1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

NEW! Extended Family & SHTF - a recipe for disaster

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by SilverCity, Mar 21, 2017.

1. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    (language warning)

This topic has been discussed in years past. Here it is again from John Lord's perspective...

A former marine, he is a paid consultant and contingency planner.

I have watched a number of his videos. He provides good ideas sound reasoning.

This one is a hard topic, but worth thinking about.

Shalom

SC

searcher likes this.
  2. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    John of "Prepared Mind" channel. Perhaps he should cut back on the scotch, cigars and cheese doodles and work on preparing his body in case his bullet-proof 4*4 brakes down on the way to the BOL and he has to hike across a couple of mountains. Seriously, the internet is infested with "experts" now, all sitting on their bums in front of webcams (This one in a mobile home it looks) telling us how to save our lives in a SHTF scenario. If anyone knows one of these blokes who has video of actually doing preps outside under the sun please post a link.

He shows us how he buys silver, in lovely plastic capsules. Sure I did that once, way back in the Noob days, and that's what he is, a big fat NOOB trying as best he can to get illiterate noobs to provide him an income stream.

His whole rant about how we should nag our extended family about preparing for the worst is just another example of these net-experts plagiarizing old ideas. It's not a particularly good idea either. The truth is your family is mostly not going to believe you, and won't prepare, but they'll sure as hell show up at your door when they're hungry, now that they know you have vast supplies. It's a nice concept though, it feeds into the bleeding heart mentality of the average couch potato.

How do I handle relatives? I tell them once, generally, about the dangers ahead, not mentioning supplies to survive. I feel them out basically, look to see if they are open-minded to such things. In 9 out of 10 cases I met a brick wall and then shut my mouth, changed the subject. That's the limit of my responsibility and after the seed is planted I shut my mouth. I told them all over a decade ago and haven't mentioned it since. Only one actually changed their lifestyle but not into what I could classify as a prepper mentality one. The truth is very few people escape disasters like the one facing us.

Garyw likes this.
  3. tom baxter

Retired now
  4. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

Yes, I asked/told 'em as well.
    Now, if and when they appear in position of need I am prepared.
    Question 1; What have you brought or have to contribute.
    We all know the answer.
    Small 3 day package of supplies given and .40 sig suggestively displayed.
    Smile and say G'day.

Note. Ol' Shill Grylls was busted for "cheating" on his survival episodes.
    Helicopter fly outs for the night to hotels, food and drink.
    Before I heard this, I was impressed by his body showing zero signs of dehydration as he over exerted in arid climates.
    Next day he looked water replenished exceptionally so around the eyes, and sound of his voice.
    But hey, he's a dry humored Brit-holio right?
    Specially trained to talk talk talk talk as if he knows it all, Britwordisis.
    He is a little baby sociopath, but made money of the not so bright.
    Not certain if he realizes Britain is a tiny island, with a Yuuuge ego.
    The sun has set already Shyllis, upon your empire.

SilverCity likes this.
  5. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

:beer:

SilverCity likes this.
  6. searcher

Grylls apologises for 'fake' show
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7304617.stm

Is Bear Grylls’ Show ‘The Island’ Fake? Four Castaways Exposed As Trained Professionals
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/16/bear-grylls-the-island-fake-show-new_n_5335879.html

Bear Grylls in new fakery row as producers admit spicing up TV Island with extra pigs, iguanas, crocs, water, coconuts and trees
    • Hit Channel 4 show denies that experience for 28 participants was fake
    • Animals were shipped in for hunting and water put in special rubber pit
    • Producers say they had a 'duty of care' to ensure there was food and drink

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3040137/Bear-Grylls-new-fakery-row-producers-admit-spicing-TV-Island-extra-pigs-iguanas-crocs-water-coconuts-trees.html#ixzz4c0MJF4yz
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

SilverCity likes this.
  7. tom baxter

Retired now
    Sure Grylls cuts corners, who would trek weeks across the snow and ice just to make a YouTube video. The value in his instruction is still good non the less. When he shows me how to make a compass out of a leaf it's his hands doing it, it's all real stuff, and often stuff you won't get visual instruction on elsewhere. These other guys that just sit in front of a webcam all day put nothing into practice. Sure ol John was probably ex-military but that means shit to me. All it means is he is trained in US government techniques on how to perform as a little cog in a big wheel. A lot of military training is useless in war, doubly useless when you try to apply it in the real world of shopping malls and rural retreats. Sorry I didn't suckup and like your video but I have to tell it how it is, not how people want it to be.

8. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Tom doesn't have grandchildren? Try turning them away...

John is 60 years old, has grown sons, wife divorced him cuz she wasn't on board and wanted to spend the money on clothes and new furniture. He is a former marine, combat veteran--maybe even KILLED people--a PAID professional consultant and does the Youtube videos as a hobby in his spare time. What the hell do you care if he likes scotch and fine cigars?

Grylless was a pussy Brit, who probably doesn't even own a gun.

Piss off.

SC

Son of Gloin and searcher like this.
  9. searcher

:beer: :beer: :beer:

10. tom baxter

Retired now
    a pussy Brit? You wouldn't say that if you were lost in the wilderness with him as your only companion. You'd be begging him to help you.
    So your idea of future security is having a gun, lol. All that will likely do is get you killed, but hey, dream on. What do I care if the mighty John drinks scotch? I couldn't give a toss, but if I was 50 pounds overweight I wouldn't touch it until I was in shape. And I don't give a tinkers curse if "John" received the medal of honor either, he's just another LardArse plagiarizing stuff off the web and trying to make a living off it. This probably suits a lot of the LardArse prepper community who prefer to sit on their big bums and drink beer while extorting the value of having a cellar full of MRE's and boxes of ammo. That's you isn't it?

I went to his channel and flicked through several of his videos and not once did I see him not sitting down. I certainly didn't see a shot of his gut but it's obvious he's run to fat. Reminds me of the idiot who set up the SurvivalPodcast. Another plagiarizer who sucked thousands into funding his retirement. I've been listening to that crap for 15 years from people who wouldn't even go into the bush without a campervan full of food and a TV set.

I'll leave this subforum now and not disturb your delusions of future security any longer.

Garyw likes this.
  11. searcher

262385_548566745185995_532734214_n.jpg

Garyw and Son of Gloin like this.
  12. searcher

A lot of the survival vids that I post aren't end-all how to's. They're food for thought. Nothing more. In this vid John explains exactly what his channel is all about. Worth a listen. And if you're interested you can simply listen in one window, play around on GIM or surf the web in a different window.

Enjoy. Have a good day!