1. kenyan care remains, no vote. Libtards and msm declare massive victory.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

Modern Commemorative Coins / Eric Jordan

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by 321AU, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

Why would one not just as soon buy the 2011 Eliza Johnson or Lucy Hayes? Johnson's numbers are looking good due to higher gold prices.

2. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Packaging doesn't matter one iota. Buy the coin, not the holder or packaging and you'll do well over the long haul. If I had a choice between a commen with packaging or the same coin for 1 or 2% less w/o packaging I'd take the latter every time.

Most people mail coins to be graded in air-tites or flips. The graders don't give a hoot about the packaging so don't send it.

I was reading parts of it today for the second time myself :D.

3. Solo

Great point! Honestly I was assuming he was mainly interested in prior releases, but I should have suggested those two as they're looking pretty good right now. Considering how ugly the next few are I think we may see another sub-3000 coin shortly. As such, I've already placed my pre-order with MCM for the MS Hayes ;).

4. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

They shipped my NGC 70s on HAYES today.

I might also pick up the PCGS ones too.

These spouses are louses and they are diving in mintage now.

Johnson is almost a sure bag winner for LOW BALL mintage.

5. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

For where the 25th Ann. Silver Eagle sets are going in price, JUST READ THE COTTON-PICKIN' BOOK:cool:

Solo likes this.
  6. Solo

I wonder if 321Au (the poster who started this thread) bought multiples of the 25th sets? Either he's out of the hobby, or he bought in force as Eric's book clearly showed the way ;):cool:

7. AgAuGal

AgAuGal Founding Member Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

what page? i've been reading the book but i have not found a page that discusses the 25th anniversary set unless we are to infer based on discussion of the entire silver eagle collection.

8. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

I believe he is talking about the whole book. It's designed to give you a glimpse into the future by examining the past and current price and number structure. Studying the book as opposed to reading it sheds light into the workings of the system we call numismatics.

HistoryStudent, WhyKnow and Solo like this.
  9. AgAuGal

got it, it is deffinitely a different way to look at collecting. interesting comments/observations

10. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

I'm far from being an expert and closer to knowing enough to get myself into trouble. I am trying to learn however and feel like I've just gotten a handle on beginning to understand how the "game" works. To me, that's what it is. Like anything these days, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Thus perception plays a major role. I just finished reading another poster saying they were only going to spend $600, but after reading the 25th anniversary thread, decided to spend $1500! What a great example of numismatics in action.

11. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Some of the information and knowledge from members here, is very valuable. I honestly wouldn't have bought those sets today, until I read the thread here. I only got in to PM's a few years ago, and have only really bought bullion. Before buying these, the only Numis stuff I had bought were the ATB's raw and "P".
    I've decided to stop buying the "P" ATB's but will continue with the raw coins. I was lucky enough to get 10 sets of today's coins, and will wait and see what some some of the more experienced posters suggest. I'm thinking of selling a few, getting a couple graded and keeping the rest.

HistoryStudent likes this.
  12. HistoryStudent

Gold is where the action really is.

Platinum perhaps too.

Imagine having a dozen PROOF LIKE UHRs in the stable.

All First strikes and Early Releases!

Or two sets of the SPOUSES?

Eric Jordan mentioned those in 2008.

13. latemetal

latemetal Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

I added this book to my collection, interesting.:bandito:

14. hernancortes

Among mint state ASE's the vast, vast majority have no mint mark and look almost the same. The finish of the coins was changed -- subtlely -- to burnished sometime in the early 2000's and there were the tiny changes to the reverse in '08.

In the very near future the pop. of this type coin will be 300 million and growing rapidly, with far less than 1% having a mint mark. Among those having a mint mark the W's will outnumber the S's by 20 times, a factor to likely grow unless the mint wants to sell S's singly --- even if they do, the W's already have a headstart on the S's in the mintage numbers.

I firmly believe down the road the S will be 2nd only to the '95-W.

HistoryStudent and WhyKnow like this.
  15. HistoryStudent

Very ASTUTE - smart - wisdom - and common sense.

