1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Nervous About Traffic Stops? I Am. You Should Be, Too

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Weatherman, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I am absolutely nervous about traffic stops. If a cop needs $20 to buy donuts for the gang, nothing in my wallet could be safe from "asset forfeiture."

Police.jpg

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-29/nervous-about-traffic-stops-i-am-you-should-be-too

My edit of the above is yes to: comply, cooperate, obey, not resist, not argue, not make threatening gestures or statements, avoid sudden movements

But NO to: submit to a search of their person and belongings

I keep several of the notes below with my drivers license. If stopped, I will give one to the police.

Searches.jpg

2. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    Yeah, I roll with a fat wad of cash when I do my job just cuz I want to make sure I have enough money to get home from where I’m at no matter what... and I don’t trust debit/credit cards to work when I need them.

All a cop needs to do is pull me over and say that he smells weed and test some dirt off of my floor mat with a faulty drug test kit and then he can take my cash.

I don’t worry about criminals stealing from me, I worry about the popo asking me why I have so much “drug money”. But hey, at least we will all be safe from drugs.

3. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I normally don't see a cop car for weeks at a time. Last night my vehicle had a burned out headlight. Tried to change it but the previous owner had stripped the release meaning I'd have to pull off the grill to do it .. not something I was taking on on a freezing dark night. Well, had to make a short run and damned if I didn't see 5 cop cars inside half an hour. Didn't get pulled, but that damn bulb got changed this morning.

4. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Confiscation is theft! Plain and simple!

Crockett, mtnman, Aurumag and 4 others like this.
  5. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

Bout 2 weeks ago I bought an old 1989 f 150 to run around the property and grab firewood. No title so just took the plates off my f 150 and ran with it. A friend that went with me was driving. Stopped at a gas station and 3 sheriffs were there all gassing up and another across the street. ..After gassing up the truck wouldn't start. Was very cold and the battery was weak so got some jumper cables and got her going and got out of there. We both had a good laugh about it though. The sherriffs were all very nice. It's not them I care about , its the asshole state troopers. Overpaid revenue collectors, living off the taxpayer teet, treating the same taxpayers like sheet.

I'm kinda surprised the asset forfeiture hasnt made it to the SC yet. seems like a no brainer when your property is stolen without a warrant or any evidence of wrong doing. Pretty sure the constitution states that your to get a trial in any matter over 20.00 worth of your property.

6. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Same here in the back woods of the northeast. The local cops are great and just regular guys. The State police are gustapo with their heads firmly tucked up their asses! Tax collectors are a good description.

GOLDBRIX, searcher and Lt Dan like this.
  7. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

Local and State officers are hired aka: "bought and paid for".
    Sheriffs are elected, by the people.

Never break two(2) laws at the same time.

SLV,
    One does not rob a bank with tail lights out; or speed with PM's, dope, guns, no insurance, kidnapped women, bald tires, & bags of cash on board.
    Essentially being invisible is best when speeding, or if DL, Ins, Registration, etc has run out and you know it... like when we were kids.
    I always speed, driving is fun, but a singular task absent of income mostly.
    So reduce travel time with speed, but not psycho levels.
    Clean car, all lights work, no bumper stickers, no bling attachments, common color, good tires, radar jammer/detector, and great brakes.
    Mind you I am not normal. Radio not on, no phone or texting performed, drive the road not follow the road, proactive defensive positioning with auto, and consider ALL others a liability.
    Close to 200,000 motorcycle miles will do that to some. Most of them before texting death drivers which have turned MC riding into combat, sadly.
    Texting kills.
    Peace.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Goldhedge, Aurumag, dacrunch and 7 others like this.
  8. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

You lost me here.

9. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Only thing worse than a state trooper is a...

10. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

Cop to me: where are you going?

Me to cop: Same direction that you are

Cop to me: Do you have any guns, knives, etc........

Me: They fell in the creek

Cop: I see, you are going to be a smart ass

Me: And you are going to be a cop

I'm not arguing with some halfwit cop. I'm going to drag is ass in front of a judge on his day off and then have my fun

In the mean time, you can have smart ass or silence

arminius, Son of Gloin and smooth like this.
  11. Mujahideen

Silver stacker
    Lying to a cop can get you in trouble.

12. DodgebyDave

First, he has to prove that I'm lying

13. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

madhu, Son of Gloin, solarion and 3 others like this.
  14. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    I was pulled over by a Ohio SHP trooper early one morning on my way to work, about two years ago. He said that my right wheels had crossed over the lines on the side of the road, which was BS. I had a can of diet root beer and was pulling from it while I was driving and I'm sure he saw that, being right behind me and thought it might be a can of barley pop, so he pulled me over and used the "wheels excuse" to do so.

