1. Stocks soar, Metals get hammered
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Monday morning takedown. Gold is down 12.8 to 1243 while Silver is down 17 to 1647. Crude is up 20 to 4321. The USD is up 15 to 97.09
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Most top 10's career

Discussion in 'All Things Golf' started by Scorpio, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

while many fuss over the modern players, the greats are from the past,

think what they would have done with modern equipment and courses,

the overall field today is much better IMO, but the level of competition at the very top is not what it was.

Nicklaus had Player/Arnold/Lee/Watson/Floyd, etc all coming after a piece of him

Tiger had one, Mickelson, who is good, but not great. Tiger was certainly good in his prime, but he was simply a product of equipment and courses. Certainly not to be mentioned in the same sentence as the greats. Snead/Jones/Hogan/Nicklaus/Arnold/Nelson

--------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Sam Snead (circa 1960) had more Top 10 finishes than anyone else in golf history. Joan Roth / Hulton Archive / Getty Images

By Brent Kelley

Updated August 26, 2014.
    The record for finishing the Top 10 the most times in a PGA Tour career belongs to:

Sam Snead - 358 Top 10 finishes

Snead made his debut on the PGA Tour in 1935, and he recorded at least one Top 10 finish every year but two for the next 40 years, until his last Top 10 in 1975. (Snead failed to record a Top 10 in 1970, when he was 58 years old; and in 1943 because of military service.)

For the sake of comparison, here are the number of PGA Tour Top 10s posted by some other golfers:

Jack Nicklaus - 286
    Arnold Palmer - 245
    Billy Casper - 236
    Tom Watson - 220
    Gene Littler - 213
    Tom Kite - 209
    *Tiger Woods - 185
    Gary Player - 177
    *Phil Mickelson - 173
    Lee Trevino - 166
    Hale Irwin - 165
    Raymond Floyd - 163
    Ben Crenshaw - 144
    Greg Norman - 128
    Paul Azinger - 112
    Tom Lehman - 97
    *John Daly - 34
    *through Aug. 2014

http://golf.about.com/od/progolftours/qt/ptop10career.htm

BarnacleBob likes this.
  2. Scorpio

Most Career Wins PGA

[​IMG]
    Jack Nicklaus (left) and Arnold Palmer, pictured in 1965, are two of the winningest golfers in PGA Tour history. H. Thompson/Evening Standard/Hulton Archive/Getty Images

By Brent Kelley

Updated August 23, 2015.
    Below is the list of golfers with the most PGA Tour career wins. Our list includes all golfers with 15 or more victories, and there are 62 such golfers. Thirty-seven golfers have 20 or more PGA Tour career wins; 18 have 30 or more wins; 10 have 40 or more wins; and just seven golfers have 50 or more PGA Tour career wins.

Career Wins on the PGA Tour
    Sam Snead - 82
    *Tiger Woods - 79
    Jack Nicklaus - 73
    Ben Hogan - 64
    Arnold Palmer - 62
    Byron Nelson - 52
    Billy Casper - 51
    Walter Hagen - 45
    *Phil Mickelson - 42
    Cary Middlecoff - 40
    Gene Sarazen - 39
    Tom Watson - 39
    Lloyd Mangrum - 36
    *Vijay Singh - 34
    Horton Smith - 32
    Harry Cooper - 31
    Jimmy Demaret - 31
    Leo Diegel - 30
    Gene Littler - 29
    Paul Runyan - 29
    Lee Trevino - 29
    Henry Picard - 26
    Tommy Armour - 25
    Johnny Miller - 25
    Gary Player - 24
    Macdonald Smith - 24
    Johnny Farrell - 22
    Raymond Floyd - 22
    Jim Barnes - 21
    *Davis Love III - 21
    Willie Macfarlane - 21
    Lanny Wadkins - 21
    Craig Wood - 21
    Hale Irwin - 20
    Bill Mehlhorn - 20
    Greg Norman - 20
    Doug Sanders - 20
    Ben Crenshaw - 19
    *Ernie Els - 19
    Doug Ford - 19
    Hubert Green - 19
    Tom Kite - 19
    Nick Price - 18
    Julius Boros - 18
    Jim Ferrier - 18
    E.J.

"Dutch" Harrison - 18
    Johnny Revolta - 18
    Bobby Cruickshank - 17
    *Jim Furyk - 17
    Harold "Jug" McSpaden - 17
    Curtis Strange - 17
    Jack Burke Jr. - 16
    Ralph Guldahl - 16
    Mark O'Meara - 16
    Tom Weiskopf - 16
    Tommy Bolt – 15
    *Fred Couples - 15
    Ed Dudley - 15
    Bobby Locke - 15
    Corey Pavin – 15
    Denny Shute - 15
    Mike Souchak - 15
    *active on PGA Tour

Other Active Players with 9 or More Wins
    Kenny Perry - 14
    David Toms - 13
    Justin Leonard - 12
    Steve Stricker - 12
    Zach Johnson - 12
    Rory McIlroy - 11
    Adam Scott - 11
    Steve Elkington - 10
    Stuart Appleby - 9

http://golf.about.com/cs/historyofgolf/a/pgatourcareerw.htm

BarnacleBob likes this.
  3. Scorpio

the modern golfers are so soft and pampered that Lee or Chi Chi would have eaten them alive back in the day with their antics.

still remember a guy last year, ended up winning the tournament I think, but jumped like a little school girl when he was putting and someone let off a 'boom' on the river behind him last year. Man that was funny. What a putz.

