1. Stocks soar, Metals get hammered
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Monday morning takedown. Gold is down 12.8 to 1243 while Silver is down 17 to 1647. Crude is up 20 to 4321. The USD is up 15 to 97.09
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

NEW GUY TO THE FORUM AND NEW TO METAL DETECTING Anyway,

Discussion in 'Collecting, along with Metals and Numi's' started by Daryl Johnson, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Daryl Johnson

Daryl Johnson New Member

Hello everyone. I'm brand new here, and I'm a silver and gold stacker. I got a White's Coinmaster and a White's Pinpointer for Christmas. I have lived on an 1860's farm since my wife and I bought it about 30 years ago. Now that I'm retired I have time to begin searching my 3 acre farm house and yatrd. My barn was a lumber mill in the 1800's, and there were three cabins on my land during the early 1800's.
    I have a creek that runs through my property, and the bottom of it is bedrock. There is a waterfall with a lot of gravel where it dumps in.
    I hav had some luck digging sand out of cracks in the bedrock when the creek was low a few years back. Anyway, I hope to pick up some expert detecting tips from the pros here, and this looks like a great forum.
    Several years back, a few friends and I started a coin production project. Our company was called Loco Pecunia, and You may be familiar with our two favorite coins. They would be THE REAPER ROUNDS, and the UNCLE VAM coins. I think I will be spending a lot of time on here. It will be fun getting to know some of You, and listen to what all of You have to say. Nice meeting You guys! My AVATAR is an upside-down Uncle Vam coin.

GOLDBRIX, Joseph and SilverCity like this.
  2. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

FYI -- The whole State of Michigan has been claimed by Irons.:p

Hystckndle, Irons and SilverCity like this.
  3. oldgaranddad

Oh! ... and welcome!

4. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Welcome Daryl Johnson (hope that's an alias cuz we don't use our real names here)

LOL

SC

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  5. Daryl Johnson

Daryl Johnson New Member

Actually it was my cousin's alias when he used to check into a hotel. He was in The Doobie Brothers. I can use his alias now, because he left us a few years back. I'm sure he wouldn't mind!

6. EricTheCat

EricTheCat Silver Member Silver Miner

Greetings Daryl,
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your retirement. It sounds like you have a very interesting property to search. With a creek going through your property you might also want to look for Indian artifacts. Good luck sir, I hope you make some good finds.

7. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Well now you have gone and done it!

Welcome to the forum. There is good insight to be gained with this crew.

8. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Welcome again!! A good intro twice deserves a second welcome! i have heard that good places to look carefully with your metal detector is around old mailboxes and old out houses. Coins that fell out around there weren't worth picking up a hundred years ago, but would be nice trophys now. Good luck!!!

9. engineear

engineear Seeker Seeker

Medical field
    Daryl Johnson was a running back for the Cowboys...IMSC...welcome...

10. madhu

madhu Silver Member Silver Miner

Welcome and good luck finding the information that u are looking for.

11. Daryl Johnson

Daryl Johnson New Member

Actually, I found a spearpoint a while back that looked as if it had broken and been converted to a scraper and spokeshave. My eyes are always scanning the ground since I found it. I was digging a coin and the artifact was in the hole with it. That was the "Beginner's Luck" with my Coinmaster.

EricTheCat likes this.
  12. Daryl Johnson

Daryl Johnson New Member

I've tried to spot the outhouses on my property, but I can't see any obvious depressions. I haven't started around my barn yet. Since it was a lumber mill, I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance for some coins around it, along with a million nails since it was re-sided in the 70's.
    We bought the place from an old couple in their 90's, and the lady showed us some old pictures. One of them was the owner delivering a large wagon load of beams pulled by a team of Oxen. i'm hoping to fin some Barbers anyway. Luckily, the front of the barn still has the original siding, so there may not be as much iron where they walked in to do their trading. Fingers crossed anyway!

13. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

WELCOME D.J.

Hope you find what you are looking for, BUT watch out for IRONS. ( Just Jokin', No not really, yes REALLY, Hell IDK, Yes I do But I aint tellin' NOOOBODY, but for a nominal fee....)

14. EricTheCat

Nice find, that must be the one in your avatar pic now. Very cool relic for sure. I have spent many hours searching for Indian artifacts and have yet to find anything too good. I have found a couple scrapers, a couple gravers and a spokeshave. I do tend to find many lake superior agates as I look and it's nice to just get out so I really can't complain. :)

15. Daryl Johnson

Daryl Johnson New Member

I'll try to post a pic of it with a coin next to it for scale. I just now managed to figure out how to post a picture on here. It's a new process for me, and I'm not really great with computers. I think it's about 3" long. The coin was showing at 6" depth, and I rolled over my scoop and the penny was in a clump right there. The artifact was behind the wheatie, and I almost just put the scoop back. I decided to bust up the scoop, and there it was.
    I have walked my dog through the field every time they plow, and in years and years I never found a thing. It would have been a shame to have left it in the ground. I think I'll be digging in the dirt a little more thoroughly. It's funny though. Go metal detecting and find a prize rock!

16. EricTheCat

lol, yes I am often intrigued by how often people are out metal detecting and come across stone artifacts. I haven't metal detected since I was a kid (since the day I took the detector apart to see what was inside). The house I grew up in was built in 1880. We found railroad spikes, a horseshoe, an old toy gun and a bit of trash with the detector. It is certainly something I am interested in starting back up some day. Somehow all the coins I found as a kid were without metal detector. I still have a 1919 wheatie that I found on the sidewalk when a friend and I were competing to see who could find the oldest coin (I won that game). Also I still have a 1943 D Mercury dime I dug up once when camping on an island on the St. Croix river when I was digging for "treasure". I can't help but wonder what someone could find on that island with a detector.

17. Daryl Johnson

Daryl Johnson New Member

Yep. When I was a kid, in about 1965 my neighbor and I decided to go treasure hunting. We were used to it, since back then people would toss pop bottles, and they were worth 2 cents. Not bad, since a pack of basedall cards or a Snicker's Bar cost a nickel.
    Anyway, we looked all over for stuff. Finally, I was looking in our Rhubarb patch, and there in the dirt was a dry, crusty coin. I put some spit on it, and it was a 1907 Linerty Nickel. That coin has travelled with me as I moved around the country, and I finally inlayed it into a woodcarving project that I made, so it has made it for 51 years without being lost or misplaced., now that's dedication!

18. EricTheCat

Funny. Things can turn up in the oddest places. You had a bit of a head start on me. The finds I mentioned I've held on to for about 30 years. I am glad to still have them.

Welcome again to the forum. I look forward to seeing what you find. Here I am waiting for the snow to clear but it has been warm so hopefully spring will come early.

19. Daryl Johnson

Daryl Johnson New Member

Thanks Eric. I live in New York, about two miles from Lake Erie, so I'm not through with snow yet. we're supposed to have a Winter storm today and tomorrow. I'm looking forward to some digging this Summer!
    I hope my beginner's luck hold's out for a while!

20. oldgaranddad

Just be careful detecting in NY. All NYS parks and state land require a metal detecting permit. The local municipalities are a quagmire of regulations. Downstate is worse than upstate.

This site is a good start but far from comprehensive. http://www.fmdac.org/new-york-state-regulations.html

Find a local metal detecting club. They'll keep you from running afoul of the Byzantine rules and regulations. Many of which seem to conflict. One ticket might cost more than your whole rig.