1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

New US Mint curved coin

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Piggybank, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

I like that! Says it all.....

2. Some_Math_Guy

Some_Math_Guy Banned

Like Layla said. But, hey who knows. This thing could go nuts. W/ Baseball season coming up, NL parks & company's may want to give these away at ball games or all those multi millionaire baseball players may want one. Could see them go for over a k! The 2011 25th sold for 299 & people laughed at folks buying them for 600-800 only to sell them for $1200 plus. Just sayin:36_1_11:

3. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Tig likes this.
  4. Grandpa Silver

Grandpa Silver New Member Seeker

This is my third post on this esteemed site. I have gained much by the information learned here, both educationally and monetarily. On reading the commentaries prior to the coins going on sale-gold and silver especially, one would think it was nonsense to consider purchases. Was there a hidden agenda by a few here? One can only surmise. I'm not a rabid sports fan or even a lukewarm one but come-on, the National Pastime? Sales seemed to carry on strongly with the gold selling out in little more than six hours? Silver wasn't doing too bad either. Did I smell "flippers" and dealers with that initial negativity. I've only been around 65 years. I think there will be much enjoyment here with my purchase and eventual gifts to grandkids. "Hefferdust" to the original commentators of early posts !!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    Layla likes this.
  5. <SLV>

6. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Grandpa, I think main reason why you read so many negative comments was based simply on the demographics of this forum. The overwhelming majority of posters here are truly stackers and as such they view pretty much anything the mint offers as a gimmick or rip-off. There are literally a handful of posters here who actively follow modern mint coins and buy and sell them. As such, of course you're going to hear a lot of trash talking. Keep in mind that while so many here have ripped mint products consistently over the years, there are a few of us here who have made quite a tidy profit trading in and out of certain modern numismatic PM coins ;). However we're a very small minority on this board. Heck, I'm one of the few who buys modern mint coins and even I wasn't very excited about it. Bah, that's my own fault though for taking an extended break from the hobby and not listening to the chatter about this coin. Had I paid attention, I would have bought quite a few and flipped them like I have done numerous other times over the last few years.

7. Some_Math_Guy

Some_Math_Guy Banned

8. Shortstack

Shortstack Bain of the Authoritarian Follower Gold Chaser

Another reason why some here are so negative is because they have no precious metals. Imagine if your aspiration was owning an exotic sports car. It would be OK to lurk on the mazarati website to ask questions and pick up useful info prior to making your first purchase. But if one instead acted like they owned one of these cars, and then posted as if they were a long time owner and expert? You could see how that person would become bitter and envious of those that actually did own the vehicle.

What I am proposing is that there is a subset here who actually own low to no PM's, but post as if they actually have something to add. Instead, what they do is cut down real experts and collectors, like History Student for instance. That guy is a long time collector and is responsible (along with others including solo, hernan cortez) for me collecting US Mint offerings like "w" mint mark silver eagles, ATB 5 Oz coins, proof buffaloes, etc. No regrets here. Full disclosure I pretty much have my core gold and silver position comete, and its fully paid for BTW.

Attached Files:

hernancortes and <SLV> like this.
  9. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    I was down on this coin because it is ugly. I tend to buy what i like, and generally when I have listened to the hype and bought what I didn't like it I got stuck with a dog.

Maybe this time I should have bought, but time will tell. I still think it is F-ugly.

I don't have as much as SS, but I have bought many things from the mint including the UHR (a big winner, but that doesn't matter since I'm not selling), all of the Liberty first spouse coins, all of the ATB coins (and all the bullion coins as well), all of the silver eagle sets so far, and the RP Buffalo gold.

I really don't think anyone here was trying to talk you out of it hoping to score more for themselves. I sure wasn't.

I honestly think it is a gimmicky design and an ugly coin. Like I said, I hope everyone who bought one makes a killing.

10. <SLV>

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think it is a clever design. The concave side is shaped like the pocket of a glove and the convex side like the bulge of a baseball. I also like the asymetrical scripting. They put a lot of research into the process of how to make a coin like this (partnering with the Aussies). As a first I think it is an interesting piece.

11. topdog

topdog New Member

I really like the new baseball coin. I don't think it's worth the price over spot, but I'd like to add at least one to my collection.

12. Grandpa Silver

Grandpa Silver New Member Seeker

Thanks to all for having replied to my post, both online and thru p.m. All were appropriate, helpful and insightful. I'm beginning to feel as an accepted member of the group. Once again, thanks for adding to this discussion in a helpful, adult way!

