1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Metals Down! [sale]

Discussion in 'PM Trading/Stocks/Technical Analysis' started by REO 54, Mar 6, 2012.

1. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Paper metals getting unwound as stocks rally.......

PRECIOUS-Gold falls on dollar, investors monitor China, Fed policy:

By Clara Denina

LONDON, Aug 26 (Reuters) - Gold slipped one percent on Wednesday as the dollar gained and European shares recouped some of their losses, while investors closely monitored China's efforts to support its economy.

Sentiment in the more industrial precious metals also deteriorated on worries about global growth. Silver fell nearly 3 percent to $14.26, its lowest since August 2009 and palladium, mainly used in emissions control systems for cars, trucks and other vehicles, touched a five-year low.

Spot gold was down 0.9 percent to $1,129.91 an ounce by 1212 GMT, on track for a third day of losses. The decline added to a 1.2 percent fall on Tuesday, its steepest since July 20, made as global stock markets rebounded.

U.S. gold for December delivery dropped 0.8 percent to $1,129.60 an ounce.

"Nothing looks particularly attractive at the moment, the volatility in equity markets, the very low level of bond yields," Capital Economics chief global economist Julian Jessop said.

"Currencies on the other hand seem to be more driven by perceptions of what the Fed might do on rates, while there haven't really been major and obvious big moves in safe havens."

The dollar rose 0.2 percent against a basket of leading currencies, while European stocks pared earlier losses on hopes of further European Central Bank monetary support.

Worries lingered on whether China's actions would be enough to stabilise its cooling economy or halt a collapse in its stock markets.

"Drip-feed of stimulus might not be sufficient to arrest aggressive bears, or significantly lift the economy in a demand-constrained world," Mizuho Bank said in a note.

That could put the focus back on a potential U.S. interest rate increase this year, dampening gold's appeal.

Federal Reserve's William Dudley speaks later in the day.

"The key factor that underpins the bearish view for gold is very much the Fed rate hike expectation and that possibility is not off the table," said Barnabas Gan, analyst at OCBC Bank in Singapore.

U.S. data on Tuesday showed consumer confidence hit a seven-month high in August, suggesting underlying strength in the economy that could still allow the Federal Reserve to hike rates this year.

OCBC's Gan said gold, which touched a near seven-week high of $1,168.40 last week, could only rally towards $1,200 "if there is confirmation that a U.S. rate hike will not happen this year".

Platinum was down 0.3 percent at $969.50 an ounce. (Additional reporting by Manolo Serapio Jr in Manila; Editing by William Hardy and David Evans)

More From Reuters
    PRECIOUS-Gold set for biggest weekly rise since January as stocks, dollar slide |21 Aug
    Gold below multi-week highs; PGMs tumble on equities rout |24 Aug
    Exclusive: South Africa mine industry job plan targets platinum as central bank rese… |26 Aug

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/26/markets-precious-idUSL4N1112QA20150826

2. REO 54

Gold futures log lowest settlement in a month:

Asia, Europe stock rally, dollar strength pressure prices
    Gold futures logged their lowest settlement in a month on Wednesday, as a rise in Asian and European equities and strength in the U.S. dollar lured investors away from the precious metal.

Gold for December delivery GCZ5, +0.41% gave up $19, or 1.7%, to settle at $1,102 an ounce on Comex. That was the lowest settlement price since Aug. 7. Gold prices have fallen 10 out of the last 12 sessions. That doesn’t include Monday, which didn't see a Comex settlement price because of the Labor Day holiday.

( interactive chart at site)

Asian and European stocks rallied, while U.S. stocks were trading lower by the Comex settlement in the wake of their second-best rally of the year on Tuesday.

Appetite for risk combined with a stronger dollar as measured by the U.S. ICE Dollar index DXY, -0.14% weighed on the dollar-denominated yellow metal.

“There is still fear in the gold market, driven by next week’s interest rate decision” by the U.S. Federal Reserve, said Taki Tsaklanos, head of research at Secular Investor.

“Although a declining number of economists are expecting an interest rate hike, traders are taking a different stance, he said. “With the stock market correction coming to a halt, traders are eyeing stocks again.”

