1. Thurs am and USD regains some lost ground, now over 101
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning! To start we have Gold down 9 to 1202, while Silver is down 31 to 1695. We have Crude up on supply info after a big downswing, +31 to 5221. The USD is back above 101 at 101.12.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 1/7/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1173.40-- UP 21.70 Silver $16.52-- UP 54 Oil $53.99 -- UP 27 TICS USD $102.21 -- DOWN 7 Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1243.95 (1), SAE $19.53 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting, Bottle Digging

Discussion in 'Collecting, along with Metals and Numi's' started by searcher, Apr 20, 2014.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Jersey Metal Detector Finds Silver Coins, Gold & Silver Rings, More.........

[video=youtube_share;oUi_4Yn7OXo]http://youtu.be/oUi_4Yn7OXo[/video]

http://youtu.be/oUi_4Yn7OXo

Published on Apr 19, 2014
    THis is a video from last weekend when I detected some knew spots again one day with my cousin Joey and one day alone. First day was a good one when Joey got his first Gold ring ever, a class ring at that. I later got a few silver coins and a silver ring myself. The following day I went out to an old site and scored some nice relics including one of my best Buckles ever from Colonial times near a very old homesite. I may or may not put up my finds from the previous week where I found about ten silver coins but all mercs, rosies and Washington Quarters. But im trying to put up the better stuff this year not all my silver finds. Enjoy as always and thanks for watching.

2. searcher

#10 2014 Metal Detecting Using Etrac Gets A Nice Walking Half Dollar & More SIlver Coins

[video=youtube_share;QlCEVHWzJgM]http://youtu.be/QlCEVHWzJgM[/video]

http://youtu.be/QlCEVHWzJgM

Published on Apr 25, 2014
    THis is a video from last weekend when I went to a spot that is real old and havent had much luck in. It finally paid off with some silver dimes and a nice surprise Walking Half Dollar. I also hit a small park area next to a mansion after work for an hour without my camera and got a nice 100 year old plus silver coin and a few relics to go with it. I have to go back there again after work this upcoming week when I have time. So far the silver has been coming good and hope it continues. Thanks for watching and commenting as always. GL and HH out there!

HistoryStudent likes this.
  3. searcher

Jersey Shore Beach and Surf Hunters & Their Amazing Finds

[video=youtube_share;NUlMxbYM-z8]http://youtu.be/NUlMxbYM-z8[/video]

http://youtu.be/NUlMxbYM-z8

Uploaded on Oct 14, 2009
    Traveled to Alantic City New Jersey recently to visit a friend and fellow metal dectector, Brian Mayer AKA Surfdigger. While there I met several Pro Hunters and seen several of there great Gold & Silver Finds...Amazing... and picking up a some great tips on detecting from Brian. Who has 34 Years Experience detecting the Jersey Shores & Maintains the facebook page "Jersey Shore Beach and Surf Hunters metal detecting". HH Obn

4. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

420 healer
    RIP wherever you are Irons...

Too bad you got sucked in with the wrong crowd...

5. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

Wait...IRONS is deceased???? :eek:

Irons likes this.
  6. searcher

Really enjoyed his MDing thread. Hope he opens it back up some time soon.

GOLDBRIX and Thecrensh like this.
  7. searcher

Not N Jersey but who cares.............

Metal Detecting on the Beach - Coins Galore

[video=youtube_share;rCcRWgZsTLI]http://youtu.be/rCcRWgZsTLI[/video]

http://youtu.be/rCcRWgZsTLI

Uploaded on Mar 9, 2010
    Handfuls of coins are dug live on a UK beach in perfect search conditions. ***for FAQ click 'Show more' below*** Other finds include an 18ct gold ring and a Georgian medallion .See just how quickly and easily the targets can be located and recovered.

8. searcher

OLD COINS BONANZA AFTER KING TIDES (Exposed sand dunes reveal many old and new coins)

[video=youtube_share;_Mg3MFX2aDA]http://youtu.be/_Mg3MFX2aDA[/video]

http://youtu.be/_Mg3MFX2aDA

Published on Jun 22, 2012
    Goldfinders go looking for valuable old coins and money in the back yards of Australia's paradise area (Sunshine Coast Queensland)The coastal area back yards are slowly dissapearing and leaving lots of quality old coins and fun, there for the taking and collecting.If you like the shovel or like to purchace a good honest book on metal detecting then go to the website below. Find us on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/112... or website http://www.goldfinders.com.au/

Looking for coins only! in full discriminator mode

Goldfinders go in search of old coins near beach houses in Australia's paradise area (in the Sunshine Coast Queensland) using the discriminator function of metal detectors. Whites tdi and Fisher 1236x2 with modded 10" spider coil

Many pre decimal coins where found this day, only a few were recorded on camera with a nice old silver and jade stone ring to top it off.Ps our entire collection has been recently stolen.

9. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

420 healer
    AFAIK, only to GIM...

:2:

searcher likes this.
  10. Spectrism

Spectrism Seeker Seeker

Counting down these last days
    I would guess that copper piece with wood inside is a ram rod.

11. searcher

Cannons found on Ore. coast fire up history
    [​IMG]

by Grant McOmie
    kgw.comPosted on May 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    Updated yesterday at 3:09 AM

Rich Mulcahy likes to say, “When the tide goes out, my treasure table is set.”

[​IMG]

There’s something about treasure hunting that’s irresistible and compelling; especially when it touches Oregon history and offers unique outdoor adventures too.

“I think it’s that I am going after something that’s been lost and I am digging in the sand to find it. I love to dig stuff.”

Rich walks long lonely stretches of the Oregon coast each day accompanied only by the excited sounds of his hand held detector; the device is his constant companion.

He sweeps the sand with the detector and marks each spot where something’s hidden just below the surface.

Most days, Rich said he discovers common everyday objects on his adventures but he is intrigued by re-discovering history in the beach’s sandy layers.

[​IMG]

Many of his so called ‘targets’ are easy to recognize once he has them in hand – they range from silver coins to gold wedding rings and other metallic jewelry.

[​IMG]

But every now and then he finds real “head scratchers;” like his exotic Chinese copper coins and even a Roman coin that dates back nearly two thousand years.

[​IMG]

“Well, I shouldn’t be surprised given the number of shipwrecks that we’ve had off the Oregon coast,” said Mulcahy. ”I’m sure that there’s material from those old wrecks that have come in with the tide.”

As long as mariners have traveled the ocean, ships have wandered too close to shore and been caught by powerful storms. They’ve also been guided by a captain’s poor judgment so the ship and crew often ended in disaster on the beach.

Every now and then the tides and time reveal something unexpected – not measured by the value of gold or silver – but the chance to connect with rich Oregon history - like the two small cannons or carronades that were found at Arch Cape beach in 2008.

[​IMG]
    (Courtesy: Columbia River Maritime Museum)

A dad and daughter – Miranda Petrone and Michael Petrone - were strolling the shoreline when she saw something inside a thick coating of sand and rock; it was something nearly impossible to discern but it was Oregon history!

Experts believed they were two guns that came from the USS Shark, a navy schooner that shipwrecked on the Columbia River Bar in 1846.

The two cannons and a chunk of the deck floated south and then washed ashore – only to be buried on the beach for 162 years.

[​IMG]

Staff from the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department recovered the two cannons and then shipped them to Texas A&M University’s Marine Conservation Lab in 2009.

[​IMG]

OPRD paid $45 thousand for the cannon restoration project.

[​IMG]

Five years later, the Oregon cannons have come home and the restoration is remarkable, the cannons are exceptional and Astoria’s Columbia River Maritime Museum is their new, permanent home.

[​IMG]

“They look new essentially,” said Dave Pearson, the Museum’s Administrator. “You would never believe that these were the carronades that were buried in the sand for 162 years.”

[​IMG]

Behind the scenes, the Maritime Museum’s curator, Jeff Smith, showed off scores of other pieces from the cannons – including an original oak platform, plus wrought iron fasteners, pins, rings and leather coverings that secured one of the 18 pound guns.

[​IMG]

And then there’s one particularly puzzling, large ball of twine.

“This was down inside the gun with this hanging out,” said Smith. Then a wooden plug was shoved in the end of the barrel. The purpose was to keep the gun dry and always ready for fire. In fact, when we first found the cannon and saw that, we wondered: could the cannon be loaded?”

Fortunately, it wasn’t!

[​IMG]

But what was found is an amazing chapter of Oregon history – that connects with a time when the US Navy “waved the American flag” to the British who had long staked a claim to the northwest region.

Smith said the restored guns link us to an important moment for Oregonians.

[​IMG]

“If these elements had not survived, we probably wouldn’t care that much about the USS Shark. But in 1846, Oregon was still an area that was disputed – was Oregon to be British or American? I think the Oregon question was answered with the mission of the USS Shark.”

http://www.kgw.com/lifestyle/grants...s-Oregon-Cannons-Come-Home-259418481.html?wgk

HistoryStudent and Goldhedge like this.
  12. searcher

10 May 2014 Last updated at 02:55 ET

Jersey coin hoard extraction done in public

By Ryan Morrison BBC Jersey
    [​IMG]
    It is expected it will take about three years to separate the coins

Work uncovering the secrets of the world's largest hoard of Celtic coins will be the centre piece of a new exhibition at the Jersey Museum.

Jersey Heritage Trust conservator Neil Mahrer and his team will work inside a large glass room - on view to the public.