Anyway, I always turn on my dome light and put my wallet up on the dash, so I don't make officer/trooper nervous reaching for stuff in my pockets. Everything's clear that way and I don't get shot, which is important to me. He sees I'm not drinking suds, but it turns out my DL is a week overdue, as I'd just passed my birthday the week before. So, I thought he was just going to give my wallet back and let me go to work, but NOooo, as John Belushi used to say. He could have just given me a warning about the license, but I ended up with a $105.00 ticket for expired DL.

My brother and his boy are buddies with some OSHP. Their buddies told them they're under strict orders to never let anyone go for anything, ever. It's all about income/revenue. A guy I worked with was pulled over about the same time and he also had an expired DL. But, he was pulled over by a sheriff's deputy. The guy said to him, "get this fixed today." No ticket.

Ensoniq, Crockett, searcher and 4 others like this.
  15. chrisflhtc

chrisflhtc Site Supporter Site Supporter

The only lying to a cop that will get you in trouble is if the lie results in an investigation being initiated. Causing a false investigation is the lie that brings trouble.
    Chris

16. Mujahideen

Silver stacker
    Lying to a cop can also get you in trouble because the lie can be used against you in court.

It’s better to not give them any ammo to work with. If they ask questions, ID yourself if required by law, and state that if you’re under investigation that you will remain silent and not answer any questions and that you want a lawyer... otherwise ask if you’re free to go.

What were you doing here? I want my lawyer present if I’m under investigation.
    You’re not being investigated
    Am I free to go?

They will have to either detain you and stop asking you questions or let you go.

There is no need to play games with cops by making up stories.

Ensoniq, D-FENZ, searcher and 4 others like this.
  17. dacrunch

dacrunch Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Always keep a "receipt" for amount of "cash" you're traveling with... Even if it's an old bank withdrawal from 2 years ago, as long as it "covers" the amount you're carrying. "Proof of legal money" should be harder for them to "forfeit", imo... I don't like traveling without a few grand cash, just in case the hacker/EMP/etc. SHTF happens when I'm on the road, no ATMs etc...

Crockett, searcher, smooth and 2 others like this.
  18. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

I have gotten off of a number of violations while not being a drunk and obnoxious azzhole.
    In my younger years, I knew every local yokel because they had to deal with me often. As one cop said, we will treat me as good or bad as I treat them.
    Light out while cruising through a stop sign with 4 kids not buckled up got me a light out ticket from a state trooper of all people. But have a head light out on a van at midnight and find yourself surrounded. Cops don't like vans.

@ SOG, the state used to send reminders about a license renewal but no longer. I think they think they can make more money by writing you up for, gasp, an expired license.

Son of Gloin likes this.
  19. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

“It’s been complete hell”: how police used a traffic stop to take $91,800 from an innocent man
    The money was supposed to go toward buying a legendary music studio. Now his dreams are on hold.
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/1/16686014/phillip-parhamovich-civil-forfeiture

Citizens can basically keep their mouth shut and not answer or say they don't understand, Forest Gump style. And they can ask if they are under arrest? And ask what the charges are. Deny a search.

Crockett, searcher and Son of Gloin like this.
  20. Treasure Searcher

Treasure Searcher Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Tips when avoiding/getting pulled over:

1. Keep your hands on the steering wheel after being stopped. Nothing spooks a cop more than hidden hands.
    2. If you have a concealed carry permit and are carrying in the vehicle, state that to the officer.
    3. Don't say anything more than you have to.
    4. Keep calm and do not be confrontational. If you even look like you are resisting, you may be tazed.
    5. When I was in college, I took two criminal justice courses. There are several types of cops. Some want to help people, some want to be an authority figure, etc.
    Unless you know the cop, be cautious. You probably can read his demeanor, but don't be assume they are friendly.
    6. When you are at the gas station and are waiting for your vehicle to fill with gas/fuel, walk around your vehicle and check the lights. If you do not notice any lights out, a cop will.
    Don't give them a probable cause to pull you over.
    7. Observe the speed limits. School crossings especially. Also, when traveling in another state, your out of state license plates will attract cops. Drive the speed limit. Where I live,
    speeding, out of state vehicles are considered operated by drug runners. Cops are licking there chops for those speeding, out of state vehicles on the Interstate. Drug runners have
    been busted with a car load of drugs, just because they were caught speeding.

While we are on this subject: Going to Canada? If so, you do not want to have any NRA decals on your vehicle. Canadian Customs/Border Patrol just love to search a US vehicle with
    a NRA sticker. Nothing says "gun owner" more than a NRA decal and Canada is strict on firearms.

21. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

I am with you on that.
    Many times I have received a break, once from criminal speeding. Cop asked me "What's you record look like" I said "A mile long"
    He came back without even a written warning.
    On campus pulled over completely drunk and told to drive to parking lot as I was on the pathway.
    Chief of my town pulled me over for passing on right, a motorhome on my MC, he said "Sit in the car with me and make it look good, then get going." ha !
    Now there are many more in other states and other circumstances.
    I am appreciative to those who have been lenient or kind or down right forgiving !
    But I have met the lying, fabricating, devious wankers as well.
    Do those not realize, badges do not earn friendship, unless you follow the law.
    Spent $2600 getting charges dropped(vehicular) by jury from one lying cop whose brother OD'd on drugs.. he sold him!
    If I am breaking it and you bust me, so be it.
    But please, no BS, you make me run(in vehicle or on MC) whenever I think you are going to turn.
    Did yesterday, even though I know he did not have the radar on, he was turning and just might, make up a story.
    SEEE YAZZZZ ! I am outta here.
    Not "outta here" when traffic around, kids, etc. Not, Worth. It. If someone else is harmed. My Law.

22. Mujahideen

Silver stacker
    When I get pulled over at night I turn on the map lights, roll the window down and shut the car off and put my hands on the wheel Immediately.

So far I’ve only had one cop who was clearly roided up go kinda crazy on me but even he eventually calmed down because he looked stupid screaming at me when I’m calm and not doing anything.

23. hammerhead

My favorite,
    What seems to be your problem, officer?

Mujahideen likes this.
  24. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    How about income taxation? Or is that just paying my fair share...

25. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Define income! Define your fair share!

arminius likes this.
  26. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

"drag (h)is ass in front of a judge on his day off...".

DbD - You just put him in a pay status, and possibly O.T. which will be time and one half, = $$$$ for him.

Cops are Officers of the Court just like the Judge, Prosecutor and the Defense Counsel.

Make sure you have it together when you go "play" in their backyard. Jus' sayin'

Hystckndle and Someone_else like this.
  27. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

Yeah, that's something to consider. But if he is somewhere else that day, it could be to your advantage.

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  28. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

Whatever you say, do NOT do what a brother of a friend of mine did after he got pulled over after a drink or two:

Officer: “Can I see your license and registration?”
    Him: “Can I shoot your gun?”

R.

Mujahideen and Son of Gloin like this.
  29. keef

keef Пальто Crude Platinum Bling

Retired Hoser
    You guys in the country have it easy. Here they have the 'plate cops'. Squad cars with automatic scanners checking every plate on the road for violations/fines. Their quota is 10,000 plates a month and as much money they can raise for the Dept as possible.

If there is no money in it, they would rather be on a cell or a lap top and totally avoid public contact.

searcher likes this.
  30. DodgebyDave

Just for the record I haven't been pulled over for 30 years................plenty of other fools to keep the cops busy

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  31. hammerhead

Those feckers are set up on either end of Main Street and we are just a town of under 6000 residents. But, we are also The Gateway to the Berkshires so there is a lot of traffic from people not from around these here parts.

32. kiffertom

kiffertom Seeker Seeker

does this add a little to the discussion?

The list of jobs with the highest rates of psychopathy

1. CEO
    2. Lawyer
    3. Media (TV/Radio)
    4. Salesperson
    5. Surgeon
    6. Journalist
    7. Police Officer
    8. Clergy Person
    9. Chef
    10. Civil Servant

33. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    If you keep your mouth shut, you can't lie. Never talk to the cops. Just look them in the eye and smile.

Lt Dan and Mujahideen like this.
  34. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    I have a trailer hitch so I keep a trailer light plug hanging over my tag. Keeps the scanners and cameras from reading my plate and looks totally innocent.

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  35. Mujahideen

Silver stacker
    You gotta invoke your rights otherwise the cops will try to run over you.

36. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Nowadays,
    Anytime you are pulled,
    And you are NOT arrested,
    Consider it a bonus.
    Just saying.

searcher likes this.
  37. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    "Am I free to go, am I being detained ?"
    " I do not consent to any searches "
    If it comes to that.
    (NOTE: Complete silence is now being considered by many many many jurisdictions as a form of resistance or obstruction )
    Just saying.

Dashcam, thats my own Christmas present.

38. Treasure Searcher

Treasure Searcher Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Come on! Post Office Managers and Supervisors have to be number one.

39. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

My sentiments exactly. I have driven a silver colored 2005 turbocharged Subaru Forester XT for the last 10 years. It doesn’t look like much to most but it is considered a sleeper car (see #6). Cops rarely give me a second look so I love the car as I am an unapologetic leadfooted driver. My driving record is clean but shouldn’t be. That said I rarely speed when driving out of state as the license plate is a pull me over red flag.

I want to add that as a hunting enthusiast the car is also the best woods mobile I have ever had. It has taken me nearly everywhere and further than all the other four-wheel drive vehicles I have had. The symmetrical all-wheel drive is awesome. Punch the gas in sand and all the tires will throw sand, rare is the four-wheel drive that will do that. And because of its small stature I can drive the narrow and low overhead two tracks that no other truck can traverse. An awesome inconspicuous vehicle.

I still don’t know what I will do when the time comes to put the car to rest.

Edit: added picture as the link above is incorrect for a 2005
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  40. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Tao of Law is a really good site for how the legal system works.

They know the law well.

searcher likes this.