The gold market is also “lacking external triggers which can take prices higher,” said Tsaklanos. Until the market sees new triggers, “gold’s attractiveness will remain lackluster.”

He said that gold looks like it is ready to retest its early August lows at $1,080. “If that level does not hold, traders will be focusing on $1,000 an ounce, which will offer technical and psychological support,” he said.

In other metals, December silver SIZ5, +0.06% settled with a loss of 17.9 cents, or 1.2%, at $14.576 an ounce.

December high-grade copper HGZ5, -0.35% closed up less than half a cent at $2.437 a pound. October platinum PLV5, -0.05% lost $21.70, or 2.2%, to $981.20 an ounce and December palladium PAZ5, -0.27% shed $8.60, or 1.5%, to $577.95 an ounce.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gold-futures-pressured-by-global-stock-rally-2015-09-09

3. REO 54

....and another Friday Smackdown continues......what a broken record....good for stacking though!

Why Are Gold Prices Down for the Third Straight Week?:

goldGold Prices Down Today: Gold prices were lower in early trading today (Friday) as traders remain guarded ahead of next week's U.S. Federal Reserve meeting.

The spot price of gold hit a low of $1,097.90 in early trading. That put gold prices at a two-week low. Gold prices are also on pace for a third straight week of declines.

Precious metal traders are waiting for the Federal Reserve's meeting next Wednesday and Thursday before making big moves. Monetary policy will be the major topic of the meeting. Investors are waiting to see if the U.S. central bank initiates its first interest rate hike in seven years.

Gold prices have benefited in recent years from near-zero interest rates. Gold is a dollar-denominated commodity, so the precious metal becomes more expensive for international buyers when the dollar rises. A rise in interest rates would strengthen the U.S. dollar.

Expectations of an interest rate hike, which have been hovering over the marketplace for more than a year, have cast a shadow over gold prices. Those prospects have helped push gold prices down 7.5% year to date and 11.8% over the last 12 months.

Gold Prices Down As Traders Watch the Fed

Forecasts of when the Fed will actually raise rates remain mixed. That uncertainty about the Fed's timing has many traders sitting on the sidelines and waiting to take solid gold positions.

"Chances are that [rates] will remain in hold for another month," Jonathan Butler, a precious metals strategist at Mitsubshi, told The Wall Street Journal. "But the market is in 'wait-and-see' mode."

Still, some industry experts expect gold prices to head higher in the coming weeks and months as concerns escalate about the health of the global economy.

"Given the weaker dollar and the potential for further contagion from China, especially in emerging markets, we wouldn't be surprised to see gold work higher," William Adams, head of research at Fastmarkets, said in a note to investors Friday.

Worries over extreme volatility in worldwide financial markets and anxiety over slowing growth in China should also provide a cushion for gold prices. China's Shanghai Index is down 38% from the high it hit in June.

Stay informed on what's going on in the markets by following us on Twitter @moneymorning.

Protect Yourself from a Total Market Collapse: According to CIA Asymmetric Threat Advisor Jim Rickards, there are five "flashpoints" that signal the death of the U.S. dollar and a complete economic collapse in the United States. Here's how you can protect yourself, and your money, before it's too late…

Related Articles:

Bloomberg: Asian Markets
    The Wall Street Journal: Gold Prices Down on U.S. Rate Doubts

4. Winomaster

Winomaster Seeker

Such a tease...this is something I want to know!

REO 54 likes this.
  5. REO 54

Yeah 5.

Like the 5 Finger Death Punch.

I'm grounded and connected to my local economy for a 200 mile radius. We work it out.

I'm good.

6. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

"ccording to CIA Asymmetric Threat Advisor Jim Rickards, there are five "flashpoints" that signal the death of the U.S. dollar and a complete economic collapse in the United States. Here's how you can protect yourself, and your money, before it's too late…"
    What are they?

