1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

New US Mint curved coin

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Piggybank, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Shortstack

Shortstack Bain of the Authoritarian Follower Gold Chaser

My local coin shop, Sam Sloat Coins in Westport CT, has about 30% of his store dedicated to baseball cards, signed baseballs, Jerseys, etc. He tells me these items sell like hotcakes. I have seen Jerseys for 100's of dollars plus. He keeps the real expensive rare items in the back. Clients of his who don't blink an eye at spending a grand for a rare piece are the collectors who I am hoping become aware of these coins. Time will tell on the secondary market, which I am hoping will soon be filled with avid baseball fans with deep pockets.

2. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

From Mint News Blog comment section:

Shortstack likes this.
  3. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    I had a chance to see these in person at a coin show yesterday. I will admit that I thought the idea was stupid originally, but these are actually pretty cool looking in person. With that said, I prefer to own plain old 90% and generic silver bars/rounds (more bang for the buck). I should qualify that, *if* I were to buy gold or silver, I would try to get the most quantity, aka cheapest, versus paying huge premiums.

4. <SLV>

My goal is to buy 2 $5 gold coins and sell 1 of them so that my cost of owning the other is less than the value of the gold it contains.

CopperSilverGold likes this.
  5. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    Not a bad idea whatsoever, but I tend to get attached and have a hard time letting go, lol.

6. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

I agree totally. When I buy silver I buy 10 oz. bars but I will admit to a penchant for bullion ASE's and bars with interesting designs for which I will bite the higher premium.

When I buy Numismatic items (coins) I will buy them from the source (Mint) since this is usually the lowest premium at the time for this product. Containing a precious metal is part but not all of this investment. Totally different mindset from my metal purchases.

Precious metals and Numismatic items...two different beasts and two different approaches to purchasing them

7. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    This posts makes sense to me. As a silver art bar collector, technically 1-oz '70's silver art bars are considered bullion (to most dealers who sell them at .999 generic silver prices), I consider '70's silver art bars to be "semi-numismatics" given the fact that several of them have a rarity (collector) value on ebay and elsewhere. In my mind, 1-oz '70's silver art bars and generic precious metals are two different beasts and there are two different approaches to purchasing (and selling) them IMO. For example, in my case, I just buy old silver art bars because it is my hobby. I do not have any "regular silver" such as SAE's, Maples, JM bars, Engelhard and I do not plan to buy any "regular" silver at these current levels, however, I plan to continue to buy silver art bars that I am interested in collecting like I have been doing for the last 5+ years since I enjoy this hobby.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  8. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Went to the central fl coin club show in Orlando on Friday, they had these glove coins, jmho but I found them most unattractive and the few dealers I spoke with said they weren't going over too well so far, I did not inquire as to the pricing as I was just looking for old art bars, none of them to be had at reasonable prices, I did find some 5 gram jm bars with an oil derrick on the back for 4 bucks each so I got those.

9. Foxwoods Man

Really!....quite strange then that the gold would sell out in a day or so and the silver most likely will be toast in a couple of days. Maybe they weren't going over too well AT THE SHOW because their prices were unreasonably out there.

COMPLETED pre-sales on Ebay are around $700 for the gold and $80-100 for the silver and the silver is STILL for sale at the Mint....

10. gtopillado

gtopillado Seeker Seeker

Sales
    These are much more attractive in hand than with pictures.

11. Shortstack

I ordered 5 each of the gold coins on Friday 3/28/14 at 11:15 am. I went back to look at the status of this order and the cancel buttons are gone, with an order status of "Your order request is in process"

I think that is a good sign, but the quantity is two coins each, not the 5 I ordered. I would be happy with a partial fill (2 coins each as opposed to the 5 I ordered) as opposed to no fill.

If the above is real, and I have received an allocation, than there must have been a lot of cancelations between the original estimate sell out date and time (March 27th around 6:30PM).

It is a good sign when the "cancel" button is no longer available right?

12. PhucilliJerry

PhucilliJerry Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hmmmm, I ordered at 9:47 am and my cancel button is still there.

13. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Sales
    as of April 7, 2014, 9:30 AM ET

Product Option Sales
    $5 Gold Proof - 32,000
    $5 Gold Uncirculated - 18,000
    Total $5 Gold Coins - 50,000

Silver Dollar Proof - 238,636
    Silver Dollar Uncirculated - 127,704
    Total Silver Dollars - 366,340

91% of silver is sold

[resistance-is-futile] Ok, I bought some more. Not sold out as of this posting, but ship date is 7/7/14. [/resistance-is-futile]

Rcpb2000 likes this.
  14. <SLV>

My order still says "on hold." I'm wondering if it is because I specified a different shipping address, and I've never ordered directly from the Mint before. It says my 2 unc $5 gold are "reserved." From what I understand they fill the easy orders first (the orders without question marks). Originally I was told I had a ship date of 4/11 (Friday). We'll see... I keep checking every day.

15. Shortstack

I hear you, ordered 20 more of the silver (50/50 split) about 2 hours ago. Hopefully that $1,000 will be worth 3k+ once the millions of baseball fans discover these coins. Lots of big players on the US mint blog are doing the same thing.

16. Foxwoods Man

Yup, my order from the day before (Thursday) is still on hold. Strange that an order placed the next day would be in process

Oh, and from my first order: I got a ship notification last night for my beautiful bag and UPS says it's on the truck for delivery today. The freakin coins never come the next day but the bag does....and, of course, I have to sign for my bag.

<SLV> likes this.
  17. <SLV>

I wonder if all of the problems with check out on Thursday screwed up how the orders look on their end. I had to keep going back into the check out process multiple times. Maybe they have to go through and manually fix all of those orders.

18. ppius13

ppius13 Seeker Seeker

The people who will do well with these coins are those who had them graded early and were first to sell them. The prices will go down from there. Regarding baseball fans entering the coin market, driving up values, forget about it. They would rather own Carlos Beltran's rookie card than an oz of silver with an imprint of a generic baseball glove - convex, concave or otherwise.

Sellers are fetching about $300 for PCGS PR69DCAM (First Strike). Everyone is having them graded. Wait a year (or less) and the price will come down. There are over 237,000 of these coins minted. Just my $.02.

19. MrLucky

Gambling man
    ^^^ The one thing good about the coins I (and Shortstack) ordered yesterday, is that they have a 7/7/14 ship date. If interest wanes for this issue before then, I'll just cancel this order (as he probably will too). I'll keep the ones I ordered earlier as I want a couple for myself anyway.

Remember, numis are a game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Of the 2 types, I really like the MS better than the Proofs. But most regular people like shiny things, so those I'll sell.

20. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Yep. Obtaining the knowledge of finding and buying it at the "right price" and being able to flip it at the "right price" at the "right place" can lead one to a win in the numis game. If one of those variables is incorrect, then that person will lose in the numis game. I will have to admit that the curved baseball coin is very interesting but I am just going to watch on the sidelines to see how it does.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  21. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

While the bold line above is true on some level, it's also wrong at the same time. For starters, 95 to 98% of the items the US mint sells every year are essentially guaranteed losers from a financial perspective. The mint makes a truck load of products (I read an article two or three years ago that stated if you were to buy one of everything they offered it was well over 20k for everything) and most of those don't have a bright numismatic future. The reality is that a great deal of products are made for collectors and while there's always potential for any one item to escalate in price, most items don't simply because they sell so much of everything that demand will never really make a dent in supply down the road so many items depreciate or remain stagnate for years.

Having said all that though I think a lot of the mystery and guessing in modern numismatics can be removed by simply studying recent history and reading weekly sales reports. To put it simply, paying attention and watching for potential key coins as they develop can be very rewarding to those who do so and have the means to act when they see a clear buy signal.

22. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

IDK, solo, I don't think it is always that easy. The mint is pretty good at throwing curveball, and this latest one almost had me going down on strikes. I thought that the numbers minted would be too high for a sell out, based on lackluster numbers over the past couple of years and so was planning to stay on the sidelines. When I logged into the site I was impressed by the traffic jam that reminded me of the 2011 Eagles anniversary fiasco. I instantly changed my mind and decided to 'go in', and battled the system for over an hour before coming out with my order. I think I will do well with these coins. This is more than I can say for many other recent endeavors at the mint. Hind site is 20/20, but sometimes it is hard to see what is up ahead at the mint.

Foxwoods Man likes this.
  23. Foxwoods Man

DUDE! Those were/are my exact thoughts....I made the bad call that these (at least the gold) would no way sell out....major DUH! on my part ...and I went on the site at 12:10p just to see how easy it would be to order...and was hit with a 2 hour 19 minute wait!!! My "no sellout" opinion was toast at that point and I succumbed to the masses.....

24. PhucilliJerry

PhucilliJerry Gold Member Gold Chaser

Cancel button now gone, no change to item status though......

25. Solo

Well I never said it was easy, but I don't think numi's are a total guessing game either (at least not when it comes to the home runs). The way I've made most purchases since 2010 was by watching sales reports and then checking up on certain products often when it was becoming clear they were on the edge of selling out or had a chance to end low. This literally means checking the mint site multiple times every single day sometimes (in addition to watching the forums). It's an approach that doesn't work for everyone as it requires constant surveillance, but for those of us who work on a keyboard and don't have enough funds to load up on stuff without knowing they're winners, it's a method that works. Yes it's easier to simply watch the numbers and buy when something looks like it's going to do well (a method I would recommend to most here), but I often times need to flip a coin or two to pay for the others so I spent the extra time watching the items so I could buy them immediately upon going red.

The mint definitely throws us a curve every now and then and trips folks up. A lot of folks spent more than they should on Buchanan's when it looked like they were gone, only to have the mint press another run. The current baseball coin is certainly an oddity as well. I've flipped a fair amount of the last few $5 commen's and have watched the mintage for the last few stay well under 10k. On some level I wish I had flipped my way out of all my MoH's, Army, & SSB's as the after market has really softened for them. The point is though that having watched a number of commen's struggle to even approach 8k for the unc I was thinking there's no way the baseball coin would sell out in a day. Then again admittedly I had taken an extended break from the hobby and forums so I wasn't listening to the buzz about the coin so when I read folks in this thread wondering if they would get through on the first day or not I thought they were crazy given the fact the mint struggles to sell commen's. LOL boy was I wrong though as apparently there was a lot of buzz over this coin and most folks loaded up. I'm kinda of excited to see the coin now and on some level I'm pleased I missed it as it's a lesson to never take an extended break again :p. I'm definitely looking forward to watching this coin in the aftermarket over the next year or two as I have a feeling prices will come down significantly with time, but I think a lot of the long term demand for the coin will have to do with whether or not the mint continues making concave commen's. If they continue making them (and the coins look good as most everyone seems to love the baseball coin) there's probably a chance for the coin to appreciate in both the short term and the long term.

Lastly, I think it's wise to remind everyone that just because the mint started a new series and the item sold out in short order does not guarantee staying power. The Martha Washington spouse coins sold out immediately as well and those are melt bucket premium coins these days. Granted there's a world of difference between the two and you can just about bank on the baseball gold coins doing better, but I'm just trying to keep things in perspective and remind folks that sometimes the mint sells-out solely because it is a new type of item. Like I said above, it will be interesting to watch the bb coin and follow its premiums on the secondary market over the next year or two.

Happy stacking guys!

Grandpa Silver and <SLV> like this.
  26. Foxwoods Man

There are none left...

Proof and Unc

<SLV>, Grandpa Silver and Shortstack like this.
  27. Grandpa Silver

Grandpa Silver New Member Seeker

Less than a week and a half since they went on sale and initial advice on the forum said these coins were note worth "the silver they were minted from"! Hm.............:mad:

Solid support on solid subject matter upon which to base the birth of a new coin.

First ladies vs. "THE NATIONAL PASTIME"!!!!!:lol04:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  28. Lakeside

Lakeside Banned

Well the Bag came today, so...that's a plus.

