1. All on hold waiting for a tax plan announcement
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Am. Gold is down 1 to 1266, while Silver is down 2 to 1757 after a late collapse yesterday. Crude is down 15 to 4941. The USD is up 31 to 9896.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/22/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1289.10-- UP 0.60 Silver $17.85-- down 66 Oil $49.62-- down 3.80 USD $99.88 -- down 58

New CIA Director Labels WikiLeaks ‘Non-State Hostile Intelligence Service’

Discussion in 'Politics Forum (Local/National/World)' started by SilverCity, Apr 14, 2017.

1. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    WASHINGTON —

The new U.S. spy chief blasted the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks in his first public comments, labeling it a hostile intelligence organization out to damage the United States as much as any terrorist organization.

“It’s time to call out WikiLeaks for what it really is — a nonstate, hostile intelligence service often abetted by state actors like Russia,” CIA Director Mike Pompeo said Thursday.

“It overwhelmingly focuses on the United States while seeking support from anti-democratic countries and organizations,” he added, calling the celebration of WikiLeaks in some circles “perplexing and deeply troubling.”

https://www.voanews.com/a/cia-wikileaks-nonstate-hostile-intelligence-service/3809868.html

Who appointed this guy?

SC

TAEZZAR, D-FENZ and andial like this.
  2. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

In today's paper:

Why WikiLeaks publishes
    • By Julian Assange
    • 17 hrs ago

On his last night in office, President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivered a powerful farewell speech to the nation -- words so important that he'd spent a year and a half preparing them. "Ike" famously warned the nation to "guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."

Much of Eisenhower's speech could form part of the mission statement of WikiLeaks today. We publish truths regarding overreaches and abuses conducted in secret by the powerful.

Our most recent disclosures describe the CIA's multibillion-dollar cyberwarfare program, in which the agency created dangerous cyberweapons, targeted private companies' consumer products and then lost control of its cyber-arsenal. Our source(s) said they hoped to initiate a principled public debate about the "security, creation, use, proliferation and democratic control of cyberweapons."

The truths we publish are inconvenient for those who seek to avoid one of the magnificent hallmarks of American life -- public debate. Governments assert that WikiLeaks' reporting harms security. Some claim that publishing facts about military and national security malfeasance is a greater problem than the malfeasance itself. Yet, as Eisenhower emphasized, "Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

Quite simply, our motive is identical to that claimed by the New York Times and The Post -- to publish newsworthy content. Consistent with the U.S. Constitution, we publish material that we can confirm to be true irrespective of whether sources came by that truth legally or have the right to release it to the media. And we strive to mitigate legitimate concerns, for example by using redaction to protect the identities of at-risk intelligence agents.

Dean Baquet, executive editor of the New York Times, defended publication of our "stolen" material last year: "I get the argument that the standards should be different if the stuff is stolen and that should influence the decision. But in the end, I think that we have an obligation to report what we can about important people and important events."

David Lauter, Washington bureau chief of the Los Angeles Times, made a similar argument: "My default position is democracy works best when voters have as much information as possible . . . And that information often comes from rival campaigns, from old enemies, from all sorts of people who have motives that you might look at and say, 'that's unsavory.' "

The media has a long history of speaking truth to power with purloined or leaked material -- Jack Anderson's reporting on the CIA's enlistment of the Mafia to kill Fidel Castro; the Providence Journal-Bulletin's release of President Richard Nixon's stolen tax returns; the New York Times' publication of the stolen "Pentagon Papers"; and The Post's tenacious reporting of Watergate leaks, to name a few. I hope historians place WikiLeaks' publications in this pantheon. Yet there are widespread calls to prosecute me.

President Thomas Jefferson had a modest proposal to improve the press: "Perhaps an editor might begin a reformation in some such way as this. Divide his paper into 4 chapters, heading the 1st, 'Truths.' 2nd, 'Probabilities.' 3rd, 'Possibilities.' 4th, 'Lies.' The first chapter would be very short, as it would contain little more than authentic papers, and information." Jefferson's concept of publishing "truths" using "authentic papers" presaged WikiLeaks.

People who don't like the tune often blame the piano player. Large public segments are agitated by the result of the U.S. presidential election, by public dissemination of the CIA's dangerous incompetence or by evidence of dirty tricks undertaken by senior officials in a political party. But as Jefferson foresaw, "the agitation [a free press] produces must be submitted to. It is necessary, to keep the waters pure."