The hoard was discovered by two metal detector enthusiasts and is thought to contain some 70,000 coins.

The exhibit will also feature other artefacts from the same era.

Mr Mahrer said it would be painstaking work but it was an incredible opportunity to find out about our past.

His work may also be shown through a live feed to the museum's audio visual theatre.

[​IMG]
    Neil Mahrer said it would be interesting working in the public eye

[​IMG]
    More than 70,000 coins and pieces of jewellery will need to be separated from the binding soil

[​IMG]
    The Crown claimed ownership of the hoard, discovered by Reg Mead and Richard Miles in a Grouville field

He said: "It will be removing coins from the surface of the Earth right through to the bottom of the hoard. People will be able to see every step of the work.

"We knew it would be a long job and so we thought we would do it in public. We are rebuilding the lab we have at the archive in the middle of the exhibition at the museum.

"Eventually there will be people working on the hoard 9-5 six days per week behind there. You will be able to see people removing the coins, treating them in acid to remove corrosion and using hand tools."

Val Nelson, Jersey Heritage Registrar, said although it was on display, it would be a working lab.

[​IMG]
    Timbers from a Gallo-Roman wreck found off Guernsey will go on display as part of the exhibition

"The coin hoard is going to be the major part of this exhibition, but we have borrowed other artefacts from Guernsey, Normandy and Brittany to put what was happening in this region into context," she said.

"The fact we have that amount of coins that were buried here in one go, and it wasn't the only hoard found here, it starts to ask all these questions. What we hope to do with this exhibition is to answer those questions and maybe ask some more questions."

[​IMG]
    Neil Mahrer said they would announce on social media when they are about to remove a gold or silver object

The Treasure: Uncovering Celts and Romans exhibition will allow visitors to watch as the team remove gold and silver objects, as well as coins from the hoard, thought to be worth about £10m.

Mr Mahrer said: "What we are very excited about is that we simply don't know what is inside the hoard, just by removing the soil without removing any coins we've found two gold torcs, a gold bracelet and something silver.

"If we can see there is a new large gold object coming out we will do constant updates on Facebook and Twitter to let people know when we are likely to remove it. Then perhaps we can say we intend to remove it on a certain day so people can arrange to be there when it happens."

He said he expected the whole process to take up to three years to complete.

The exhibition opens to the public on 2 June.

[​IMG]
    When the hoard last went on show at the museum more than 3,000 people turned up to visit

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-jersey-27309022?cbb

13. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Funny how the guy stated, "This coin will be in really good condition once it's cleaned up" while he's using his thumb to wipe dirt off the coin (doing so will leave scratches on the coin regardless of what it is made of). Still neat to see folks pull stuff out of the ground though :)

14. rte

rte Silver Member Silver Miner

Looks like a job for
    [​IMG]

15. searcher

Engineer finds ancient solid gold tribal necklace worth £20,000 in farmer's field full of grazing cows

• Treasure hunter David Spohr had given up search in Tarrant Valley, Dorset
    • But just as he was about to leave for lunch, his metal detector sounded
    • He had struck upon a 3,500-year-old tribal gold necklace worth £20,000
    • Discovered a Lunula - meaning 'little moon' in Latin due to their shape
    • The rigid necklaces worn by ancient tribal leaders as symbol of power
    ByAmanda Williams
    Published: 05:01 EST, 20 May 2014 | Updated: 11:19 EST, 20 May 2014

An engineer has discovered a 3,500-year-old tribal gold necklace worth £20,000 in a field full of grazing cows.

Part-time treasure hunter David Spohr had given up on his search in the Tarrant Valley, Dorset, and was on his way for lunch after a fruitless morning when his metal detector suddenly sounded.

At first glance, he said the dull metal object he unearthed looked to be nothing more precious than a rusty old sardine tin.

[​IMG]
    Engineer David Spohr has discovered a 3,500-year-old tribal gold necklace worth £20,000 in a field full of grazing cows

[​IMG]
    At first glance he said the dull metal object he unearthed looked to be nothing more precious than a rusty old sardine tin. Little did he know that it was a solid gold Lunula dating back to the Bronze Age

But after wiping off the mud he was shocked to find the object was a solid gold amulet.

The unremarkable lump was revealed to be a gold lunula, a crescent-shaped necklace dating back to the Bronze Age and engraved with an ancient pattern.

Lunulas - meaning 'little moon' in Latin due to their shape - were rigid necklaces worn by ancient tribal leaders as a symbol of power and authority.
    The lunula unearthed by Mr Spohr weighs 71.5 grams, and is one of only a handful found in mainland Britain - and the first to be discovered using a metal detector.

Only three others have ever been found in Britain, the last of which was dug up in Wales in 1869.