Solo and Layla like this.
  13. <SLV>

3/30 sales numbers:

B31 2014 BASEBALL HOF PROOF $5 GOLD 37,831
    B32 2014 BASEBALL HOF UNC $5 GOLD 21,380
    B33 2014 BASEBALL HOF PROOF SILVER DOLLAR 155,523
    B34 2014 BASEBALL HOF UNC SILVER DOLLAR 73,002
    B35 2014 BASEBALL HOF PROOF CLAD HALF-DOLLAR 67,236
    B36 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD UNC 44,144

Over 9k gold coins on the waiting list. Should make unc total mintage under 20k.

14. <SLV>

15. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    For a collector's point of view, you should buy what you like.

EDIT: If the this U.S Mint curved coin is what you like, then you should buy it. If not, then do not buy it. I do not plan to buy it because I do not collect U.S Mint silver products. A majority of people here on GIM are stackers and most will probably not buy it because the premium is "too high". Some people might buy a few to flip some on ebay to try to make a profit. There is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  16. Foxwoods Man

Numbers reported today (as of Sunday)

17. gtopillado

gtopillado Seeker Seeker

Sales
    What's the pop of PCGS pr70 and ms70 (silver) Baltimore FS? Going for crazy money on eBay....wondering why? There has to be a stat on how many were labeled like this somewhere?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  18. gold4278

gold4278 Silver Member Silver Miner

Why would the sales totals for the Gold Proofs from 3/30 be higher than Sunday's numbers (37,831 vs 32,000)?

19. <SLV>

They must have revised the numbers to reflect the approved mintage in keeping with the 50k cap.

20. <SLV>

I think you had to buy them at the show and have them graded there. It gets kind of stupid the way some collectors pay huge money for a special label in their slab when it is identical to another coin without the special label.

21. gtopillado

gtopillado Seeker Seeker

Sales
    What's the pop of PCGS pr70 and ms70 (silver) Baltimore FS? Going for crazy money on eBay....wondering why? There has to be a stat on how many were labeled like this somewhere?

Thanks, was looking for info not just an opinion.

22. <SLV>

You got both. You're welcome.

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/ViewArticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=2566

In fact, here's another opinion: the "pop" also probably has to do with the fact that they are in hand and ready to be delivered versus all of Ebay pre-sales.

23. Foxwoods Man

Total orders include those put on the waiting list to be filled if there are any cancellations or CC issues. The waiting list notice was posted early Thursday evening but the Mint continued to take orders for days

24. <SLV>

25. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    Layla and <SLV> like this.
  26. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
  27. PhucilliJerry

PhucilliJerry Gold Member Gold Chaser

Just received an email from the mint:

[​IMG]

Looks hopeful, maybe........ I placed my order just before 10 am on Friday the 28th.......

Edit: The picture wouldn't load so here is the text:

Greetings from the United States Mint.
    We regret to inform you that the item(s) listed below
    are currently on backorder. Please expect your item(s)
    to arrive within the timeframe listed below.
    Track your order at http://catalog.usmint.gov
    Thanks again for shopping with the United States Mint.

Order #: xxxxxxxxx
    Sold To : xxxxxxxxxxx
    Ship To : xxxxxxxxxxx
    Item: B32 Qty: 1 Exp Ship: 7/17/14
    2014 BASEBALL HOF UNC $5 GOLD

This is a system generated e-mail. Please do not reply.
    If you have questions, please visit the Help page at .
    http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT.

28. Foxwoods Man

I placed an order after 2pm on Friday and got the same email....I haven't heard of ANYONE that got a waiting list email even though the waiting list notice said those on the list would be notified.

They will probably wait until June to notify us we WERE on the list and that the order has been cancelled.

29. Shortstack

Thanks to this post (made at 10:45AM on the day following opening day), I ordered 5 each of the gold coins. The gold was supposedly sold out at about 10PM on the first day. Ten minutes after MrLucky's post, I logged in and ordered, but did not receive the normal order confirm via e-mail, or was able to view the order on the mint website until yesterday. What I now see is that they partially filled the order and allocated me 2 of each gold coin. Which is great if this works out. I still am not sure, nor is Louis from the US Mint blog, as of what time on Thursday the 41,797 sold coin number was tabulated. If I were a betting man, the US Mint tabulates everything as of midnight. But I could be wrong, as the sales tabulation that MrLucky posted above does not confirm at what time of day the sales totals were tabulated.

But I could be wrong about Louis and the Mint blog, there were over 800 posts on that thread so it was hard to glean from that thread what the exact time and date of the sellout occurred. All of my orders, even from 2PM on the opening day, still show the coins as "on hold" with ship dates ranging from April 15th to July 7th, depending on the coin.