7. REO 54

Good question. There are many good questions. Answers are what is hard to come by.( truthful, quality vetted answers. Like that's gonna happen)

Scorpio likes this.
  8. REO 54

PRECIOUS-Gold adds to losses as U.S. rate outlook weighs:

Currencies | Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:12am EDT
    PRECIOUS-Gold adds to losses as U.S. rate outlook weighs
    * Gold firms after dropping 0.7 pct in previous session
    * Traders await U.S. economic data this week for cues

(Adds comment, updates prices)
    By A. Ananthalakshmi
    SINGAPORE, Sept 28 Gold extended losses into a
    second session on Monday ahead of a key U.S. jobs report this
    week, pressured by worries the Federal Reserve would raise
    interest rates this year.
    Several Fed officials are scheduled to speak this week,
    keeping the focus of the bullion market firmly on U.S. monetary
    policy. Traders will also be closely monitoring economic data,
    including nonfarm payrolls data due on Friday, to gauge the
    strength of the economy.
    Spot gold had eased 0.3 percent to $1,142.40 an ounce
    by 0655 GMT. The metal had dropped 0.7 percent on Friday after
    Fed chair Janet Yellen said the U.S. central bank would begin to
    raise rates this year.
    "Gold remains driven largely by expectations of Fed policy,
    given the still high uncertainty about the hike date," Barclays
    analysts said in a note.
    Gold had earlier benefited from ultra-low rates, but the
    non-interest-paying metal has lost about 3 percent this year on
    fears that demand could take a hit with higher rates.
    Data on Friday supported the view that the Fed could begin
    raising rates this year. U.S. gross domestic product rose at a
    3.9-percent annual pace in the second quarter, up from the 3.7
    percent reported last month.
    The Fed has said the timing of a rate hike would be data
    dependent.
    "Interest around $1,141 should continue to support gold over
    the short-term, while $1,155 will provide resistance," said MKS
    Group trader Sam Laughlin.
    Earlier in the month, the Fed delayed a long-anticipated
    rise in U.S. rates, citing concerns over the global economy and
    improving investor sentiment towards gold. Holdings in SPDR Gold
    Trust, the world's top gold-backed exchange-traded fund, rose
    for a fourth straight session on Friday.
    Hedge funds and money managers raised their bullish bets in
    COMEX gold futures and in the week to Sept. 22, U.S. Commodity
    Futures Trading Commission data showed on Friday.
    Among other precious metals, platinum fell 1 percent
    to $933.15 on Monday, after posting its biggest weekly drop
    since July on Friday.
    The metal had fallen to a 6-1/2-year low last week on fears
    that the Volkswagen emissions scandal could dent demand for
    diesel cars, where it is used in catalysts.
    Palladium fell over 1 percent, following a near
    10-percent jump last week, its biggest weekly gain since
    December 2011.

PRICES AT 0655 GMT
    Metal Last Change Pct chg

Spot gold 1142.4 -3.46 -0.3
    Spot silver 15 -0.08 -0.53
    Spot platinum 933.15 -10.34 -1.1
    Spot palladium 652.22 -9.25 -1.4
    Comex gold 1141.7 -3.9 -0.34
    Comex silver 14.97 -0.141 -0.93
    Euro 1.1171
    DXY 96.307

COMEX gold and silver contracts show the
    most active months

(Reporting by A. Ananthalakshmi; Editing by Ed Davies and
    Joseph Radford

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/28/markets-precious-idUSL3N11Y1DC20150928

9. REO 54

Well gee whiz, quite the sale going on......

Trick or Treat?

10. REO 54

A Tool? A Fool? …Or Rewriting History?
    Bill Holter

After writing my last piece regarding Martin Armstrong I thought that would be enough, it wasn’t. A reader replied and forwarded this recent article by Mr. Armstrong “Did Gold Survive the Depression? Please read this short article twice before continuing to my commentary. I had to read this twice myself because the first time through I kept saying “Huh?”, the second time through all I could say is “WHAT???”!

OK, let’s start with a most ridiculous statement, one patently false and a revision of history …”You are doomed if you cling to the idea that gold will rise simply because stocks decline. Gold was DEVALUED in 1934 since gold was MONEY. What it could purchase for $20.67 then cost $35. The government confiscated gold and moved to a TWO-TIER monetary system with gold used exclusively for international settlements, not domestic.” Gold was NOT “devalued”, it was “revalued” higher versus the dollar. Another way to say this is “the dollar was devalued versus gold”. This is fact. He then said “what it could purchase for $20.67 then cost $35″. Really Martin? Don’t you mean the $20.67 that used to be required to purchase one ounce of gold then cost $35 or about 70% MORE DOLLARS!???

