1. Stocks rebound yesterday to plug their losing streak, metals pull back
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Morning! Gold is down 3 to 1252, while Silver is down 8 to 18.16. Crude is up 27 to 4864. The USD is up 9 to 9964.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

New GOP bill lets companies force you to take genetic tests, lets them share results with third part

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by ErrosionOfAccord, Mar 12, 2017.

1. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Republicans continuing down a shit path. Nothing has changed!

A new bill introduced by Virginia Foxx (R-NC) and approved by the House Ways and Means Committee would allow corporations to force employees to undergo genetic testing — and then share those results with third parties. In theory, this is already illegal, thanks to a 2008 law known as GINA. This type of behavior is also regulated by the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).

The new House bill, HR 1313, gets around these issues by preemptively declaring that workplace wellness programs offered in conjunction with an employer’s sponsored health care plan shall be considered to be in compliance with GINA, the ADA, and other workplace protections. Given that the relevant section of GINA (section 202(b)(2)) specifically states that it shall be unlawful for employers to gather genetic information on employees without the express permission and consent of the employee in question, the GOP just wrote a privacy-shredding exception into a bill and then quietly passed that bill through committee.

Workplace wellness programs have been controversial because they largely don’t seem to work, but remain popular as a method of pushing healthcare costs on to employees. Historically, companies have been allowed to offer these programs (and to enforce fiscal penalties on employees that refuse to meet their goals). But HR 1313 goes farther than simply allowing genetic profiling of employees because an employer offers insurance coverage. The bill actually stipulates that any company with any program with a workplace wellness component can mandate genetic collection whether it provides insurance or not. It also states:

[T]he collection of information about the manifested disease or disorder of a family member shall not be considered an unlawful acquisition of genetic information with respect to another family member as part of a workplace wellness program. [emphasis added]

Under the GOP’s bill, which has already passed through one committee vote with 22 Republicans voting for it and 17 Democrats against, it would be explicitly legal for companies to collect genetic information on your family members. It’s also legal for them to share that information with third parties, in complete and total abrogation of the privacy protections passed in 2008.

The American Society for Human Genetics has blasted the bill:

H.R.1313 would effectively repeal these protections by allowing employers to ask employees invasive questions about their and their families’ health, including genetic tests they, their spouses, and their children may have undergone. GINA’s requirement that employees’ genetic information collected through a workplace wellness program only be shared with health care professionals would no longer apply.

HR 1313 is a travesty. It guts previous protections passed by Congress intended to protect the most fundamentally personal information any human possesses — their own genetic code. It would allow corporations to share that data with third parties for analysis without stripping it of identifying information (GINA forbids this, but 1313 supersedes GINA). It would allow companies to levy fines up to 30% of the cost of health premiums on the employees who fail to cooperate. The ASHG notes that the average premium cost for employees in 2016 was $18,142, meaning families could face an additional $5,443 in premium costs per year for refusing to hand over their genetic and health information.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...panies-force-take-genetic-tests-share-results

2. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

What's worse, the gov doesn't want individuals themselves to have direct access to their own dna testing that might show health markers.

FDA Challenges Direct-To-Consumer Genetic Tests
    ...but it's ok for virtually everyone to have access to your data. That's ok with 'em. You, on the other hand, are to be kept in the dark and fed copious amounts of BS

Uglytruth and ErrosionOfAccord like this.
  3. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

republicans are not conservatives.

4. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    I really fail to see the benefit to this

5. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

It they want me to spit in a cup come and get it.

6. Joe King

That's because there is no benefit from doing so for regular folks. I mean, what possible "benefit" could there possibly be, from all these other entities having that information about everyone?
    Although I can certainly see there being a benefit to employers and insurance companies having that data.

They'll allow others to know, but they don't want you knowing anything about your own health and/or genetic markers relating to health that they don't also know about.

7. Uglytruth

All I know is it's an invasion of privacy. But it will be used for CONTROL. We are way past DNA databases here. If you let your mind wander....... if you believe in chemtrails is it a way to monitor the population? Different areas are sprayed with different things and it's a way to measure the effects? Is it a way to deny health coverage taking any guess work out of health or life insurance industry? With almost zero returns on traditional safe investments insurance companies want to know when you will die. If testing says you will die at 59 or 99 and price things accordingly is a huge hedge. Not telling you is a way to let your live your life happy & stupid. Do employers only want people to have good gene makeup because they are going to start working to 100 years old? New life insurance tables go to 121 years old....... Do people with certain traits get used in certain industries? When they start testing infants and plotting their life path for them and give them no choice. Your feeling more like cattle than human. Will it be used for breeding stronger, smarter or weaker, dumber, easier to control? We always hear about progress well why not genetic mating to help produce the next generation of smarter humans? We have a local company that requires testing and has for years. Some people are not allowed to work there simply due to their genetics. Over 20 years ago they tested people and had a payoff and retraining programs for them. Age was not a factor. The power and control they will have is beyond god at that point.

8. anywoundedduck

anywoundedduck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Data Architect, Systems Engineer, Business Owner,
    Virginia Foxx is a paid lackey for the Insurance companies.
    This bill will die in committee, I predict, but we now know a little more about TPTB agenda. TPTB are totally batshit crazy!

9. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Republicans are Democrats at their core. They are no more our friends than Obama is

Uglytruth likes this.
  10. Bigjon

Bigjon Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

Be sure to make your donation to the Red Cross.

11. Uglytruth

What's up with the Red Cross? I donate blood & they are calling 2 weeks early scheduling an appointment and endless emails. Who's getting rich off this scam?

12. Bigjon

Bigjon Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

Nothing that I know, other than it's a perfect way to monitor the effects of an aerial spraying, vaccination, name your poison campaign.

I tried to give blood anonymously. No Way AIDS, which is like to me another of TPTB bullshit made up disease.

Blood would be like the perfect DNA TEST.

13. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    If companies have a database of genetic information about you and your family they can statistically create actuarial tables for prediction of death. Right now I believe they just use age, sex and maybe race.

Or predict disease (maybe refuse to issue life insurance or price it way high since you're a risk)

Maybe they know your predisposed to cancer or heart disease. Then you're ripe for targeted advertising (gyms, supplements, treatment centers) etc..

Personally I see this as a HIPPA violation

Also, I'd be surprised if most companies opened themselves up to employee lawsuits and bad press from sellin their employees data)

Uglytruth likes this.
  14. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    exactly. the amount of money a company gets for "selling" your info would hardly be worth it IMO opinion

15. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

Employers could use the info to create a race of super slaves...

bb

Mujahideen likes this.
  16. Joe King

Or just not hire those seen as having a high probability of running up their insurance premiums.
    ...and to know who in the firm to target for removal from the payroll.

Uglytruth likes this.
  17. Silvergun

Silvergun Silver Member Silver Miner

Land Surveyor
    This is exactly one of the reasons I would avoid the ancestry.com blood tests to determine your heritage. I know a ton of people who think its the coolest thing since sliced bread. What you get out of it is not worth it. I really wish people would start giving a shit about their privacy again. The whole "I have nothing to hide, so who cares" attitude is such a programmed, indoctrinated and idiotic stance.

18. Uglytruth

What's next testing your family's also? Entire lineage discriminated against? Dating would involve testing to see what social class you would fall into? Talk about the chosen ones....... or master race......