1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Massive data breach at Equifax

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Scorpio, Sep 8, 2017.

1. anywoundedduck

anywoundedduck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Data Architect, Systems Engineer, Business Owner,
    This is disastrous. I have many vendor accounts and customer accounts that are vulnerable. This should be a Capital Offense, for the Perps. Equifax in this case are accomplices as they knew we the people were going to get scammed, and they enriched themselves instead. They should put them out of business today by Sessions. WTF?
    TODAY!!!

2. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    Lawyers take 1/3 off the top.

You and the rest of the 143 Mega-victims will get a check for 49 cents, 6 years from now.

3. Garyw

Garyw The Military gave me Defoliant Exposure Silver Miner

tired and retired
    Why don't they just ask the NSA who did it? I understand the NSA records everything on the internet, phone calls and all forms of communication in this country and probably the whole world. I bet it was a disgruntled NSA employee or contractor.Had to be somebody with a top secret security clearence.

D-FENZ and OverOver like this.
  4. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    ....and the beat goes on

5. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

40 to 50 % now because so many pile on.

abeland1 likes this.
  6. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Next up! All the people whose information was compromised will have to give even more information in order to fix the problem. A vile of blood to check for pathogens, a squirt of urine to see in what you imbibe, a mouth swab to look for your genetic diseases as well as eye and finger prints.

Don't worry 'mericuns, we got your back.

7. mayhem

Well if they got my CC #'s I really don't care. What they gonna do it's unsecured credit and luckily I'll never have to apply for credit again. I did repair work for homeowners who had insurance. They got nuttin then, and now a adjuster doesn't even show up. They just steal your money.

House burns down, well I'll just bulldoze it and put up a used travel trailer on the slab. Don't need no stinkin fancy house anyway just money pits. I played the flippin game to get here, and I see a bad turn coming. Plus I still have that 900 ft condo I'm renting. Could always toss the tenants and move in there, but hate condo associations.

8. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    If you do get knocked by scam from this leak.
    Sue Equifax in small claims court. You'll probably be given a judgement because no one will show to represent Equifax.
    Make sure you ask for all expenses to be paid or attorney fees at the judgement hearing.
    Some states allow up to $25000. Florida is only $5000.
    After you receive the judgement file a motion for Equifax to fill out a Fact Information Sheet outlining all their business assets.
    When they don't do it you file a motion and order for Contempt of Court and have the judge go put someone in jail.
    If they do give you the information have the sheriff garnish their bank accounts.

9. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

When you freeze your account you are given a pin number. You need that to unfreeze it. If they stolen it from this hack then request a new one. If it's not frozen yet, then the hackers won't have your new pin number unless they hack them again and grab it.

mayhem and Mujahideen like this.
  10. platinumdude

Oh to add. You can do the pin thing also for tax filings by requesting it from the IRS. If you don't, the hackers can use your info to file a tax return before you and get the refund. If they don't have the pin, the IRS will not accept the tax return.

mayhem likes this.
  11. mayhem

Yeah I have to list my pin # on my return even though I don' make enough to file.

12. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Massive Equifax Hack Shows Cyber Risk to Deposits and Investments Today
    By: Jan Skoyles
    44% of US population affected by Equifax hack
    Hackers took names, birthdays and addresses, Social Security and driver’s license numbers
    Steve Mnuchin “concerned about the global financial system and keeping it safe,”
    Hacks is a reminder of the vulnerabilities created in a connected world
    Cyber security is a major threat to both banking and financial industry
    Investors should hold physical gold as insurance against hacking and cyber attacks

13. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

So I go to the Equafuks web site to freeze my account and I get a subtle message from them:

Ha Ha Sucker.jpg

[photo added for statement clarity] :Build:

BF

mayhem likes this.
  14. Duckworth

Duckworth Site Supporter Site Supporter Seeker

I have spent a couple of hours trying to freeze access with little success. Equifax was pretty easy, but Experian will not accept our information to do it online, and I was able to freeze mine on Transunion, but am having trouble with my wife. What a PIA. I think their servers are blowing out from too much traffic..

