1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Mr Heater Portable Buddy -- safe for indoors or not?

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by RunningScared, Sep 23, 2011.

1. RunningScared

RunningScared Seeker Seeker

OK, so I was looking for a solution for emergency heat, and *thought* I found it, but maybe not.

The Portable Buddy says is safe for indoor use. I couldn't figure out how that could be since it burns propane, but there seem to be reports of people using them inside their house (like on Amazon).

http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newsletter/MH9BX_2009_US.pdf
    http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000-Indoor-Safe-Portable/dp/B002G51BZU/ref=pd_sim_hg13

So I picked one up ALONG with a battery operated CO2 detector and some 20lb tanks of propane.

But now I'm reading the instructions and they say it's ONLY safe for indoor use with ventilation -- specifically 9 square inches.

So, if I crack a window (or maybe two), would I be safe?

Any other ideas for emergency heating?

2. Alric

Alric Midas Member Midas Member

I was looking up some information on them and everything seems to say they are safe as long as you have proper ventilation. From my understanding, 'cracking a window' probably isn't sufficient. And honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping in a house with one running.

3. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

The rub is that the 9 inches of ventilation necessary is enough to let all the heat out along with the carbon monoxide.

Canadian-guerilla likes this.
  4. slackercruster

slackercruster Seeker Seeker

In short, yes are safe unless you live in an airtight closet.

If worried, get a digital CO detector to monitor them for a 'test run' to know the limits. Only problem I had was in a truck camper. Pretty air tight. After 4 hours with no vents open CO got to 110 ppm. But this was with a high effic catalytic heater. Buddy may have given off more CO, but did not test in the TC. So, just crack a vent if your in a RV and use em.

Here are some of our back up heating options for NG, electric and propane.

We have 3 - vent free Glo-Warm Blue Flame Heaters back up NG heaters.

http://www.masterdist.net/glowarm/blueflameheaters/index.html

Made 2 manifolds with ball valves that can be added to my forced air gas supply and to the gas line of the water tank. These heaters require no electric. I used some these heaters last fall when a bird got into my forced air furnace and destroyed the turbo fan. Heater man could not get here for 3 days so they took the chill off the 30 degree weather.

Also have 3 - Mr. Heater Portable Buddy space heaters — Model# MH9B that run on propane.

They run for days on a 20 pound cylinder.

If I had to do it over I would buy 3 catalytic propane heaters.

http://www.adventurerv.net/olympian-wave-catalytic-safety-heater-p-1706.html

Much more expensive than blue flame or infrared propane heaters. But, they just sip the propane for much longer burn times. The issue with catalytic is they are delicate and you must cover the catalytic pad or it gets ruined easily if contaminated.

And have 4 Milk House electric heaters

http://www.avenuesupply.ca/images/products/28-059A_BK.jpg

Just wished I had some wood fired back up heat. Never gave wood heat a though until 2007 when I first learned about Peak Oil...then it was too late. Can't afford to move now, so making due with what I got.

The houses nowadays are not set up for peak fossil fuel issues and are pretty much run by NG in my local. Our houses designs could not be worse for trying to heat with wood.

As a last ditch effort, erect a small tent inside with weights instead of stakes to hold the ends down. Or buy a self erecting pop up tent. 2 or 3 of you get in the tent can keep you from freezing.

Get some cold weather down sleeping bags. And be prepared with the proper mountaineering gear to keep you warm...you wont freeze inside your house with this stuff!

OR Windblocker hat
    Seirus Quick Draw hat / face
    Down Vest
    Down coat
    Wicking long underwear
    Sweats pants, crew top with hoodie over crew top.
    Thermal ski pants
    Wool socks
    North Face Down Nuptse Bootie III
    OR Alti mitts
    Power stretch glove liners under the Alti mitts.

5. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

I've got a Big Buddy for use in my RV for auxiliary heat. They are widely used by RV'ers - that's where I found out about them. If I did much cold weather camping, I would hook it up to my propane system. The 1 pound canisters are expensive and mine uses one up in a night (you can refill the 1 lb canisters from your big tank with a fitting - if you put the empty canisters in freezer overnight before refilling, they will fill up more).

6. RichG

RichG GIM Radio Host Platinum Bling

Same here... use it all the time in the winter to heat the RV. I smoke, so when my matches or lighters don't light easy ( if at all) I know it is time to crack a window.

Don't ever sleep with one on in a non-vented space!!! A tent is fine.... but NEVER in a sealed space.

Great product!!! :smokin:

7. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

:shocked_ma::shocked_ma:

8. RunningScared

RunningScared Seeker Seeker

Thanks for all the input!

I'll look into those other heater options as well.

9. elroy

elroy Silver Member Silver Miner

I bought a brand new in the box 30,000 BTU propane, vent free Glo-Warm Blue Flame Heater at a garage sale for $50.

The guy gets close out and discontinued stuff from one of the big box home centers.

He told me he has one in his house and uses it all winter.

I also have a 2 head propane heater that mounts on top of a 20lb tank.

I keep several 20lb tanks and one 100lb tank.

10. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

I have a Buddy. I use it in my hunting trailer (which is 12' long!!)

I put it at the table end, OPEN a table end side window... and light it up.

No problem at all with C02, and the radiant --> directional heat keeps the whole place toasty.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL MR. HEATER BUDDY FOLKS!!

There is an optional in-line filter. By all means, get it. If you do not, your Buddy Heater will sooner or later gum up and fail.

It's cheap.

11. goldie40

goldie40 Silver Member Silver Miner

I've used mine inside, just don't go to sleep with it burning and leave a window cracked popen on each end of the house for fresh air.
    I now have a generator that I hook to the hot air furnace which I think is the safest and the best way to controll the heat. I also have a wood stove back up if no fuel oil is available.

12. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

I used a small Glo-Warm propane catalytic heater in a 20x24 cabin a few years ago and it consistently tripped the CO2 detector. Opening a window lets the heat out and it was not that easy to find a happy medium.

Better than nothing, though.

13. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    My Portable Buddy..."Buddy" the cat.

I keep him nice and fat...puts out some decent BTUs

SC

Attached Files:

Treasure Searcher likes this.
  14. Not Sure

Not Sure Banned

How hard would it be to rig up a make-shift exhaust system, with flashing and HVAC pipe? You wouldn't even have to cut a hole in the wall, just rig up an insert for a sliding window with the exhaust going out there.

The danger of CO is understandably hyped due to the sheer human stupidity that has occurred on occasion. Be smart, use a quality CO detector, and you should be fine with a clean-burning unit. When I met my wife many years ago, she was lower-income, and couldn't afford to repair the NG heater. She ran a portable kerosene unit safely for months, by maintaining it, and venting the house in the (warmer) day.

GOLDZILLA likes this.