1. Stocks continue up, all is aok. Metals flat to weaker.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tues Morning! Gold is down 0.8 to 1260 while Silver is down 5 to 1714. Crude is down 49 to 5064. The USD is down 10 to 9677.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycle Mania

Discussion in 'Auto, Tractor, Motorcycles, Racing, and Mechanics' started by LetterG, Jan 28, 2016.

?

Where is your favorite State to Ride??

1. South Dakota???? Black Hills

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Tennessee??? LBL or the Mountains

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. California??

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Arizona??

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Florida??

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Texas??

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Alabama??

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. North Georgia??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Carolinas??

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. New Mexico??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dacrunch

dacrunch Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

French Alps

searcher and Duckworth like this.
  2. dacrunch

Rumania

searcher and Duckworth like this.
  3. dacrunch

If you happen to go to Sweden, just keep a lookout in your rear-view mirror for this guy...

searcher likes this.
  4. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

Sweet ride REO! I had a '82 KZ 1000-J back in the day!

5. dacrunch

When I was young & unbreakable, I always wanted to try this =

skychief and searcher like this.
  6. 90%RealMoney

The ride to and from the Rock Store in Malibu Canyon is always a good one. You can pull off up at the top, and watch guys coming up the hill in some pretty tight turns. Always a risk of oncoming traffic, and gravel/rocks in the road though.

VeniceBeachBum likes this.
  7. VeniceBeachBum

VeniceBeachBum Seeker Seeker

I do that ride a few times a month. Stop at the rock store for a bit then head up to the overlook atop the snake. Mulholland, Encinal, Latigo cyn rd, Stunt Rd, Piuma..... Then head to Neptune's Net... My favorite roads up there....

90%RealMoney and searcher like this.
  8. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

This was my first motorcycle. Dad got it for me when I was 10 years old - had to share it with my brothers. Whoever got up first in the morning got it and that was usually me.

[​IMG]

historyrepete and searcher like this.
  9. dacrunch

I got that exact one for my son on his 6th birthday! Fun bike!

searcher likes this.
  10. 90%RealMoney

My current ride for the twisties is a 750 Suzuki Katana. Plenty fast, and quite nimble for a heavier bike. At my age, the riding position comes into play big time. Did a 300 mile ride last summer and my neck hurt for days after. No way could I do that on a full crotch rocket like a GSXR or Ninja, with the lower, crouched position. We went through the Sonora Pass, 10,000 ft. elevation or so. Talk about a hairball, twisty ride! Fun and beautiful though.

REO 54, Lt Dan and VeniceBeachBum like this.
  11. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

A Ninja is more of a streetbike while the Katana is more of a sport tourer. You are thinking of a ZX-10 that will give you back pain. Ninjas are great for everyday riding.

12. 90%RealMoney

Unfortunately on the highway, the windscreen directs the air right under your chin. After that long ride, my neck was toast. Hard to have the perfect bike for the day, when you are doing two or three types of riding. Still, it's all worth it! All the guys I ride with are ten years older than me ( I'm 55) and these guys don't screw around, they get after it! It's a blast. When we pull into a stop, people seem kind of shocked when all the grey beards pull their helmets off! LOL!

REO 54 and Lt Dan like this.
  13. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

I'll chime in to say Harley got it right with their streetglide. It's a cruiser that'll take to the twistys like a dream. I added the package that dang near makes it an ultra when the wife goes. Screenshot_2015-05-19-00-16-53.png

14. 90%RealMoney

That's a comfortable looking passenger right there. Makes a difference when they don't have to hold on for dear life all day long!

historyrepete and Lt Dan like this.
  15. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Holding onto "Dear" is one reason I have arm rests on my bike, something less distracting for the rider to hang onto. A plus is that it does make the rider feel more secure.

90%RealMoney likes this.
  16. 90%RealMoney

Tire question for the Crotch Rocket guys. I have Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart (sport touring) tires on my Katana right now, that's what was on it when I bought it. Front tire needs replacing, so I'm getting a Sport Max Q3. The rear still has decent tread, I figure the front Q3 will wear out about the same time as the rest of the rear Roadsmart. Plus, I wanted to feel the difference of the front before deciding on what to get for the next full set. Wondering if you guys have any preference between the Dunlop Q3 say, and the Michelin Pilot 2CT, which is my other choice for a full set at a later date? Sounds like the Michelins are about as soft as it gets from the reviews I've read. Anyone have any knowledge, or preference to offer on this subject? Since the majority of my riding tends to be of the canyon carving type, with a bunch of Hoodlums, I'm going with the sticky tires that don't last as long. I figure I'll at least get a full season out of a set of sticky ones. Seems the Dunlops and the Michelins are the most popular.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  17. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Some pretty wild stuff here.............

