1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Massive 100 Kilogram Gold Coin Worth $4.5 Million Stolen From German Museum

Discussion in 'Gold Silver (All things Metal)' started by Goldhedge, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Aaaaaand it's GONE!

Massive 100 Kilogram Gold Coin Worth $4.5 Million Stolen From German Museum

Perhaps even more brazen than the infamous theft of a bucket full of gold woth $1.6 million from an armored truck in broad daylight in Midtown Manhattan last September 29, moments ago local German press has reported that thieves broke into Berlin's Bode Museum and made off with a massive 100-kilogram (221-pound) gold coin worth millions.

[​IMG]
    According to German media, the stolen coin is the "Big Maple Leaf", a commemorative piece issued by the Royal Canadian Mint in 2007. The three-centimeter (1.18-inch) thick coin, with a diameter of 53 centimeters (20.9 inches), has a face value of $1 million. By weight alone, however, it would be worth almost $4.5 million at market prices.

The Bode Museum, located on the German capital's UNESCO-listed Museum Island, houses one of the world's biggest coin collections. The holding includes 102,000 coins from ancient Greece and about 50,000 Roman coins.

[​IMG]
    The Bode Museum. Photo: DPA

Spokesman Stefen Petersen said thieves apparently entered through a window about 3:30 a.m. Monday, broke into a cabinet where the "Big Maple Leaf" coin was kept, and escaped with it before police arrived.

German police said on Twitter that the robbers likely used a ladder found at a nearby rail track to break into the museum at around 3:30 am. Suburban rail traffic was interrupted as investigators combed the area for clues. The police did not comment on how the theives managed to cart the extremely heavy "pet rock" out of the museum without being spotted or triggering any alarms.

The museum says the coin is in the Guinness Book of Records for its purity of 999.99/1000 gold. It has a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II on one side and maple leaves on the other.

It was unclear if the coin has already been "deposited" at one of the numerous central or commercial bank vaults who have experienced a dramatic drop in physical gold inventory as much of the yellow metal has moved to China and various private vaults in recent years, and duly replaced by mere paper claims on said metal.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...ld-coin-worth-45-million-stolen-german-museum

searcher and <SLV> like this.
  2. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I bet it is already melted.

hammerhead and ttazzman like this.
  3. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Isotopically it's going to be impossible to sell without mixing it with a shit ton of other gold.

4. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    How? And I mean How could their security be that stinking retarded? These people house coins worth millions and there isn't even any level of sophisticated security in place? Is this even possible with collusion?

edit: should have said without collusion.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  5. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I hope this is a real wholesome robbery done by good old fashioned thieves and not and inside government job.

6. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

The thieves would have never been able to cart it off like that had the coin been made from $4.5M in Ag

stonedywankanobe, Howdy and solarion like this.
  7. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Who knows anymore????

8. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

lol 17,140 pounds @ $18 Ag. hahaha

Good luck with that "stealthy" heist doodz.

9. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Even so, a 21" piece of metal at 221 pounds would be heavy, heavy! A few months ago I ordered two 50# vintage York barbell plates from a guy in Pennsylvania. I figured, wrongly, that he would pack them up separately and ship them as a two parcel shipment. Oh, no. He packed them babies up together and securely and shipped it to me by UPS.

Now, my UPS man knows where I live. He has delivered quite a few boxes to my home, but on this particular shipment he "forgot" my address and delivered those plates across the street to my neighbor's house. Was he pissed off about the super heavy package? I'll probably never know, but when I figured out that they were delivered incorrectly I went looking for them and found them by my neighbor's garage. Them suckers were heavy together. I can lift a hundred pounds. But, it took me and my neighbor, Sam to carry those bastards across the street to my garage.

They didn't just tote that 221 pound coin out the window.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Weatherman likes this.
  10. Montecristo

Montecristo Silver Member Silver Miner

That's a heck of a nice neighbor to help you move those plates across the street. I would have pointed you to my hand cart and wished you luck!