~ HS

Way to go HC

16. Solo

I'm not sure if I said it here or on another forum, but I believe the S coin in this set will be worth at 50% more than the reverse proof in this set down the road. Both coins are sure things, but that S coin is truly special. Obviously I don't know what collectors are going to prefer in a few years or what the mint will do, but as it stands now it looks like the S coin could be a monster down the road.

I guess at this point I need to start worrying about what I'm going to buy all my 'helpers' on the 25th sets for Christmas. I gave them all $100 ahead of time, but clearly they deserve just a bit more ;).

hernancortes likes this.
  17. AgAuGal

maybe you guys can help clear up some confusion. A collector said they bought a graded/labeled ASE w/ 'S' on the label but no 'S' on th coin. How can thee graders know the Unc ASE thy graded is from the San Francisco mint if they do not have the 'S' mint mark on the back? If the SF Mint is making ASE's w/o the 'S' mint mark then that makes th 25th 'S' mark coin that much more valuable. Anyone know for sure what is going on realted to the ASE coins being produced at the SF Mint? Are they being created w/ the 'S' or not?

18. lightcycler

lightcycler Silver Member Silver Miner

TPG game to make more money. Dealers sent monster boxes of bullion ASE's in and were graded and labeled as from San Fran. No mint mark of course. Don't think this should have any impact on the S mint mark unc ase version in the set which is already the co-star of the show.

AgAuGal likes this.
  19. AgAuGal

Mr Jordan,

I think I found a print error in your book you may want to let the publisher know, if it isnt then I need an explanation cause it is very confusing if not a printing errror.

pg 121

Mint State Commemorative Dollars

First column heading says 'Proof', seems to me it should say Year/Type because these are minst state coins. If the column heading 'Proof' is correct then I dont understand what is means as it relates to the Mint state coins.

20. hernancortes

Unfortunately the book is riddled with misprints large and small and Jordan is aware of them but they were beyond his control. He mentioned shorty after the book was 1st published in summer of '10 that in the next edition (if there is the demand for one), those errors will be corrected.

AgAuGal likes this.
  21. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

nine copies available at ebay: $7.70 with free shipping

item number 300616277191

of course i paid $2 more at amazon earlier tonight :wub:

i'm not too bright

edit - here's an even better price: 280754464424

Solo likes this.
  22. AgAuGal

I bought it fr Amazon also so dont feel alone. I love the pics of the commems in the back.

23. Milanion

Milanion Seeker Seeker

Thanks, I finally pulled the trigger on buying the book from the second one.

Solo likes this.
  24. Solo

Meh don't sweat it. Anyone who buys this book is brighter than most (in my biased opinion of course ;)). I just wish I would have read this book sooner, or at the very least I wish I would have started looking at modern commen's outside of the spouses sooner. One of the benefits of the book is that it makes coin shows infinitely more fun. Four out of five dealers view all commens (other than '96 Olympic MS coins) and modern bullion as melt coins. I've pulled burnished gold and silver eagles out of stacks of eagles for the same price as regular eagles and have been hunting for the elusive 99-W at every show to no avail. One dealer even asked what I was looking for so when I said, "burnished or 99-W's" he said, "no one wants burnished gold...and what are the 99-W's?" :eek: I still haven't found a 99-W, but hopefully that's next year's big find :cool:.

The main thesis of the book, IMO, is that instead of buying basic bullion do just a bit of research, learn to read the mint reports every week, and pay attention to mintages and you can build a collection with serious long term upside potential today for essentially the same price as stacking random date bullion. Just as former collectors shunned the mint's commen's during their day, today's commen's will become classics one day too. Those of us lucky enough to be young still would be foolish not to jump on the opportunity. The only downfall to this type of stacking is that it requires a bit of patience. Sometimes modern coins spike in value quickly, but most of these are going to take years to develop.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
    EO 11110 likes this.
  25. user244075

user244075 Seeker Seeker

WhyKnow likes this.
  26. HistoryStudent

WELL SAID!

Frankly, extremely LOW MINTAGE is one of the best KEYS to the KEY(S).

