1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Nervous About Traffic Stops? I Am. You Should Be, Too

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Weatherman, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    I have a seven year old Forester. Love it. I have the understanding that a Subaru will go twenty years, if you take good care of it.

Crockett likes this.
  2. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    haha, used to b that a '85 or so style ranger had the tags down where the bumper obscured them. I was stopped one night and told I was in violation because of all the oil and dirt covering the rear plate. Did I clean it off? NO.

Lt Dan likes this.
  3. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

I guess that’s entirely possible where winter road salt is not used. There is a salt mine >1100ft under the city of Detroit (with over 100 miles of underground mine roads) so road salt is economical to use here in southern Michigan.

I have “fixed” visible body cancer for the last two years, using my questionable backyard bodywork skills in an attempt to preserve its good looks LOL. Right now, the main area of cancer is in the upper front area of the rear driver side wheel well. Eventually I will lose the battle as rust colonies deconstruct the structural integrity underneath the car.

I have exceeded 310,000 miles on the odometer, so it is conceivable there would be 500K to 600K miles on the car if it were able to reach 20 years old. I have heard of Subaru engines with that many miles but don’t know if any of them were turbocharged.

Maintenance Tips

I use Mobil-1 and change the engine oil every 4-5K. I would probably go to 7-8K if my car were not turbocharged.

I have an automatic transmission and every 20K I simply remove the drain plug from transmission pan and remove the trans filter (Subaru’s have spin-on trans filters) and refill. I can get ~5qts to drain out by jacking the car up on the passenger side which is around 60% of the total amount of fluid in the trans plus torque convertor. Do this and your automatic trans will last . . . forever. A dealer or other shop will simply remove the drain plug and refill with 4qts and charge $120.00 or more - $120.00 for 4qts of oil? what a rip off. Note that they will not change the filter either because it is considered a non-maintenance item. Since the filter is $5.00 I say why not change it? The trans fluid is an oil, the filter is an oil filter, a no-brainer to me.

Also change the front transaxle and rear differential with a synthetic oil at least every 100K or so. You will notice that everything in the driveline tightens up and the car feels like it was when new.

And of major importance - make sure the timing belt (including water pump, idler pulleys, and belt tensioner if it is leaking hydraulic fluid) is changed per schedule every 105K miles as Subaru’s have interference engines. I have safely gone 10K over the recommended interval a couple times but doing so is a risk.