Hoping for a sell out of the silver coins (not the $17 clad coins), I have 15 of each there, and would sell 5 of each if I could make a nice profit. That, or they would be fantastic Christmas gifts. I think the silver coins are more than half way sold out. Glad we have this thread!

30. <SLV>

Absolutely. I was able to get a pair of $5 gold unc. Mine are "on hold", "reserved" -- My order was officially placed at 12:40 p.m. on the opening day. It took that long to complete the order because the system kept crashing. I was into the "waiting room" 10 seconds after it opened, and I had a 12 minute wait to get into the store.

31. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    You're welcome, Shortstack, glad you got in.

I didn't try for any of the gold items, but did buy a few of the silver (both versions). I'm not sure how big a hit they will be as I think the mintage is too high. But they're still neat to own and will probably have some upside nevertheless.

I'm pondering buying a stack of the clad, however. Down the road they may be more attractive to the young buyers who may badger their parents to find/buy them one. If not they will make really cool poker chips.

It's also interesting to see the silver versions far outselling the clads. At least as of this posting.

32. Shortstack

I disagree on the silver mintage of 400,000 - I think that is just right, or a little on the low side. The way I see it, there are 50 to 100 million baseball fans. Out of that subset, there are about 2-5 million serious collectors. People who have huge baseball card collections, signed jerseys, baseballs, etc. I am guessing that this group of collectors will determine that these coins are a must have to supplement their collection. My problem is that I did not deploy enough cash to this idea - I am thinking that in a few years, the silver coins will be a three or 4 bagger at least. I am seriously thinking of rounding out my silver coin orders to 50 each, plus a few extra's for my collection. A 4k investment that will be worth 15-20k in a few years time. This, or I use the money to upgrade my Raptor with 2013 OEM HID headlights, a 30 inch light bar, and a performance break system.

33. Foxwoods Man

The actual household limit was 50 of EACH coin so 100 coins per household.....only 500 max orders needed...makes the limits even more useless. 5 or 10 would have made more sense

<SLV> likes this.
  34. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Midas Member Midas Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  35. Lakeside

Lakeside Banned

I got 3 gold & 4 silver coming. The Cancel boxes have been gone for a few days. I keep checking in.

36. <SLV>

Ebay high "sold" prices for auctions ("PRESALES", each with about 30 bids) are (including shipping):

Proof -- $870
    Uncirculated -- $820

Low "sold" prices seem to be around $700. A couple days back the low "sold" price was about $620 ($200 premium).

Prices are ticking up on these coins. Once they start getting delivered I think we'll see higher prices yet for auctions of coins in hand.

37. Foxwoods Man

That's when the prices should drop. A bunch of raw coins will hit the market at the same time. It might be stretched out a bit by those who decide to get them graded but more being available shouldn't lead to higher prices. I would NEVER buy right after they 1st become available. Wait a few months and the true premium will develop...

38. Lakeside

Lakeside Banned

Yep, some folks will sell at 600 & be happy. Maybe even $500. To bad all the owners can't have a "Mind Meld" & agree not to sell below $1,000.00 :lol04:

39. Shortstack

I pretty much always agree on your calls as related to US Mint products. But for this one, I disagree. The reason. The number of Baseball fans and collectors against the number of coin collectors. As I have said before, if baseball collectors decide these coins are a must have, then I could see the stabilized secondary market for the gold coins at 2x the original purchase price, maybe even 3x or 4x. Same for the silver coins, which may be closer to the 4x original cost because there are more of them, allowing for the higher volume secondary market that will develop as a result of the higher mintage rate as compared to the gold versions. Because a serious baseball collector will not buy one or two to flip once the market stabilizes. I think that coin collectors purchased these from the US Mint, while the baseball collectors will by these coins (gold or silver) on the secondary market from coin collectors.

Judging by the 1,000 plus posts to each of the Mint blog website articles, there were almost no baseball fans posting there. Only hard core coin collectors, professional flippers, and owners of coin shops.

Layla likes this.
  40. Foxwoods Man

I agree with your scenario BUT I also stick to mine. As I mentioned there will be a glut for sale soon and a price drop will have to occur. After that is over with the true price levels will declare themselves and they could very well exceed your predicted 2x (or higher). It just won't happen when the dealers unload their stock.

I think the normal Joe Baseball will love the silver versions and that one has great potential....again, not right away but it will be the gift coin for all fans...unique with a popular theme. There are a lot of fans out there who never heard of this cool coin. As you said these are not the flippers....they will buy and keep.....