1. Stocks take a break, metals up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tuesday Morning! We have Gold up 5.4 to 1251 while Silver is up 7 to 16.64. Crude is also up 44 to 43.82. The USD is down 52 to 96.59
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Commemorative Coins / Eric Jordan

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by 321AU, Aug 27, 2010.

1. lightcycler

lightcycler Silver Member Silver Miner

FYI. I ordered two 2008 W $5 Burnished GAE's off of amazon.com for $319 shipped. Will let you know what they look like when I recieve them. Kind of a crap shoot but I feel like I can go back to Amazon if they are not up to snuff.

The dealer info is
    Delaware
    Feedback Count (Lifetime) Positive Neutral Negative
    3464 97% 1% 2%

2. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

They didn't happen to have the 2008W $10 burnished AGE did they?

3. lightcycler

Not that I remember. Seems like they were very expensive. The $5 is all I saw that was a good price

4. angryhippy

angryhippy Seeker Seeker

Just picked this up today. I read through the amazon preview and I had to go buy it. Was happy the local book store had it on the shelf. Cant wait to dig into it some more. This book is going to have me spending some FRNs and it will cause me to get into some new coins too.

5. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

It depends whom you trust. I frankly have never met a banker one could trust. They are lower than attorneys. The Patriot Act even allows seizure of any safe deposit box, why?

When you figure it out you will come to a common sense conclusion that if you can't hold it in say a few minutes you really don't own it and sadly somebody else has the custody of it.

Trusting a banker or Broker is like trusting Berrie Maddoff with your life's savings, or Enron to trade your precious metals. Jordan is selling something too. Always read with the person writing
    might have a bias to self-serve. dismiss that part and move on... nothing to see there in IRAs & 501s.

6. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

Apmex as part of their IRS sale has several of the '08-w $10 now for $1095 which I believe is below current greysheet bid.

321AU likes this.
  7. silverblood

silverblood Gold Member Gold Chaser

And what is that, exactly? One of the first spouse coins?

8. hernancortes

Sorry that is the '08-w unc. gold eagle that jogslvr asked about. It's the known-mintage key to the entire series. Poke around their site and they have some pretty good deals on some coins referenced in Jordan's book. '07-w unc silver eagles at $5 over spot, a ICG MS70 '07-w unc $25 and $10 gold eagles well under greysheet bid. edit -- I picked up the $10.

silverblood likes this.
  9. S.McDuck

S.McDuck Banned

I ordered the modern commemorative book by Jordan yesterday.

thanks Forum, and history student!

HistoryStudent likes this.
  10. lightcycler

Picked up 3 off of APMEX today. 1@$995 w/o box and Coa and 2 with for $1095 ea. I'll send the best one in for grading. Hoping I can pick the best one at this point. Need to get some learnin' in the grading area :)

11. angryhippy

angryhippy Seeker Seeker

Fantastic book, I wished I bought it sooner. It gave me a lot to think about and it has inspired me to collect things I haven't considered in the past. I've been loading up on the W ASE's but now its time to start grabbing the $5 W Gold Eagles and a few of the $10 MS Buffalos.

12. lightcycler

Agree. Good thing about loading up on the 2008 W sae's is I did find 4 of the errors. Essentlally have 0 dollars invested in 100 of those buggers :) 4 out of 100 isn't that many though when I see the estimates of more like 10% were minted with the 2007 reverse. I need to drag out my 08's and look through them again. Gotta be a couple more in there! :)

13. jogslvr

Damn it, I paid 1260 for one yesterday. Feel real toopid as hell rat 'bout now.

14. lightcycler

You won't care a few years from now. Just be glad you can buy!

15. lightcycler

These came in and look awesome! Everything in mint condition.

16. NotTheOne

NotTheOne Seeker Seeker

Just adding my name to the active readers list. Interesting book.

17. hernancortes

Latest greysheet has lots of key & semi-key moderns moving back into positive territory and dealers are clearly catching on with the liberty spouses... Jackson and VB unc and PR over $1000 ea. , $25 age unc. are hot with the '91 at $2125, the '06-w and '07-w at $1600, & these are all bid prices.

18. jogslvr

06-w and 07-w, which coin denomination?

19. hernancortes

The $25 1/2 oz. gold eagle

jogslvr likes this.
  20. hernancortes

Of all the coins detailed in this book, one series is still flying below the radar and that is the platinum eagles. If you have a long time horizon they are worth a look at today's prices -- greysheet pays them no mind and that's to our advantage now---if you can locate the good ones, not an easy task since they are the lowest mintage coins of the last 100 years. Who knows, the recent discovery of a new variety of the '07-W PR plat may breath new life into the series?