Mr Spohr, 55, a precision engineer, has now discovered the necklace could be worth as much as £20,000.

The find would have been worth even more but it is thought to have been damaged by a farmer's plough.

Mr Spohr, from Poole, Dorset, said: 'I headed across the field to get my sandwiches and kept the detector on as I walked.

[​IMG]
    Lunulas - meaning 'little moon' in Latin due to their shape - were rigid necklaces worn by ancient tribal leaders as a symbol of power and authority

[​IMG]
    The lunula unearthed by Mr Spohr weighs 71.5 grams, and is one of only a handful found in mainland Britain - and the first to be discovered using a metal detector

[​IMG]
    Mr Spohr, 55, a precision engineer, has now discovered the necklace could be worth as much as £20,000. The find would have been worth even more but it is thought to have been damaged by a farmer's plough

'Halfway across I got the signal. I dug very carefully and was quite amazed when I got it out.

'I could see it was yellow and so shiny. I also saw some engraved edges and I realised it was something special.

'We do find a lot of rubbish and you never think you're going to find a lump of gold.

'I have found some good things in the past but this was the find of a lifetime. You dream of finding something as significant as this. It was unbelievable.'

A treasure inquest will now be held and the value will be split between Mr Spohr and the owner of the field near Blandford.

It is then expected to go on show in a museum.

Mr Spohr, who has been treasure hunting for six years, added: 'It is being examined at the moment and will then go to the coroner who will declare it treasure.

'Its value is decided by a team of experts and typically you split it 50/50 with the landowner.

'I've heard everything from £2,000 to £20,000 but I'm not getting too excited until I get the letter.

'I'll probably use the money to go on holiday.'

[​IMG]
    A treasure inquest will now be held and the value will be split between Mr Spohr - who has been treasure hunting for six years - and the owner of the field near Blandford

[​IMG]
    Part time treasure hunter David Spohr had given up on his search in the Tarrant Valley, Dorset, and was on his way for lunch after a fruitless morning when his metal detector suddenly sounded

It is thought the lunula is between 2,500 and 4,500 years old but it is hoped the British Museum, who are currently examining it, will be able to narrow down the date.

Members of the Stour Valley Search and Recovery Club, of which Mr Spohr is a member, say the lunula is the most exciting find in their 30-year history.

Research by club members suggests that more than 80 of the 100 lunulas found in the past were in Ireland and several others on the coast of mainland Europe.

In mainland Britain, one was found in Wales in 1869 and three on the coast of Cornwall.

David Eagles, the club chairman, said: 'It is a very exciting find - a once in a lifetime discovery.

'Our club has been going 30 years and I can't think of a more significant find.

'We have been searching those fields for 25 years and they still continue to surprise us.

'David called me over when he made his discovery and it was very exciting to see the necklace come out of the ground.

'It is a wonder that it was still in tact after all these years.'
    AFTER THE GOLD RUSH: WHAT HAPPENS ONCE YOU FIND TREASURE ?

If you find any ancient objects whether they are made of precious metal or other metals or clay it is called ‘treasure trove’ and is the property of the Crown.

Anyone who finds objects which might be treasure trove must report it to the local police or museum, the local authority archaeologist.

Goods found in the sea or on the seashore could be from a ship and are known technically as ‘wreck’. All wreck must be reported to The Receiver of Wreck, The Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

Treasure discovered on land is governed by The Treasure Act.

If you find treasure, under the law you are obliged to report it to your local police station within 14 days. They will pass it on to the coroner who will decide whether it is defined as treasure.

If a museum wants to acquire the find, it is likely you will receive the market value price. However, if no one wishes to purchase it, the finder may be entitled to keep it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...farmers-field-grazing-cows.html#ixzz32OgjPtQb
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

16. searcher

17. searcher

#11 2014 Metal Detecting Wrap Up For Two Days In Mass, Silver Coins, Relics & More

[video=youtube_share;NpUJnpE-y4g]http://youtu.be/NpUJnpE-y4g[/video]

http://youtu.be/NpUJnpE-y4g

Published on Jun 5, 2014This is a video of just the wrap up of about a two day metal detecting hunt up in Mass with my cousin, Digging Don and Silver Shano! We didnt tape any finds being made at the time just put are finds down on a table at the end and made this video. Its over a month old now and I have more videos coming. As well as a great hunt coming this Saturday possibly. Some really nice finds in this video wrap up with colonial relics, Silver coins, buttons, Large coppers and more. Hope you all enjoy and make sure you check out my friend SilverShano videos. Also want to say had a great time and met a knew friend in digging Don. Enjoy and thanks for watching as always. By the way my voice didnt change for this video Shane is doing the wrap up for me. At the time figured people would want to hear from him since he took some time off from putting videos up. Than he passed that flu onto me and I havent put a video up for a while until now. I should be back to making videos now that my computer is working again. HH out there!

