1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcyclist kicks car and triggers chain-reaction crash

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Bottom Feeder, Jun 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

The California Highway Patrol is searching for a motorcyclist who was captured on video as he kicked a vehicle on the 14 Freeway in Santa Clarita on Wednesday and triggered a wild, chain-reaction crash that left one motorist injured when his truck flipped.

The 22-second clip of the apparent road-rage incident has been shared thousands of times on Facebook. It shows the motorcyclist kicking the driver’s side of a sedan in the southbound carpool lane of the freeway. The sedan responds by veering left and sideswiping the motorcycle.

The sedan driver appears to lose control at the end of the maneuver, swerving right, across the double-yellow lines, then hard left before slamming into the freeway divider. The force of the collision with the concrete barrier throws up sparks and lifts the car’s left rear tire off the ground.

In the video, the car ricochets off the barrier and into traffic, where it barrels into the driver’s door of a white pickup truck, flipping it onto its roof.

The truck slides down the freeway upside down before skidding to a stop in the fast lane. The sedan spun 360 degrees and came to a stop in the slow lane with white smoke or steam pluming from the engine.

The motorcyclist rode off without stopping. The California Highway Patrol said the incident is considered a hit-and-run.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-road-rage-motorcycle-crash-20170622-story.html

That bike rider had balls.

BF

EricTheCat and D-FENZ like this.
  2. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    That biker deserves to be beat almost to death with his own motorcycle. He caused injury and property damage and could have killed someone for nothing.

3. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

And you guys thought all the accidents shown in the show "Chips" back in the day, were unbelieveable. I guess we didn't see what occured prior to the kicking incident. Being a MC rider myself, I would guess the bike got cut off by that car earlier. No reason to start something that you will probably lose, and cause more problems though. The driver of that car sure got squirelly. The way he/she swerved toward the bike, instead of away, kinda shows a little road rage in itself. Best to just let things go I've learned. People who do stupid things out on the road, will be caught, or ticketed eventually.

4. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

So many bikers are just plain assholes, I find the same to be true of those who ride bicycles on highways with impunity and demand you avoid them

edsl48, Usury, searcher and 1 other person like this.
  5. SWRichmond

SWRichmond Seeker Seeker

I suspect the driver of the car cut off the biker (before the videoing started...why else would the guy taking the video have started recording unless he saw an initiating event which the biker reacted angrily to? The guy thought there might be something about to happen worth videoing) and the biker wanted to communicate his displeasure. car driver veers first into the bike, then sees how close he is to jersey barriers and tries to veer away, loses control.

Doesn't make it OK.

We are losing our restraint. It is the left urging us to violence, not the right.

arminius, Alton, Son of Gloin and 2 others like this.
  6. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    It's Komiefornia, who actually cares east of the KA border?

7. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    I care, because I spend 3 hours on the Cali freeways every day.

I would surmise that it was the car driver who initiated the reaction from the biker.

I witness near misses every day, usually sudden car lane changes with no signal.

The aggressive bikers will typically try to kick a mirror.

In this case the car driver obviously reacted.

Every day.

8. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    I ride! I can't count the times I've been cut off, or people just pulling out in front of me, almost causing me to wreck, but kicking a moving car is just dumb. True there are a lot of asshats out there, a few of them might be on bikes, but I've almost literally run into stupid cage drivers that have no consideration of what it means to share the road.

9. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    I ride in NH and have seen very little of this. Of course I take up the same footprint on the road as when i'm driving. Stupid people are everywhere and they ride motorcycles and drive cars. Knowing you're at a disadvantage when riding should humble you a bit and temper your anger when you're out there unprotected... it does me!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Lt Dan likes this.
  10. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor

There is a bitch named Karma that will eventually hunt that motorcyclist down.

searcher and Son of Gloin like this.
  11. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Yep, lot's of people in cars think they ALWAYS have the right-of-way no matter what. Roads are for all users.

That said, there was bad behavior on both counts. No, the guy on the bike should not have kicked the car, but the car driver had no business attempting to use his car as a weapon in retaliation of that kick and he paid the price for having done so.

If you notice in the vid, the driver tried to hit the cyclist with his car and I have little doubt that the incident was initially started by the person in the car. I've personally seen it happen far too many times where people in cars have no regard for other road users who aren't also in a car. There seems to be something about getting behind the wheel that can make otherwise sane people go crazy.

Son of Gloin, Irons, searcher and 3 others like this.
  12. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I only drove a short time in California while on vacation but I noticed very quickly that if I signaled a lane change with a blinker, every driver in the intended lane would accelerate to cut me off. The only way to change lanes was without warning.

