my diet, except as an occasional treat :)

TAEZZAR likes this.
  15. TAEZZAR

Looks like I went "bass ackwards". Thanks for pointing it out.

I went to my Atkins net carb's list for the following.
    1 sm tomato = 2.5 net carbs - I weighed 3 sm tomatoes to a pound, 8 lbs.= 24x2.5 = 60 net carbs
    1 lrg onion at 2 tblspn = 1.5 net carbs, yields about a cup. 16 tablespoons to a cup = 12 net carbs
    3 cloves of garlic are 5.3 net carbs
    Olive oil - 0
    Basil = 0
    This adds up to 77.3 net carbs divided by 6 = 12.9 carbs/serving
    A big difference
    So I wonder where they got their numbers, or is this straight carbs, not net carbs.

What do you think ?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  16. birddog

I think net carbs is a better way to go. If you add additional fiber to your meal, the carb effect would be less. The big goal is to stay in ketosis, so even if you over estimate your carbs a bit and are still burning fat, all is good.

And Taezzar - if you want yet another forum with lots of keto stuff, here is a link. https://www.ketogenicforums.com

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    TAEZZAR and Merlin like this.
  17. TAEZZAR

Thanks birddog, I went there & will go back later to read, read, read, looks like good stuff.

From the site:
    Getting Started
    So you have decided to go keto. Maybe you have done a load of research and have a great plan laid out. Maybe you just want to skip all that and dive straight in today. Getting Started is just that - the basics, nice and simple, to get you going. You can worry about the finer points later.

5 / month
    Tips from the Oldies
    Shared experience is so valuable and we can learn much from those who have gone before us. Tips from the Oldies is a place to collect that golden information and pass it on to the Newbies starting out.

birddog likes this.
  18. TAEZZAR

Birddog, you have another winner.
    The stuffed bell peppers were great & yes, the red pepper flakes worked well.
    I cut the recipe a bit for 2 bell peppers, had a little left over, so Mrs. T wanted a stuffed tomato, too.
    I remembered the camera this time.
    IMG_0977 (Medium).JPG

19. birddog

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    Zed and TAEZZAR like this.
  20. TAEZZAR

WOW !!!, I can't wait, we are going into town tonight. I will get what we don't have & make them too.
    They look too good to be OK !!! LOL

21. birddog

TAEZZAR and Zed like this.
  22. birddog

The pretzel dough was way too soft to make into pretzel shapes. I just made circles and baked them. They were like flat cheese bscuits. Tasty and bread like. My husband says they did satisfy like bread would. I am going to play with some of the other recipes and see how they turn out.

Uglytruth, Zed and TAEZZAR like this.
  23. TAEZZAR

Birddog, we got home late last night (we went to hear our Sheriff talk about sanctuary Counties in Oregon, I will post that later)
    I took what you posted about the cheese ball, & sure enough you were spot on. I added an extra Tblspn of almond flour & put the mixture in the freezer for 10 min's. I still got the same results as you did . I also put the cold egg in a glass of hot water for 5 min's. It does take a bit of effort to get it all blended together. I did try forming them into 8 inch long "pencils" & laid out a pretzel shape, to no avail.
    The recipe mixed our inch system with metric (stupid in my opinion). The 180 degrees seemed way to low to brown anything, but I went along with it for 10 minutes, then decided to do the math, to convert from C to F, it ended up to be 358 degrees F, I used 350 F & they browned nicely, although flat like a biscuit.
    On to the taste. GREAT, we both like them. We felt that there was a mild after taste of a yeast type biscuit flavor, nice !!
    BTW, I mixed everything in a 2 cup measuring cup, then poured(and scraped it) out onto parchment paper before putting it in the freezer.
    It was even a big ole flat biscuit at that point.
    Last night 2 of the 7 survived the feeding frenzy & were put in the frig. This morning they were cold & hard, BUT, still very good.
    Thank You, T

birddog likes this.
  24. birddog

Yeah - I don't think they translated the recipe correctly from metric to US. I tried adding more almond flour and flaxseed (mine was ground) to no avail. I am going to try a few of the other fathead recipes to work on the consistency.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  25. birddog

TAEZZAR likes this.
  26. TAEZZAR

I downloaded a bunch of recipes from the link you provided, thanks.
    I'll let you know what we decide & how it turns out.
    We are thinking the one of these, cheesy sausage cabbage, chicky pot pie or bacon pizza.

27. TAEZZAR

I just did the Breakfast Hot Pockets - Very good !!!
    The extra almond powder makes a big difference, from the pretzels.
    This just might become a regular breakfast !!!

BREAKFAST POCKETS..JPG

birddog and Zed like this.
  28. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    You have time to do that @ breakfast?! ..... I'm too busy herding catz children.

29. birddog

Those look awesome!

TAEZZAR likes this.
  30. TAEZZAR

Yes, they ended up quite awesome. We wrapped 2 of them up & put in the fridge over night & then in this morning I put one in the micro for 20 sec's.
    It was excellent. Now I think the pretzels need to be made with this recipe, as the "dough" really had a dough texture & body.

31. TAEZZAR

Hahahahahah, been there, done that, Zed, that is one of the great benefits of retirement ! I get to do what I want, when I get up in the morning !
    In fact, I get to do what I want, ALL DAY LONG !!!
    Also, I'm so busy, all day long, that I don't know how I ever had time to work.
    :green tea:

Zed likes this.