1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Meet The Robots That Will Build Your Next House

Discussion in 'Projects, Builds, Woodworking, Metalworks' started by mayhem, Apr 17, 2017.

1. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    This may work for section 8, just can't see it taking off real big. Yeah, the developers who build those coolie cutter 1,500 sq ft. places may benefit, but others??
    -----
    The U.S. residential construction industry employs 100's of thousands of people each year in various skilled trades that earn hourly pay rates ranging from minimum wage to $100 per hour, or more.

Per BLS statistics, the residential housing space employed over 1 million people at the height of the housing bubble and now accounts for nearly 750,000 jobs.

[​IMG]

Of course, just like the auto industry, many of those jobs can be done at a fraction of the cost and with much greater precision by industrial robots. Moreover, those robots work inside a warehouse where they're immune from the negative consequences of weather and can work 365 days per year without compromising construction integrity.

As Blueprint Robotics' CEO, Jerry Smalley, points out, nearly 60% of a custom home can be built inside a warehouse and shipped on a standard flatbed truck to its destination for installation.

Production starts with the most precise robot in our factory, the WBZ-160 beam-center. This saw cuts the top and bottom plates for our wall, and pre-drills for the installation of plumbing, venting and electrical rough-in that is soon to be installed.

It’s all pre-determined by the plans you provide. Everything in our factory is pre-cut: drilled, trimmed, fastened and routed with CNC precision.

Once we’ve got the lumber cut, we move to the Framing Station. This machine produces 40 linear feet of framed wall in about 11 minutes. Because robots are executing the nail pattern, it’s incredibly precise. The nail will never be outside of the stud: no misses here.

The wall comes out of the framing station and moves to our Drywall Bridge Station. Here we put a layer of OSB on the frame followed by a layer of drywall. The OSB is nailed to the stud, while the drywall is glued to the OSB and screwed to the stud. The Drywall Bridge Station is also where any openings in the wall, doors, windows, outlets and switches are precisely cut to perfectly square dimensions.​

As Bloomberg notes, modular houses, at least in the U.S., used to be reserved for smaller, cheaper homes and that stigma restricted the industry from taking market share in the high-end McMansion neighborhoods. But, that is all gradually changing as modern technology allows companies like Blueprint to manufacture far more complicated custom homes rather than the simple 'boxes' of the past.

Today’s plants are capable of producing bigger buildings with more elaborate designs. The Blueprint factory in Baltimore is one of the first in the U.S. to use robots, Fleisher said. Taller multifamily buildings, dorms and hotels are increasingly being manufactured indoors. And so are mansions that sell for millions.

“Some builders won’t even advertise they work with modular companies like us,” said Myles Biggs, general manager of Ritz-Craft Corp.’s Pennsylvania construction facility. “You could be driving past a modular home and not even know it, because it looks just like one next door.”

Ritz-Craft can deliver a single-family house in six to eight weeks, on average. Having an indoor facility means weather delays are rarely a factor. Each worker is given a narrow concentration, like tiling floors or sanding drywall, which increases production speed. People without any background in construction can become skilled laborers in two weeks, according to Biggs.

There doesn’t seem to be any stigma for customers of Connecticut Valley Homes, a builder that assembles factory-made components on lots in New England, including near the stately mansions of Greenwich. The East Lyme-based firm is “booming at moment,” with deposits for 42 houses, up about 50 percent from the same time last year, said Dave Cooper, senior building consultant. The company built only eight homes in 2011, when the housing market was hitting bottom.​

Looks like Bill Gates will soon have a lot more robots to tax in the residential construction space.

searcher, stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  2. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Roof trusses are already fabricated off site. Some tilt wall homes are done off site too. As mentioned above there needs to be flexibility and updating in design which also needs to be cost-effective. If it can be a cash paid daily wetback, then so be it. I know some drunk mexicans did my electric the first time, then had an experienced white man come back and fix it.

mayhem and andial like this.
  3. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I guess new homes this might become more common, changes or custom work still will have to be done a the property. Remodeling of existing homes is light years away from being robotized. JMHO

searcher, mayhem and stonedywankanobe like this.
  4. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Wouldn't I have fun running a robot to build my house.:belly laugh:

I did build my own and helped others with theirs but if I gotta do it with an Fn robot, I quit.:bombing aircraft

searcher and mayhem like this.
  5. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Whata bunchahorseshit!

mayhem and andial like this.
  6. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Will, if i ever run across one of these houses and the people want some work done in them i will tell them " sorry you have to bring this house back to the factory for that change".

searcher, mayhem and stonedywankanobe like this.
  7. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    How are they going to anchor them to the slab? Bolts? With the walls enclosed how will they attach them to each other. Lot's of questions. They no doubt have the answers, but I can't see this replacing a carpenter, finisher for the corners, and corner bead, plumbers, folks running trim, and all the other skills that make a house.
    Like I said maybe for section 8 old fashion 50's style floorplans where they can throw up projects for the slaves.
    Like to see them create MarLargo with their stinkin robots! :-)

pitw likes this.
  8. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

Are factory made homes really that new? Old timers like me should remember the buildout of homes for the returning GIs after WW2. I remember whole subdivisions being built with these pre-fab houses. Many still stand today in my neck of the woods. Often they had asbestos shingles, asbestos siding and asbestos floor tile when asbestos was considered a miracle product back in the day.

searcher, andial and pitw like this.
  9. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

According to the video hand built cars cost 3K but now with robots cost 30K +.
    Will homes cost 10x more also or is it the mileage, must be fixed at the dealer & epa that makes them cost so much.