1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help with my PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by silverwood, Jun 2, 2011.

1. silverwood

silverwood Silver Member Silver Miner

Handiman, heavy equipment operator, general constu
    Hi all I was hoping someone could help me with this problem that has just recently started with my computer. I am running Windows Vista. I am having a problem with my scrooling. When I have a browser open and I put my mouse on the scrool bar it acts like it is stuck, but if I go to the top or bottom scrool buttons it scrools just fine. If I go to the key board scrool that works fine also. If I go to my documents and there are a number of files when I open the thing, for example pictures it will scrool to the bottom of the page and I cannot stop it from doing that. It will scroll up but will fall back down again as soon as I let off the mouse, WTF? :y: I have shut down and rebooted but this did not help. Any suggestions?

2. Tang

Tang New Member

What browser?

3. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Yeah, load firefox or google chrome.

Did you do any recent updates? Or maybe you need to?

New programs etc?

4. silverwood

Internet explorer, I do have google chrome installed I just find it hard to adjust as I am so use to Internet explorer with all my favorites book marked. This problem is also in my off line stuff, like my photos, etc. I am doing a complete system scan for virus, spyware, etc it going to take hours though.

5. Book

Book Banned

silverwood and Goldhedge like this.
  6. Goldhedge

Retired
    Your favorites can be imported to chrome and firefox. IE8 seems stable enough. I put it on school cpus. Though they're pushing ie9! now. Grrr. I wish they'd settle on a simple setup. I hear ie10 is in the wings too...

I use malwarebytes to scan for stuff. Another online scanner I like is www.ESET.com free scanner. Installs a small program (you can remove after - or not. I leave it) then uploads a database of the latest nasties and searches your system. It finds things others miss. Ccleaner is great! Let's you back up the registry stuff it cleans out so you can go back if necessary.

Interesting that it's also in the off line stuff too... hmmm scratches head....

It almost sounds mechanical, as if one of the mouse micro switches are stuck? I'd try a different mouse as Book suggested. The simple solution is usually the best.

silverwood and Book like this.
  7. silverwood

Thanks Guys I have a wireless mouse that I accidently dropped on the floor this morning. And when I think back after that is when my scrolling problem appeared. I have tried a bunch of different things to clear up this problem to no avail. I am thinking that Goldhedge and Book are right and it is a mouse related problem. I will borrow my friends mouse and see what that does. Thanks again for all the help and I hope some day I can return it. It is the people here on GIM that make me always come to see what going on at this great site and I have been a member since 2003. It is just nice to know that there is a bunch of people, that I have never met in person, but I still have a friendship with thru the internet. Aloha to all!

Book likes this.
  8. silverwood

Update, brought my friends mouse over and my problem disappeared, so it looks like my mouse had a stroke!:36_1_11: Time go shopping.

Goldhedge likes this.
  9. Book

Book Banned

10. Goldhedge

Retired
    Ha! Logical troubleshooting really works!

I've learned that computers run on smoke. It's true!
    Whenever you let the smoke out, they quit running.

And it's really difficult putting the smoke back in...!