15. Bottom Feeder

Vulnerability exploits.
    rest of the story at:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/business/equifax-hack-what-we-know.html

Not updated in two months? What kinda idjits they got runnin their IT?

I'm gonna change my SS# to all zeros

BF

mayhem and Someone_else like this.
  16. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

It would be interesting to know how that works out. I read a story about a guy that thought that getting a "vanity" plate called "no plate" would be funny. Supposedly, he got an endless number of tickets because the cops would write "no plate" for cars when they did not have a plate.

17. platinumdude

18. ^updated^

^updated^ found a way in Silver Miner

no answer
    The Chief Security Officer has Bachelor's and Master's degrees in music composition so you know she's qualified...

chief.jpg

19. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Its the way we do things now a days. Everyone with a vagina or black skin is not only qualified, but preferred regardless of their background, education and experience!!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    edsl48 likes this.
  20. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Similar Sh!t happened to me while TDY at USP Atlanta during the Cuban Riots in'87.
    Once the riot was over and staff back in control the Exec. Staff wanted to resume routine operations ASAP.
    Part of that was taking groups of the Cubans out to the Recreation Yard for an hour, return that group and bring out another group.
    USP Atlanta had a constant turn-over in Correctional Officers and other line staff at the time.
    The second day working with ATL's staff on the rec. yard I was talking with a officer who had been their two years ( which anywhere else is someone still wet behind the ears). The Lt. had placed him in charge of the area.
    During some small talk with the officer is when he said where he went to college. I said I didn't know "X" college had Law Enforcement / Corrections program. "They don't" he said " My major is in music". I about crapped my pants on hearing that.
    I cut the small talk in a professional manner and moved out. As I was walking around I closed into a group of inmates playing hacky-sack [sp?] I waved up at the gun tower officer a few more yards away. I gave the signal " Me and You buddy, Me and You". I kept the inmate out from under the tower and he could cover my back.

I could just see in my mind's eye another riot or fight pop-off in the Rec Yard "Mr. Music Major" would be trying to get the inmates into doing "Script OHIO" .

21. Flight2gold

pilot
    searcher and GOLDBRIX like this.
  22. Bottom Feeder

People, dumb as rocks, taking care of our most private security information — what could possibly go wrong?
    Finally got into Equafuks and locked my account. Now I'm wondering if I need to do the same thing at the other two (or three - whatever) places.

I didn't like to do that but I thought it the prudent thing to do.

BF

23. ^updated^

^updated^ found a way in Silver Miner

no answer
    Another Coverup? Equifax Accused Of Scrubbing That Its Chief Security Officer Was A Music Major
    [​IMG]
    by Tyler Durden
    Sep 15, 2017 5:21 PM

Update: And... she's gone: EQUIFAX SAYS CIO AND CHIEF SECURITY OFFICER ARE RETIRING

One week after what may be the biggest security leak in US history, when Equifax belatedly admitted that hackers had made off with over 143 million private data profiles, sending the company's stock 37% lower in the past week...

[​IMG]

... leading to a massive scandal which will go through at least one round of Congressional hearings in which company CEO Richard Smith will have to explain why the company waited for weeks before making this unprecedented data breach public (a breach which came due to a vulnerability the company was aware of and should have patched months prior) and will likely culminate with prison time for one or more company executives, questions have emerged if Equifax was involved in another cover up, this time involving the background of its Chief Security Officer.

Meet Susan Mauldin, the Equifax Chief Information Security Officer, and the person who was responsible for keeping the highly confidential and secret information of over 100 million Americans well... highly confidential and secret.

[​IMG]

Mauldin has been with Equifax as CSO / CISO since 2013. She was previously Senior Vice President and Chief Security Officer at First Data Corporation, until July 2013. Mauldin was also SunTrust Banks’ Group Vice President from 2007 to 2009.

