1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Commemorative Coins / Eric Jordan

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by 321AU, Aug 27, 2010.

1. 321AU

321AU Seeker Seeker

I got an order in for 3 but it still says in process and has a ship date of 11/23. Hope it goes through. I was working and couldn't get through on my smart (dumb) phone, had to wait until I got to a PC.

I'm not out of the hobby, and haven't sold my collection, just been concentrating on stacking large amounts of AG. Ag is going to the moon soon I tell you :565:

I want a couple/few 2011 Unc AGEs too. :smile:

Lead and freeze dried food may end up being a better value than PMs the way things are going. :banghead:

Solo likes this.
  2. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

3. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

latest greysheet has a few notable bids: spot gold basis $1798
    UHR raw in mint pkg'g. - $3050
    $25 unc. gold eagles:
    '88 - $1325
    '89 - $1375
    '90 - $1700
    '91 - $2275
    '92 - $1050
    '95 - $1100
    '96 - $1150
    '01 - $1050
    '07 - $985

namwalker and HistoryStudent like this.
  4. HistoryStudent

Good stuff HC.

Hold the phone - with the new Italian PM

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/mario-monti-italys-new-prime-minister

and JPM & GS taking over the world I'd really go long longer and longest on GOLD and SILVER =

Because "of the bankers, by the bankers, and for the bankers." Is the new constitution.

5. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Gold Member Gold Chaser

Anybody know when the next low-pop SAE will hit the streets?

6. TheMadHatter

Got the book yesterday and have read most of it. The most astounding part of the book to me was his grading experiment. He just kept cracking the 69's and in the end had majority 70's. I've thought about cracking out single coins like the 95-w, but with a whole bunch of coins... Never even occurred to me.

namwalker and Solo like this.
  7. HistoryStudent

The SECOND BEST BOOK I've just recently re-read was:

Guide to investing in gold and silver - by Michael Maloney 2008

Study the history because it appears that BHO is going to pull a FDR JUST on the dollar for that was what really happened
    when gold was US money in 1933 FDR just about halved the buying power of the US dollar from $20 and ounce to $35
    thereby ripping off the Americans by 75% - (can you see JUST a simple Ben & Barry do-over? So Study history or you're doomed to get screwed by it).

Here's Willie on it with Chapman:

◄$$$ THE NEW USDOLLAR IS BEING PLANNED. INFORMATION HAS BEEN SHARED WITH LARGE AND MIDSIZED US-BANKS. ITS LAUNCH IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR IN 12 TO 18 MONTHS. EXPECT A LARGE DEVALUATION AND VANISH OF MUCH WEALTH. THE OLD (CURRENT) USDOLLAR WILL NO LONGER SERVE AS GLOBAL RESERVE CURRENCY, NOR THE STANDARD FOR GLOBAL TRADE SETTLEMENT. BOB CHAPMAN REPORTS A NEW USDOLLAR IS UNDERWAY. $$$

Bob Chapman has reported some potentially important news. Whether its timetable is soon or distant, nobody knows since the path traveled is an event driven scenario. He broke the story three weeks ago. He claims to have received the information directly from people at the top of the banking profession, but from the leading mid-sized banks. He does not have a line of information from the top major banks. These mid-sized executive bankers attend meetings directed by the USFed and they pass details to Chapman. He reports, "The big US banks are being told to clear safe secure storage, because they are getting ready to print a new currency. It is not the Amero. It is a new Dollar, probably different from what you have already. It is underway. It may not be in the printing stage yet, but the plans are there. The USFed is expecting, as is the USDept Treasury, that the USDollar is not going to be the reserve currency of the world in about a year and a half, maybe less." The report is not specific, but the blueprint is clear that a response is planned for the death or rejection of the USDollar. See the Chapman weblog (CLICK HERE).

