1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

New National Park Service Commemorative Silver Dollar

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by 90%RealMoney, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

That MS69 sale you quoted was for a PCGS First Strike which I eliminated (along with Early Release) from the search because it's not applicable to your situation. The last non-FS or ER MS69 sold over a month ago for $35 shipped.
    Hopefully the years to come will help this issue increase in value.

2. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

The raw clad half dollars are now selling at $29.79 from one dealer and $29.86 from a second dealer.

Looking at the issue price of $24.95, it is a near break-even price for sellers who can minimize their fees. But remember that these are probably the lower-quality coins that did not make the cut to be graded, so it may be profitable for them if they get enough MS70s and the premium is high enough.

I have yet to see an MS70 coin offered for sale for this issue after the sellout date of 12/29. Maybe those with MS70s don't want to offer too low of a price, for fear of selling too low. I have a feeling that once MS70 sales of this issue start coming in, the price will be groundbreaking--probably over $100, and maybe even $150. The first several sales of MS70 coins just might be the catalyst to spur the market for the raw coins.

And I believe the rapid sales of FS MS69 coins at $59 is a very good sign for the non-FS ones. Most people will probably realize that FS is just a label, and I think this will carry prices of the non-FS MS69 coins to approach prices of the FS ones. After all, some collectors prefer slabbed coins, even if they are grading rejects--especially for rare issues like this one.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  3. Starter

Just today, one FS MS70 NPS Clad coin just sold for $299.99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-D-Nati...160721?hash=item2a78abf111:g:v6UAAOSw-0xYcC2r

It now seems apparent that a large majority of graded Clad coins will be MS69, and even these will sell for a good premium, I believe (due to the rarity), after a few months...

4. Starter

Some perspective on the rarity of the NPS Clad Unc...

As of 1/2/2017, the Mint sales report for the Clad Unc was as follows:

Listed with the next lowest Clad Unc mintage numbers, this historically low figure looks like this:

2016 National Park

2013 5-Star Generals

2015 US Marshals

2011 Army

So compared to the 2011 Army Clad Unc coin (which itself has a low mintage), the 2016 NPS coin has just a little over half the mintage.

Incredible!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. Starter

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  6. Starter

7. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

Wait for a few months/years and you'll find them, raw, for cheap. We can thank places like ebay for this facet of life :)

Modern Silver Commems are a crap shoot, I know, I've crapped out with a few but there are some keys and besides the clad half, this Unc Silver Dollar will be a moderate / good winner

IDK the clad half dollar market real well but low mintage doesn't always equate to market demand. There are several higher mintage Commem Silver Dollars that sell for much more than lower mintage specimens if only due to subject matter / demand

On any of the Modern Commems, upon receipt from the Mint, if you don't flip them immediately into the current frenzied market, you may have to hold them for some time before you'll realize any real profit

I've watched this market for some time, Modern Silver Commemoratives, and when mintages get low, I've learned this is the time to Buy, anything and everything you suspect might have some up-potential in the future, especially low mintage Government Issue Coins, of any type

We saw saturation in 1995 IIRC with the Olympic Coins and that's why there were some seriously low mintages for a few of the silver dollars, but this time is a bit different as any "saturation" from the US Mint was from the amount of "other offerings" they had in 2016 and let's face it, Mark Twain is a larger subject matter than National Parks and there was no clad half dollar offering in the MT series

GL with your hunt / chase :)

8. Starter

I was thinking of buying a Silver unc to go along with the Gold and Clad unc coins I bought, but I wanted to save my money.

The Silver MS69s are now available at $58 on eBay, which may be a decent price if you consider the grading and shipping costs.

9. Starter

Actually, the above numbers for 2013 5-Star Generals did not include sales of the 5-Star Generals Profiles Collection, which had sales of 10,929 and included both a clad unc and silver unc coin.

This brings the mintage of the 2013 clad unc to 38,097, falling behind the 2015 US Marshals clad unc in mintage.

10. Starter