1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

My brand-new AK-47

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Unca Walt, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

Roosian-made, NIB with a whole buncha magazines (15 & 30 round), bipod, and a jillion bullets.

Here's a pic of my shootin' buddy with the exact same one:

[​IMG]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, don't that beat the bugs a-humpin'!! :hunt:

Went out to shoot it for the first time before I posted this...

Just got back. Gotta (*groan*) go clean The Beast after this note. So I got there, clapped in a 30-round magazine, and proceeded to shoot at the blue-jillion pie-plates I set up 300' downrange.

That's when I discovered three thangs:

1. My 75-year old peepers aint like they wuz fahrty fargin years ago. Not only that, but since my Weatherby din' even HAVE sights onnit... I am used to watchin' bugs trying to walk across the target face whilst I wuz aiming. Telescopic sight on a very upscale rifle, d'ysee...

2. My 75-year old peepers is (*YAY!!*) still good enuf to put every round in a hooman head at a hunnert yards with The Beast and its open iron sights.

3. The Beast shoots SQUARE fargin bullets!!! Well, at least the bullets make square fargin holes!!
    Lookit:

[​IMG]

Ain't that sumpin' ?? As you can see, MOA is a thing of the past. (*sigh*) But the upside is: I have THOUSANDS of rounds of ammo for the AK-47, and a stack of 30-round and 15-round magazines for it.

Bring it.

Molon Labe

Now if I could only get those beautiful Russian kids to disassemble and reassemble it...

REO 54, gringott and the_shootist like this.
  2. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    First AK yes? Ya know how I know this? From your own keyboard "Gotta (*groan*) go clean The Beast after this note.". Who cleans an AK? First time owners, that's who! Beat that bitch, throw her on the ground. Knock her over. Shoot her unmercifully, she'll love you for it and come back for more! Have fun!

3. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Good luck hitting anything over 200 yards. That said, for urban combat the AK-47 is the go to weapon of choice.

Problem is once you fight free of the inner city zombie zone what are you going to do with that lead launcher when the good o'l boys have stuff that will reach out and touch you at 800+ yards easily?

The only AK I ever saw that could tightly put lead way downrange was an Arsenal AK variant.

4. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    Honestly just the sight of an ak will protect you from many zombies.

mtnman and Unca Walt like this.
  5. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    . My 75-year old peepers aint like they wuz fahrty fargin years ago. Not only that, but since my Weatherby din' even HAVE sights onnit... I am used to watchin' bugs trying to walk across the target face whilst I wuz aiming. Telescopic sight on a very upscale rifle, d'ysee...

That sir is one of the fun things in shooting ........put up a target a day ahead of time...smear some fly attractant (pick your own) on it at judicious locations .......then shoot at the flys .......doesnt make for great target groupings LOL......but its a ton of fun..

Unca Walt likes this.
  6. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I thought you cleaned an AK-47 by pouring sand on it?

Thecrensh, mtnman and Unca Walt like this.
  7. Unca Walt

OH, DEARY DEAR!!!

mtnman, you have just made my fargin YEAR!!! :gracious:

It took me under ten seconds to disassemble that Beast, and an hour and ten minutes to get it together again.

I got the rod halfway out and stuck. I failed "Blocks" in Kindergarten, so if youda been peekin' over my shoulder whilst I wuz cussin'... youda laughed fer sure.

That blowback rod thingy wuz DIRTY. Bleeaachhh!

The pain of getting it all sparkly inside and out was ginormous. From now on, just a coupla Powder Solvent patches and then oil patches. I'll wait until I've put a thousand or more rounds through it before I "clean" it again.

(*snork*) I wuz thinkin' "Mattel Toy" <-- If your fingernails are dirty, the POS MFer will jam...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  8. Unca Walt

That is EVER kewl. I have a backyard shooting range (it ain't set up for warguns -- .22's only). I think I might just try that. I do have spinners. The grandlings love to work them...

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

They love the Russian steel case ammo, but it is very dirty. Shoot 100 rounds and you will get black on your fingers.

Unca Walt likes this.
  10. Unca Walt

Yer spot on there, Garand. But... alla my 'sperience with exciting moments was always within twenty feet. EEK. EEK.

I have "common" scoped deer rifles, so I am good to (perhaps) 200 yards. But if I run into Carlos Hathcock, I'm archives anyway.

Truth is, I was a tad surprised that I could hold 5" at 100 yards with The Beast. Here is another pic (sorry for the icky photography -- that's why I din' post it before.)

This is a pot-pie pan. Six inches rim to rim. All but one of twelve holes are within 4" of each other. Square holes, too. :D

[​IMG]

11. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Fatboy and Unca Walt like this.
  12. Fatboy

Fatboy Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Used Up and Retired Out
    Thanks for posting that. IMO too, it was an excellent video. He spoke of facts that he knew, not fiction or something he heard.

13. Unca Walt

+1 Bro

WOW. I learned a ton with that short video.

More accurately, I UNlearned a ton. :Out:

OK... Fer them whut don't want to watch the video, here's a summary:

1. The AK-47 is accurate as a sumbitch. One of the top 5. <-- TINS

2. It is zeroed to 100 meters at the factory.

3. Ya gotta... Oh, jeez... ya gotta CLEAN IT. :lashing:

14. mtnman

AK info from a couple of AR guys...No thanks.