The Jackass reaction follows. Plans are being shared with mid-sized US banks, since they are subservient. They talk to mere mortals like Chapman since they too are mortals, ranking minions in the banking industry. A new USDollar is due to launch in 12 to 18 months, the American response to crisis. A very big devaluation comes in my opinion, complete with nasty price inflation in the domestic USEconomy. Built in will be considerable debt writedowns, perhaps directly applied, probably forceably to the foreign creditors with enormous resentment. Tremendous complications are involved, since the USDollar is used in global contracts and commerce, like trade settlement. The end of the USDollar is near. The beginning of the Third World Dollar is fast approaching. Its birth will be the final cold water in the face of Americans, all too sleepy for years, as they will awaken in horror. They will see their pensions, life savings, and more perhaps cut in half. Ramifications and impact will be broad, as a ticket to Third World will be issued and used without a choice. The initial devaluation might be 30% to 35%, but more loss is assured after time passes. My forecast is for a follow-up devaluation of another 15% to 20% after a period of time, like six to nine months. The deficits are too great, for both trade and the government budget. The hemorrhage will deal crippling blows to the new USDollar, which will not be supported by the printing press any longer. If in effect, the new USD will not be readily accepted for trade, since it will be toxic, a true reflection of the horrendous fundamentals for the USEconomy and USGovt. If in effect, financing the USGovt debt will not be easy, since the printing press will be mothballed. The domestic US interest rates will rise past 10% quickly, matching the true rate of price inflation. The price of food will double quickly, gasoline too, and all utilities. The reckoning will result in total 50% USD devaluation down the road 2 or 3 years.

The overall impact from birth of a new USDollar is its ticket to the Third World, a tourniquet on the US national neck. Some caution must be given concerning Bob Chapman. He is bold and intrepid, but half of his shocking calls have been nothing more than hot wind that passed to the desert hills. For three years, he has been warning of bank shutdowns and bank holidays. The Jackass has expected them eventually, but Chapman gave at least three such wrong calls. He has been alarmist at times, but his calls are surely contingency plans in the shadowy conference rooms where the elite meet and the security agencies map out logistics. At times Chapman seems to lack some comprehension of practical implications. But he does have some deep sources. The best approach for this information is to plan on it in the future, but that door might not open for some time. The timetable will be dictated by events, which are unquestionably turning more toward chaos and disorder.

earplugs likes this.
  8. HistoryStudent

For the ones that want to be ON top of the:

1- Human Nature never changes
    2- Study the history
    3- Oil runs the world
    4- Gold and Silver are the only real money rest are current currencies going down
    5- fundamentals will rule out in the end

Here's ONE that you should print and read maybe ten times:

http://www.jsmineset.com/2011/11/14...osium-14-15-november-2011-by-alf-field/print/

Read the articles at gold-eagle he also mentioned.

9. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

No, but you should continue to watch the 2011-W 'burnished' or 'uncirculated' coin as it looks like there's a strong possibility it will end up with the lowest mintage for the W coins yet. Just to be clear though, none of the W coins sell for much of a premium right now so this is a long term play (5 to 50 years :p). No one knows if we'll ever get another home run like the 25th sets, but given the fall-out and he77 the mint has received over these I would expect their next special set (probably the 30th) to have a mintage of 250K or possibly even higher.

TheMadHatter and RoadKing like this.
  10. lightcycler

lightcycler Silver Member Silver Miner

I can't seem to find mintages for modern gold commems. Is the army uncirc looking like a good one?

11. Solo

You can find that information for coins currently offered by the mint via http://coinupdate.com/. They publish the mint totals every week. Here is the link for the latest. Most other commen's I simply refer to Eric's book as it has them all there, or I simply google the coin in question. I'm sure there are sites out there dedicated to modern commen's but I haven't really looked for them.

:shine:

12. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

13. lightcycler

I went a pulled out eric's book. Interesting to me is even the key in the $5 gold proof isn't bringing a premium, the 1996 Smithsonian at 21,840. The army and MOH are both set to supplant this coin as the keys for the gold commem proofs. Based on past history probably won't matter much. For the uncircs Jackie is the ky at 5,174, so these won't be keys but worth looking at for sure.

