1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Death Spiral

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Irons, Oct 22, 2017.

1. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

The GOLDEN RULE ( with modification) : He who has the Gold Makes the Rules.
    1a. When the GOLD is gone "F" the rules.

2. goldielox1

goldielox1 Silver Miner Seeker

I've never like their pizza even when they weren't (known) traitors. I remember hearing all the hype about 15-20 years ago and decided to buy one. It was quite the disappointment. First and last time I ever bought one. I have had a few slices when it's been free at a party but definitely wouldn't pay a penny for it.

gringott likes this.
  3. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Being of full blooded Italian decent I can tell you that great pizza can only be found at little authentic Italian and Greek, especially family owned places. Chains deliver you cookie cutter products designed to address a wide variety of tastes. You don't get that at these places. You get what they got and you decide if you like it or not!

Alton, Uglytruth, gringott and 2 others like this.
  4. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Best pizza (and spaghetti) I ever had was when my daughter and I took a few days to travel up the French Riviera coast on up to San Remo, Italy. We stopped at little family cafes and enjoyed some really fine food, while watching the local play bocci, cards, or various other games. There is no take-n-bake place in CA that can compete with a real Italian restaurant.

Aurumag likes this.
  5. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Never had a papa john pizza, hell I couldn't tell you where one is located!

Best Pizza ever is Big Al's in Manistee MI. We get a large deep dish and bring it to the beach.

https://www.bigalspizza.net/

6. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

Seriously?
    The guy takes a stand, one we all enjoy, and gets skewered by some who've never even tasted his fast food pizza, it's not the worst, by a long shot and seriously, is there really a "bad" pizza?

No fucking wonder no one else wants on board

Bedside manner draws a larger crowd, perhaps worthless, IDK, time will tell, but its a hell of a lot harder to "find Waldo" when he's surrounded by a crowd

i just don't get it, now it'll be my turn?
    hope not but

Glasgow likes this.
  7. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    I believe I've just had an epiphany! Baby Jesus just took a warm dump on my brain and I can see his hidden massage. We're talking about pizza and entirely missing the point! Thank you Baby Jesus (you too Buck)!

Glasgow and Joe King like this.
  8. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I agree with Buck on this. When it come to chain pizza stores you get what you order. If you stick with with the chain's varieties you are going to get exactly that.
    I live on the edge of Suburbia all the major chains, most minors, and a croak load of Mom & Pop"s pizza joints are easily available. I'm not big on heavy sauce and as far as I'm concern all standard varieties are HEAVILY SAUCED, so I always ask for light sauce ( plus it saves one from burning the roof of one's mouth). Outside of pepperoni most joints are stingy with meats, and cheese(s) so I ask for "EXTRA".

SO. If you want to eat the pizza version of a Ford Pinto then order off the menu. If you want better like a Mustang GT then add pizza "ACCESSORIES" and make that pizza a personal work of art.

I'm very seldom disappointed with any pizza I order.

And "Papa John" Schnatter can spend his marketing dollars as he sees fit with whom
    he wishes.
    My WAG is he is just the first of the stampede out.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Glasgow and Joe King like this.
  9. Agavegirl1

Agavegirl1 Silver Miner Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

You will not believe me if I told you.
    And here we go...pizza discussion. Anybody notice that even mainstream media and wall street are weighing in? They are of course blaming the ratings drop on "cord cutting", the economy, shifting interests etc. You know, anything but kneeling, protesting or that sort of thing.

Treetop, Uglytruth, Irons and 4 others like this.
  10. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Papa John can do what he sees fit to do as far as the NFL is concerned. He is joined at the hip with them and has been for a long time. If the direction this thing is going is hurting his business well it makes sense to cut loose.

As far as pizza goes, I am from Chicago and grew up on Mom & Pop real Chicago pizza, not the deep dish tourist crap. Available everywhere in the Chicago area, and I was happy to find, in many places in Wisconsin when I used to vacation up there, all the way up to the far north. Traditionally, it comes in a paper bag that is puffed up to not touch the cheese on top. All the chain pizza I have had since leaving the area can't hold a candle to the real stuff. When I first came to Kentucky I had Papa Johns for the first time, it wasn't that bad. Over the years it got worse and worse IMHO. The major problem to me is the cheese and the sweet almost tomato candy sauce. I did an investigation on the cheese and it seems that there is a company that makes the cheese for a lot of chains, for sure they make the cheese for Dominos, Pizza Hut and Papa Johns, the cheese is based on how the chain prepares the pizza, as in how it is cooked, what temperature etc. The owner is the son of an Italian immigrant and is a multi-billionaire. Here is a link to the story on him and his company.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloes...se-pizza-hut-dominos-papa-johns/#418328024958

These chains use conveyor belt ovens rather than the traditional pizza oven that Chicago pizza is made in. This makes a big difference IMHO.
    I can order from any of the local delivery pizza joints in the area, or pick one up. Despite having a heavy cardboard box, and in the case of delivery, carried in an insulated container, the pizza is almost always barely warm by the time it gets to my home. Back in Chicago, a pizza in a paper bag always arrived hot enough to burn your mouth.

