1. US Holiday, Markets Closed in US
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Monday Morning! Gold and Silver showing strength from overseas.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 1/7/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1173.40-- UP 21.70 Silver $16.52-- UP 54 Oil $53.99 -- UP 27 TICS USD $102.21 -- DOWN 7 Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1243.95 (1), SAE $19.53 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Modern Commemorative Coins / Eric Jordan

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by 321AU, Aug 27, 2010.

1. lightcycler

lightcycler Silver Member Silver Miner

Some of my long term holds are boxes of modern silver commems bought at close to spot. As the price of PM's goes up more and more of them will find the melt bucket. I believe there will come a time when they are rare. My kids will thank me someday :)

gringott likes this.
  2. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
  3. WhyKnow

WhyKnow Thnk Tank Gold Chaser

Similar scam in the medical field and maybe others: one gets a letter in the mail saying they "have been voted one of America's Top Doctors." The voting was done by "an independent group of peers." No outside influence was allowed through membership dues or other; the doctor was picked by merit only. To celebrate, the chosen individual may purchase one of a variety of plaques from a "separate" company for the low price of $150 or more. While it's a scam, others are swayed by it and prices/fees reflect that bogus claim.

4. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

I hear you about the slabbing thing, they are forever dreaming of novel ways to hype plastic. Jordan recommends buying good-looking 69's or raw coins and I've always done the same.
    The 2nd part of your post I would not be too concerned with as many of the coins in the top 50 list have been dispersed into collectors hands already and MCM cannot get enough of them in inventory to stockpile and promote. I can think of a few exceptions though.... UHR underwent a massive promotion in the last year and now cooling off.

5. hernancortes

Coins finding the melt bucket is by definition, attrition. Some series see massive attrition (silver $1 commems), others significant attrition (plat Eagles, early spouses, gold commems), and others virtually none (UHR, collector gold buffs). Collectors/speculators should be hoping for any event which thins the pop. that much more.

6. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

That is pretty funny - I have been getting those letters for years and promptly depositing them in the round file. They basically want you to pay them so they can tell you how special you are - now there is one hell of an investment!

7. savvydon

I hear ya... its no big deal. In fact it seems to me that Marc Salzberg, John Maben, and Eric Jordan are all pretty good at what they do, and the basic thrust of this thing is something that naturally appeals to the collecting side of me. I guess the transparency of the marketing momentarily gave me the creeps... i got that feeling best described by Woody Allen when he says he would never want to join a club that would have him as one of its members. :p

8. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

9. hernancortes

Star spangled Banner $5 unc gold has sold 3836 after 16 wks. of availability.
    In 2011, Army $5 unc. had sold 5896 and Medal of Honor $5 unc. 5430 at the same point.

Curio Bill, WhyKnow, Solo and 3 others like this.
  10. MrLucky

Gambling man
    I'm not a gold guy, but that's interesting. Are these limited to being sold in 2012 only?

11. ChoiceBU

ChoiceBU Silver Member Silver Miner

I have one of each coin - IMO, the silver design is better but the gold unc (potential) is a bonus. Wonder how many 2012 AGE W Unc sold today at $1828 with gold at $1555? I would not be surprised if it turns out to be lower mintage than 2011 the way Mint sales are going this year.

12. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

If gold EXPLODES with the QE to infinity for Mr. "O"s re-election I think you'll be right on!

We're talking about a few coins anyway.

However for you riverboat gamblers...

Do your research

BE right.

Take a huge position,

and sit damn tight.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  13. hernancortes

99% sure the answer to your question is yes.

WhyKnow likes this.
  14. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

It's been 6 weeks since the update above and the ssb unc has continued to decline in sales. This past week only 22 sold bringing the total to:

Uncirculated Gold 4,091 -- 22

I don't think the coin necessarily has a shot at the MS Jackie Robinson coin (though it's nice to dream about it), BUT it's really starting to look like it has a chance of being the number two or three modern gold commen. Just like the next spouse coins and 2012W age it all depends on how many they struck this year. There's just no way to know of course, but it seems like this coin should come in under the $1800ish 2001 Visitor center gold coin with a mintage of 6,761.

Unfortunately for me I can't buy a half dozen and sit on them, but for those of you who have plenty of money I would suggest that you keep a watch on this coin and be prepared to buy if we're still under 6,000 sold towards the end of the year. It really is the coin to watch at this point...

15. hernancortes

Inexplicable but Capitol Visitor's center actually has a higher CDN bid/ask than Jackie Robinson for the last year or so, $2600/$2750 vs. $2400/$2550

16. tesskansas

tesskansas Seeker Seeker

Re: Future rarity of modern commems...

Which book are you all referring to? Thanks.

