1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Massive data breach at Equifax

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Scorpio, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

the credit reporting agency, 1 of the big 3

Regardless, 143M people affected,

The website they set up to check to see if you are 'hit' is also been compromised, as they only used a std wordpress unregistered website to inform people.

In addition, period was between May and July. Company claims they knew in late July, and announced now.

Apparently company insiders were selling stock hand over fist prior to this announcement, ie front running the news

There will be plenty of links avail as the story spreads

edsl48 likes this.
  2. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Hackers access database that has personal data for 143 million Americans from credit reporting agency Equifax

By Craig Timberg and Elizabeth Dwoskin September 7 at 5:40 PM
    [​IMG]
    (Mike Stewart/AP)
    Criminal hackers gained access to files including sensitive personal data on 143 million Americans — Social Security numbers, birth dates and home addresses — by penetrating a Web-based application for Equifax, the credit reporting agency said Thursday.

The breach, which the company said began in May, was discovered in July. Though Equifax said in a statement that its “core database” was not penetrated, the attackers did gain access to a wide range of data on what appears to be a majority of American adults, as well as some British and Canadian consumers.

Social Security numbers and birth dates represent particularly sensitive data, giving those who possess them the ingredients for identity fraud and other crimes. Equifax said that it also lose control of an unspecified number of driver’s license numbers, along with the credit card numbers for 209,000 consumers and credit dispute documents for 182,000.

"In addition to the number [of victims] being really large, the type of information that has been exposed is really sensitive,” said Beth Givens, executive director of the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, a consumer advocacy group based in San Diego. “All in all, this has the potential to be a very harmful breach to those who are affected by it.”

Equifax is one of three largest U.S.-based credit reporting agencies that collect and analyze detailed financial records for a wide range of consumers worldwide. The judgments of these companies about the creditworthiness of individuals can affect their ability to gain loans, housing and jobs, while also determining the interest rates on various consumer products.

One of the other leading credit rating agencies, Experian, was hacked in 2015, causing the personal data of 15 million Americans to be exposed.

Here's what you need to know about using cloud computing services - both the benefits and the security risks. (Sarah Parnass, Dani Player, Brian Fung/The Washington Post)
    The recent hack of Equifax was far larger but fell short of data breaches against Yahoo, which affected 1 billion people worldwide.

Equifax said Thursday that it was alerting those who were affected by mail. It also set up a web site, equifaxsecurity2017.com, to help consumers understand the breach and check whether they were affected. The company is offering one year of free credit monitoring and identity-theft protection to anyone who may have been affected.

“This is clearly a disappointing event for our company, and one that strikes at the heart of who we are and what we do. I apologize to consumers and our business customers for the concern and frustration this causes,” chairman and chief executive Richard F. Smith said in a statement published on the company’s website. “We pride ourselves on being a leader in managing and protecting data, and we are conducting a thorough review of our overall security operations. We also are focused on consumer protection and have developed a comprehensive portfolio of services to support all U.S. consumers, regardless of whether they were impacted by this incident.”

Equifax, based in Atlanta, is working with law enforcement on an investigation of the breach and has hired an independent cybersecurity research firm to assess its security. The company’s website says it operates in 24 countries and has access to the data of more than 820 million consumers worldwide, along with data for 91 million businesses.

The company declined to comment about what Web application was hacked or why it waited six weeks to alert consumers about the breach.

Companies often do not immediately alert affected people to cybersecurity incidents, prompting calls from state and federal legislators for new laws to require more-rapid and complete disclosures.

“This is reason number 10,000 to check your online bank statements and credit card statements on a regular basis, ideally weekly,” said Matt Schulz, CreditCards.com's senior industry analyst. “We think nothing of checking Facebook or Instagram 10 times a day, but many think it is too much to ask to check your bank statements once a week. It's not. It's easy to do, doesn't take long and can help you spot problems before they get out of control.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...orting-agency-equifax/?utm_term=.bb394376d918

Lt Dan likes this.
  3. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

What burns me up is how long they knew about the breaches. Having worked for a company that had to go through regular PCI & HIPAA audits I find this ironic that one of the chief drivers of PCI was in itself guilty of gross negligence. The class action lawyers are going to have a field day.

4. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

They own many other data resources too. A lot of big employers aggregate data to them for them to serve as a verification of employment source. So even if your credit wasn't compromised, perhaps your personal info and employment/earnings or other info still was. Big problem. I keep wondering when everyone will wake up and realize the world being connected is not so good for stuff like this.

5. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Sell that stock on the good name bye it back on the bad, ingenious; now that's not insider trading at all.

edited to add: Kind of makes one wonder if it was a true hack after all?

6. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    They'll get fined a couple of million dollars, their executives who sold their stock will remain free and untouched, and the beat will go on.

Same story, different day

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  7. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

And just how were they hacked? With all the high priced protection they install on web sites now days you would think it would be tough — no? It probably went something like this: "Hello, John, this is Clem down in IT. We're having a little problem with your account and need your password so we can sign on as you."
    John: "Sure Clem, it's password33 with capital SS."
    Clem: "Thanks, John, we'll get back to you when we're done."

25 years in IT,
    BF

Silver, phoneman and michael59 like this.
  8. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    I'm in IT also and I can tell you that any reputable company would fire both John and Clem ON THE SPOT once this was discovered. Information security is a lot different than it was 5-10 years ago

9. Bottom Feeder

Yeah, I know, shoot, I've been out for two years and we had those same rules (do not give out passwords) but they often get ignored. And, BTW, Clem does not work for this company, he's the hacker. And John's not going to give up the facts about how Clem got his password (after all he's a vice president and is keeping his job)

BF

10. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Clem used to work for the company but he found being a hacker was more fun and much more profitable. :belly laugh: Seeing as how your average person is dumb as a post they make his job as a hacker much easier

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    abeland1, phoneman and Bottom Feeder like this.
  11. Bottom Feeder

12. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

People are gullible. Therefore security is an illusion. It's BULLSHIT in fact. No way to ever keep 100% safe...too many factors.

phoneman and the_shootist like this.
  13. Bottom Feeder

Sure there is.

BF

14. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

I'd like to point out that nearly every working adult American's social security #, name, addresses have been stolen by hackers, to say this is a big deal is an understatement.

15. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    We no longer have any security thanks to our fellow man

16. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Equifax's solution is to have you sign up for their credit monitoring.

Clark Howard suggests you do NOT sign up for it and says it's better to freeze your credit at all 3 agencies.

There is a $10? fee to have it implemented.

I'm thinking Equifax is on the hook for this...

17. Goldhedge

Tech
    This just in...

$70 billion class action lawsuit comes swiftly against Equifax as news surfaces of Executives dumping stock before making the hack public

7:18 PMcyber attack, equifax, financial data, hack, insider trading, personal information, stockNo Comments
    It will be years if not decades before all the consequences of the recent hack on American consumer's data will be completely sorted out, but this is not stopping a $70 billion class action lawsuit being filed on Sept. 8 one day after the cyber intrusion took place.

[​IMG]

One day after Equifax announced (more than one month after it itself had learned) that its systems had been hacked, resulting in up to 143 million social security numbers, names, addresses, driver’s license data, birth dates, some credit card numbers and pretty much all other critical personal data being leaked and currently for sale somewhere on the dark web, the company whose job is, ironically, to protect the credit and personal information of hundreds of millions of Americans has been hit with a monster class-action lawsuit seeking as much as $70 billion. - Zerohedge

Yet what is perhaps the most shocking, and even reminiscent of the Wells Fargo scandal from earlier this year, is the news that has surfaced of Executives within Equifax not only knowing about the hacks weeks in advance of their public announcement, but also them dumping shares long before they made public the breach of up to 143 million American's financial data.

As you probably heard, yesterday the US-based credit reporting agency Equifax announced a massive cyberattack that affects as many as 143 million consumers. Names. Birth dates. Addresses. Social Security Numbers. Even some credit card numbers were stolen. Literally over one third of the entire US population is at risk of identity theft now thanks to Equifax’s bungling. Bear in mind this is the THIRD TIME in 16 months that Equifax has been hacked– there was another breach earlier this year, and another in May 2016. Even worse– this wasn’t an overnight attack. Hackers spent MONTHS probing the Equifax network, burrowing deeper into the system and gaining access to more and more data with each attempt. Yet Equifax’s defenses failed to detect anything. Finally on July 29, a whopping TEN WEEKS after the attacks started, Equifax realized that something was wrong. Senior executive responded to the data breach by… selling their stock.

