1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Metal detector recommendations?

Discussion in 'Collecting, along with Metals and Numi's' started by AceNZ, Jul 14, 2016.

1. AceNZ

AceNZ Silver Member Silver Miner

I have a Garrett GTI 2500 detector that I got in 2001. It's never had very good sensitivity or discrimination. I liked the idea of a display that gave an indication of depth, but unfortunately it doesn't work very well.

Any suggestions for something much better? My primary use would be at the beach, and secondary in parks and the like.

2. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Garrett AT Pro as long as you stay in the dry sand at the beach and they are awesome for park and any other land hunting.
    If you plan on hunting in the salt water you will need a salt capable machine, very different animal there.
    You are already familiar with Garrett machines so the transition will be damn near seamless. Also there are now aftermarket coils for AT's that are flat out awesome. I use a NEL Attack 15 inch coil for water hunting and I hear things my competition can't.
    I have been using 2 'Pros for the last 5 years and I swear by them. Good hunting to you!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    searcher likes this.
  3. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

4. AceNZ

Thanks. Any idea how the AT Pro differs from the 2500? After my experience with the 2500, I'm a little nervous about trying Garrett again (although I have one of their small Pro-Pointers, which has been great).

5. AceNZ

Definitely cool. Unfortunately, last I heard, good ones were still in the $15K range. Do you know of any that are more reasonably priced?

ctrl-z likes this.
  6. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

I recommend you hit the forums and see what users of both have to say because I have never used a 2500.
    The AT Pro is fresh technology, light weight, very fast recovering between targets and runs DD coils. I hunt Gold in fresh water and could afford any machine I want just from the stuff I find. I stick with the AT Pro because it is the best machine for what I need. It's great in the dirt too but in the fresh water it's a killer.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/238558-pro-vs-gti-2500-a.html
    http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=115691
    http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,1638205

aa1.jpg
    3-14-16rs.jpg

Cigarlover, searcher and REO 54 like this.
  7. GOLDZILLA

If I did,I would have bought it...

searcher likes this.
  8. GOLDZILLA

9. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

You get one yet ?

I am an E-trac operator and enjoy its versatility... disclosure statement.
    Started with Whites and they work fine, but limited.
    Much has changed since E-trac came out to lead the pack and at the same time, much has not.
    There are zero regulations or specification requirements within detector industry.
    Hearsay and horse pucky abound.
    That said.
    Garret AT Pro is upper middle class + WATERPROOF.
    E-trac is versatile weighs less than waterproof twin Minelab CTX 3030. Versatility in programming, thus usage.
    If E-trac chose program from metaldetectingworld.com guy knows some angles.
    Waterproof is only gain as coil purchase can offset 3030's 1/2 inch depth gain, ex. 13" Ultimate coil A++
    Although E-trac is not pick-up and run, it does have learning curve.
    XP Deus friend purchased when E-trac needed service, a lightweight dream boat.
    However, not even safe near water, batteries not removable to exchange charge, and coil cost is horrific.
    Yes, you can add cost with waterproofing the XP.
    But, it is featherweight for any shoulder injury human... like me.
    I am right handed but use left arm with detector and right for left when exhausted muscles, MUST KEEP SWINGING.
    Friend and I do detect when darkness arrives and into dark when warm nights.
    He says E-trac at night is easier for operation to be quieter and less visible.
    Such is needed as people are so paranoid when seeing a permission property, not theirs, being swung at night.
    Cops do not care when shown written permission, but owners like peaceful nights as we all do.

I am saving for a XP Deus, but that will take a couple years, like it did for my E-trac.
    I am hoping an improved XP Deus or Minelab product appears beforehand.
    Minelab shot itself in the foot with CTX 3030 and competition came forth.
    However, the trivial gains are seemingly counterbalanced with limitations.
    Let us see a AT Pro user friendly, XP light weight, E-trac versatile, with removable and battery belt powerable,
    hand grip angle adjustable, waterproof, well lit, remote or attached head phone and within current $1500 range.

Appears to me all is there but companies are arguing amongst themselves and within like auto manufacturers.
    They remain stuck to bolt to frame, gasoline powered, overweight carriages, with decorations trucks... shite.
    Let us see a new company, or model truly invented with MotoGP Aprilla/Honda/Suzuki/Triumph/Yamaha advances not Harley Davidson lethargy.
    So be cautious and ask local users on YOUR ground which if in NZ where I have been, not much metal in the ground. Great MC roads I will say. Or smoldering up 90 mile beach off season like a retard, laughing the whole way. Oh, I wiped out in the middle of nowhere and had to dig myself out from under the bike with the tide coming in... HA! Just went faster after that.. that's the key. HA !
    So much water down there to search and so much sand, but legal limitations I have heard.
    Lots of farms too, and I love them for relics of the commoners.
    Best holes to you and luck with equipment.