So far so good, but a problem emerges: according to LinkedIn, Mauldin’s stated educational background has no security or technology credentials, and consists of.... a bachelor’s degree in music composition (magna cum laude) and a Master of Fine Arts degree in music composition (summa cum laude), both from the University of Georgia. Once again, this is the person who was in charge of keeping your personal and financial data safe — and whose failure to do that have put 143 million at risk from identity theft and fraud.

[​IMG]

Or rather, that's what her LInkedIn profile would have disclosed if in the hours after the scandal broke, "someone" didn't thoroughly scrub and censor it.

As MarketWatch's Brett Arends writes, "there has been very little coverage so far of Susan Mauldin’s background and training. Given the ongoing disaster of the hack and Equifax’s handling of the affair, the media spotlight has so far been elsewhere." It now emerges that someone was very keen on keeping as little information about Mauldin's background in the public domain as possible.

Shortly after the Equifax scandal broke, Maludin's LinkedIn page was made private and her last name replaced with “M.” Below is a screengrab showing Susan Mauldin’s old and current LinkedIn pages in Google search results as of 9/9/2017.

[​IMG]

Mauldin’s original LinkedIn page was on this url before it was made completely private: linkedin.com/in/susan-mauldin-93069a (now a 404 page not found)

A few days after the news of the data hacking broke, the following page reappeared a with a different url, with the specific detail that her degrees were in Music Composition removed. Also, her surname Mauldin was replaced with the initial letter M. to complicate profile discovery.

[​IMG]

Among the skills touted on her LinkedIn page: Data Center, IT Solutions, PCI DSS, IT Service Management, IT Outsourcing.

Additionally, two videos of interviews with Mauldin have been removed from YouTube. A podcast of an interview has also been taken down. As Hollywoodlanews.com reports, in March 2016, Mauldin was interviewed on camera by the CEO of the big-data company Cazena.

The videos featuring parts of an interview with Susan Mauldin, which were embedded on this page, have been taken down as of the afternoon of September 10.

A partial transcript of her remarks during the interview have been archived for posterity by a third party. http://archive.is/6M8mg

The full interview videos went far in explaining what may have been the eventual cause of the massive leak of information now gravely affecting 143 million Americans.

The audio-only version of the interview that was publicly available on Soundcloud has also been scrubbed from the web.

Unfortunately for the scrubbers, internet archives preserved her original LinkedIn profile (shown above) which revealed her "music" background, and a transcript of one interview has survived.

So as CEO Richard Smith prepares for the upcoming congressional grilling, here are two more questions he can add to the list: first, how far can a Chief Security Officer go in this business without a formal education in technology. In an interview uncovered by Brett Arends he notes that Mauldin said that in recruiting, “[w]e’re looking for good analysts, whether it’s a data scientist, security analyst, network analyst, IT analyst, or even someone with an auditing degree. ... Security can be learned.”

But she also said she focuses college recruitment, understandably, on “universities that have programs in security, cyber security, or IT programs with security specialties.” She did not mention music composition.

And second, was the company actively involved in what appears to be an active campaign to scrub the potentially embarrassing background of its Chief "Security" Officer?

As Arends concludes, and we agree, "everything about this fiasco just gets more and more surreal." It will be even more surreal however if as a reader points out, a woman diversity hire is the reason behind one of the largest hacks of financially sensitive data ever...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...ub-its-chief-security-officer-was-music-major

searcher and Mujahideen like this.
  24. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Equifax retires their feminist unqualified CSO...how do you acquire a background in security with a degree in music? Seeing as I'm not a liberal I'm probably not considered intelligent enough to understand how that dynamic works!

Close the barn door after the horses all get out....Brilliant maneuver!