Yes, in the days following their discovery of the hack, three of the company’s executives sold nearly $2 million worth of stock. Bear in mind, these “insider sales” have to be reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission, so there is a public record every time a company executive sells stock.

These executives would have known this, and that the public would find out they sold their stock right after the data breach was discovered. – The Sovereign Man

Perhaps its time for the Supreme Court to take its ruling that corporations are considered as individuals and start indicting them with criminal charges, and as an added bonus, include the indictment of every executive of those companies for aiding and abetting in the criminal activity of the corporation.​

18. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Rules are for thee, not for me!

19. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Some states don't have a fee for freezing your credit.

20. Goldhedge

Tech
    You may have lost your right to sue Equifax by using its fraud protection

Mujahideen likes this.
  21. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

For what this is worth my local bank actually has a program similar to Lifelock offered at no charge to customers. I happened to be speaking to the branch manager about this whole Equifax situation and he told me about this program. I didn't even know they had the program and when I asked he more or less said "well you didn't ask" about it.
    It might be a worthwhile ask at your local bank to see if they have a no charge protection program similar to this one. If I understand it correctly I will get a text message anytime someone requests a credit check on myself and I will have the option to block that access.
    By the way according to Equifax's website I may be one of the lucky ones...and I am ((*_(*(8 about it...but that's another post someday.

i

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Scorpio likes this.
  22. Goldhedge

Tech
    The veritable substance is about to hit the electric convenience....

U.S. SENATOR TAMMY BALDWIN CALLS FOR SENATE COMMERCE COMMITTEE TO HOLD HEARING ON EQUIFAX DATA BREACH
    Baldwin: “American consumers deserve answers about this breach and the actions of Equifax executives before this breach was made public.”

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin today called on leaders of the Senate Commerce Committee to hold a hearing on the Equifax data breach.

“I write today to urge you to hold a hearing on an issue impacting the lives of millions of Americans – the recently reported data breach at Equifax, one the nation’s largest consumer credit reporting agencies,” wrote Senator Baldwin, a member of the Commerce Committee. “American consumers deserve answers about this breach and the actions of Equifax executives before this breach was made public.”

Senator Baldwin’s letter to Senate Commerce Committee Chair John Thune (R-SD) and Ranking Member Bill Nelson (D-FL) is below and available here:

September 8, 2017

Dear Chairman Thune and Ranking Member Nelson:

Thank you for your leadership on the Commerce Committee in addressing critical issues facing American consumers. I write today to urge you to hold a hearing on an issue impacting the lives of millions of Americans – the recently reported data breach at Equifax, one the nation’s largest consumer credit reporting agencies.

According to press reports, beginning in May, cybercriminals gained access to the files that the company reports could compromise the sensitive information of 143 million American consumers, including Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers, birthdates and home addresses. Equifax reportedly failed to disclose this massive breach to affected individuals for weeks, meaning the risk of identity theft may have been further aggravated.

I am troubled by the company’s failure to address the breach promptly with those whose information was compromised, as well as reports that in offering credit monitoring services to those affected, it has requested additional sensitive information with the promise it will be kept secure.

In addition, I am deeply disturbed that several Equifax executives reportedly sold significant amounts of the company’s stock before the breach was publicly announced and the company’s stock price plummeted. If company executives acted to profit off this failure, that is simply wrong.

This is yet another example of the failure of a trusted company to properly safeguard the personal information of their customers. A breach of this magnitude will undoubtedly have significant impacts on the privacy and financial security of millions of people, and merits the prompt attention of the Committee. I urge you to call a hearing promptly to address how this breach occurred, how Equifax will take steps to protect those affected, and how it and other credit reporting agencies are working to ensure that this does not happen again. American consumers deserve answers about this breach and the actions of Equifax executives before this breach was made public.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

phoneman likes this.
  23. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    What difference, at this point, does it make? They'll have this massive investigation, have a couple of sacrificial lambs take the fall and they will just keep chugging along. For the people who have been affected by this breach, once you've been raped you can never go back! Too bad for us! This is where we are folks!

mayhem, phoneman and oldgaranddad like this.
  24. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

THAT is exactly what should happen.
    Decades ago a company was entitled to REWARDS / Profits because of the RISKS of doing business. Through the decades Cos. have lobbied and Congress has legislated much of their RISKS away. Yet Cos. still expect to make significant profits with minimal Risk Exposure.
    Now it is pretty much a RIGGED GAME at least for the Big Boys.

25. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    You mean introduce personal responsibility to the business world? Bite your tongue son!!!

26. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I don't know if you mean "lucky" as your number NOT being exposed, OR "lucky" you may be involved with the Class-Action Law suit ?

Me, I checked w/ the Equifax site. It appears my number was NOT jeopardized. But I will keep checking periodically.

27. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    There's a downside to a credit freeze as I discovered a few years back. I froze mine because I'd made it to the point that it was unlikely that I would ever borrow money again but, as it turns out, with credit freezing you have no credit score at all. I tend to shop my insurances and got turned down for both auto and home insurance. I tried to explain that my credit was frozen but they had never heard of it and the underwriter refused to write the policy. Plus I bought a car on a Saturday a couple of years back and wrote a check for it as I've done with no problem for every other vehicle I've had for 20 years. The dealer ran my credit score and refused to take my check. I had to wait a few days and bring in a cashier's check.

I Georgia at that time, it cost $10 per credit agency (x 3) to freeze + the same amount to thaw when you need it + the same amount yet again to refreeze. And you do need it more often than you may think even if you have no intention to borrow.

Crockett, abeland1, mayhem and 3 others like this.
  28. GOLDBRIX

They now check your Credit Score for Life Insurance and Medical Insurance.

29. platinumdude

Not by freezing your credit, but using their monitoring service.

30. platinumdude

Also,

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
    In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

the_shootist and Scorpio like this.
  31. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Seems a bit odd that they caused over 140 million people to lose their security and they tell you that they'll help you out but you can't sue them for giving up your personal information. Sounds about right for big business.

We're going to need more rope! Even Hitler is amused! getaloadofthathitler.gif

mayhem and phoneman like this.
  32. edsl48

I meant "lucky" sarcastically because I am one of the ones they say might have been compromised.
    While we are on the subject I really feel like the insurance companies should keep their noses out of our credit files. Why should my auto insurance carrier for example be allowed to see what my house payment, what credit cards, what my investments are and so on and so forth? There is a heck of a lot of data in those credit reports. I myself was surprised when the bank printed out my full data sheet and got a pile of papers almost an inch thick regarding my past and current life. Maybe many of you feel differently but consider the lengths many go to hide their precious metal hoards then, perhaps by a credit card search, some person can find out what you have and funnel your name to a burglar hot list.
    I really don't like it and to think of all the people that have access to my, as well as your, personal life is almost unbelievable to me and now I find that I, among many others, will probably have my life plastered out there on the deep web.

Crockett, Scorpio and phoneman like this.
  33. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Tell you what....you steal my identity and I'll steal yours. This way the pressure of anticipation is removed and we can all go broke together!

34. edsl48

First the jerks say
    " The company has found no evidence of unauthorized activity on Equifax’s core consumer or commercial credit reporting databases."

Then the *#%&_*!&$ say
    "The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver’s license numbers. "

WTF? I could care less about Equifax's credit reporting data bases but I care about my personal records. TAr and feathers would be too good for the ones running that company and I might add that per Equifax " the unauthorized access occurred from mid-May through July 2017" this went on for over two months before they caught it. Dayum!

35. GOLDBRIX

EXACTLY !!

the_shootist likes this.
  36. GOLDBRIX

STOCK DUMP should equal JAIL TIME

Crockett, abeland1, Glasgow and 3 others like this.
  37. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    What's more is that the insurance companies have their own information clearinghouse based in the Caribbean. They know every claim you've ever filed.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    GOLDBRIX likes this.
  38. anywoundedduck

anywoundedduck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Data Architect, Systems Engineer, Business Owner,
    My store got scammed this week.
    I am not sure how they got the information, but they had ALL of my information.
    Long story.
    BASTARDOS!

39. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    wtf is going on? K, I will repost my reply; No can't do it......double jeopardy.

40. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

$70,000,000,000÷143,000,000=$489.51

Gonna need more than that. They just gave away all my info.

Someone could do all types of damage with my SSN, address, name, DOB.

Freeze your accounts? They have the info to unfreeze it.

People are going to need new SSNs at the least. Most people are not going to move just to get a new address.

edsl48, GOLDBRIX and the_shootist like this.