1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Need input on an idea for making use of a defunct freezer.

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Homestead woman, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Homestead woman

Homestead woman New Member

So Monday morning I discovered one of our freezers had quit working. Luckily I found it before the meat had thawed much and got most of it transferred to our other freezer. We bought another freezer the next day and it was delivered the day after that. The old freezer was supposed to be hauled off when the new one was delivered but the delivery men refused to take it because it had been sitting in our garage, exposed to mice, spiders and such and they didn't want such things getting in their new appliances. Quite understandable. Anyway, they moved it out on the patio for us and a couple of day later as I walked past it, it occurred to me that if it were buried it would be a great storage place for food, ammunition, guns, and 19 cu. ft. of other preps. My question is, what should I wrap the freezer in to help keep it from rusting, and should I line the interior with something? Would mylar be a good material?

2. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

My grandmother used them as storage for dog and horse food to keep bugs and mice out.

3. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Bury it, use it for extended storage of canned good, paint the eterior with tar to prevent rusting, give the seals a liberal coating of plumbers grease to keep them from dry rotting , ammo could also be stored in them assuming its a chest freezzer after you fill it cover the top with large tarp to help keep water out in the event of heavy rains. around the seams of the openings

4. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    You ever see the inside of a unused fridge when the door was left closed? They don't breath and the nastiest stuff will grow with just a little moisture. I might be wrong but you probably should rethink this one. I left a fridge in storage for a year and it was so disgusting I took it to the dump. My climate is very dry.

5. Homestead woman

We used to have an old ice box (a real ice box, not just a refrigerator that we called an ice box) that we stored feed in. After over 80 years of use by us and the people who lived here before us it finally just about rusted away and we (painfully) loaded it up and hauled it to recycling.

6. Homestead woman

I'd wondered how to keep water from leaking in when it rains. Thanks.

7. Homestead woman

Well, that doesn't sound good. Do you think oxygen absorbers would keep stuff from growing inside?

8. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    I kept a little chest freezer for 2 years, I stored tinned food, coffee etc in it. It was dry as a bone and nothing ever grew inside though I did wipe it out with pool chlorine first. After 2 years I emptied it and took it to the dump, why? It was impractical, had all that insulation taking up space, the motor and compressor taking up space. I replaced it with old filing cabinets. Experiment with it if you like but my suggestion is throw it out.