Motorcycles Custom & Rat Style
    Samuel Cernuto

Published on Apr 23, 2016

18. searcher

19. nickndfl

KLR in Ecuador.

Attached Files:

searcher and REO 54 like this.
  20. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Self Employed Ex-shipyard Machinist
    Here's what I ride the mountains of East Tennessee with. Custom built, titled 1961, 96ci stroker EVO, 5sp with reverse, 80 spoke wheels, Ultima raked frontend, steel Ural box on a custom built frame. A dedicated sidecar bike. I built her about three years ago. Gave her 10" of ground clearance so she'll ford creeks and climb washed out, rocky, mountain roads.
    P1060455.JPG P1060456.JPG P1060457.JPG

21. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Just got through watching this documentary .... Very enjoyable. Explains a lot of our passion for motorcycles..

http://whyweride.com

searcher likes this.
  22. searcher

HARLEY DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLE SALES FILM 1950s DUO-GLIDE 42904
    PeriscopeFilm

Published on Jun 10, 2016
    THE NEW HARLEY DAVIDSONS ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD is a campy yet precious sales film for the "new" Harley Davidson including the Duo-Glide and Sportster, the Model 165 and the Hummer. Made in the late 1950s the film was directed by Harlan P. Croy and written by Sam F. Greco — Harley's sales manager in this era — the film begins with civilian and police Duo Glide models.

Featuring a hydraulic rear brake, new cylinder head, and many other features, the Duo-Glide had a 74-cubic inch engine. The Duo Glide was an outgrowth of the FL, which was introduced to the Harley-Davidson model line in 1941. It used a 74 cu in (1,210 cc) version of the "Knucklehead" OHV engine that powered the EL in 61 cu in (1,000 cc) form. The FL continued relatively unchanged until 1948, when it and the EL were given redesigned "Panhead" engines of the same capacities as before. These engines had several improvements over the earlier "Knuckleheads", including self-adjusting hydraulic lifters and aluminum cylinder heads to reduce weight and improve cooling. The U and UL flathead twins were discontinued in 1948, leaving the OHV EL and FL models as Harley-Davidson's large-frame motorcycles

The FL model was given a new frame in 1958. This frame included a rear swingarm suspended by a pair of coil-over-shock suspension units. In honor of this fully suspended chassis, the FL's model name was changed from Hydra-Glide to Duo-Glide.

Unlike OHV configuration, aluminum heads, and telescopic-fork front suspension, however, this improvement in technology was applied to the small-frame bikes first, the K-series having received rear suspension in 1952.

The Sportster, shown at the 5:20 mark, is part of a line of motorcycles produced continuously since 1957 by Harley-Davidson. Sportster models are designated in Harley-Davidson's product code by beginning with "XL". In 1952, the predecessors to the Sportster, the Model K Sport and Sport Solo motorcycles, were introduced. These models K, KK, KH, and KHK of 1952 to 1956 had a flat head engine, whereas the later XL Sportster models use an overhead valve engine. The first Sportster in 1957 had many of the same details of the KH including the frame, fenders, large gas tank and front suspension.

The Hummer seen at the 7:50 mark, was a motorcycle model manufactured by Harley-Davidson from 1955 to 1959. However, the name "Hummer" is now incorrectly used generically to refer to all American-made single-cylinder two-stroke Harley-Davidson motorcycles manufactured from 1948 to 1966.

The Model 165 is also shown. At 13:09, riding double is shown, and competition riding including the Daytona Beach race won by Joe Leonard (14:40). Laconia, New Hampshire is shown at the 16:00 mark with its road race, 100 miles of high speed racing.

Harley-Davidson, Inc. (H-D), or Harley, is an American motorcycle manufacturer, founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1903.
    As one of two major American motorcycle manufacturers to survive the Great Depression (along with Indian), the company has survived numerous ownership arrangements, subsidiary arrangements (e.g., Aermacchi 1974-1978 and Buell 1987-2009), periods of poor economic health and product quality, as well as intense global competition — to become the world's fifth largest motorcycle manufacturer and an iconic brand widely known for its loyal following — with owner clubs and events worldwide as well as a company sponsored brand-focused museum.

We encourage viewers to add comments and, especially, to provide additional information about our videos by adding a comment! See something interesting? Tell people what it is and what they can see by writing something for example like: "01:00:12:00 -- President Roosevelt is seen meeting with Winston Churchill at the Quebec Conference."