Everything has to be just perfect and consistent for these fellas today to even play.

Lee would just toss a dirty old ball on the ground and say let's go, then beat you repeatedly mentally.

4. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

@ Scorp....

As I have gotten older, the game of golf has become rather taxing on my physical abilities, namely flexability, agility & timing.

Thus in order to beat some age & an injury out my swing, I made the decision last year to totally change my swing. I wasnt sure exactly what swing style I would adopt at the time, I just knew that a change was needed.....

My former swing was based upon the neocontemporary swing methedology, which is much different from the swing mechanics of Hogan, Nelson, Snead, Floyd, Palmer & Nicholas, etc.

We talked about the greats of golf mentioned above and how todays golfers & golf course architecture are so different than the former era.... I attribute much of the alterations and changes to the new swing, game regs. & courses to advancements in golf equipment.... This is to say that the new equipment also brought with it new theories on the best golf swing, and the abandonment of the olde swing methods.

Todays pro golfers are suffering from many injuries that the olde style golfers never incurred. I do readily admit that todays golfers play with a much greater degree of accuracy rather than bombing the course, but this accuracy comes at the great expense of personal injury..... Which begs the ? of just how did the greats from yesteryear punish the golf ball so severly with the rubberband ball & persimmon head driver technology?

I began seeking a new swing method, I watched numerous "youtube" vids with interviews of olde players & teachers and discovered that back in their hayday, they didnt actually swing at the ball, but they rather threw the club at the ball using their arms & body to create leverage that enhanced club head swing.... bombing the low tech ball with persimmon drivers.

Todays modern swing is nothing akin to the older method. The olde method of throwing the club decreased injuries relative to the new method.... The olde method allowed pro's to compete & play well into their fifties, while the new method has pro players expended by their mid thirties.... The pro circuit has become a young mans playground! This I think is due to the amount of various training & concomittant injuries suffered with the new tour swing methods.

The olde throw the club head method let the club head do the heavy hauling, not the body. The body did not require unnatural contortions or creating a mental gordian knot just to hit the damned ball....

Like all things today, the so called complexity of modern equipment required a corresponding complex swing to go along with it.... A swing that prolly only one in five thousand if not more amatuer golfers can master.... but it sells a lot more equipment and balls, and keeps the local PGA teaching pro teaching a lot longer than necessary...

For myself, I have completely abandoned the new method, and will continue to learn the olde methods....

jmo

5. Scorpio

now that is a interesting look at it that I never considered,

kinda cool when we think about it,

the manufactured robotic swing and equipment vs the old style golf............

but that is also why I had made statements regarding how 'personal' the oldtimers swings were, rather than monolithic. No matter what their swing looked like, the old timers knew how to get the club back to the ball, and could also massage the trajectory of the ball at will.

6. BarnacleBob

Take a look at the new clubs being produced, everything is much bigger & longer.... big heads, longer shafts & 2° closed faces all trying to compensate "off the rack" for this new swing.

My Taylormade burner irons for instance were advertised as the straightest, longest hitting mass produced irons. TM accomplished this feat by mismarking the heads. A 4 iron has the lie angle of a 2 iron, a 7 iron is a 5 1/2 iron, etc... to make them hit longer, they extended the length of the shaft. Its all sales gimmicks to sell more clubs.

Todays standard off the shelf driver has a length of 45 1/2+", compared to the olde drivers @ 42 - 43".... of course they hit longer, when you can properly hit them on the screws.... which to me is just another gimmick to sell more clubs.

Sergio Garcia uses an improvised club throwing swing... his driver is 43" long. It has to be shorter with his swing, as its almost impossible to get fully turned before impact. The longer 45+" driver will result in slices using a throw swing as the club head will usually be open at impact... The manufacturers then produce a club head that is closed 2 - 3° @ impact to assist the shaft length....

Its a bunch of B.S.... creating problems then offering solutions to sell more clubs!

For instance, when the 2 iron is marked a 4 iron, most amatuer golfers dont possess the skill or physical flexibility to hit a 2 iron... so the manufacturers invented a completely new club: the hybrid, a replacement club for those that cannot swing the misleading mismarked 4 iron.

From an economic POV this looks like a bubble top has passed for the golf industry when they are basically canabalizing themselves for sales....

It is said that 5 million golfers have given up the game, and the industry anticipates a further loss of 5 million due to attrition. No doubt, they did it to themselves.... they supported & taught some kinda funky golf swing that doesnt work for the majority of amateurs, backed by complex misleading theories, then promoted and advertised that the only way to overcome the disabilities the golfer was experiencing was to purchase the latest & greatest very expensive off the shelf golf equipment..... A RACKET is the word that comes to my mind.

There is hope tho, as I observe more & more golf teaching pro's abandon the new swing and revert back to the traditional concepts that the greats once used.... Even Tiger attempted to adopt the new swing & failed miserably at it, which ought to tell us something.

While the game of golf is physically demanding & complex, it was stupidity IMO for the entire industry to muck it up for short term teaching & equipment sales advantages.

7. BarnacleBob

Club 1960s–70s 1980s Early 1990s 1997+
    (degrees) (degrees) (degrees) (degrees)
    1-iron 17 17 16 16–17
    2-iron 20 20 19 18–20
    3-iron 24 23 22 20–21
    4-iron 28 26 25 23–24
    5-iron 32 30 28 26–27
    6-iron 36 34 32 30–31
    7-iron 40 38 36 34–35
    8-iron 44 42 40 38–40
    9-iron 48 46 44 42–44
    PW 52 50 48 46–48