18. searcher

20 June 2014 Last updated at 07:36 ET

'Magnificent' Scottish treasure trove unearthed

[​IMG] The annual Scottish Treasure Trove report details the wide range of items discovered across the country in the past year including a gold ring found in Fife

A wide range of historic and ancient items discovered across Scotland have been catalogued in the annual Treasure Trove report.

They include a Roman wine dipper found in the Borders, a historic brooch from the Highlands, and a gold ring discovered in Midlot
    hian.
    The Queen's and Lord Treasurer's Remembrancer (QLTR) Catherine Dyer said it had been another "magnificent year".

She thanked members of the public who had reported their finds.

The latest report covers the period from 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2014.

[​IMG] A Roman wine dipper was discovered near Hawick in the Scottish Borders

[​IMG] An Iron Age strap mount was discovered at Dunbar in East Lothian

[​IMG] A Medieval crucifix was found at Loch Leven

It details matters dealt with by the QLTR and the Scottish Archaeological Finds Allocation Panel (SAFAP).

Under Scots law, it is the prerogative of the Crown to receive "all lost and abandoned property which is not otherwise owned".

The latest Treasure Trove report includes more than 800 objects discovered by more than 250 "finders".

They are generally given a small ex gratia payment to recognise their contribution.

The items found included a gold Merovingian coin dating from the 7th Century discovered at Coldstream in the Borders.

Such coins were in use across England, but finding one in Scotland is highly unusual and this was the first of its type to be located north of the border.

[​IMG] Culloden was the discovery site of a "canister shot" - a case of lead balls fired from a cannon at close range against charging cavalry

[​IMG] A gold Merovingian coin dating back to the 7th Century was found at Coldstream - the tremissis was a coin introduced by the late Roman Empire

[​IMG] A 16th Century gold ring was unearthed at Roslin in Midlothian

A Roman wine dipper was discovered at Hawick, while an Iron Age strap mount, which would have decorated the trappings of a horse and chariot, was found at Dunbar in East Lothian.

Other finds included a medieval silver crucifix at Loch Leven in Perth and Kinross, and a 16th Century gold finger ring decorated with white enamel which was discovered at Roslin in Midlothian.

Ms Dyer said: "The report confirms that this has been another magnificent year with some outstanding finds being reported, preserved and displayed in breathtaking museum collections around Scotland."

Some canister shot from Culloden in the Highlands was also unearthed, as were fragments of a bronze age sword blade found at Dundrennan in Dumfries and Galloway and a Roman brooch located at Charlestown in Fife.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-27941100?cbb

19. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX In God I Trust and most in GIM Gold Chaser

Yeah, I remember when that happened years ago. Of course their DumbAss moves helped get them caught.

20. searcher

#14 2014 Metal Detecting Pt 2 At NJ Colonial Home, Half Cent, Large Cent & Silver Coins

[video=youtube_share;g64GF2rTLY0]http://youtu.be/g64GF2rTLY0[/video]

http://youtu.be/g64GF2rTLY0

Published on Jun 20, 2014
    Went back to the old Colonial homesite this past Saturday with Joey again and had another great day with two coins 200 plus years old, silver coins, tokens, and more. I also went to the property during week on a Tuesday to hand over the relics for them to put on display and hit a few parts we detected already for about two hours and pulled a nice Large Cent 12 inches plus deep. The rest of the stuff was found on Saturday. This place has been great so far and going back again This Saturday to see what else we missed and to hit the church across the street that was built in 1790. Hope you all enjoy the video and hope to have some more good finds from this weekend to put up for you to see. The begining of this video is a little impersonation of Keith K talking to deers in his videos, but was a turtle for me.... Thanks for all who watch and enjoy the videos. Good luck out there!

21. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

In the United States, it's called "Finders Keepers." What a load of BS. What'd the "crown" do to earn it?

22. searcher

Nothing. I believe you could probably call it legalized theivery. Kinda like the "forfeiture laws" here in the states. You know, when the cops steal your cash but you're not charged with a crime.

23. searcher

[h=3]Treasure Coast treasure hunters find class ring stolen 40 years ago[/h]Posted: Jun 18, 2014 12:38 PM EDT<em class="wnDate">Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:38 PM EDT</em>By Rachel Leigh

[h=6][/h]
    [​IMG]

VERO BEACH, FL (WFLX) - A discovery at the bottom of sea off the Treasure Coast is bringing back some big memories for a man who lost a personal treasure decades ago.

The find occurred Monday just off of Vero Beach, offering even more proof that it is called the Treasure Coast for a reason. "We find everything you could possibly imagine," said Brent Brisben, who owns a local shipwreck salvage company.