14. HistoryStudent

Frankly when I was buying COMMEMORATIVES in gold I was L@@KING more for a 1/4 OUNCE of gold cheap, shiny, and slabbed around

$300 each at the time.

AUTHORIZED & GUARANTEED
    CHEAP
    SHINY
    SLABBED
    1/4 OUNCE gold so when GOLD hits around five grand they'll be worth around $1,500 each ~ :hahaha: HS quote me for later...

some things never change too much - for McKays (1850s book) "The MADNESS OF CROWDS" (read collectors) has KINDA avoided them like the
    BLACK PLAGUE = Jordan mentions = for there are just TOO many and none really match in sub-groups too well.

15. TheMadHatter

With the recent smackdown anybody zeroing in on some lowpops? :)

16. hernancortes

The 25th Ann. Sets and the set-specific coins just debuted on latest Greysheet:
    Bid prices:
    Set: 660
    RP: 300
    S unc: 250

HistoryStudent likes this.
  17. HistoryStudent

The Prices seem to be slowing down to a BOTTOM perhaps in a while.

I just started to get the GREYSHEET.

18. Solo

I'm not playing the pcgs registry game, although admittedly if I had loads of cash I would start speculating on certain FS70 coins w/ low pops :p, but I am paying attention to a number of mint offerings. Between the mint products, sinking prices on the 25th sets, and the ATB's continued march towards melt regardless of slab or label it's safe to say I'll stay broke for the foreseeable future :s13:. I used to be addicted to snagging Au/Ag on eBay for melt or sometimes much less than melt, but I haven't searched eBay since the 25th sets went on sale. Funny how stacking/collecting habits can change in short order... Personally I think people with money to invest for a 10, 20, or even 30+ year timeline have a number of incredible choices (cited above) in front of them right now.

As for Eric's book, I received my 5th copy last night for free from MCM. I guess it wasn't really free since I spent thousands on more 25th sets, but I did chuckle when I pulled it out of the box.

:553:

newmisty likes this.
  19. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Yeah, I need to take a breather and stockpile the FRN's too. Those ATB's, 25th sets, and recent drop in metals(had to buy) have added up fast.

Gives more time for reading though!

Thanks for the tip for Maloney's book too HS. Going to get that one soon as well.

20. lightcycler

I wanted to pick up a monstor box of eagles but that idea is fading fast. There certainly is no lack of PM's to buy :)

21. Solo

Yep, that's why I stuck with the MS version of the MOH coin :). I would love to own a proof, but clearly the MS coin has a brighter future...

You ain't kidding :p!
    Mercanti 70 sets for $1195ea!

I just bought a set from the link above for $1244 delivered (I had to use a cc) even though I just opened my $1500 sets from MCM last night :s13:. I was pleased to find a free Jordan book as well as two custom 5 coin slab cases in my MCM package. Personally I like the actual OGP boxes for presentation, but the display boxes they included for free are generic so any group of five pcgs slabs will fit perfectly :D.

lightcycler and newmisty like this.
  22. HistoryStudent

The registry game = proof, credentials, and protection as a REAL collector.

When they come to your place.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  23. hernancortes

Jordan will be at the FUN show in FL coming up, at the Modern Coin Mart table. I can't make it though.

24. namwalker

namwalker Seeker Seeker

Where and when is this show going to be held?

25. Solo

26. HistoryStudent

Fun to meet him.

1-He really showed me the MODERN coin opportunity versus the classics.

2- Not to mention the gold bullion price rises mixed with a bad economy.

3- Plus those MS & PF lists.

4- Plus all those rules in his book.

27. hernancortes

It looks like Jordan is writing some commentary for Modern Coin Mart's products, if you notice all the 25th Ann. Eagles, and certain gold Eagles like the 1999-w and other coins contain some useful information.

28. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

Hey hernan,

Where on the MCM website is the Jordan info to be found?

29. hernancortes

It's within the product descriptions.

jogslvr likes this.
  30. HistoryStudent

MCM is messing around with EBAY - and frankly it's a hell of a lot cheaper there
    with free shipping.

