1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

New "Death of Liberty" Silver

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell Area' started by Scratchmo, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Scratchmo

Scratchmo Site Supporter Site Supporter

coin designer, engraver
    Back in 2010 I posted a picture on this forum of a Peace Dollar I had carved into an art coin I titled "The Death of Liberty". The photo apparently went viral to some extent and inspired a large number of engravers all over the world to start carving skulls on all types of coins, U.S. and foreign.

I also received a lot of requests to create a struck version that could be purchased as a silver bullion piece. I am proud to say after 6 years, I've finally done just that. I am working with the Intaglio Mint in Colorado to produce and market these.

Here's a link to their website...
    https://intagliomint.com/product/special-edition-1ozt-999-fine-silver-death-of-liberty/

I also want to mention that these images are of the first one struck and the rims are not fully struck up. All the others are fully struck but this is the best image I have at hand currently.

ag-se-one-ozt-deathofliberty-obverse-2000.jpg
    The original carving was not altered on the reverse side, but as long as I was engraving a new set of dies, I made some changes to the original wording (shown below) The translation of the Latin "IRIDES AD OMNES" means "RAINBOWS FOR ALL". Of course, the original PEACE inscription was changed to "PIECE BY PIECE" on the crumbling eagle's perch. A more subtle symbolism is the absence of any fruit on the olive branch.

ag-se-one-ozt-deathofliberty-reverse-2000.jpg
    Shown below is the original carving I did on a 19twentysomething Peace Dollar..
    3399_1164576080239823_5554849156706015452_n.jpg

The folks at Intaglio Mint have created positive, master dies (hubs) which I have touched up and will be offering other variations on this theme in the near future. All engraving is done with hand held push gravers by myself.

2. Scratchmo

coin designer, engraver
    I posted this under another heading by mistake. Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to delete the one under metals...

3. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

Amazing how many new, alternative rounds there are being produced out there. Awesome!

4. Scratchmo

coin designer, engraver
    Before I left the Intaglio Mint last week, I had Timothy Grat press some hubs from the hand engraved master dies.

Working in the positive, I'm able to clean up the feathers on the eagle, add the hole in his beak, etc. At this point I could have also cleaned up the lettering by stoning them all evenly, but I opted to remove all the lettering so that they can add different inscriptions and mottos so we can make different varieties. At the same time, they will also put in the sun rays on the reverse die. They can do that so much more quickly and accurately with their state of the art laser engraving machine, that new varieties could be produced with relative ease. In fact, I'd be open to let other people make their own custom creations using these hubs for the designs and create your own limited editions using whatever inscriptions you like.

Shown below is the positive hub. Before they impressed this, I carved more away on the master die to give her more cheek bone and smaller eye socket. Then I added more folds into the Liberty cap to better imitate the original design on the Peace dollar. Now I can use this to make other versions, some political, some not so much.
    IMG_0578.jpg IMG_0579.jpg

birddog, itchy166 and Aurumag like this.
  5. Scratchmo

coin designer, engraver
    Here is the latest version. FixIsInOBV.jpg FixIsInREV.jpg

gringott likes this.
  6. Scratchmo

coin designer, engraver
    The new version will probably be available soon through a bullion dealer. I changed some of the legends and mottos and generally cleaned up all the engraving. The original version is still offered for a limited time through the Intaglio Mint at $25 each or $450 for a roll of 20.

gringott likes this.