Brisben and a team of divers look for buried treasure, and they have found a lot of it, in what remains of 11 Spanish ships that sank in along Indian River County waters 300 years ago.

Recently, the divers discovered a different kind of treasure inside the wreckage of one of the vessels. "We started finding some silver coins, some artifacts from the shipwreck, and we come up with a class ring," said Brisben.

One diver located a gold class ring in seemingly good condition.

After some research, Brisben determined the ring was from 1972 and Maury High School in Norfolk, Virginia. The letters 'PLL' were inscribed inside the band. "I've got to find this guy," said Brisben. "There was just no doubt in my mind. I had to find this guy, and if he was alive, I was getting this ring back to him," he said.

Brisben called Maury High School. A secretary put him in touch with an alumni group, and, in less than a few hours, Brisben was on the phone with a man named 'Rocky' who lives in Denver, Colorado. "Definitely, put it behind me," said Rocky from Denver. "It was out of sight, out of mind, until I got the phone call."

Rocky said it was in 1975 near Miami, where he lived at the time, when he last saw his beloved class ring. His apartment, he said, was robbed. "Everything was boxed up, so really didn't have an indication of what was taken," he said. "I just know the ring was gone."

Somehow, the ring ended up in the Atlantic Ocean in the churning surf and sand all this time. "Apparently, found it in a 300-year-old frigate, and I had no idea how it got there."

'Rocky' is a nickname he has had since childhood he said. His real name is Percival Leonard Longworth. His initials are what he had inscribed inside that class ring four decades ago. "It's a ring I really never thought I'd see again," he said.

The treasure hunters are in the process of shipping that ring to Denver; meanwhile, Rocky said, he just hopes it still fits on his finger after all these years.

Brisben's company, 1715 Fleet-Queens Jewels, LLC , purchased the salvage rights to the sunken ships. The Treasure Coast was named as such because of the bounty within those and other vessels.

Copyright 2014 WFLX. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/25809600...ing-stolen-40-years-ago#.U6LJW2USLm4.facebook

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

24. searcher

#15 2014 Metal Detecting Pt 3, NJ Colonial Home, Two Cent & Large Cent Coins & More

[video=youtube_share;dRs-mfw0V_4]http://youtu.be/dRs-mfw0V_4[/video]

http://youtu.be/dRs-mfw0V_4

Published on Jun 25, 2014
    Yep, this is part 3 now of this same Colonial home 3 weekends in a row on a Saturday and its still producing. Joey and I got there about two in the afternoon and put in a good six hours of detecting. We both got a few real nice coins and some good dates on a few of them as well. I got my best dated 2 Cent coin by the church built in 1790 and Joey got two keepers there as well. Also scored another Large cent at colonial home and Joey a nice old British coin. More finds as well but have to watch and see. We got one more video coming from here which we did good with silver coins and yeah another Copper. Thanks for watching and hope you all enjoy.

25. searcher

#16 2014 Metal Detecting Last Finds At Colonial Home, Large Cent, Silver Coins & More

[video=youtube_share;fojE58NpzuU]http://youtu.be/fojE58NpzuU[/video]

http://youtu.be/fojE58NpzuU

Published on Jul 2, 2014
    This is a video of last weeks two different hunts back to back at the Colonial homesite to basiclly finish detecting there for now. It was Joey and I and we cleaned up good. Plenty of silver coins and another great large cent. Also did real good with the old nickels and pulled some relics as well. We will be going back there again soon and doing the old school across the street as well. In this video its the Colonial home as well as the 1920s home that they own behind it which has been good to us as well. Next video is already being made as we found a knew spot with some good history and some old finds already. I will post that soon. Good Luck to everyone and thanks for watching.

26. searcher

JULY 3rd - PM - Rings in the scoop - gold 10k/w ice

[video=youtube_share;w1kgH0ykCNE]http://youtu.be/w1kgH0ykCNE[/video]

http://youtu.be/w1kgH0ykCNE

Published on Jul 3, 2014
    Denny and I head back to nada for the afternoon low tide.

Few targets, tickets and looters were around this evening.

Sounds like Hurricane Arthur is kicking up and heading our way -- more on that on Friday.

Did get to see one really nice gold ring today.

Good luck to everyone -- see you soon.

27. searcher

Beach Treasure Hunting clip #1

[video=youtube_share;e13ZhroBf6w]http://youtu.be/e13ZhroBf6w[/video]

http://youtu.be/e13ZhroBf6w

Uploaded on Sep 12, 2010
    At low tide on a cloudy September afternoon I hunt for lost jewelry, coins and other stuff buried in the wet sand of the soft sand beach with a Minelab Excalibur II beach/salt water metal detector. Ocean City can be a productive hunting location since it is such a popular tourist spot. In this video, I find a few modern coins and a unidentified heart shaped pendant that could be silver or white gold and diamonds. Many seagulls are interested as you will also see throughout the video clip.