25. nowon

nowon Seeker Seeker

Equifax Sacks 2 Executives, Gets Devious to Stop You from Getting a Credit Freeze
    by Wolf Richter • Sep 15, 2017

They’re terrified a mass credit freeze will crush revenues.

https://wolfstreet.com/2017/09/15/e...ious-to-stop-you-from-getting-a-credit-freeze

Mujahideen and platinumdude like this.
  26. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    I went to Equifax and had no problem at all navigating through the credit freeze process. Same with Esperian. TransUnion charged my card ($10) then spit out an error message at the end of the process and said to try again later. I'll need to call them to complete the process so I won't be charged twice.

Actually fairly easy to do.

BTW, what's 140 million x $10? Somebody is going to make a lot of money on this!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  27. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    It's funny, that thought doesn't terrify me at all.

Fun Thought: Imagine 140 million people freezing their credit. The Jewish central bankers ain't gonna like that!

28. nowon

nowon Seeker Seeker

Seems like they got some heat about the runaround and changed the system to be more honest. Glad to know.

29. Flight2gold

pilot
    Give Equifax a break.
    They were planning on running a new ad campaign.
    "Trust us, we'll make your credit report sing."

searcher and mayhem like this.
  30. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Yeah, good luck with that! Sessions is a cuck!

31. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Time for the people to get the Coca cola death squads organized and take matters into their own hands

[​IMG]

32. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Your account? Was this account one that you created?

Why were you charged $10 for a credit freeze, is this an “account” you opened/own/started/created?

The three different credit agencies have a charge to freeze your credit? Did you open “accounts” at all three credit reporting agencies? What a racket, I can’t think of any other kind of business account that I cannot simply close without asking. How are credit reporting agencies any different?

Here is a new business, create an account for each of the 143M people affected by the data breach, and charge $10 to not give out their information.

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  33. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I think it was twice that I wanted to close a checking account, and they wanted a fee. "What if I took out every last dime and walked away, would you close it then?" Answer was "Yes, we would close it." And that is what I did.

Mujahideen, GOLDBRIX and platinumdude like this.
  34. Bottom Feeder

Well, maybe account is the wrong word, it's just semantics not to belabor the point, but no, I didn't create it. However I did request the business to stop vetting credit applications with my identity information. And there was no charge to freeze it — opening it back up is going to be a different matter. But then I will be on the controlling end of the request, which is where I prefer to be.

BF

35. mayhem

Strange doin. I personally never opened a account with any of these reporting agency's. How can I be responsible for any information lost by them? If push comes to shove the only credit card I have that has no balance gets swiped well they can go pound sand as they are the third bank to take over that account and I never opened a CC account with them. We have been paying in cash for 25 years. We live on SS and what's in the canal. Checking, but no savings. Lots of cash spread around the state. We even qualify for SNAP if we choose.

We own nothing but the house and that's owned by a LLC, and a 2003 cheapo Chev truck, and the Blazer also owned by the LLC. That's it. What's someone gonna do, can't take the house in Fla.

the_shootist and GOLDBRIX like this.
  36. Bottom Feeder

I think I've heard accounts of houses being sold out from under the true owner by someone who had all the correct identification to pose as that person. And the real owners had a bitch of a time canceling the sale and getting their house back. Lemme do some research and I'll see if I can find one of those stories.

BF

Mujahideen likes this.
  37. anywoundedduck

anywoundedduck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Data Architect, Systems Engineer, Business Owner,
    I cannot freeze accounts, unless I am willing to go out of business.
    Equifax is acting as though this will go away, business as usual. WTF???

Mujahideen likes this.
  38. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

The list of allowed is what I expected before locking, now wondering who all is allowed if you don’t lock the report?

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/frequently-asked-questions/

- If I lock my Equifax credit report, can anyone still access it?

When you lock your Equifax credit report, access continues to be allowed for certain requestors, including: sources reviewing your application for employment; companies that have a current account or relationship with you; collection agencies acting on behalf of those whom you owe; resources that wish to make pre-approved offers of credit or insurance; fraud detection and preventive purposes; applications for insurance; and federal, state, and local government agencies.

39. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Because it will. If the world was fair Hillary would have already been hung next to King Negro