This film is part of the Periscope Film LLC archive, one of the largest historic military, transportation, and aviation stock footage collections in the USA. Entirely film backed, this material is available for licensing in 24p HD and 2k. For more information visit http://www.PeriscopeFilm.com

mtnman likes this.
  23. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

I had a Honda 350 Four cylinder. I think it was the first consumer motorcycle with a disc brake. They only made them in 1973 and 1974. I thought the little shot glass pistons were working too hard. The thing redlined at 10,500 RPM I believe. I had ridden the Honda 350 twin and liked the torquey twin better, but I got a good deal on a mint condition 350 Four from a coworker. This one below is not mine but mine looked as good, minus the saddle bags and rear carrier.

[​IMG]

REO 54, historyrepete and mtnman like this.
  24. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

Anyone have any kidney pains from riding too much ? I was getting them and I stopped riding as much and they seem to have gone away. Does a kidney belt actually help ? I want to know whether to buy one or not.

25. nickndfl

My ass was glued to the seat after wiping out twice on the borrowed bucket of bolts I was riding.

searcher likes this.
  26. searcher

27. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    This thread needs an update.

c1def6189dc525606743d227b40dbd9e.jpg

mtnman, searcher and REO 54 like this.
  28. skychief

skychief enthusiastic stacker Silver Miner

Musician
    Nice routes.

Neptune's Net is okay for kibbitzin' with the biker bro's and grabbing a cold one..

For much better eats, try Malibu Seafood. 19 miles east of the Net.

29. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

Pig trail eureka springs ak.

Attached Files:

30. searcher

31. searcher

Triumph gave me a MOTORCYCLE!!!
    chaseontwowheels

Published on Jul 5, 2016
    Thanks again to Triumph US for this amazing opportunity! You guys can check them out here: http://bit.ly/29i8oa3

32. searcher

33. searcher

34. searcher

35. searcher

2016 Honda Africa Twin | First Ride
    chaseontwowheels

Published on Jul 22, 2016
    Please reed description before commenting!!!

Make sure to check out these HD photos and the pro audio file of the exhaust here: http://bit.ly/2a0qdxt

Welcome to the first ride of the brand new 2016 Honda Africa Twin. In this video I got to check out the DCT version which basically makes it automatic! This is a much watch.

Disclaimer:
    The horrible audio issues were caused by a malfunction of a GoPro adapter that I use found here: http://amzn.to/29VHxhp
    They normally work amazing, but this one just stopped working out of nowhere.

Bike Provided by:
    Mountain Motorsports
    in Roswell
    http://bit.ly/FirstRideMMS

36. searcher

He pushed me to the edge!
    chaseontwowheels

Published on Jul 26, 2016
    Drones, drunks and railroad tracks. Oh how we always seem to find an interesting adventure on our dual vlogs.

37. searcher

2017 Yamaha FZ-10 (MT-10) | First Ride
    chaseontwowheels

Published on Jul 29, 2016
    Check out the HD images here: http://bit.ly/2auNUv5

Finally got to take Yamaha's new FZ-10 (MT-10 in Europe) out for a ride. This bike was a dream bike and was a dream to ride. Watch the video for the full story!

Bike Provided by:
    Mountain Motorsports
    in Roswell
    http://bit.ly/FirstRideMMS

38. searcher

2015 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    ScottieDTV

Published on Jul 29, 2016
    The 2015 Can Am Spyder F3S....In this video I do a quick walk around on my Dads new Cam Am Spyder....He had the first Generation so I was excited to hear what He had to say about this one....He is Handicap and can't use the foot break.....He has had a aftermarket hand break installed and it looks like it came from the factory....See if the trade was worth the money!!!...Please Subscribe to this channel and Visit www.ScottieDTV.com The Coolest Cars On The Web!!! For more cool content!!!

39. searcher

2010 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic in action
    samspace81

Published on Jul 30, 2016
    Quick fun tour and ride of a pristine 2010 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Cruiser filmed straight out of Texas Motor Toys in Terrell, Texas (http://www.texasmotortoys.com) Currently for sale too. Check out this motorcycle and enjoy. One day these big cruiser bikes will be classics. Be sure to LIKE and SUBSCRIBE to Samspace81 for more classic car and automobile HD videos. Filmed in 4K UHD Ultra High Definition

40. searcher

2016 Ducati Multistrada Enduro | First Ride
    chaseontwowheels

Published on Aug 12, 2016
    Chaseontwowheels jumps (literally) on the 2016 Ducati Multistrada Enduro to see what riding this beast for the first time is like!

Check out the blog post here: http://bit.ly/2bcF73k

0:00 Intro
    0:35 Cinematic
    2:43 Seat/Feel of the Bike
    3:44 Start Ride/Sport Mode
    4:05 Bluetooth Option
    6:14 Low RPM Torque
    6:39 Urban
    8:36 Speed Run
    8:50 Cruise Control
    10:18 Highway
    11:10 Different Modes