28. searcher

Metal Detecting Miami Florida - Snorkling for Gold.mp4

[video=youtube_share;8LaLKI0PWgg]http://youtu.be/8LaLKI0PWgg[/video]

http://youtu.be/8LaLKI0PWgg

Uploaded on Dec 25, 2010
    Chuck in Miami Florida hunts for treasure by detecting & snorkling. Two great hobbies for the young and old. Chuck has been snorkle hunting for 30 plus years, and is a Pro. His Gold ring count for 2009 was 68, earning him the top award on The forum Treasure Depot as Ring Daddy 2009. 2010 chucks ring count is 32, sofar for the year. If your interested in this great hobby, you must be in good physical condition, and trained by a certificed Snorkel Diver. Thanks for watching..........Obn/joe

29. searcher

Beach metal detecting with Mal at Bournemouth, UK - 03rd May 2012

[video=youtube_share;5tBx05IORso]http://youtu.be/5tBx05IORso[/video]

http://youtu.be/5tBx05IORso

Published on May 10, 2012
    A day beach metal detecting with Mal at Bournemouth in the UK using Minelab Excalibur II showing finds and setting up Excalibur for hunt. Loads of finds and a big surprise, a first for me.

"Free Royalty Free Music by DanoSongs.com". Tracks are "Modernization" and
    "According to the blue print"

30. searcher

#17 2014 Metal Detecting A Real Old Garden Site, Silver Coins & Jewelry, Indian Cents & More

[video=youtube_share;X9Tfasg5nik]http://youtu.be/X9Tfasg5nik[/video]

http://youtu.be/X9Tfasg5nik

Published on Jul 4, 2014
    My cousin found another great old site which is now a weird kinda park that is just a huge property with a big old garden on it from when an owner once lived there. This video is two different wrap ups and finds from two small hunts last week. We did good with the amount of time and ground we covered so far. Found some silver coins, real nice barber dime, Indian cents and relics. Enjoy the video and please help me I.D the one military pin that I found as well. I think its WW1 maybe older. Also found some real cool tin type photos in the ground which are now some of my favorite finds. ALso found earliest dog tag ever, or my cousin did I should say. Happy Hunting out there!

31. searcher

JULY 4TH - It was Hell in the Land of Nada Today after Arthur

[video=youtube_share;4dqJyrQiaQ0]http://youtu.be/4dqJyrQiaQ0[/video]

http://youtu.be/4dqJyrQiaQ0

32. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

I have a bit of input, here...

It is ILLEGAL to use a metal detector in Florida oceans.

I found this out by having someone point me to the fargin law. Only the beaches... and only then "..beach areas only with permission of Park Manager." <-- And NEVER on any beach that is under active lifeguard purview. Jeez.

You must have a specific Treasure Salvor permit to go in the fargin water with your MD.

What a pain inna ass.

The guy shown above is risking it. There's a helluva fine.

AHA!!! Just as this guys says inside the first minute of the video: "I can go only down to the water's edge..."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  33. searcher

Unca.............any reason why they are so picky? The MD'ers aren't hurting anyone or anything. It seems like nonsense to me.

34. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

I'm only guessing, searcher, but I can betcha that... oh, wait. I haveta tell you that I have worked on a treasure salvor ship right offa Jupiter Inlet. So I KNOW that the State has got an EXTREMELY tight grip on anything coming out of the water.

Case in point: After about a hour of letter-box blow, you will suddenly see shells coming up with the sand. This is the indicator that you have reached the rock floor. (There is 18' over overburden sand at Jupiter Inlet.)

OK. So the team goes down and metal detects on the teeny tiny cleared space (a circle about ten feet across). This is whut hoppens next:

WHATEVER you bring up out of the water... beer cans, sinkers, condoms, reels, even fargin ROCKS... you HAND IMMEDIATELY TO THE STATE WATCHDOG ON THE BOAT.

Beer cans, sinkers, rocks, etc. get tossed in a huge garbage can. Any coins or other goodies are taken by the guy, photographed and logged. The State of Floriduh gets a cut, d'ysee...

Starting over, I can betcha that it is because this LAW exists that the State of Floriduh gets ginormous "found money" windfalls from time to time without them investing a thing. Even the salvor's license costs...

Now, for the "you cannot MD on a beach like that guy in the second video was doing in amongst a huge crowd" law: They tole me it was distracting to the lifeguards. So you can ONLY MD on non-lifeguarded beaches (up to the waterline, but NOT up to the sea oats in the other direction). If there is no lifeguard on duty, go for it.

Further -- and TINS -- if you are happily MD-ing away in the middle of the deserted beach and find a piece of eight... YOU MUST TURN IT IN. Rings, watches, US coins, OK -- keep them. NO "TREASURE".