15. wallew

wallew Gold Member Gold Chaser

Retired - no job, no money
    http://ptr91.com/products/PTR 32 KFR GEN 2?id=52

PTR makes HK91 clones. THIS ONE shoot AK47 ammo...

The rest of the design is pure HK design. I would be interested in how this one shot. Reminds me of the original 'Assault Rifle' Strumgewehr 44. AK47 round is similar in design with the short round in 30 cal...

Might be my next rifle.

The thing is, it uses AK47 mags... so if you got a bundle of them, this MIGHT be a good addition to your collection.

If you don't mind the question, how much did that shooter set you back?

16. Unca Walt

Didn't cost me a cent. Truly.

Lemme 'splain: About 25 or so years ago, the Bank of Boulder had a deal -- you give them $1900 cash. They bought a CD. They kept the CD's interest. They handed you a NIB Weatherby 30.06.

Fifteen years later, the BoB gave me back the $1900, and I got to keep the Weatherby. So the Weatherby din' cost me a dime.

So I traded it for the NIB AK-47 with an unopened crate of Rooshian ammo, a stack of (filled) 30 and 15-round magazines, and a few boxes of upscale ammo.

My guess would be somewhere around $1500 to $1800. At least $800 worth of ammo.

The guy did not want the AK, and was drooling over my Weatherby with its custom-made camo diapers.

LATE EDIT ADD: You triggered me to go check. Here's one someone has a bid on for $1109 (so far). But without the extra mags and without the crate of ammo and boxes of ammo. Oh. And mine has a bipod.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544167811
    [​IMG]
    So... mebbe my SAIKO trade was a tad better than I thought. Closer to $2k.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  17. wallew

Not SAIKO, SAIGA. Made in Izmash. DEFINITELY RUSSIAN.

And yeah, the guy selling that one does currently have $1099 bid. Not sure if it will sell or not.

As things get weirder and weirder, a $400 rifle (1990) selling for $1100 speaks volumes to the level our economy is in bad shape, as people realize the overall value of a good rifle.

And you got ammo with yours. A 1000 round case of Golden Tiger (one of the best rounds for an AK) is selling for $235 plus s&h - call it a total of $300. Plus you got extra high end ammo.
    http://sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/762x39-ammo

30 round mags for between $10 - $20 depending on where you buy them and how they are bundled.

So it looks like you did get a great free AK - now go out and light that sucker up. Buy some more ammo, while it's still cheap. IT USED TO BE $100 a case. Now it's $235. Before it is no longer allowed, it may go as high as $500 a case. And it will be impossible to find, even if you have the $$$...

So as has been said here many time. Stack it deep and high. Make sure you get a spare firing pin or two. No rifle is worth anything with a broken firing pin. Changing them out is way easy.

Edit: THAT RIFLE JUST SOLD WITH A BIN for $1109. Geez, things keep getting weirder and weirder and no one is watching...

So what is my AK collection worth today? No clue, but apparently way more than I thought. Maybe I'll sell my stuff now.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Unca Walt likes this.
  18. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Yeah, like that'll happen

Unca Walt likes this.
  19. Unca Walt

Why the heck did my fingles type "SAIKO"??

20. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Good score Uncle Walt.

Here is my Izhmash......

A Saiga 12

image.jpeg

21. Unca Walt

There It Is, bro... so the one I got has a fargin LOT MORE going for it than just the bare bones... and... ONE THOUSAND ONE HUNNERT AND NINE simoleans!!! YIKES!!!

LATE LATE EDIT ADD:

I just noticed whut's in yer back yard. << envy >> :ouch:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  22. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Yea,

Bunch of Pez dispensers ....

I can hunt them with a apple and hammer out here. We are the only predators here in the islands.

Unca Walt likes this.
  23. mtnman

I remember when mine was a virgin...so long ago...

006.JPG

Unca Walt likes this.
  24. wallew

MTNMAN,

How do you like your Saiga 12 ga? How has it held up? Are there any of the 'reported problesm' with yours. The one that caused me not to purchase one was the 'failure to feed reliably' when they first came out. I figured that someone would figure out a workaround, but it caused me to 'pass' on the weapon.

I've always been curious about a long term report and if you feel your purchase was worth it. Would you do it all over again?

Thx MM

It's a sweet looking weapon for sure.

25. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

IF I were to purchase an AK-47 and own one (BIG IF), I would comment on it's really solid construction and unmatched iron sight accuracy, as well as it's rugged nature where someone (not I, for I don't own one) can bounce tiny 8oz water bottles around on consecutive shots at 100m and make the wooden hand guard smoke after 3 magazines fired quickly on semi.

Unfortunately, being the progressive man that I am, I don't believe in the need to own barbaric firearms. Or ammo. Or PMs. Pffft...I have the gubmint to take care of me.

Professur likes this.
  26. mtnman

She's an AK... Throws lots of lead very quickly! The feeding problem was due to people not reading the instructions. There are two gas settings, one for high brass shells, one for short brass shells. If you shoot low brass shells on the high brass setting, they won't always eject. If you shoot high brass shells on the low setting it may damage your trunnion block. It's really not a practical shotgun, too big and unruly. It's not for shooting trap! But it looks mean and loaded up with 10 rounds of 00buck it'll tear the hell out of whatever's out there! As far as "worth it", Yes every penny. Would I do it again, Yes, I'm an Ak guy...
    Here's a link that explains the feeding problem, with pictures.
    http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/47-gas-tube-adjustment/#entry111

REO 54 likes this.