Spouses next year will be really low IF the price of gold rises over $2,000 and staying there - of course.

Like HC I wonder if the US MINT will sell 2011 "S" ASE separately on their site.

Then they will also hit 500,000.

Like I said at the beginning - WELL SAID CPTH.

Solo likes this.
  27. hernancortes

When all is said and done with the 2011 unc-w ASE's perhaps the mint will re-evaluate whether they will continue the series. Sales have been trending lower sicne 07 and they are not as popular as the Proofs despite being cheaper. Sales for the 2011-w's have not started well because they're not a great value over the bullion counterpart. If we are to estimate mintage based on Jordan's formula for predicting final mintage the 2011-w's will likely come in under the 06-w. The mint can sell these well into next year but as always it's a question of how many they initially struck.

As for the unc-S I only mentioned the 'single striking' possibility to temper wild enthusiasm for the coin's long term possibilities, but with it being November it seems extremely remote any more 2011-S's will be offered. They could debut 2012-S for next year and if they do it would be bad, but based on the performance of the unc-w's this seems unlikely.

HistoryStudent likes this.
  28. Solo

For those of you who are too cheap to even spend $8 for this book shipped (shame on you btw :p), than check out this link:

http://www.coinresource.com/docs/Case%20for%20Moderns.pdf

It looks like Eric put together a paper containing select charts and passages from his book. Still, the book is well worth the price so EVERYONE on GIM should buy it.

EO 11110 and CM Punk like this.
  29. oninismo

oninismo Seeker Seeker

30. HistoryStudent

Those who have the book take a gentle nudge by me and read it all again.

On my 6th read and still see things that will make ME a better collector.

Years ago I started buying my $1,000 (bill) gold saints when they were $400 each.
    Now they are flat at over $2,000 to $5,000 grand each so I ain't crying but he
    really helped explain why.

Eric "yous got some S'plaining to do!" (Peanuts comics)

SO I finally got it.

Bottom line is find some COLD "ARSE" SUNDAY (like today) and curl up on the couch with a yellow HIGHLIGHTER marking
    KEY text ideas so next time you read it it will make you an extra $100,000.00 easy! The next ten years.

31. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

Bought a few $600 liberty double eagles, but mostly rolls of BU Franklins way back when.
    Been buying Unc. ATB pucks. Is that a good idea?
    Just ordered the book, for the price of a pack of cigarettes.

32. HistoryStudent

Rather well thought out "possible" version - well said.

The only wild card is all the complaining ones (guess WHO, right?) calling the MINT F.U.B.A.R.
    on the 100K 25th Ann. Set - and their perhaps liberal response.

Like they did to the 5 oz. pucks authorized dealers. They may do something drastic or different then the
    SOFP standard operating :biggrin: FUBAR 100K set procedure.

33. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Gold Member Gold Chaser

34. Solo

Because that coin didn't go on sale until the very late last year. The mint's policies are confusing to be sure, but in the case of the FS coins they will sell them until either they're sold out or until they've been available for roughly one year.

35. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

They haven't turned the sets over to you yet, Muhuhahaha!!!

36. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    Not sure that the "S" will be all that special versus the reverse proof. Hell, it is a bullion coin with a small, hard to find "S" on it. I hope you are right as I will keep the reverse proof and sell the "special" S coin to pay for it.

I don't get very excited about mintmarks, but maybe that is just me.

37. pay dirt

pay dirt Gold Member Gold Chaser

The S from the 2011 mint set or the S proofs from 86 to 92?

38. user244075

user244075 Seeker Seeker

39. hernancortes

The uncirc.-S silver eagle from the 25th Ann. set.

pay dirt likes this.
  40. HistoryStudent

Go here:

http://www.whitmanbooks.com/

see what books interest you.

I have several RED coin covered books for reference:
    Double Eagles
    Silver Morgan Dollars
    Commemoratives USA

etcetera.

Then search AMAZON versus EBAY for the latest version(s) for the best price(s).

I love the history per year in the MORGAN book.

user244075 likes this.