Vested interests deflect from the facts that WikiLeaks publishes by demonizing its brave staff and me. We are mischaracterized as America-hating servants to hostile foreign powers. But in fact I harbor an overwhelming admiration for both America and the idea of America. WikiLeaks' sole interest is expressing constitutionally protected truths, which I remain convinced is the cornerstone of the United States' remarkable liberty, success and greatness.

I have given up years of my own liberty for the risks we have taken at WikiLeaks to bring truth to the public. I take some solace in this: Joseph Pulitzer, namesake of journalism's award for excellence, was indicted in 1909 for publishing allegedly libelous information about President Theodore Roosevelt and the financier J.P. Morgan in the Panama Canal corruption scandal. It was the truth that set him free.

Enjoying our content? Become a Bucks County Courier Times subscriber to support stories like these. Get full access to our signature journalism for just 44 cents a day.

Julian Assange is editor of WikiLeaks.

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes....cle_b16cda54-a647-5c54-8c31-45754a1ca32d.html

Merlin, Goldhedge, TAEZZAR and 2 others like this.
  3. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

WELL, Somebody needs to watch the watchers.

Alton, searcher, D-FENZ and 4 others like this.
  4. Aurumag

Aurumag Seeker of Truth and Justice Midas Member Site Supporter

Illuminator
    Same old song and dance with a new performer.

If it has three letters, flush it thrice, just to be safe.

Alton, Mr Paradise, Glasgow and 4 others like this.
  5. Garyw

Garyw Silver Member Silver Miner

tired and retired
    How dare he badmouth one of my hero's

Aurumag likes this.
  6. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Maybe the CIA is jealous that Wikileaks is doing a better job at spying than they are?

Alton, Uglytruth, Aurumag and 7 others like this.
  7. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    CIA is pissed off that people TRUST Wikileaks with information and not them.

Alton, Uglytruth, TAEZZAR and 6 others like this.
  8. searcher

GOLDBRIX, Alton, oldgaranddad and 2 others like this.
  9. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter

CIA is scum.

Alton, solarion, Zed and 2 others like this.
  10. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Great thread. Like minds here think alike. Hopefully we are right and not just self-delusional.

GOLDBRIX, Alton, searcher and 3 others like this.
  11. andial

If you bought that shemitah book and believed it then you are a delusional fecker. If you think for yourself go with facts then you will be right.

Zed, searcher, TAEZZAR and 1 other person like this.
  12. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    I don't think many people put much stock in what the CIA says

Zed and TAEZZAR like this.
  13. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

I hope you are correct !

14. Aurumag

Illuminator
    Now that Pompeo is the captain of lies, he must defend his bastion of institutionalized deceit by vilifying the individual who best exemplifies exposure by light and scrutiny of the very tools which have been used against humanity.

It is the insinuation of "truth" which the three letters carefully place into the MSM, and thus the minds of the people i.e. airwave effluent like CNN

For my entire life, CIA has been running around unaccountably destroying nations and propagating lies for the sake of the globalist agenda.

Now that Assange and his network of hackers has exposed the truth of their nefarious actions, he is the enemy?

Nay, Julian Assange is an heroic whistleblower who is literally risking his life to expose the lies and the liars.

This is the nature of warfare, and truth is the first casualty.

The truth exists, but it is hidden, twisted, vilified and convoluted by myriad lies, most of which have been engineered, vetted and propagated by agencies of evil like CIA, NSA, CFR and their ilk.

If ever there was an aptly named swamp in dire need of draining with a follow-up MOAB, it is foggy bottom.

A perennially flushing toilet would be an appropriate memorial.

solarion, RealJack, andial and 4 others like this.
  15. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

That is how I see, too !

Aurumag and Zed like this.
  16. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    and somehow we've lost this prosperity....

17. oldgaranddad

I made a small change...

...and somehow we've willfully lost this...

Goldhedge and TAEZZAR like this.
  18. TAEZZAR

IDK, it could also be that it was taken from us while we "slept".

Those of us that are "elders" can remember the days of minimal government, at all levels.
    We put our heads down & our asses up, went to work, thinking that the government would also do their job.
    Well, that position was just too irresistible for the government !!

GOLDBRIX, sandblaster, andial and 4 others like this.
  19. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    IMO he is right, its not 1950 anymore we have all grown up to be a little more cynical.

GOLDBRIX and TAEZZAR like this.
  20. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

The conspiracy theorists in me thinks Wikileaks might be a psyop.