The last Papa Johns I ordered, about two weeks ago, was extra cheese, and Italian sausage. It arrived just above room temperature, the sausage tasted nasty and nothing like any Italian sausage I have ever had. The cheese was at best tasteless. I ended up tossing most of it in the trash. I will let another few years go by before I order again.

By comparison I made a Jack's cheese pizza yesterday. Cost for the frozen pizza was $3. I added some real mozzarella cheese to the top, adding about 75 cents in cost, popped it in the oven at 500 degrees [convection] for 10 minutes, and had a pizza that was better than any of the chains. If I want add ons, I sprinkle chopped green peppers from the garden, black olives, or whatever else I have laying around that I have a taste for. If I wasn't so lazy, I would make my own crust!

BigJim#1-8 and Mujahideen like this.
  11. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    I’m from upstate NY, only idiots or people who want delivery order franchise pizza. Mom and pops is where it’s at.

Irons, GOLDBRIX and gringott like this.
  12. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

420 healer
    Best pizza I remember was on the near north side of Chicago. Can't remember the name of the place, but they were famous for their double crust spinach stuffed pizzas. Awesome pizza, double crust inside stuffed with creamed spinach, top as you like, my fav, sausage and mushrooms. Yum.

Back to the grind...

13. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Great. GIM 2 now has it's own pizzagate.

gringott likes this.
  14. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

rumor that jerry jones and pizza guy are working together to take down the nfl commish

15. BigJim#1-8

BigJim#1-8 Silver Member Silver Miner

Pizzeria Uno, Due, Lou Malnatis, Giordanos, Home Run Inn & a multitude of Mom & Pop pizza joints.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    gringott and arminius like this.
  16. GOLDBRIX

Jerry Jones owns 100 Papa Johns stores in Texas. I'm sure J.Schnatter is a big fan of J.J. ( not Jimmy Johns).

I believe GoP ( Good Ol' Payton) owns a number of Papa Johns stores too.

17. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Love the infighting, don't you? Like 10 year old children!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    EO 11110 and Joe King like this.
  18. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    I live in BFE. Only thing available is chain. For my money it’s Papa Murphy’s thin crust. Not perfect but as close to a good eastern pizza as I can get out west.

What was the original topic?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    gringott likes this.
  19. Irons

Now that you mention it, they are making every excuse possible and dancing around what the real reason is!

20. hammerhead

Fecking Trump.

21. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

even garden variety neocons that i know are done with nfl. they dealt with the small protests last year. then this year the protests started growing and growing and growing......then chump spoke out and kicked it up a notch.

imo the former qb is working with nyc skype on this whole operation. for confirmation, see his million dollar book deal, other crap

skype are running the thing -- dumb players bought into it. it will be a long LONG time (if ever) before felons league recovers to where it was

22. goldielox1

goldielox1 Silver Miner Seeker

I actually enjoy some of the chain pizza places. But papa jokes is one of the worst I've tasted yet costs double of some of the others that are far better. It's got a premium price for a cardboard taste.

gringott likes this.
  23. GOLDBRIX

What do you expect ? After all PROG minds are in an alternate universe. You know Fantasy Land.
    They have inhaled far too much lead gasoline fumes when they were children living in Metro Land. Where is Wall Street? ANSWER : Metro Land
    LameStreamMedia ? Housed up in Metro Land.

Exposure to lead base gasoline fumes as kids "F'ed" up their brains. They probably ate chips of paint back then too. Jus Sayin

Irons likes this.
  24. Irons

I think they are seeing the power of the peasants tuning them out and are scared shitless. Their prog teevee shows are not doing well, hollywood is tanking with their shitty movies and now millions of us are telling a huge cash cow sport franchise to go 'F themselves. Millions.
    If they admit ratings are down that means ratings are way, way down.
    Their wallets are getting hit and the prospect of a ho hum/dead super bowl has got to be giving them huge anxiety. Good, eff 'em. They earned it.

25. jiikoo

jiikoo Seeker Seeker

Money is not their problem. Its the lose of power. Being on top.

"Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. (There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.)"

26. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Papa Johns is the foulest pizza ive ever ate, tried it twice too just to make sure it wasnt a bad pie, really sucks. Lil Ceasers is my fav

gringott likes this.
  27. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Let's get this show on the road. Enough talk!

28. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

3 weeks ago when LEAVING Italy I wandered into a small joint in the middle of a neighborhood. Best pie I had in 3 weeks bar none! Quattro Stagioni (4 seasons pizza) mushrooms, black olives, anchovies & artichokes. In quarters not all mixed together with thin ham on top. Light sauce, 1/8" thick (3MM) big air bubbles 3 minutes in the electric brick oven.