<SLV> likes this.
  29. MrLucky

Gambling man
    I placed 2 separate orders, so I was eligible for 2 bags. One came in already. I just can't wait for the second to arrive.

My coins? End of April, middle of June, beginning of July.........

<SLV> likes this.
  30. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

Order was placed for 3 silver unc baseball coins (backordered for 4/24), 1 silver 5 oz Great Smoky Mountains coin (backordered for 4/24), and one clad ATB proof set.

Will be watching the status of the order in the coming days and whether it actually gets fulfilled.

Funny...after looking at my e-mail this morning, the availability of the baseball coins changed from 4/24 to 7/07.

Wondering whether I should cancel and replace the 3 silver baseball coins with a 2nd Great Smoky Mountains, in order to make sure the order gets fulfilled...

---

Cancelled the original order and placed a new one with a 2nd Great Smoky Mountains instead of the 3 baseball coins, just to make sure I get these coins on time.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  31. Deweydog

Deweydog Seeker Seeker

I have not ordered a "Franklin Mint" errr "Perth Mint" err "Royal Canadian Mint" err United States Mint modern made "coin" since the Ultra High Relief. I bought into the Dollar HOF issue.
    The theme and design give this one a little more desirability in my mind; it is a crossover piece...
    The "First Issue" "Early release" "Show release" label nonsense is a MAJOR con job to squeeze extra funds out of collectors.
    Untold mega quantities are pumped out on the new high speed coining presses daily.
    Just because a promoter received his a couple weeks before Joe average collector, does not make it any more valuable...pop them out of their plastic tombs, they are virtually identical.

I see Baltimore releases on fleabay for $500-$600..you could have bought 10-12 of the VERY same coin from the mint as of last weekend.

Lets hope this issue lives up to expectations...the ugly Mutt Civil right issue is lingering with few takers...it may be the "Home run" for future speculators.

32. <SLV>

As of yesterday my $5 gold order had been updated from "on hold" to "in process" and my bank account had been pinged!

33. <SLV>

Most recent sales on Ebay for COA gold coins "in hand" are $760/$810. The proof is still commanding a higher premium. I have to admit, that I think the style of the coin will look better in proof, but if you are making a full set you still have to get 1/18,000 unc $5 gold coins.

34. Layla

Layla New Member

My order from the mint arrived safely a few days ago. IMO the design and production quality are absolutely spectacular.

I think the one ounce proof might just be my favorite silver coin ever. I have you guys to thank for it because I would not have known about it if it wasn't for this thread.

Thanks y'all! :beer1:

HeavyMetal and <SLV> like this.
  35. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I remember the first set of hockey pucks going at the shows for over 5k, now they can be had for under 1500, question is how long the fervor lasts.

Oldmansmith likes this.
  36. badhop55

badhop55 Silver Member Silver Miner

37. Solo

I'm skeptical that such an error actually exists. If anything perhaps he received a coin that was struck through grease so the W is very light or missing entirely. In that case the luster where the W should be will look different from the rest of the coin. It's tough to make a call either way with the low-res pics provided... Now having said all that if anyone here receives one of these and would like to cash in immediately, contact me via PM and I will make it more than worth your while to sell while you will still maintain privacy and avoid eBay. I'll have to come up with a reasonable offer price, but at the very least you will make an instant four figure profit:cool:. I would like to obtain one example for myself, but in the event someone here receives duplicates I would also be willing to ebay them for you for a percentage based fee. I have bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of coins here on GIM (and GIM1, Kitco, CU forums, etc.), but if you need references just ask. Thanks guys :)!

hernancortes likes this.
  38. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

If a lucky someone gets one of these errors you can PM me your asking price as well.

39. MrLucky

Gambling man
    ^^ Wow. Two guys bidding for a coin that might not even exist. :favorites8:

It doesn't get better than this.

<SLV> likes this.
  40. Foxwoods Man

Just something to delay shipping the gold coins until the Mint now checks every freakin one of them....

Thanks to the finder for being a blabbermouth....