21. HistoryStudent

They are really expensive. However, that said if you are smart... who knows....

Too bad it wasn't the REVERSE proof... too bad....

Platinum is flying now at $1800 plus for spot....

This is absolutely the best book I ever read for getting a handle on NUMBERS minted in your head...

Do that and mommy won't be drowning you as one of the dumb ones....

Like a BRAINIAC once said, "the SPOUSE coins starting in 2011 will start at $1000 or more from now on..." (that's HC if you haven't figured it out!)

22. NotTheOne

NotTheOne Seeker Seeker

:eek: :bear_laugh:

This is an expensive book to read. It's already cost me a few $$. Then again, there are a few less key dates available on the market for everyone else now. ;)

newmisty likes this.
  23. jogslvr

I ordered the new Army Commemorative Dollar UNC the first day made available. Today, I got another email about shipping delay. That makes two within 2 weeks. Anyone else getting these emails? they keep pushing shipping dates further and further back, yet they've already put the next one up for sale (Medal of Honor).

I'm beginning to think we may have another key date in the making in the UNC's, not many willing to pay over $50 bucks for a 90% coin. Also noticed that they decided not to offer the half dollar with the Medal of Honor but do with the ARMY. Even though the ARMY UNC half is clad, it may be worth a chance.

The gold $5 Unc is also looking very good. Can anyone find mint sales figures later than Feb 8th?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  24. HistoryStudent

25. hernancortes

According to the product schedule, the mint thas the 2011 $50 W-unc. gold eagle debuting on 5/5. I do wonder why they are bothering w/ these since before they stopped making them the sales trends were down over the 3 years they were made. I do not see a large demand for a coin which will (prediction) carry at least a $150 premium over spot out of the gate, so well over $1600 for what is marketed as 'burnished' but the finish is visually identical to the bus. strike, and the presence of a W mintmark and a rather cheap box. Demand dillution is a real factor with 4 other 1 oz gold coins the mint offers. The number to beat is the 11.9k mintage of the '08-w, and 10k of the '06 rev. PR but also bear in mind there is no 4-coin set of these to further drive mintage. A new key in the series is do-able, but we'll have to wait a long time to find out.

26. HistoryStudent

The MINT is acting like 1936 again with DILUTION of COLLECTOR DEMAND = page 46 Jordan's book.

Only in gold not silver this time.

I would not buy a coin with more then 10,000 mintage now. No reason so much more that is less then even 4,000 - for GOODNESS SAKES.

The COMMEMORATIVES have always struggled except for a FEW keys like the $10 LIBRARY of CONGESS 50-50 gold Pt.

The NEXT EIGHT 4 MS & 4 PF spouses will be really low in production mintage - IMVHO.

PG 46 again - Jordan's book:

1 expensive 2 diluted 3 ugly 4 cut short due demand - almost the perfect storm for a RARE set of coins for this year.

If you collect the whole set you'll have a really rare couple of sets in MS & PF - IMVHO that is, of course.

DYODD for heavens sake - please.

No matter what each one is a HALF OUNCE PURE AU and the powers to print AIN'T acting like they have have any brains, right?

google M1 M2 M3 and go there to see what IDIOTS do to remove 50% per year of wealth. (hedge)

"Brick by Brick my citizens" - Roman Emperor Hadrian per Shakespeare.

hernancortes likes this.
  27. hernancortes

Edit, According to the mint's pricing grid assuming a gold spot of 1450-1500, the 2011 $50 unc-w will debut at a whopping $1728 and will move up or down $50 corresponding to a $50 change in the weekly london fix. No rush to get in on this one but lets watch paint dry and follow the weekly sales report.

28. HistoryStudent

If you might want it it is always better to BUY quickly.

Remember the UHRs - from around a grand to $1500 in a year.

29. lightcycler

Jordan believes the prodction will be > 4,000 ms on these issues. Does not think an early sell out will occur going forward. Will the price and lack of interest result in low sales? Possible.

Here is the quote
    "Correct. No early sell out.....the 2010 dated coins were the early sell out issues. That behavior came and went. I expect there to be over 4,000 struck of everything dated 2011. As you said the question now becomes if gold goes crazy and the price on the 2011 dated isses with it will their be enough demand to pull the coins to 4,000 + final mintages. I dont know what is going to happen with gold so I cant predict market demand. I can say that if gold does not move much this year then the 2011 FS coins will likely sell into the 4,xxx range.