Also had some fantastic spaggetti with muscles & olive oil......

Well said sir! Well said.

gringott, the_shootist and Hystckndle like this.
  29. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

It would also seem there's this thing called "timing"

Not often spoken about in the MSM, more and more peasants are finding their money a bit stretched so, it's easy to make a choice as to where/when to cut any expenditures and when the product displeases and becomes uncivilized more than it already is, that becomes an easy choice of what to let go

As fickle as people are, I'm certain there are some who are finding a cheaper alternative, for their hobby time

If the economy really were doing well, we were all "wealthier", it would be a bit different as there are plenty of folks who just don't care what others think of their actions, regardless
    They can afford it, they're going to attend
    but I just don't think that's in play and the entire "act" is getting full traction against the NFL

NFL Owners are just so out of touch with their customer base, it's a business sin
    they've focused so long on the players and the players union versus themselves, they forgot about the donkeys who carry their load, their fans

30. Irons

NFL Continues to Suffer Massive Numbers of Empty Seats on Gameday

[​IMG]
    AP Photo/Ben Margot

by WARNER TODD HUSTON5 Nov 2017739

With the NFL facing cratering TV ratings, it is also important to note that fans are staying away from the stadiums, too.
    Fans have remarked on the sparse crowds at several games since last Thursday night.

For instance, Levis Stadium in San Francisco did not appear to have many fans in the seats.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]John Dickinson

✔@JDJohnDickinson

As a few others have noted. Sparse & or late arriving crowd at Levi’s Stadium this afternoon for C.J. Beathard vs. Drew Stanton

4:11 PM - Nov 5, 2017
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

Another Twitter user claimed that two thirds of the seats were empty this weekend.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Empty Seats Galore @EmptySeatsPics

Caption: "My estimate - 2/3 empty at kickoff. #49ers" #NFL#AZvsSF (http://bit.ly/2zi5vS6 )

4:08 PM - Nov 5, 2017

Many more pictures at the link..............http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/11/05/nfl-continues-suffer-massive-numbers-empty-seats-gameday/

31. hammerhead

Must not have good pizza at the games.

gringott and Buck like this.
  32. Irons

A slice and a flat beer prolly costs $300

Alton, gringott, Buck and 1 other person like this.
  33. GOLDBRIX

While at D.Q. ordering one of their new OREO-Hot Chocolate BLIZZARDS the store had the BUNGLES vs JAGs on their TV. While I was waiting I was looking at the seats in the back ground.
    There were empty seats in the Front Rows ( BIG $$$$) and about half of the upper levels were empty on both sides.

I heard the talking heads trying to hype up the attendance claiming "a Great Turn-out". Funny the camera NEVER shot the crowd while he was talking B.S.

gringott, Irons and Hystckndle like this.
  34. Area51

Area51 Silver Miner Seeker

Correct - - and that's the real reason behind the empty seats at NFL games. Pretending that people aren't buying tickets because of players not standing for the anthem charade is laughably naive.

When you're struggling to keep up the mortgage payments and the car payments, discretionary spending is the first to go.

If this was really just an anthem issue rather than an economic issue, the discretionary dollars would be spent elsewhere and you'd see NBA or MLB or NCAA attendance spike or an increase at the box office for movies.

The well is running dry for the bottom 80% of the population, my friends.

Aurumag and Buck like this.
  35. Area51

Area51 Silver Miner Seeker

Jacksonville has had shit attendance for years - - this is NOT an issue that just started this season.

That's why they always play a "home" game in England.

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  36. GOLDBRIX

The Jobless Numbers are way down compared to the Obama Years (4.3 vs 6+ percent), and Median Income is rising.

" In April, real median household income reached $59,361, according to the latest report from Sentier Research. That's up 2% since January, and is as high as it's been since February 2002. Expressed as an index, median household income was 100.9 in April, which is the first time this index has topped 100 since December 2008.

By comparison, this index was also lower when Obama left office than when he came in — it stood at 99.2 in January 2009, and was 98.9 in January 2017. It was just 1.7% higher than when the recession ended in June 2009. Last year, incomes barely budged, Sentier data show.

Another way to look at it: median income has climbed faster in President Trump's first three months in office than it did during 7-1/2 years of Obama's economic "recovery."....

Read More : https://www.investors.com/politics/...median-household-income-reaches-15-year-high/

Irons likes this.
  37. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    I don't know who's jewing who any more!

gringott likes this.
  38. GOLDBRIX

Ya just had go there AGAIN didn't ya t.s. ? :drive by: :bang head:

39. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Don't ever forget!
    jewdar.gif

40. BigJim#1-8

BigJim#1-8 Silver Member Silver Miner

Alton, Aurumag, gringott and 5 others like this.