1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

New US Mint curved coin

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Piggybank, Mar 14, 2014.

1. AZ Ag

AZ Ag New Member

I haven't posted anything for a very long time. Hopefully I do this right.

I got my first HOF Baseball coins ordered. A Gold Proof and a Silver Proof. I am still waiting on the Uncirculated version. I am very impressed with the coin. I think it is a novel design and very attractive. The Silver Proof is beautiful. It is simple in presentation rather than cluttered like some coins are. The simplicity enhances the beauty. I believe these coins are winners. I only purchased 10 of the Silver Proofs. I wished I had purchased more. They will make very unusual gifts to true baseball fans, and at about $50 were pretty reasonable.

Solo and McBlzr like this.
  2. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

I finally received a shipping notice for the Unc silver HOF coins that I ordered in March. I had just about given up hope that I would get them. It looks as if they have about doubled in value. :cool05:

Hopefully, they aren't someone else's rejects that the mint is re-selling!

3. PhucilliJerry

PhucilliJerry Gold Member Gold Chaser

I received my shipping notice last night as well. Still nothing on the gold though, guessing I'm not getting that one......

4. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    I ordered, in silver, (2) proof, (2) unc. So far I've only received (1) proof coin and (3) delay notices. Something's really messed up here.

5. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Supposedly the mint does not do that, but I've placed orders before and received coins where I wondered the same thing ;). A family member just received his half dozen $1 proofs this week and asked me to pick the best two out for him and sell the other four at the show this weekend. In looking at the coins with a 10x loupe I could see some sort of flaw on 5 out of the 6 (to be fair I'm very picky and have good vision). However the graders use a 5x loupe and to be honest they can be soft at times especially if you're submitting early or in bulk. Anyway from what I saw in the 6 I examined closely I thought the quality was good.

On a related note, prices on the raw coins have been falling for weeks now as more and more come to the market. I could buy as many unc $1's as I wanted today at the summer FUN show for $80 (and that was what was marked so he probably would have taken less). I also saw the gold unc's for $625. IMO we're still a few weeks or months away from the absolute bottom on these as many more have yet to come to market so if you're considering selling any *now* is the time unless you want to ride them back up in a year, two, or three.

b_cahill and Shortstack like this.
  6. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

I have looked at three through a 30X loupe and they looked good at a quick glance. They are going out as presents to newborns. Three new mothers that I know gave birth in the spring and the wait for these has seemed long. I try to give a current year silver coin as a birth gift when possible and the Unc HoF coin seemed like a good choice this year.

Solo likes this.
  7. wproie

wproie New Member

I finally received my notice that this item is sold out. Well at least I got to pay $4.95 for a shopping bag that immediately went into to trash.

8. PhucilliJerry

Silver or Gold? What day did you place your order if you don't mind sharing?

9. wproie

wproie New Member

Sorry for not being more specific. One each of the Gold Proof and uncirculated. I believe I ordered it either the evening of the first day or the morning of the next. They were still taking orders at the time.

<SLV> and PhucilliJerry like this.
  10. PhucilliJerry

Damn, I ordered on the first day of the wait list for the uncirculated, guess I won't be getting it......

11. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

You will get your $4.95 credited back to you. I did....

Edited to add: never mind...you said you also ordered the PF so the shipping cost will stand (unless that one is also cancelled)

wproie likes this.
  12. wproie

wproie New Member

Oh you're right! I thought they cancelled the whole order but they are still claiming that they will send the proof by 8/10. Thanks for making me take a second look.

<SLV> likes this.
  13. badhop55

badhop55 Silver Member Silver Miner

I've still got a Gold Proof on backorder. The order was placed 28 Mar @ 2:17 PM.

14. Grandpa Silver

Grandpa Silver New Member Seeker

Heads up to my friends on the forum. The uncirculated silver HOF arrived at my home 1/2 hour ago and I'm sad to report that they have some quality control issues. 4 out of the ten had scrapes, scratches, dings. Ran into this years ago with the Boy Scout silver dollars, talked with a mint rep., sent them back and the response was sorry, none left and would not even send the ones I sent back, sent back to me. Talked with a rep. just now and after a discussion, they advised to keep what was sent, because they are at the end of the run. Another lesson or two learned, order twice what you want and send the rest back and try to be one of the very first to order. With all these months passing, I wouldn't be surprised if I got someones seconds. So I'm keeping what is sent. Anyone out there experience the same?

15. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

I guess I was lucky...my 6 (3 of each) looked great and all got 70's from NGC (late order not FS/ER)

Grandpa Silver, <SLV> and Mujahideen like this.
  16. MrLucky

Gambling man
    My unc (2nd order) came in great shape, which should make a reader here very happy, as I agreed to sell it to him. Now he just has to wait for the proof to come in.

Grandpa Silver likes this.
  17. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

I received my unc gold hof coin last week after nearly five months. I was afraid that it would be a return from someone else that was re-sold, but it looked good under a 30X loupe.

Solo, Grandpa Silver and <SLV> like this.
  18. MrLucky

Gambling man
    As of 9/8/14 NGC reports the following

2014-W Proof

PF70 - 3673
    PF69 - 400

2014-W Mint State

MS70 - 3045
    MS69 - 421
    MS68 - 3

Total graded : 7542

Perhaps someone can put up the pcgs numbers.

19. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

PCGS:

proof
    70 - 3547
    69 - 941
    68 - 3

MS
    70 - 2132
    69 - 756
    68 - 3

total graded : 7382

Solo likes this.
  20. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    So, what happened with these?

21. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I more than doubled my money selling my two gold Unc coins on Ebay in the weeks after I took delivery. I kind of wish I would have kept one just because I did think it was a beautiful coin.

22. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor

18 months later after I wrote the above post...............I broke down and bought one BHOF Uncirculated silver coin (in original mint packaging). I bought it at a small monthly coin show in the Greater Atlanta area that I went to earlier this morning. I paid $50 for it. It is a nice coin in my opinion. It is something different to add to the collection.

<SLV> likes this.
  23. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Here is what my BHOF Uncirculated silver coin looks like:

Attached Files:

b_cahill likes this.
  24. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

These coins are wonderful in conceptualization and execution. I think that sometimes the Mint does not get the credit it deserves.

Starter, b_cahill and Silver Art like this.
  25. SilverBuyer

SilverBuyer Silver Member Silver Miner

On the bright side you could just buy one now and probably pay a lot less than you sold yours for.

<SLV> likes this.
  26. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

27. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Starter likes this.
  28. Starter

The ones graded 70 are priced at $69 (with free shipping), which is about the same as original price + shipping + grading fee ($50 + $5 + $14). These numbers might be a few dollars off, but I think they are within the ballpark of the correct numbers.

For those who don't care about the box (like me), maybe this is the best option.

29. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Anyone else think they ended up with a batch of damaged coins and the marketing guys figured out a solution?

30. MrLucky

Gambling man
    I'd take the 70 and if I ever found the OGP (for sale), great, if not, oh well, no great loss.

But since I already have 1 of each with OGP, that's enough for me. But if I didn't, see previous sentence.

I would however like to find a gold on or two for a reasonable price.

Starter likes this.
  31. Starter

I just placed an order for a Baseball HOF MS70 silver dollar, signed by Cal Ripken, Jr.:rock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371507201598

This is the first time I have ever purchased a graded MS70 coin and also my first eBay purchase. I really hope that the feeling of receiving the coin is as good as the feeling of ordering it...

By the way, it seems that the PF version of this coin at grade 70 goes for a bit higher in price than the MS version. The ones I could find at PF70 seem to sell in the $100 range. Perhaps, after the MS70 coin is delivered, I may decide to buy a PF69 coin, at a lower price.

32. Starter

Here are photos of the coin:

IMG_1469.JPG IMG_1470.JPG

33. Starter

After being outbid on a few gold coins, I decided to settle for a PF 69 clad half dollar to go with my silver dollar I bought last year...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-S-BASE...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The price of this coin was $22, including shipping.

The same dealer was selling the gold baseball MS 70 at $499 a few months ago, which was above my estimated price. As it turns out, the gold ones are sold out at this time. I will probably just skip the gold baseball coin.

34. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Curved coins, what next will the mint do to overcharge the public, maybe square or trianlgle shaped coins. Hard to believe what prices get worked up to in buying frenzies isn't it, almost every issue has not held its original value, local dealer here went all in on the gold kennedy coins and ended up going out of business they fell so fast. Caveat Emptor

35. Starter

A closer look at the price history of the gold HOF coins over the last few months reveals that prices have dropped dramatically, especially for the MS 69 examples.

I now feel fortunate in having declined to buy an MS 70 gold coin at 499 dollars when it was available. Recent auction prices for this coin are now around 440 dollars.

The MS 69 coins took a huge dip in sale prices over the last few months, and I decided to take advantage of this price dip. Here is an auction I won today at 357.79:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-W-5-Go...199556?hash=item4d491e3a44:g:NRAAAOSwnQhXpPrT

With this type of special coin, I am sure there is still high demand even for the MS69 coins, but perhaps this dealer has not attracted the high-end bidders for this coin yet. I was prepared to pay 386.97 for this coin, but I did not need to in this case. Recent auctions of coins like this have ranged from 380 to 405.

I wish this dealer sold other coins besides the baseball HOF ones!

36. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Anyone remember the day when PCGS rarely gave out MS-69s? Then MS-69 became the standard and MS-70 was something you could only fantasize about. Now that they have grade inflated up to MS-70 what's next? The invention of MS-70+ or are they going to go the Spinal Tap route ("up to eleven" knobs) and start grading MS-71s?

37. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

PCGS is now .gov bought and paid for, dealers get a much higher % of 70s than you and I do as Ive compared my submissions to various dealers I know.

38. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

Bwaaahh haaaa haaaaa !

Yes in some way or collapse in that form of grading mirroring baseball cards.
    Unless it is sealed even deeper in plastic it's junk dude !

Comprehension of that line of demarkation, ms69's were no longer rare, purchasing before said may be advantageous... sort of.

The parallel my history chart incline towards is the collapse of interest in graded coins, like tulips or baseball cards.
    The imbalance of supply and demand, when anyone can have one, wains interest.
    Add greater suspicion of use of coin rather than gazing and fondling at and with awaiting richness of "My Preciousnessesesss".

Twain - "History does not repeat itself, it rhymes."

Got Chart ?

39. Starter

The coin arrived today!

I will post some pictures soon, probably in the Small US Gold Coins thread.

This was an MS 69 coin. If prices of the PF 69 gold coins continue to drop (one recently sold for 357, compared to the previously established price of 415), I may consider making a bid for a PF 69 one as well.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  40. Starter

Looks like this won't be happening, and that the low prices were the result of bidders just beginning to take notice of the new deals available with this dealer.

Yesterday the MS 69 gold coin moved up from 357 to 376, and the PF 69 one moved up from 357 to 382, as more bidders rushed in to take part in the action...