1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

MANY THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLIED AND HELPED ME LEARN :)

Discussion in 'Purchasing Precious Metals' started by gabriel2005, Dec 17, 2016.

1. gabriel2005

gabriel2005 New Member Seeker

:green tea:
    Hey everyone, many many thanks to gave me some very useful advice on my new venture.
    I've been reading and learning the sites given to me. I don't feel hesitant now.
    A BIG THANK YOU to the GIM STAFF/FOUNDERS, for not making me feel like my questions were dumb, and offer more help, anytime. You rock!
    For the most part, I just want to say thanks again. I will keep on, placing all of those who helped on my following list :)
    Enjoy your holiday!
    Gabriel

Ensoniq, birddog, Goldhedge and 2 others like this.
  2. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Just spend the 50 bones and see what real money looks like,

after that, it is all over for you............

:beer:

what does that mean? You'll figure it out as it becomes clear.

birddog and Goldhedge like this.
  3. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

There are no dumb questions ... just dumb people. Ask enough questions and you stop being a dumb person. Only dumb people don't help others stop being dumb too.

JayDubya and gabriel2005 like this.
  4. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

If you are not following the "deals" threads here you might consider doing that. I missed a lot of ebay bucks in the past because I didn't follow the thread. I come here to read every day but I only go to ebay every once in a while.

gabriel2005 likes this.
  5. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

You madame are quite "Welcome". :gracious:

Hope to see you opine in other posts on other topics here too. :reading:

gabriel2005 likes this.
  6. gabriel2005

You're right.............don't get it

7. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

He is soooo, right. Real money brings out the pirate in all of us.

8. Professur

Do yourself a favour. Make your first purchase an old circulation coin. A peace dollar or a silver Crown. Then we'll discuss the term 'fondle piece'. There's nothing more fun that dropping a Crown on the table in the lunch room and everyone suddenly going speechless at the sound.

gabriel2005 and Son of Gloin like this.
  9. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Buy yourself an old Gold Sovereign and enjoy the life long obsession that follows! .. .. :2 thumbs up:

10. Professur

Damn Irons ... nothing quite like starting a baby off with meth in their formula.

11. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

I like Morgans. You can drop a stack of those on the table for the cost of a Sovereign.

Note: If you drop them on the corner of the table be sure you don't tip the table over.

Son of Gloin likes this.
  12. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Why waste time on lesser metals? I have a 1899 Sov hanging around my neck right now. . . :beer:

breturnsrs.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  13. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    There's really something unexplainable that comes from holding a Morgan dollar, feeling the weight and seeing the detail of it and wondering where it's been, who had it and what did they spend it on. That Morgan might have been minted in the eighteen eighties and used by countless people, long gone, which is why I personally like circulated Morgans more than uncs. They have history, even if it is unknown. You think, "this thing used to be what people considered and used as real money." Not the fake copper/nickle stuff we use today. It truly is more "real." It's a noticeable, tangible reality.

Also, when you have real gold coins, holding and looking at them is mesmerizing. You know, having it, that this is money. This is what money is supposed to be. You know it has value, not just perceived value. If you've ever spilled out a roll of gold sovereigns on a sunlit table-top and just admired the radiance and beauty of the metal, shining in the sunlight, then you will understand the desire for gold and why it's important.

Some people believe that gold and silver were designed by God to be money and used as money. I can feel that when I hold the weight of silver in my hand or see the beauty of shining gold in front of me. It's hard to describe in words.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  14. Professur

You're fondling a piece right now, aren't ya Son Of Gloin.

15. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    On Morgans, I used to keep an old Morgan dollar in my pocket, along with my modern change. Occasionally, when I pulled it of my pocket at a counter to pay for something, digging out a quarter, or a dime, whatever, someone would spot it in the palm of my hand and they would just stop, draw in their breath and ask "what is that!?" I would talk to them about it and explain I liked keeping it in my pocket to remind me what real money is. I would hand it over to them, so they could hold it and turn it over, seeing the detail and feeling the weight. It always left a big impression. There's something real about gold and silver.

gabriel2005 and solarion like this.
  16. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    No, I'm actually not Prof. But, I can still imagine it with great clarity. I get some of my stash out, on occasion, just to look at it and hold it. Or I used to, anyway, before it all ended up at the bottom of a lake, somewhere. I forget...

Irons and Professur like this.
  17. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

AGREE, I am always packing a worn down 1882 Morgan. I always get an offer when I pull it it out while getting change but they must think I'm gouging them when I say "Ten Bucks and it's yours".
    So far no sophisticated "Marks".

Son of Gloin and birddog like this.
  18. Scald

Scald Tungsten collector Silver Miner

Shepard
    And remember, be careful whenever boating.

Son of Gloin and GOLDBRIX like this.
  19. gabriel2005

Thanks
    professut,
    Lol.
    Since I'm taking baby steps into this new venture, meth will not be in the Similac. Lol

Professur likes this.
  20. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

As mesmerizing as they can be, try to not fall in love with your metals.
    Also, it doesn't really matter too much what you purchase to start out with (as long as you dont pay too much). Because it's almost all good, and you'll find that as you get into it a little your "needs" will change. I started out buying gold bars and silver rounds, uglier and cheaper the better. Then got hooked on old gold "coins", Sovereigns and Francs. At one point I couldn't get enough US junk silver, filled up a couple of Crown Royal bags then moved on. As the GSR continued to climb I simply purchased 10 OZ silver bars in the hopes that some day I'll trade them for gold. Then there are the tiny Mexican fractional gold coins, super fun to buy.They are beautiful coins and great for when you feel like you only have a few bucks to spend. It's not at all my style, but I just the other day bought my first graded Silver Eagle. A 2015 MS70. But that will go to my first born Grandson.

There are plenty of ways to keep purchasing the stuff while keeping it fun and interesting. Just pay attention to the spread, and make sure you are not paying too much for what ever it is you are buying. Certain coins or products that may have been reletively cheap last year may be more expensive to buy today. Junk silver is pretty notable for this trait. Premiums can be all over the map depending on what is happening with Pirates around the globe.

21. gabriel2005

Thanks, smooth!

22. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Ive always said the only stupid questions are the ones you dont ask. Everyone is my superior in that I may learn from them, no one knows everything.

gabriel2005, GOLDBRIX and Zed like this.