1. Stocks continue to roll off recent highs, while metals catch a bid
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thu Morning! Gold is up 6.6 to 1252, and Silver is up 17 to 16.55. Crude is up 26 to 4279. The USD is flat at 9721
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/10/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1271.40-- DOWN 8.80 Silver $17.22-- DOWN 30 Oil $45.83-- DOWN 1.83 USD $97.01 -- UP 37 TICS
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Metals and magnets

Discussion in 'Purchasing Precious Metals' started by Professur, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I'm gonna have to give this a shot

Ragnarok, Mujahideen and <SLV> like this.
  2. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Silver Miner Site Supporter

Well, Prof, did you try it? I've always done the silver slide with a magnet thing for playing around with magnets and PMs. Never tried the float in water trick. I would be concerned that the Styrofoam that he uses to float stuff would attract to your hand and skew the demo.

BF

3. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    A few years ago, I bought from some Chinese company a bunch of rare earth (neodymium) magnets of various sizes and shapes, the cost was so little as to be almost free. They are insanely strong, you cannot pull 2 quarter sized magnets apart, you have to separate them by sliding them to the side and even that is hard. If you want to stick your lawn mower to your refrigerator, these are your magnets.

4. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Last year I removed approximately 40 to 50 yards of that old green metal lawn edging from my flower beds and yard.

This stuff...
    [​IMG]

It was so old and brittle that a lot of it broke apart so I ended up with pieces of rusty metal scattered throughout the beds and yard.

I put on some canvas gloves and waved 2x2x1 neodymium magnet across the areas where I removed the edging to pick up the pieces that were left behind. Worked like a charm, even "found" a stake that I had accidentally overlooked.

5. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Silver Miner Site Supporter