Eric "

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  30. 321AU

321AU Seeker Seeker

Thanks hernancortes. I'll probably buy a couple of these if I can stop buying silver bullion. I've been almost completely out of the numi loop because of my focus on silver and thankfully so as I've been able capitalize on this run from below $20. I'm still hanging on to my numi stuff and have streamlined it to almost all prime keys. Good to see you and HS are still taking care of things over here :D

31. HistoryStudent

Jordan mentions on pages 46-47

NOT SAVED FROM CIRCULATION the regular type coins.

I would add a subsection just for the SPOUSES:

Not collected for the future. Many MS Spouses from 2008 onward to now - have been just purchased by collectors. They are the only women on US coins except for
    GODDESS type rendition since the late 1790s.

The ATTRACTIVE ones should really be LOOKED at for investment:

I.E. = the younger ONES!

32. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...Oh wait, we're talking about first spouses, I forgot. Here are my votes for ugliest coins of the century.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

33. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Flame suit on, if they can cook, keep your house happy, and you smiling, they aint so ugly.:36_2_36:

34. HistoryStudent

We'll see $1521 really quick in gold: then a hesitation, then by Summer really quick $1,600 and soon thereafter $1,650.

These are all spot so add a great amount for the MINT PREMIUMS!

$1681 $1764 $1849 to follow maybe at the end of the YEAR.

35. npd1078

npd1078 Seeker

Hs-
    Looks like your prediction is right on schedule! We have just 4 more days until the next Spouse is released. Looks like there going to cost $919 and $929 from the mint....

36. HistoryStudent

The silver is really being hit now which will effectively allow gold to rise: this stuff has been happening since 1490s and SPAIN trying to control silver to their advantage.

It might hit $30 but will then EXPLODE past $50 to a world high shortly.

Play silver PHYSICALLY real long.

Play gold PHILOSOPHICALLY and physically really long. (these spouses are a good way to do that too)

QE 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 are all coming and they will ruin the dollar's buying power.

37. HistoryStudent

COUPLE of years ago I had a well known gentlemen send his NUMISMATIC NEWSLETTER for the year. It was very good but he missed the BIG PLAYS in MODERN GOLD and SILVER coins. He was more into CLASSIC gold
    (read pre-1850) then anything modern. He was also into old commemoratives (pre-1982) then the new ones. He was old-fashioned and missed a huge market of new low mintage coins.

Eric Jordan did not in his book - so it was worth ten times the newsletter which was way more expensive. It seems that the MODERN collectables are becoming the wave of the future especially with so many
    being minted this last ten years and the entire future.

READ the book.

RESEARCH closely anything that has LOW mintage - now coming out and the recent past. Buying a set of spouses for example is like buying a set of PROOF Saint Gaudens right from the mint when they came out 1907 to 1915. The five ounce huge coins are also less mintage then the most expensive silver eagle with a huge $3,000 price in 69 grade.

38. hernancortes

Indeed, the great coins that came out early in the 20th century were once considered 'moderns'. 1916 was a fantastic year for contemporary collectors of moderns and 2008 will prove to be as well. 2011 is not going to be too shabby either with all the dillution going on. Wish I had more dry powder, looking seriously at re-ordering some of my collection.

39. HistoryStudent

Read the FOREWARD & INTRODUCTIONAL pages again in the book.

The BIGGEST mistakes they made were NOT the BUYING of the KEY coins - but the additional (sorry!) NOT buying many of the DUPLICATES
    of the key coins. Also picking a set that costs a fortune (read my spouses they are getting around a GRAND quickly!)
    to complete.

IMVHO the huge silver hockey PUCKS will be really be something -

check out the US Mint for Yosemite abd http://www.moderncoinmart.com for the slabs.

PCGS are a lot smaller slabs then the dinner plates at NGC.

Chose your grade.

I can see silver at around $200 with the ACTUAL Federal liabilities now at over $100 TRILLION! EASY as taking candy from a baby.

[​IMG]

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...1&ndsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&biw=1672&bih=872

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    Oldmansmith likes this.
  40. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

How can buying duplicates of keys be a mistake? Unless you're chasing a coin that's already ascended to lofty levels (eg. it wouldn't make sense to buy a half dozen MS Julia Tyler coins right now IMO), being lucky enough to multiples of a key at the original price (or close to it) sounds like a winner to me. If it would take too long to explain what they meant by that in the book then don't worry about replying HS. I just ordered the book a moment ago finally :) . Considering this book is less than $10 shipped, shame on me for waiting so long to pick it up.