TAEZZAR and the_shootist like this.
  21. oldgaranddad

It could have been at the start but with a lot of CIA creations they tend to grow a mind of their own over time. It would not be the first time the servant took down its master.

22. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    I actually agree with you. I'm tired of being duped as much as I have. Over the last year everything I took as gospel in the political, scientific and social world has been shattered and destroyed. Nothing makes sense anymore and I've gone into 'doubt mode' I doubt EVERYTHING now until I see definitive irrefutable data. As you can imagine, I doubt pretty much everything until it's been proven as fact! I sense a profound change in Wikileaks over the past 6-8 months....like there was a different guy at the helm.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  23. the_shootist

Architect
    a little?????????

24. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    I was born in England, we tend to understate dear chap. This always causes confusion with Americans, you guys tend to over statement. Aussies understate as well, but in a far dryer cynical fashion... well they did, the new generations tend to be US reality TV clones... they are just as obvious as a train approaching @ night.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    searcher and Aurumag like this.
  25. Aurumag

Illuminator
    Please expound on this opinion.

I agree that Assange and his network really ramped up their efforts in order to ensure that HRC was not elected POTUS, and there were a few murders.

Perhaps the same group, but the stakes were higher?

TAEZZAR and Zed like this.
  26. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Assange dislikes Trump quite equally, I think he simply produced what he had and there is just more 'stuff' on the Clintons due to their extended time in the petrie dish of politics.

GOLDBRIX and Aurumag like this.
  27. oldgaranddad

Is Assange's dislike of Trump genuine or just posturing? Assange fully knows that any support for Trump will make a good portion of his contributors turn off the spigots financially and informationally. What looks like in public is sometimes totally different in private. Only the actions in hindsight prove the real motives.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  28. Aurumag

Illuminator
    I do not disagree, but I also recall Assange stating that he found and released information on Trump also, but it was nothing compared to what he discovered about Bill and HRC.

Of course, this may have had something to do with his bias:

Hillary Clinton on Assange "Can't we just drone this guy?"

TAEZZAR and oldgaranddad like this.
  29. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

A HISTORY OF INTEL ACCORDING TO SNOWDEN (14 min. but very interesting):

solarion and Aurumag like this.
  30. latemetal

latemetal Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Archer and CIA...

31. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Who really knows?! I guess he must be seen as agnostic, neutral, unbiased etc in order to keep his position tenable. I like to think that they publish the facts without fear or favour, hopefully this is so and I bet that Trump, for all his faults, is way cleaner than Hillary.

Alton, TAEZZAR and GOLDBRIX like this.
  32. searcher

Feds will CHARGE Wikileaks founder Julian Assange seven years after his site first started publishing classified information
    • US government readies charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange
    • WikiLeaks has published thousands of classified US government documents
    • Assange is currently holed up in Ecuador's embassy in London
    • He is wanted for an alleged rape in Sweden, though he denies the charges
    • Last month, WikiLeaks published CIA documents about secret hacking methods
    • CIA chief Mike Pompeo called WikiLeaks 'a hostile intelligence service'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4430940/US-prepares-charges-seek-arrest-WikiLeaks-Assange.html#ixzz4esU8otDh
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Zed and Alton like this.
  33. TAEZZAR

WHAT ABOUT KLINTON ?????

Zed, Aurumag, Joe King and 5 others like this.
  34. GOLDBRIX

"What a tangle web we weave when first we practice to deceive ". - Walter Scott.
    I'm talking to you Fed .Gov and the alphabet (Not Really) Intel agencies.

Chance this would not have become front page news IF .gov would have stayed out of "We the People" Rights.
    Fed .gov made "We the People" the enemy.
    It is now obvious WHO is the Enemy Within and it aint the American People.

solarion, dacrunch and TAEZZAR like this.
  35. dacrunch

dacrunch Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

"a hostile intelligence organization out to damage the United States as much as any terrorist organization"

= Sounds like any and ALL our "3 letter agencies", unfortunately for the future of my grand-kids...

36. bemac

bemac Midas Member Midas Member

I warned people Trump did not respect the 1st Amendment. Hell, he said it himself. "Foolish people."

Zed likes this.
  37. andial

Your wrong mac.

38. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Best line in the piece, searcher.

39. bemac

bemac Midas Member Midas Member

I'm never wrong. Except when it comes to silver, pfffft.

Zed and andial like this.
  40. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

It was Trump's words in conflict with the 4th and 5th that really got my ire up before the election. The choice between he and she who shall remain nameless was still a no-brainer however.

Aurumag and bemac like this.