Frankly II

I AM also looking at SILVERTOWN now first MCM is kinda GOOSING the turkeys (you and me)
    for TOO much extra MONEY now....

~ HS

Make sure you mommies did not drown ALL the dumb ones... and forgot you...

:thumbs_up:

jogslvr and Milanion like this.
  31. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

jogslvr likes this.
  32. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    Be careful there.

If you're looking for ogp boxes, MCM has just opened OGPWorld on Ebay. On Ebay, the prices include shipping. But if you're only buying a few items, the prices are half the Ebay price on their website ogpworld.com. Shipping is not included, but you can ship quite a few items for only $12.

So if you're only buying 1-2 items, go Ebay. If you're buying more than 2 go to ogpworld.

33. hernancortes

34. pay dirt

pay dirt Gold Member Gold Chaser

The time to purchase "key dates" modern or classic is the next spike in metal prices. On the chart in the link that HC posted the key date prices are starting to trend down as the metal price is going up.

35. namwalker

namwalker Seeker Seeker

Just a quick question: If key dates are trending down now, wouldn't this be a good time to buy. We don't know when the next spike is coming (especially silver). However, I always thought that prices on key date items are usually more than the lesser dates and thus tend to hold their own whether precious metals go up or down. Thus a key date cost may decline but not as much as the lesser date.

So in a down market ket date prices may fall and thus be a bargain as compared to when prices rise.

Please help me out if my understanding is not correct.

36. Solo

Neat article, but to be fair Eric should have mentioned the fact that the absolute top end of legacy collecting has grown by leaps and bounds over the last 20 years. IIRC we've had two pennies sell for over a million dollars in just the last year alone. Then again I guess it makes sense to ignore part of the market that is only accessible to .01% of all hobbyists.

>>>However, I always thought that prices on key date items are usually more than the lesser dates and thus tend to hold their own whether precious metals go up or down. Thus a key date cost may decline but not as much as the lesser date.

When prices spike that's typically the better time to buy keys/semi-keys as the numismatic premium is compressed by rising prices. If you're going to buy pm's while they're on a run, it helps to have some downside protection. The folks who bought lunars last year when silver approached $50 are still above water on their purchase whereas folks who bought ASE's for spot plus X have a long way to go to break even.

Personally I think the best mentality when it comes to modern keys is to not chase them once they pass twice melt if you have limited funds. Just be patient and when you see the next key in the making quadruple down on it.

37. hernancortes

38. michael

michael New Member

39. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

I will be ordering. I did watch the youtube video from the MCM email link that I was sent. Most of the video was informative and made me want to go out and purchase. The last portion was disappointing. It unveils a new NGC label that will denote any coin in the book as a 'top 50' coin. That way collectors can try to complete a set and compete on the NGC registry. This strikes me as a bit overly contrived and self serving. You get a few people in a room who decide to write a book, pick some coins out, and basically attempt to try to create a modern coin set by dint of some labels and a registry set and, presto, you have just created a genre. Of course, if you happen to be part of a large company that buys and sells these coins to begin with you could conveniently stock pile a bunch of them before the book comes out, so that when the demand that you have created thanks to some smooth marketing comes to fruition, you just happen to have a ready supply at hand.

WhyKnow and hernancortes like this.
  40. Deweydog

Deweydog Seeker Seeker

Well said....sad truth is that with ZERO ATTRITION and modern packaging, the vast percentage of this "Modern Garbage" will end up in the melt bucket in a future metals run-up.....its all hype, the plastics industry is getting rich supplying material to the slabbers...ms 69, ms 70... "Registry"

NGC + PCGS laff as they cart your money to the bank.

WHO can honestly tell the difference when these mint spewed "collectables" are pumped out near flawless to begin with?

The mint throws you a bone once in awhile on a money making product (25th ann set, UHR) but overall, overtime, Most Modern Commems will be proven losers.

Irons likes this.