The crux of the rest of his article is “gold is not money”, he claims dollars are money. He defines money as: “MONEY is solely what another will accept because they know someone else will accept it from them. You cannot dictate to the world what you think should be money”. He goes on to say “They refuse to understand that MONEY is just a unit or account and a medium of exchange that everyone must agree on”. …um no Martin, you just described “currency”, NOT money! You also forgot another minor point (of many), MONEY MUST BE FIRST AND FOREMOST A STORE OF VALUE!!!

In case you were wondering Martin, even the BIS considers gold to be “money”. In fact, gold is considered to be tier one capital on the balance sheet of central banks and banks in general. You can even ask Alan Greenspan this question whether gold is money or not. He has already answered “during a time of stress, gold is THE ULTIMATE form of settlement” (MONEY)! Or, ask the Chinese if gold is money? They are not importing the worlds entire global production to make solid gold toilets or bathtubs. They know gold is and always has been money. If they preferred dollars instead of gold then why are they not selling gold and securely storing dollar bills?

Lastly he says “Did gold rally because of fiat? No. Gold rallied because the banking system was collapsing. These people kept buying gold, swearing QE1-3 was inflationary, and lost all the way down because they failed to comprehend that this is not a battle against fiat.” The term “QE” (quantitative easing) IS in fact synonymous with monetization of debt. This is also fact. In order to HIDE this fact, gold price has necessarily been suppressed. If you look at the graph below, it shows 293 paper contract gold ounces are now outstanding versus each real gold ounce held in COMEX registered inventories. How is this explained Mr. Armstrong? This is not manipulation? Is this not the reverse of the manipulation you were squealing about when you were short silver while Warren Buffett was buying?

clip_image001

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-...ry-ounce-physical-comex-registered-gold-hits-

…I might add, this is exactly what a chart of gold would look like were it not for millions of fake and nonexistent gold ounces being sold to suppress the price!

To finish, Martin Armstrong “talks (writes) down” to his readers and in particular hard money advocates. In this instance he is just plain wrong no matter how much of a historian he believes himself to be. I asked the question yesterday whether part of his release deal was to “talk the federal mantra” regarding gold. He is clearly not representing history correctly and certainly a logic apologist when it comes to his denial of manipulation. In my opinion, I would say he is either “A Tool? A Fool? …or rewriting history?

Let me put it this way, Martin Armstrong is either disingenuous (lying), completely wrong in his logic AND revising historical fact. I don’t know about you as a reader but as for me, if you lie to me, try to tell me 2+2=5 or tell me a story I know is incorrect, I no longer will even listen to what you have to say. This is where I now am with Martin Armstrong. I thought prior to reading his missive he was “certifiable”. Now I know he has “certified” himself in history …WRITTEN history that can now only be rewritten in his own grandiose mind!

Standing watch,

Bill Holter
    Holter-Sinclair collaboration

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/11.15/tool.html

11. REO 54

How low? Who knows. In this cartoon world of propaganda where liars figure and figures lie what is the truth? The truth is what you hold in your hand.

By Szu Ping Chan5:00AM GMT 12 Nov 2015 Comments34 Comments
    China's historic devaluation of the yuan this summer fuelled a gold bar and coin "buying spree" in the country as investors sought to shelter themselves from further market volatility, according to the World Gold Council.
    Lower gold prices pushed up overall gold demand by 8pc in the third quarter to 1,120.9 tonnes compared with a year earlier, following an early sell-off by Western investors anticipating a US interest rate rise.
    This represents the strongest demand since the second quarter of 2013.
    "Having trudged a little wearily through the first six months of the year, the gold market started the third quarter with a jolt," it said in its quarterly gold demand trends report.
    "The US dollar gold price dropped to a five-year low [in July] and consumers were spurred into action."

