1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

New National Park Service Commemorative Silver Dollar

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by 90%RealMoney, Mar 19, 2016.

1. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

I was just looking at the new commemorative coin for the National Park Service, that goes on sale this coming Thursday. Can someone explain the reverse design of this coin? What does "Heritage, Culture, and Pride" have to do with the National Park Service? Also, the Female Latin looking dancer pictured, what does/would that have to do with the Park Service as well? I'm a bit confused. I don't get it. The description/reason for the reverse design, as given by the Mint site, is a pretty weak argument if you ask me.
    http://catalog.usmint.gov/100th-ann...-dollar-16CD.html?cgid=commemoratives#start=1

Scorpio likes this.
  2. 90%RealMoney

Somehow , Latin Dancers aren't the first thing that come to mind, when I think of the National Park Service.

3. Duckworth

Duckworth Site Supporter Site Supporter Seeker

That is very strange. It does have a bit of a Carmen Miranda look to it. I would think there must be some sort of explanation for that. I can't imagine that would be a big seller.

90%RealMoney likes this.
  4. 90%RealMoney

Thanks for your opinion. What does latin Dancing/Dancers have to do with the national Park Service? Politically motivated BS if you ask me.

5. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

Could turn out to be a limited mintage mint error. Grab 'em........NOT.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

for a centennial?

Wow, whoever designed that one didn't plan on selling more than 2 of them.............JMO

I wouldn't buy one with their money

Wasn't the purpose of the NPS to protect wildlife and the land? Which would mean the best symbol of that is the Eagle, the mountains, the forests?

gringott, michael59 and 90%RealMoney like this.
  7. Deweydog

Deweydog Seeker Seeker

Quit buying these feces issues.....$50 is nuts....chasing for a rarity rarely comes to pass....

Save your money for the 1916-2016 series in gold......that is historic

8. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

This set includes a $5 gold coin, with John Muir and Theodore Roosevelt on the front, and the national park sign on the back.

It will be interesting to see how the mintage of this coin ends, with the Mark Twain gold coin being issued during the same year (not everyone will be able to buy both coins!).

I don't have plans to buy either coin this year, but I will probably be looking at the slabbed coins next year.

9. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Myself, me why I am perplexed. Um, your link has coins in it but no dancers....

Am I missing something again?

10. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

Maybe...the reverse sure looks like a Latin Carmen Miranda type dancer to me...

gringott likes this.
  11. 90%RealMoney

The link takes you to the mint page for the said coin. You can click on the images to see the reverse side of the coin, there you will see what I'm talking about

12. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

From the Mint:

The reverse (tails) depicts a Latina Folklórico dancer and the National Park Service logo, representing the multi–faceted cultural experience found in America’s national parks.

What kind of crap is that? National Parks are there to preserve NATURE, not Hispanic or any other culture.

birddog and gringott like this.
  13. 90%RealMoney

Anyone want to take bets on how long it is, until a Gay Pride Commemorative coin is issued? I guess a coin of that nature would at least be issued under it's own merit, not snuck in to another themed coin.

gringott and michael59 like this.
  14. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    I looked at the picks .... I just didn't know what the reverse was supposed to be. Guess I need to study up on Latin art....didn't know it existed.

15. Starter

The design of the gold coin is iconic, with the pictures of John Muir and Theodore Roosevelt side by side, and a lone national park sign on the back. Awareness of national parks among coin collectors has been bolstered by the popularity of the ATB series. Both the nice design and popular concept will probably result in strong demand for this coin.

I also believe that sales of this coin will probably end up being less than their demand would dictate. The coin is being issued relatively late in the year, and sales of other gold coins this year, such as the 1916-2016 old design coins, and the Mark Twain gold coin, will pull sales away from this coin.