Son of Gloin likes this.
  11. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    I tried to do it myself, but he saw me struggling and laughing to myself like a nut. He finally took pity and pitched in. Sam's a good guy.

12. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

Same with the wife..... right !?
    Bwaah haaaa haar !!

Sorry you left the door a little open on that one.

13. CrimsonGuardJay

CrimsonGuardJay Silver Member Silver Miner

Three really strong dudes could have done it. Possibly using a wheeled cart of some sort to get it to the window, and then dead lift it and heave it out the same window...

I bet a search of the ground under the window that was breached would show a crater where 220 pounds of solid gold slammed into the earth

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  14. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

They were gonna hafta melt it anyway so maybe they cut it up into manageable pieces right there before they even moved it out.

15. CrimsonGuardJay

Cutting it into 2 or 4 would have taken some time, and extra equipment, and that time is the difference between getting away or having a cop sticking a gun up your nose.

It was taken somewhere, and then cut into chunks... and then melted,

16. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Something tells me that the coin wasn't all it was touted to be and this inside job was an excuse to prevent the truth coming out. I wonder how much osmium and tungsten was mixed in to the coin and someone was getting wise to it?

Son of Gloin, the_shootist and Howdy like this.
  17. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

And everyone assumes it left the building.

BF

18. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    I have a very hard time believing this story.

<SLV> likes this.
  19. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    You stole my thunder. That's what I was thinking too

20. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Those people are awful careless with their gold.

21. CrimsonGuardJay

I do not believe that was fake. There was one of them made, just that one...

And you can search and watch a long, full-length video of its production, including the pouring of it, the machining of the edging, and the sculptors painstakingly carving details.

<SLV> likes this.
  22. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

German CraigList - "WTB / Barter, One F'n' Big Smelter".

hammerhead likes this.
  23. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

A double stitched backpack and my trusty old weight lifting belt I could get that bad boy out and be gone.

On another note : I wonder if Canada is gonna want their gold back ?

24. CrimsonGuardJay

Not to doubt you, but no, you couldn't do it. That's 210 pounds. You'd need two big dudes and something for a mechanical advantage to move it laterally.

Son of Gloin likes this.
  25. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Exactly. There's something about having that much mass in such a small package that makes it very difficult to handle.

26. CrimsonGuardJay

If that thing was flat on the ground, it would be impossible to pick it up, you'd have to wedge a breaker bar under it and maybe use a hammer to pound it in, lift it up.

Son of Gloin likes this.
  27. GOLDBRIX

They helped make it simpler by having it upright in a framework. Ya get it in the backpack by not allowing it to go flat on the floor and work the BP over and around it. Keep straps upward. Good Straight back leg lift via the straps. If ya can't maneuver it to your back strap it to your chest and go.
    They may have walked to the train tracks but I would bet they got to a vehicle fast after that.

SEE 1st two sentences above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't let it get flat on the floor. See Sentence #1 Above in Blue Paragraph ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you can deadlift 220 lbs ( and I still can) this should not be Mission Impossible.

The shear Distance the perps had to cover is the unknown factor for me.

Remember that dude in NYC 60 lbs of gold with just his bare arms & hands and determination.

I've rigged a carry pack to help. ( Mic. Drop) :bombing aircraft Walking DB Cooper.

stAGgering likes this.
  28. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Let's not ignore the fact that it is 'round' and can be rolled...?

andial, Silver, Montecristo and 2 others like this.
  29. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

What ?
    220 lbs is not impossible to separate from the ground.
    First, it was already above floor in display.
    An Alice backpack or military equivalent, reinforced and bag fabricated for discreet transportation and you are gone.
    One holds, one loads, one holds, one steps into and away you go.
    The danger is window exit and ladder strength.
    But... easily with the Alice pack, sliders could guide the roped descent down the ladder and be at base when you get there.
    If the Ecuadorian weasel can scamper 10 blocks up the street with the bucket of gold...
    Anyone work on commercial fishing boat, build stone walls, drag 200lb deer 1/2 mile, or something else with odd sizes and destinations combined with weight?
    I hope it was one guy, ingenious design and execution, who had a huge pair and now 4+ MILLION in gold.
    Sale of in any form will take additional exposure, unless mint ownership, mine ownership, bank ownership, or ones own country.
    Here in US, coin stores just do not have enough to make it worth the risk... well ....