Chinese demand for gold rose in the third quarter Photo: AFP
    Bar and coin demand jumped by 33pc during the quarter to 295.7 tonnes, according to the council, led by a 70pc year-on-year increase in Chinese investment. Jewellery demand rose by 6pc to 631.9 tonnes.
    The council also said the appetite for physical gold soared in the US, where demand for Eagle coins rose to levels not seen since the financial crisis.
    Alistair Hewitt, head of market intelligence, said demand among Chinese investors was driven by the combination of the sharp price drop and the Bank of China's decision to devalue the renminbi in August.
    "Gold will always be an asset of choice for Chinese investors and savers.
    "A lot of retail investors now want to own something tangible, something real, something which they understand."
    Alistair Hewitt
    "The price dip, the stock market turmoil, the depreciation of the yuan - it gave people an opportunity to reappraise their outlook and as a result you saw surging growth in bar, coin and jewellery demand," he said.
    In Europe, investors continued to plough their money into physical gold amid fears that the Greek crisis would return or Russia's recession would deepen.
    UK demand for bar and coin jumped 67pc to 2.5 tonnes as the Royal Mint extended its offering of gold and silver bullion to investors.

The Royal Mint has started selling 1kg gold bars for £25,000. The bars are about the same size as an iPhone
    Mr Hewitt said the financial crisis had changed the risk appetite among investors, especially in advanced economies.
    "The world's changed since 2008, especially attitudes towards financial markets," he said.
    "A lot of retail investors now want to own something tangible, something real, something which they understand, and gold is something that taps into these strong emotions, which is why we've seen such strong demand in Europe."
    The council said Russia continued to "lead the pack" in terms of central bank purchases.
    Mr Hewitt said strong demand was "entrenched" and was likely to continue in the coming months, even as the council cautioned that overall demand was likely to be weaker in the final three months of the year.
    "Festival and wedding purchases were brought forward to take advantage of the price dip. Therefore demand towards the end of the year is likely to be correspondingly affected," it said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...nic-sparks-bullion-buying-spree-in-China.html

12. Annie

Annie Silver Member Silver Miner

Full time scooter trash.
    Silver in the 13s, .29 cent premiums. Why am I the only one doing the silver happy dance?

gringott likes this.
  13. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I'm dancing too.

:elefant:

14. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

We can dance if we want to
    We can leave your friends behind
    Cause your friends don't dance
    And if they don't dance
    Well they're no friends of mine

15. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Buy Mortimer, buy!!

16. Stella Seal

Stella Seal New Member

Dollar is getting stronger, Gold is getting weaker.

gold price 2015  Goldrepublic.jpg

17. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

Up is down, down is up. The world on the brink of WWIII, the U.S. is $20T in debt++, and PMs are dropping. Whodathunkit? I should maybe think about buying some, but I'm too progressive to do something so barbaric....

18. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    The $13.80's temporary support for silver seems to be holding for now. $13.84 is the intra-day low for silver (so far). $1051.60 is the intra-day low for gold for 2015 , however, with gold continuing to go down, then silver will end up breaking the $13.80's range support and head toward the $12 handle by the end of this year.

REO 54 likes this.
  19. REO 54

Well S A, were below 13.80. Christmas sale has begun. Thanks is Old Yeller!

Silver Art likes this.
  20. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Yep. It is clear (clear to me anyway) that silver is still in a strong downtrend and will be for sometime given the fact that it cannot sustain any upmoves. I now suspect that we will see the $12-handle on the DOG very soon going into 2016 imo. The 13.80's level could be a resistance level but not as strong a resistance level like the $16 level. I do not see silver challenging the 16 level for a long while and my $8 silver on or by March 2017 gut feeling prediction is still as strong as ever.

The only good news for me is that I am getting close to obtaining enough free bitcoin from the bitcoin faucets to get another oz of "free" physical silver. I also plan to possibly get a 70's silver art bar or two from a lcs if they have any. Gotta feed the '70's silver art bar addiction regardless of where spot silver is currently at.

REO 54 likes this.
  21. d-lod

d-lod dawn Silver Miner

managing NON PROFIT ORG
    a buying spree time for bystanders, my last silver buy was just 32% APPRITIATED IN 7 MONTHS

REO 54 likes this.