1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

My testing of the LifeStraw portable filtration device

Discussion in 'S & P Products Ratings/Reviews' started by Ishkabibble, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hi everyone,

I see a lot of posts about Big Berkley, Katadyn, and others, but none on the $20 LifeStraw. After watching several videos about the LifeStraw, I bought a couple.

To start my testing, I hooked a clean inline fuel pump up with the Lifestaw at one end, a clear 5 gallon carboy at the other, and hose between. I used this to filter some rather murky pond water to see what would happen. I was surprised how clear the water was after filtration. I did prefilter it by running the water through a bath towel so that the large debris didn't get in, but what came out looked nothing like what went in. I drank some of the water and found it had taste, but was palatable. I also boiled some of the pond water for 5 minutes and compared the taste. The Lifestraw filtered water was considerably milder, but the flavor of both waters was the same.

The LifeStraw can only be cleaned by blowing back through the filter to empty it. You can't reach the filter like you can in a Big Berkley, so when it's plugged you simply have to grab a new one. This makes prefiltering very important. Because the filter does not remove all taste, I would hesitate to use 'any' water source.

For only $20 I would recommend this system to people on a tight budget and to those building bugout bags for large groups. I would recommend it to backpackers, hikers, and for temporary bug out bags. If you are preparing for TEOTWAWKI, the LifeStraw would be a great device for your day pack, but I'd still recommend a Big Berkley or other large water processing device for home base.

only4teeth, MKS, shipwreck and 2 others like this.
  2. techguy2

techguy2 Meh Gold Chaser

How many gallons are those things good for? Oh and got a link?

3. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

I got mine from EarthEasy.com (http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw). They claim the device is good for 1000 liters, or one person's drinking needs for one year. It's about two ounces in weight, including the hermetically sealed plastic packaging it comes in.

4. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

The site claims a shelf life of only 5 years. Wonder what there is to "go bad."

5. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Rhodium Imam Gold Chaser

Keeping those damn kids off my lawn!
    If it relies on activated charcoal, and it isn't in an airtight bag, then it will adsorb whatever is in the air.

6. mitocondriac

mitocondriac Seeker Seeker

Thanks for the review. What are your thoughts on the burkey?