Mujahideen, Aurumag and 90%RealMoney like this.
  13. 90%RealMoney

Splitting lanes is legal in California. When approaching a red light, I will split lanes on my bike, and head to the front. I can't count how many times a person in a car ahead, spots me coming in their side mirror, and purposefully veers to pinch me off, so I can't proceed ahead. It never works for them, you can always manuever around. Just makes them look petty and idiotic. I just get my way around, and make sure they can see me smile as I pass them.

Mujahideen, Po'boy, Aurumag and 3 others like this.
  14. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

Yep, that's par for the course.

bb

15. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Reviewing the vid again, I think perhaps the biker took it on himself to discipline the motorist driving single in the express lanes. And the driver reacted in surprise and lost it.
    Clueless drive + asshole biker = death on the freeway

BF

Thecrensh and Son of Gloin like this.
  16. Joe King

Just another fine example of idiots in cars.
    ...and I know that not ALL drivers are like that, but many of them are. They want to get there first!

17. 90%RealMoney

Who knows, good chance the driver of the car was texting too, which is illegal. I see it all day, every day, and 98% of the time, it's a woman doing it. Not being cheauvanistic, it's just a fact.

Po'boy and the_shootist like this.
  18. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    I was driving through Akron one day, right around rush hour, going west. There was merging traffic coming onto the freeway, from my right, so, wanting to give them some room I checked my mirrors and turned my head left, to make sure I was clear to change lanes. Saw nothing coming up on my left flank lane, so I started to change lanes. Double checked my right of way, cause I'm rightfully paranoid on the road and while I'm moving over, there's a stupid ass on a crotch rocket coming up on me so fast, he made me look like I was sitting still. I was going 60, so he had to be doing about 100. On the freeway in Akron during rush hour.
    Naturally, I had to scoot back in my lane to keep from a massive car/bike collision and the dude rocketed past me. There's more. The people on my right are still merging and need room, so I checked left again and before I could even start to change lanes, six more assholes on their personal death cycles roar past me at about 100 mph. The people on my right had a helluva time getting into traffic, all because a bunch low IQ dickheads were trying to cheat death and get a thrill. Many people could have been killed that day.
    Point is, if you're on a bike, have some freaking common sense.

Usury, Someone_else and searcher like this.
  19. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    I quit riding after I broke my neck in 5 places...
    I've never kicked a moving car , that's pretty stupid.
    But I have heard that a hammer on a chain works pretty good....

image.jpg

20. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Gloin you mean these guys?

21. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    I've never been a biker, but my brother used to ride, until one of his riding buddies laid a bike down on the highway going over 100 and slid for God knows how many hundred yards down the road. My brother said there wasn't much left of his right side. Another of his riding buddies ended up in the hospital in a coma for a number of years before he died. My brother quit riding.

22. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    But, you didn't do that because of riding a bike. I'm sure you were a safe rider, what's this about chains and hammers?

spinalcracker likes this.
  23. Uglytruth

Liberal logic: It was a biker...... bikers voted for Trump. Snowflake decides to take action like the bern, cnn, msnbc, killary, bloomberg, madana, depp, milano, rosie, oprah, pbs, morning joe, sharpton, jackson, madcow, schumer preach to them every day to so obviously they were forced to attack biker. This was not an accident it was domestic terrorism against bikers........ follow the logic.

Po'boy likes this.
  24. Uglytruth

I heard bikers get pussy........

25. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Courtesy on the road applies to everyone. But stuff happens and as a former motorcyclist I have had my share of drivers who apparently aren't looking out for one when they pull out. Still have my bones intact, but at some point I shifted to off-road dirt bikes and never looked back. BTW, you can still hurt yourself on dirt. LOL

stay safe

SC

26. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the guys who passed me were part of that crew, or wannabes. I watched enough of the vid to see that they were near Whipple and Belden in Canton, which isn't too far from where my incident happened. I was madder than a nest of hornets, after they did that. That's why I need to take blood pressure medication. Stupid people like them.

searcher and Uglytruth like this.
  27. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Didn't read all comments yet watched video think the driver reacted in an aggressive fashion after the missed kick by the motorcycle rider. Cyclist should have pulled over IMHO after crash.

28. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    True dat , it was some nasty black ice on Death Hiway 287 at milemarker 419...
    The black Harley has only been down once and that's enough.
    That beast weighs 800+ lbs.
    I used to be able to lift it upright when I was younger....
    Here's the little truck that rolled and broke me up pretty badly...

image.jpg

Lt Dan, searcher and Son of Gloin like this.
  29. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

No doubt the biker got cut off prior. I ride too and almost been killed twice this year already, but I would never retaliate. One guy also cut me off in my car this morning on I-75 because I wasn't merging fast enough for him. He went all the way to the center lane and then back just to F with me. I let him go and I was only going to the next exit. People get crazy behind the wheel sometimes.

30. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Just remember we live in a psych ward and we as individuals don't own the road this way you don't get angry. i get cut off all the time because i drive a van to work and people hate to get stuck behind a van.

31. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

City people are all fecking insane.

EDIT: The guy on the bike is one hell of a good rider. Kicking the car was stupid, yes, but he took one sideswipe from the car that probably injured the hell out of his leg, got control back fast enough to avoid hitting the cement median and then immediately braked hard enough to avoid the car smashing in front of him.
    Through all of that he never laid the bike down or even put a foot down. He just calmly rode away.

Forget everything else and watch him not make one mistake after being hit. Total boss.

Po'boy, Usury, the_shootist and 4 others like this.
  32. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Definitely a good rider, but if he keeps the retaliatory attitude he'll kill somebody or get himself killed, someday.

Usury likes this.
  33. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Perhaps.
    Perhaps the biker may save someone's life too.
    How?
    By knocking some sense , like a new awareness of motorcycles on the road , into an idiot in a cage with 4 wheels.

image.jpg

Bottom Feeder, andial and Lt Dan like this.
  34. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

Is the death of even one biker worth the braggadocio of saying:
    "I got cut off, man, and man, I rode up and kicked that car door, man I'll tellya, it was wicked weird when they went out of control, hit me, knocking me off my bike right under their rear tire, oh boy, I'll tellya, what a ride and the rest I don't really remember"?

Yep, ya only live once
    LOL there's plenty of time to die, and way better reasons to die for, other than on a highway, pissed at someone else, especially if that someone else is an idiot, you're dying for an idiot
    LOL

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than to be good
    That rider was lucky
    That video possibly captured his plate and certainly other evidence we didn't recognize or wasn't presented for our viewing

I'll give it to him, beyond luck, he was good , skills wise, but we can't outrun two-way radios, helicopters or videos

it'd be smart to remember those

I think that video is now called Evidence

Son of Gloin likes this.
  35. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    He knows. He's a soldier!

36. skychief

skychief enthusiastic stacker Silver Miner

Musician
    There are old bikers and there are bold bikers. But there are no old, bold bikers.

Watch for cagers!!

37. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Personally I think bikers on public roads are reeeally stupid (both motorized and not). Thinking it's safe to share the roads with 5-100k vehicles is not a good idea. People don't see other cars at times, much less some pissant bike flying up through cracks nobody would expect some to be coming. I've nearly run over a couple bikers in my time that I didn't see until the last minute, and I consider myself analy cautious and aware.

The best analogy I can think of is it would be like driving a Prius in the Daytona with no special harness, safety gear, seat belts or other safety equipment. Who would do that?

Son of Gloin likes this.
  38. Joe King

So you're saying that because car drivers have attained a critical mass on the streets, everyone else should voluntarily waive their Right to use the same public easement?
    ....or that everyone else should have to conform to the majorities accepted mode of transportation, or else just not be able to go anywhere?

IMHO, everyone should be paying attention and if a bike (motor or otherwise) runs a light in front of you in your car and you can't stop in time, run 'em over. Don't make drastic moves to avoid them, because you might take out some unsuspecting innocent 3rd person who hasn't hurt anybody.
    ...and the ones in cars out there not paying attention, maybe they'll get creamed too. Then they'll learn to pay better attention.

IMHO, there's enough bad behavior on the roads to go around. That's why whenever I ride, it's always 100% within the law, and it just drives some drivers absolutely bonkers with rage when they encounter that. They expect others to waive their Rights, apparently. You'd think they felt an entitlement to the road or something just because someone was stupid enough to give 'em a loan on that POS they're driving.
    ....and they really don't like it when I tell 'em that, either. lol I've been forced to deal with some real doozies out there. Most don't like being called on their bad behavior.

39. .41Dave

.41Dave Seeker Seeker

No only do many drivers not pay attention when they're driving, but sometimes they simply can't see a biker or cyclist. Thanks to federal "safety" standards the A, B and C pillars on newer cars are thick and beltlines are high, often resulting in very poor visibility, especially to the rear. Not to mention the DRL lights almost all cars use now (for "safety" naturally) creates visual clutter, making the lights on a motorcycle less noticable.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Professur likes this.
  40. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

EXACTLY....this is why bikers riding on public roads are idiots, IMO.

You don't see people walking on the streets and for good reason.