The fines for doing what the two videos above show are enormous.

searcher likes this.
  35. searcher

JULY 5TH - Rings in the Scoops - Clad and Bling

[video=youtube_share;-6j6VCP3Aaw]http://youtu.be/-6j6VCP3Aaw[/video]

http://youtu.be/-6j6VCP3Aaw

Published on Jul 5, 2014
    nada was entirely different beach this evening.
    saw mr beaver, george from yonkers, saw traveling couple for the first time today and the fast man.

denny and tim went this morning and conditions were like friday evening and only some bling for them, but denny said he counted 13 hunters in the water and damp sand.

good luck to everyone - see you in the lane - crack of dawn for surfchurch.

36. searcher

JULY 6TH Surfchurch - Gold Rings in the Scoops - Tiffany too

[video=youtube_share;H8ZP4bX-8rI]http://youtu.be/H8ZP4bX-8rI[/video]

http://youtu.be/H8ZP4bX-8rI

Published on Jul 6, 2014
    Surfchurch Sunday was a really great day for many looters plundering the ocean today and like other days, it was not so good for some others. You just have to swing over it to find it as they say.

You will get to see one of the biggest gold bands I have ever laid my eyes on and another wonderful 13 gram. Gold nugget ring and there was also another nice one found today also.

For me it was a really nice Tiffany & company 925 Toggle bracelet -- says $250.00 on their webpage.--- I like it -- and someone else really likes it (smile)

Stand by for afternoon surfchurch I suspect.

Good luck to everyone.

37. searcher

JULY 6TH-PM: Gold Ring in the Scoop-rings in the scoops-Treasure Spin

[video=youtube_share;YrKSiL5XSSg]http://youtu.be/YrKSiL5XSSg[/video]

http://youtu.be/YrKSiL5XSSg

Published on Jul 7, 2014
    first off lets say that this video is shot entirely with the gopro inside the waterproof case using 1080p and Narrow except the round up was shot with gopro out of case. all pictures shot with cannon reg. camera.
    denny was on fire last evening and he is back at it again today.

denny said driving home last night that he has found 29 rings with his new CTX3030 and it will be 1 month old today.

i had to stay home and get those gardening and yard stuff sharpened from the knife gig on saturday,, but will make the evening spin at nada tonight - stand by for more.

lot of pics at the end - lot of bling.

enjoy - see you - good luck to everyone

38. searcher

JULY 8TH -Rings in the Scoops - some bling - 3 bay spins today

[video=youtube_share;0XXGmMLPRzE]http://youtu.be/0XXGmMLPRzE[/video]

http://youtu.be/0XXGmMLPRzE

Published on Jul 8, 2014
    Well all of the video from Monday evening is corrupted and since it was b l e a k anyway no one missed anything at all.

Today was bleak as well. We made 3 spins on the bay here and there and 3 rings were found, but no one found any gold tickets.

Tim hit 2 rings - Denny hit one - I was the bling guy.

Gary stopped by and showed us a few nice rings he has found of late and couple blingers also. - all in all he had some nice yellow - u will see it.

I will upload denny's finds from this morning and add them to the spin on wed. I am bound outside now for grass duty.

See u soon. Good luck to everyone.

39. searcher

JULY 10TH - Gold Rings in the Scoop - clad and bling

[video=youtube_share;VzEuDO7-r0c]http://youtu.be/VzEuDO7-r0c[/video]

http://youtu.be/VzEuDO7-r0c

Published on Jul 10, 2014
    Sometimes in life you make the wrong choice -- Happens. Today we turns left and someone turned right -- right was the best of it as u will see in the vid.

You will get to see some nice yellow.

Denny and I could only find clad and bling today in the land of nada. Tomorrow we will turn right and take a spin on the bay.

That storm u will see part of was really bad down by the ocean front -- tore up may things around 15th and 16th. street. - like a mini tornado.

You will see a 925 earring that I found today, when denny saw it, he said that is the exact earring that the unknown man found one day last week and then he lost it. I emailed him and he said looked just like it, and he lost it almost where I found it.

Good luck to everyone -- see you on Friday.

40. searcher

#18 2014 Metal Detecting Some More Silver Coins & Another Large Cent

[video=youtube_share;LV63BT7dN9c]http://youtu.be/LV63BT7dN9c[/video]

http://youtu.be/LV63BT7dN9c

Published on Jul 12, 2014
    This video is from July 5th when I detected by the old Colonial homesite again and the school two houses away. Also did a sidewalk strip right near all that as well and pulled a few silvers. The school I detected only about an hour and pulled a beautiful Large Cent from there and a silver coin. I am going to back to there today and maybe Sunday to get some more olides there. ENjoy the video and thanks for watching.