1. Thurs am and USD regains some lost ground, now over 101
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning! To start we have Gold down 9 to 1202, while Silver is down 31 to 1695. We have Crude up on supply info after a big downswing, +31 to 5221. The USD is back above 101 at 101.12.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 1/7/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1173.40-- UP 21.70 Silver $16.52-- UP 54 Oil $53.99 -- UP 27 TICS USD $102.21 -- DOWN 7 Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1243.95 (1), SAE $19.53 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Modern Commemorative Coins / Eric Jordan

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by 321AU, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Not an easy coin to find, but that's just an insane bid for a coin that is probably going grade no higher than 67 at pcgs (and that's assuming the reverse is mint). I can see three distinct hits or damaged spots and several more look suspect, but without seeing the coin in hand there's just no way to know for certain.

While we're on the subject I wonder how pcgs grades the tougher to find early/mid 90's AGE's? It's well established that the grading scale differs slightly for different lines and in particular there is a distinct difference between grading moderns versus classics (eg. 2014 cents versus flying eagles or Indians) so I'm wondering how forgiving they would be on a tough to find in MS AGE like this one. Would it automatically be graded a little softer than 2014 bullion halves? It shouldn't be, but you just never know until you've submitted a number of them yourself.

Thanks for sharing the link HC :thumbs_up:

hernancortes likes this.
  2. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

Indeed, who is bidding that price on this coin... is it collector, speculator, or just dumba$$? The speculator sees this as the hot coin it is and expects it to hit the magic $5K mark that only only a handful of moderns have acheived. But then why wouldn't you just buy the MS68 for a bit more money for some piece of mind, since this raw coin here looks iffy at best and the reverse is unknown! DumbA$$ with auction fever is more likely, but could be a collector building a raw date set who cares little for condition and recognizes how utterly few of these hit the market, no matter what the mintage tables or the pop. reports say. Because there is definitely more than meets the eye about the late 80s early 90s fractional AGEs, Jordan suggests that many hide in IRA accounts but the possibilty of some melting is not out of the question.

3. hernancortes

4. hernancortes

Still very few key date 1/2 oz 'bullion' age's in ultra grade hit the market. But a '91 in ngc ms69 went for $3850 on 9/20.

HistoryStudent and savvydon like this.
  5. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

Bumping this thread, as it contains some useful insight.

HistoryStudent likes this.
  6. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

Premature but totally correct. Most miss the forest through the trees because of our own pride, prejudice, feelings, and wishes.

Jordan if read correctly even from this old book will teach you the abilities to see the under-valued as his ancestors did NOT even see - some 100 to
    200 years ago - the NUMISMATISTS of yesterday. I DO feel like the LONE RANGER! Or Crusader Rabbit from those over 66...

So many need to slow down and get the HUGE big picture to be contrary investors and really do GOOD compared to the following the
    42,000,000,000 crowd and buying the lemmings variety versus the 160,000 crowd wiping them out. The NEW MORGANS in ASE the -W's-
    but later on when they pay for it; it will hit home and hurt!

7. HistoryStudent

True rarity is the absence of availability not some BS coin label on a slab.

See Jordan's book for the INFORMATION on not losing your sweet ARSE...

8. tekhen

tekhen Seeker Seeker

"buy the coin and not the slab"

Also, buy what you like. FS are low in mintage but I do not like the series, so they are not in my collection.
    It is also a guessing game, Nm one knows when a coin is going to be low in mintage and wanted by many, only time will tell.

Regarding moderns(in terms of fiat), I done well on some and not well on others.
    You either flip while it has the 'new car' smell or you hold and cross your fingers.

I do believe the 'hobby of kings'(especially coins that contain PMs) will continue to be an enjoyable hobby for years to come.

9. angryhippy

angryhippy Seeker Seeker

HS, may I ask what coins are on your radar for the remainder of this year? Life has kept me out of the coin loop lately. Thanks.

10. HistoryStudent

AngryHippy friend...