Despite all the strong points of this coin, I do not plan to look into buying one until the winter. History shows that coins like these, even including the blockbuster Baseball Hall of Fame gold coin, tend to go through an early hype phase, followed by a 1-2 year lull, before prices begin to increase steadily. Buying a raw coin is an option, but I have learned that the secondary market usually offers slabbed coins, in grade 70, at comparable prices, once the hype has passed.

Goldhedge likes this.
  16. Starter

Out of the 3 coins, I think the best-looking one is the $5 gold coin, which is now available from the Mint at an issue price of 395.

Right now, slabbed MS 70 examples of the coin are selling on eBay at about 20% higher than the Mint price. Of course, this is overpriced, but the hope is that these slabbed coins will be lower sometime around Dec or Jan this winter.

I believe that this coin, being issued in the same year as both the Mark Twain gold coin and the centennial gold coins, will have lower mintage than usual...perhaps lower than the 2015 gold coin, with mintage in the 6000s.

17. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    I like the 3 coin set, but probably won't buy it anyway. Overpriced gold is bad enough, but overpriced clad is too much to bear.

southfork likes this.
  18. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Weird they put Carmen Miranda on a Park Service coin. Don't Mint employees have to take urine tests to prevent drug abusers from working there? Because somebody was high when they came up with that coin. I have never thought of Culture, Heritage or Pride in conjunction with the National Park Service.

90%RealMoney likes this.
  19. 90%RealMoney

Well, I guess with what is going on with the $5, $10, and $20 bills, none of this should be any kind of surprise anymore.

gringott likes this.
  20. 90%RealMoney

Well that didn't take long. A coin certainly has not been issued, but Obama just declared some famous gay park in the village in New York or somewhere, as the latest addition to the National Parks Service. A Gay bar as a monument to the LGBT struggle! Wow!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    gringott likes this.
  21. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Where is the Robery LeVoy Ficicum coin? It could be a nice coin with the govt shooting a man in an ambush.

birddog likes this.
  22. 90%RealMoney

I'm fearing some kind of Muslim related coin being authorized, before he leaves office.

23. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    It's third in line for a series. First is the burning of the children to save them at Waco, followed by the sniper shot that killed Randy Weaver's wife, because he sawed a shotgun barrel short for ATF agents.

birddog, Mr Paradise and Uglytruth like this.
  24. 90%RealMoney

Don't forget the "Fast and Furious" Gun running coin. Or maybe a coin depicting the swiss cheese border we have down south.

gringott and Uglytruth like this.
  25. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Boy I was just in a snarky mood yesterday........ but I like the way you guys think. We could have a whole series with politicians, trees & rope & guillotine's. Also can we please have a series with these poor excuses for celebrities that say they will move away or while weighing 200+ lbs tell us about sending money to starving kids with flies in their nose or who to vote for or what we should buy, watch, wear and think?

birddog and gringott like this.
  26. Starter

Based on the mintage numbers, I now think the National Park Service gold uncirc coin will become a real winner due to low mintage.

Ever since I joined this forum 3 years ago, the only other gold commem that clearly outperformed its issue price up to now was the 2013 five star generals coin (but at that time, I was more focused on the 5-oz silver ATBs). The 2014 baseball coin soared and then crashed hard, and only the 70-graded coins are worth more than the issue price. The 2015 marshals coin ended with low mintage, but dipped due to some dealers (one in particular) getting rid of them fast--I myself was able to buy 2 of them below the issue price.

With the 2016 Mark Twain and NPS gold coins, almost no one is getting rid of them now, as they are holding onto them in anticipation for the price to move upward. I think this is due to the very low mintage of both coins, especially with the NPS coin.

My plan is now to buy the NPS gold uncirc coin (need to make sure it's the unciruclated one!) in a few weeks, along with the gold standing liberty quarter (which I will be selling to a dealer) and a clad ATB proof set.

Earlier this year, I was planning to buy the NPS gold coin on the secondary market, but after looking at the mintage numbers I have enacted a change of plan for myself...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  27. Starter

28. Starter

Current mintage numbers of all 3 unc coins are at rock-bottom levels now...

Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3423 11/20/2016
    Commemoratives 16CD 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE SILVER UNC 19288 11/20/2016
    Commemoratives 16CF 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE CLAD UNC 17432 11/20/2016

Less than 6 weeks remain until these coins will be discontinued. Get them while they last!

29. Starter

Mintage numbers again...

Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 4113 12/18/2016
    Commemoratives 16CD 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE SILVER UNC 20387 12/18/2016
    Commemoratives 16CF 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE CLAD UNC 18767 12/18/2016

Just a little over 1 week left now!

30. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

A true gamblin' man would make a play for the clad unc in that list because it's probably headed for deep-key status. Next to no intrinsic value but realistically you'd stand to lose little even if you had to sell in a pinch.

Starter likes this.
  31. Starter

I can see myself buying one Clad Unc, just for fun.

When selling on eBay, though, I estimate that shipping costs may take away a significant portion of potential profits, compared to the Gold Unc.

32. Starter

I might stand to lose more money to shipping costs with the NPS Clad Unc, but I have decided that this price range is the most comfortable to me for practicing selling on eBay, and USPS Priority Mail comes with $50 insurance for free.

Furthermore, the idea of picking the best specimens to send for grading and selling the others raw on eBay sounds attractive.

Now I am considering buying up to 15 NPS Clad Unc coins...

33. Starter

From the other thread (Small US Gold Coins)...

This issue of Clad Unc coins looks promising, so I guess it is a good time to try my hand at collecting these.

But for the sake of limiting my risk, I don't want to go higher than $250 invested in the Clad Unc coins.

34. Starter

Today 3 of the 6 Clad Unc coins I ordered came in the mail.

Needless to say, the condition of the Clad coins is much worse than the Gold.

I will be lucky if 2 of the 6 are graded at 70.

35. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

Beware about submitting these (or any) clad coins for grading. It is very rarely a profitable event and MAYBE the 70's will break even and, as you mentioned, the quality is not up to silver issue standards so there might be less of them.

No biggie to wait and see if a market develops and then submit them. You need to at least break even on the 69's for this to work.

Using NGC as an example it will cost a bit over $100 to get 5 coins (minimum for submission) graded so your break even point is a tad north of $50/coin. Right now there is not much of a market for the graded coins and the last PF 69 sold for $27 and two MS 69's for $35 and $27.25 each...all transactions well over a month ago.

Maybe now that they are removed from sale more interest will develop but they have been around for about eight months and didn't get much interest during that period.

Just an opinion.....

36. Starter

I will probably wait a few months first before getting ready to submit the coins, as you suggested.

For the clad coins, I can screen most of the ones that have obvious defects, which tend to be rim nicks in most cases.

Out of the 6 clad coins I ordered, I might decide to take the best 1 or 2 coins for submission, if I see that they have minimal defects.

Of course, these would be submitted along with the gold coins I ordered, in order to have enough coins for submitting.

37. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I drive a 1981 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser. By it's age, it's a classic. By it's numbers, it's terribly rare (particularly up here). That it's a gigantic V8 wood panel stationwagon with a roof rack makes everyone point and stare com Christmastime ... but in Classic Car terms ... all that means nothing. My car is classed as "Rare -Not Desirable". So is this coin

38. Starter

It's a popular set of issues, these NPS coins, but people happen to like the proofs more than the uncs in general, and especially due to the price discount on the 3-coin set.

Once the final mintage numbers are out, I can see the unc prices rising on the secondary market.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  39. Starter

On eBay, sales of both raw and MS69 clad unc NPS half dollars are already starting to come in...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=2016-d national park clad half dollar&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

At the moment, I see 3 sales of MS 69 coins go for $59 and raw coins go for $28 and $38, within the last 2 days.

Maybe it is OK to have MS 69 coins after all!

40. Starter

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016