17. HistoryStudent

Modern Commemorative Coins - Eric Jordan's book.

The second one top 50 coins gives you skills to find the NEXT top 50 as the FUBAR Mint
    opens their mouth to change feet.

18. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

It's interesting to note that prices have softened on the Army and Moh uncs. I've seen raw coins sell for less than the current mint offering (the Star Spangled Banner) lately. PCGS 70s still command a premium, but I would have been pi$$ed if I were the seller of this eBay Army NGC ER MS70 that probably netted the seller $525 after fees and shipping. I still think they will be great long term plays for those who bought last year based on melt, but with the lack of interest in the SSB coin I don't see demand picking up for the Army or MoH coin anytime soon. If you missed them last year it may be worth your while to start watching for them on eBay and set low snipes in case the auction(s) end way too low.

I just read the law regarding the SSB coin and I could not find any limitation when it came to selling the coin past 12/31/12. The law clearly states they are to be issued during the calendar year, but when it comes to selling the only restriction I could find is that they couldn't continue selling the SSB coin if it would mean more than two commen's were available at the same time. Therefore theoretically they could sell the SSB into 2013. I hope I'm wrong about that though as sales this past week were awful (which is what we want!):

Uncirculated Gold 4,269 ---- 21

Even if the SSB averages 40 coins a week for the last 17 weeks of the year that still puts it in exciting territory if the mint stops selling them on 12/31. That's probably a dream too good to come true though so unless you see the coin on the "Going soon" list that they put up at the end of the year I wouldn't fill-up your credit card on 12/31. Stay tuned...

:bear_thumb:

Oldmansmith, jogslvr and WhyKnow like this.
  19. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

I totally agree with your assessment of the SSB and in my mind is currently the safest speculative bet in the Mint's inventory. I would like to buy one already slabbed MS70 but the few I've seen are rather expensive. However, expensive is a relative term. I thought I paid to much for my MS69 1999w $10 AGE but it has appreciated greatly since my purchase in 2010.

I believe its safe to pull the trigger on the raw SSB at this time. Just look at the prices of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th keys in the $5 commems! :thumbs_up:

HistoryStudent likes this.
  20. hernancortes

Bust out the latest greysheet and be amazed: These are BULLION coins folks. At least they used to be!

$25 MS gold eagles (bid/ask) based on $1660.70 spot gold

1988 - $1435/$1500
    1989 - $1485/1550
    1990 - $1725/$1800
    1991 - $2450/$2575
    1992 - $1035/$1075
    1995 - $1150/$1215
    1996 - $1260/$1340
    2001 - $1050/$1090

also, the '86, '87, '93, '94, '98 '00, and '02 are bidding at least $100 over spot

southfork and savvydon like this.
  21. Miss Understood

Miss Understood New Member

Antique dealers
    I got Jordon's Top 50 book at the FUN Show for free and just ordered this book from Amazon. Sorry I missed his lecture at the FUN show but we were too busy looking at tables full of coins!

Having collected modern commems myself, accumulating most before gold crossed the $400 mark, I already figured out that the secret to increasing premiums was ugly coins and coins which were the less popular among a group of offerings within the same year. Sadly, a few of my coins that used to have a decent premium now have no premium at all thanks to subsequent issues having lower mintages. Oh well. At least they've gone up just from their gold value but it's still disappointing.

My belated revelation is that I should have skipped accumulating a complete set of commems and concentrated on the better dates. I would have been better off getting multiples of the better coins, especially the MS coins, which were often already so much higher than the PF versions that I passed on them. The best examples of that are the Unc Library of Congress and some of the Olympic coins that I talked myself out of and just got the proofs. I did splurge on a MS $5 Capitol Visitor Center which has done very well, so I hope if newer issues end up with very low mintages I don't lose the current premium on that coin.

WhyKnow likes this.
  22. hernancortes

The 2012-W unc. silver eagle just went backorder. Last sales reported were just under 200K, but they are still available as part of the annual uncirc. dollar set. When all is said and done did the mint really strike that many fewer than the prior year? I know I've been saying it for years now but this series, the w-unc, is in trouble as an annual offering. The mint does not have to offer these. Anyway this coin would be more appealing if it weren't $51.

AZ Ag likes this.
  23. HistoryStudent

That'll make the 2012 W ASE mint state, I think, believe, and top of the head thingie...

Number 3 : these truly are the new CC Morgan type coins as we are in living history.

after NUMBER 1 ; the 2007/2008 mint mistake coin (47,000)

after NUMBER 2 ; the 2011 "S" 25th Annie coin (99,000 ish)

Even the ATBs are now way under 20,000 - wow. If they ever really catch on
    - maybe if the mint pulls the rug on them soon?