I do like the First Spouses in both MS & PF (69 or 70) whatever. Page 158 especially Jordan's 1st book Modern Commemorative Coins - spells it out.
    Everything worth over a grand should be slabbed NGC or PCGS.

Quote, "... this SERIES could be the only ISSUE available directly from the U.S. government with a sub 6,000 mintages going forward." HS thinks
    he's right. Period. Not only under 6,000 but "hells bells" under 3,000 now solidly in PF and under 2,000 in MS.

I also feel that there will be very few sets for sale because they made so few in so many individual coins. FS Roosevelt FDR -
    will bring a lot later on in either MS of PF. As will T.R. Roosevelt as he was number 5 president and the coin is nice. Eisenhower, Truman, and Johnson
    were number's 8, 7, and 11, respectively. They are the lose cannons on the ship depending upon gold, Kennedy sales, and the whims of the US Mint.

However, the 1 oz. Burnished AGE "W" might go low ball too. Not to mention the 1 oz. Platinum PF. It is funny how the US Mint commission told them there at the mint that the American public pocket books can ONLY handle 2 QUARTER OUNCE gold type commemorative(s) a year and now they give the 8 to 10 HALF OUNCE SPOUSES, the ONE OUNCE PLATINUM, the many varieties GOLD AGEs in MS & PF, and THEN they still throw in the 2 commemorative(s) in MS & PF. I "THUNK" think The folks is ALL tapped out. Buy the ones that are undervalued.

Watch ALL the ATB coins in 5 oz. silver especially if they go under 20,000 mintage(s). Always buy the ASE Burnished "W"s as they are the new Carson City type mintmark when it was on the US Morgans silver dollars. Similar mintage numbers and all - compare them in your RED BOOK.

I'm watching the HIGH RELIEF 2015 GOLD coin too. What it looks like etc. I like the contrary things that most people miss because they follow the super crowds.

Note that the FEDERAL RESERVE is pulling Mr. Hamilton OFF the $10 dollar FRN and putting on some FEMALE to be determined.
    Many many many missed the fact that the females will start from now on; and that's why I liked the First Spouse series. It totally rhymed
    with so many prior extremely low mintage(s) from the mint over 100 years ago now. Only this was and is 82 separate coins now with Reagan instead of only a few, or a small series.

I frankly expect one FEMALE shortly as president in the White House because of a few reasons. That will make the FS series come alive and there AIN'T - or will not be TOO many available soon(ly).

Read Eric Jordan's book - Modern Commemorative Coins - about ten times.... he's ten times smarter than I!

angryhippy likes this.
  11. angryhippy

angryhippy Seeker Seeker

Thank you sir. I am hip to the FS and the burnish w's, got a nice pile of the 06,07,08 silver w's. My copy of the book is well read and has also been read by a few friends. Just been out of touch and always feel like your guidance can be trusted. I'll get to reading up.

12. HistoryStudent

angryhippy = You are more than welcome.

I do want you to look at the back of Jordan's book mentioned above in the APPENDIX sections.

Especially in the LAW breakdowns... and WHERE they have to get their precious metals...

Note that the US Mint has to BUY on the open market all the gold and silver for their coins.

In Platinum they can take from the TREASURY stockpile by law

Please see the recent video of the US Mint at West Point.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  13. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    Bumping this thread as many may not know of it's existence and it has some great information.

oldgaranddad likes this.
  14. hernancortes

Here at the end of 2016 it's clear the mintage chart looks totally different now. By the time the last spouse goes off sale, the burnished plats will be pushed off the page almost entirely.

savvydon likes this.
  15. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

Finally got my copy of this book, at a price of $4, including shipping.

Condition is about 90% new.

16. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
  17. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

Right now, the book is sitting on my bookshelf.

One of these days, I'll get the time to read it!

18. macrohedge

macrohedge New Member

The final sales number of Betty ford and Nixon may be around 1650. Cool, very cool!