1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Moringa Oleifera: Most Awesome Tree Ever

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by gnome, Apr 30, 2010.

1. gnome

gnome Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Debated whether to put this in survival prep or alternative health forum. In the end, I figure growing Moringa could be one of the most valuable preps one could make if you live in a suitable climate. Plant it once and harvest this superfood for the next 40 years! Drought tolerant and low-maintenance. In Aryurveda, they say Moringa cures 300 diseases.

I have a couple of moringa trees growing from seed right now...only about 8 inches tall. Looking forward to first harvest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa_oleifera

http://www.naturalnews.com/022272_Moringa_medicinal_herbs.html

AMforPM likes this.
  2. gnome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Rhodium Imam Gold Chaser

Keeping those damn kids off my lawn!
    What are the downsides--is it invasive, or taxing to the soil?

4. beercritic

beercritic Seeker Seeker

Where might one go to obtain some plants?

5. damoc

damoc Seeker Seeker

moringafarms.com is where i got my seeds but did not have a lot of luck with them but i have poor soils and a notorious brown thumb.
    but possibly they are not as easy to grow as advertised. following directions i always got them to sprout but could not get them to mature stage

guess i will just have to try again i still have seeds left over

AMforPM likes this.
  6. gnome

I got seeds through moringafarms.com as well. I planted 3, and 2 appear to have turned into healthy plants. The third, I planted in a dry patch of sand - may have been dug up by squirrels, or just never germinated. I soaked the seeds overnight and then put them in pots with rich composted soil and waited for sun and water to do their thing. Didn't come up until we had a few hot days in a row.

When the first harvest of seeds comes in, I'll be happy to share or trade seeds, but no idea when that will be. Supposedly moringa is easily propagated by cuttings as well.

Gardenweb.com forums are a great source to find local folks to trade seeds and cuttings with, as well as great local information for your climate zone.

7. Turtleguy

Turtleguy New Member

Aloha All
    Here on Oahu, the trees grow like weeds. You have to trim them back or they will take over. I guess the rule here is, where there are filipinos, there you will find the tree.
    When I trim the trees in the yard, they come around for the leaves., I never see them taking the pods though.
    Turtleguy

Hystckndle and gnome like this.
  8. AMforPM

AMforPM Gold Member Gold Chaser

I have a hot dry area I think will be perfect for 2. How tall do they get? And how soon do they get big?

I may have room for a third.

I think I will coddle them in pots till they get a little growth.

edit to add:

Thanks guys! I just ordered 30 seeds. I'll start at least 6 and hope to get 3 healthy trees. Thinking about spots available... I might have room for 6. I am relocating my early and late peaches next fall with new young trees out of sight from the street but will use cuttings from the early one because I cannot find anyone who has it. I bought it from a kid selling a few young trees in front of a small town gas station and it has been a magnificent early peach. But my entire former orchard is in the part of the yard that can be seen from the street and that the dog does not patrol. She is so beautiful I have worried she would be dognapped. If the human has goodwill, she is friendly.

But I doubt most people would recognize these trees as food. Also, that nonexistent climate change caused all my zone 8 fruit trees to fail for lack of chill hours. So I can replace the cherry intended for california and the never fruiting pluot and aprium with these trees.

Our figs and peaches prospered well. We have so many figs it is ridiculous. But maps can say what they like, we are currently climate zone 9.

Now if we get sudden global cooling, these trees will be in trouble. But I'm interested in giving them a try.

Oil, seeds, leaves, and water purification plus medicinal. What's not to like?

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  9. AMforPM

AMforPM Gold Member Gold Chaser

On making the oil...

Could you use a cider press? Anyone know?

Oil is one of those hard to grow your own on a small plot necessities. I'm excited at the prospect of growing our own cooking oil.

10. gnome

AMforPM, they'll get quite tall, but you can crop them aggressively and compost or mulch with the trimmings. They will be pulling minerals from 20 feet down up to the leaves. Put a little rock or cob wall on the north side of the trees as a thermal mass and you can create a microclimate that will stretch your growing zone more than you might think. I think you've seen Sepp Holzer who is growing kiwis and citrus in the austrian alps.

Yes, probably a good stealth food tree in the front yard.

Have read that growing them in pots is less than ideal, as they put down a deep taproot and being bound up can interfere with the optimal development of the taproot.

http://tilz.tearfund.org/Publications/Footsteps+21-30/Footsteps+28/Moringa+oil.htm

AMforPM likes this.
  11. gnome

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    AMforPM likes this.
  12. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Cool thread, thanks Gnome !!

13. acenhi

acenhi New Member

Turtleguy...howzit from the Hilo side. Is this the same tree, the one the Filipinos call Kala-mon-guy[ Happy Aloha & furlough Friday

14. gnome

My 2 moringas are now about a foot tall growing well. A few of the lower leaves have turned yellow and fallen off. Maybe I overwatered?
    I started a third...soaking the seed for 48 hours then buried an inch deep in potting soil. It germinated quickly and now is putting out leaves and growing quickly. They seem to like the heat of florida summer. So now 3 out of 4 have successfully germinated. The one that didn't make it may have become squirrel food.

Yes. Anything with a name in so many cultures must be either really useful or a major pest. From wiki:

15. gnome

My tallest moringa is about 3.5 feet tall now, decided to pluck off a couple of leaves and try it. Ate it raw, tasted like many garden greens - reminiscent of collards with a hint of sourness like a sorrel. Quite tender and tasty. Definitely worth adding to salads. I won't harvest and cook much until they get bigger, but looking forward to seeing what it tastes like cooked. I now have 3 trees growing and have shared seeds with several friends.

16. Green Light

Green Light Banned

I have a couple of those trees in my yard. I got the seeds from ECHO.

I cooked about a cup of the leaves once and ate them and they gave me the runs. They weren't real tasty either. Win win.

Maybe if I ate them all the time I wouldn't have gotten the runs.