GOLDBRIX and the_shootist like this.
  30. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    I have to admit, even though I love hitting the iron pills, being a guy of average physical strength, I had my personal ideas of difficulty in mind when considering the difficulty of moving that piece of metal. Some guys are obviously just more physically capable, though. It's just natural strength. Maybe you're one of them guys.

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  31. CrimsonGuardJay

I don't know guys... even a strong dude would have had his work cut out for him, trying to move and deadlift a 210 pound coin.

32. GOLDBRIX

ONLY IF you dropped it or put the coin on the floor. That photo suggests the coin was displayed for the average person
    minus a few inches for children to see it with out being picked up. I'd WAG at 4.5 to 5.5 ft off the floor.
    and
    HOPEFULLY I'd only have to deadlift it once if at all. It think I could get a backpack around it while in its stand.

33. GOLDBRIX

I will admit I'm bigger that then average bear err MAN. 70s - 80 I ran the night-life on the weekends. At least three times I ended up in fisticuffs I was not even part of when they touched off. Four words I listened for were " Get the Big Guy". I had no dog in the fights except self preservation around a bunch of idiots already full of "liquid courage".
    Strength:
    In my last real job. I had a five hundred pound inmate in a custom made wheelchair have to be placed in an ambulance to go to the hospital on an emergency. The EMTs could not even budge him in his chair. I worked with several power lifters but I got the radio call.
    I rolled the guy out of the building, off the curb, to the back of the ambulance. Turned the chair back against the ambulance bumper and popped him and his chair up onto the bumper, re-situated and popped him up again into the back of the box ambulance.
    One of the EMTs later became a police officer and later a Captain. Five years ago I ran into him at a football game. He told his wife and friend this story as I stood there. " I'll NEVER forget you handling that inmate" he said.
    I thanked him and I asked if I get a "Get Outa JAIL FREE Cards" to use in an emergency.
    They laughed. Me I was actually serious.

34. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

anti-gravity device
    the aliens stole it

BF

35. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    OK, OK then. I think I've got this all figured out. Judging from the description you gave us of your physical strength and adding to that the fact that you've thought very thoroughly about how to go about the heist, I've come to the obvious conclusion that you must have done the heist. One guy with a plan, executed flawlessly, no doubt. The only question I have for you is how did you get it out of Germany? That's the part of the plan you haven't divulged yet. No doubt you masterminded that part, too, though and the coin is here in the states in your possession.

I have one small piece of advice for you, though. Fencing the coin, intact. I'll just say one word: Irons. Irons will buy it from you, intact, I'm sure of it. I hear he has a thing for gold and a lake to store it in.

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  36. GOLDBRIX

Carry On Luggage :2 thumbs up:

Son of Gloin likes this.
  37. CrimsonGuardJay

"..... what's in the carry-on?"

"210 pounds of solid gold."

"Suuuuure buddy." *waves you through*

Son of Gloin and GOLDBRIX like this.
  38. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    All they would have to do is put the coin in the trunk of a car. It's just a 200+ pound piece of metal.

Maybe lay down some padding to spread the weight out.

Take it from there and chop it up.

GOLDBRIX and Son of Gloin like this.
  39. GOLDBRIX

After I wrote the "Carry-On..".
    I thought I put a chain on it and wore it as part of my - "Mr. T Graduate Collection" :
    [​IMG]

Son of Gloin likes this.
  40. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Rectally ... it's the only way to go.