Silver the RESTLESS Precious Metal end of the year prices:

2001 – $4.53

2002 – $4.67

2003 – $5.97

2004 – $6.57

2005 – $8.77

2006 – $12.59

2007 – $14.76

2008 – $10.57

2009 – $17.00

2010 – $30.52

2011 – $ 28.00

2012 – $ 30.00

24. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Anyone see any long term gains in buying up graded 70 2012 Silver Half Dollars. Not sure of the exact mintage, but they can be currently had for around $50.

25. HistoryStudent

A 50 cent piece is half of 71.5 % of an ounce = $10.36

enough said.

Chester-Copperpot likes this.
  26. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

You not think there's any long term numismatic value with the low mintage? Raw they can be had for around $29. Hard to find them cheaper than that.

27. HistoryStudent

Sorry I jumped the gun on the whole idea. You may have a fun idea long term.

To me slabbed anything just might be the new basket you need in the future.

The metals of gold, silver, and platinum will do their thing.

Authentication to many will be easier to trade when they all go super high in price and everything is at melt.

28. hernancortes

FINALLY the mint did it --- they have made their weekly numismatic sales report available to everyone, posted right on their site every Tuesday before 5:00 pm ET starting today. No more waiting for credentialed numismatic publications to get around to writing a report along with the data. Go to home page, then "About" tab at the top, then "Production & Sales Figures" at the right where you'll find they've reorganized everything including daily bullion totals and circ. coinage production.

29. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Gold Member Gold Chaser

Thanks!

It is nice to have the data available. One option that would make it even nicer is if you could download it as a file (CSV, text, Excel, etc.). As it is, you have to click through each screen. I'd rather download it all then sort it to my pleasure.

Gee, I guess I should just be happy the data is there. LOL!
    (some people are never satisfied) :cool:

30. savvydon

Agreed. It was a bit of a task getting through the Mint's presentation of the fires. I wound up going back to my usual site.

31. MrLucky

Gambling man
    ^^ Also agreed. Too many clicks to get anywhere. Nice idea though. I went back to the old place also.

And putting it under the "About" tab seems strange. Who'd look for it there?

32. Curio Bill

Curio Bill New Member

I get lawyer crap like every day......

33. hernancortes

Harry Miller has a new piece in Numisamtic News on the rising premiums of back-dated ASE's. So I pulled out latest greysheet to verify:

Bid Price, spot basis $19.67, mint state ASE's, gem+ condition:

'86 - $35
    '89 - $27
    '90 - $29
    '93 - $28
    '94 - $36
    '95 - $33
    '96 - $55

34. HistoryStudent

Good INFORMATION. I remember back when silver was high'er priced that MONSTER boxes of the above had TREMENDOUS extra premiums attached. Even a few of the early 2000s had BIG BUCKS (read extra $5,000) attached to them from AP*MEX.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  35. hernancortes

Though gold has been murdered over the last year, the key date modern gold eagle is keeping very strong. Last greysheet bid I saw on the '91 $25 in gem mint state was $2625. Meanwhile ebay shows completed recent sales of a pcgs ms69 for $3300, an ngc ms70 for $4000, a pcgs 67 for $2600, & an ngc ms69 for $2850. In four years of following this coin I've watched it do nothing but grind higher in price from $1650 at the start of 2010 to $2050 in 2011 to $2300 in 2012 to $2450 last year to easily $2600+ today. I cannot think of any other modern US coin that's done that. Sustained high demand and very few to hit the market.

Solo likes this.
  36. hernancortes

By 2014 I've come to believe the '86 bullion ASE to be one of the most difficult to locate of all the MS issues and their premium is justified next to coins like the '96, '94 and '97, despite the '86's somewhat higher mintage.

WhyKnow likes this.
  37. savvydon

I agree and I think you are taking the long view. When the design gets changed that may further catapult the value of the issue. In the meantime they can still be had in bulk for a small premium.

38. hernancortes

At my local show today I looked at a dealer's greysheet for the latest in $25 'bullion' gold eagle pricing, so the following is going by memory:
    $25 MS gold eagles bid prices

1988 - $1700
    1989 - $1800
    1990 - $2100
    1991 - $3100(!!)
    1992 - $1250?
    1995- $1300?
    1996 - $1500
    2001 - $1200

39. hernancortes

So yeah I would advise anyone who has a 1/2 oz. bullion gold eagle to check the date on it.
    In other news the '95-W silver eagle is making a run at its record high which was just shy of $5000 in early '07. Greysheet bid is now $3800... incredibly an ICG PR70 sold on ebay for $14,600 recently.

savvydon likes this.
  40. hernancortes