1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

NFL TV ratings get thrown for another double-digit loss

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Goldhedge, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    not nearly enough! They forget to mention taking a knee...

NFL TV ratings get thrown for another double-digit loss

By Scott Kelnhofer
    on September 20, 2017

Any NFL coach will tell you that two weeks does not a season make. Any network TV executives are hoping that adage holds true when it comes to the NFL’s television ratings.

Two weeks’ worth of games, and the news seems to be getting worse when it comes to the league’s TV ratings.

After the league’s opening weekend saw TV ratings fall 12 percent from the same weekend a year ago, it was easy to point to the amount of attention focused on Hurricane Irma’s landfall in Florida.

But in a hurricane-free Week 2, the slide continued. Ratings dropped 15 percent compared with Week 2 of last year.

And remember, last year’s ratings were down 8 percent from 2015.

The numbers are now reaching lows the NFL and its TV partners have not seen in many years.

For instance, CBS averaged an 8.4 ratings for the games it broadcast Sunday. That’s the lowest for a Week 2 where the network didn’t have doubleheader games since at least 1998.

For the first two weeks of the season, CBS games have averaged 13.9 million viewers, a drop of nearly 10 percent from last year.

NBC’s Packers-Falcons game drew 20.2 million, making it the least-watched Week 2 “Sunday Night Football” game since 2008. NBC’s three prime-time games so far this season — the two Sunday night games and the Thursday night season-opener — had 22.1 million viewers, a 7 percent decline from last year.

Fox, which has had the coveted national doubleheader games the first two Sundays of the season, has averaged 24. 4 million viewers, a 3 percent drop from its first two doubleheader games last season.

Not all ratings news was bad for the league. Last Thursday’s Texans-Bengals game on NFL Network — hardly a masterpiece of football fundamentals — was watched by an estimated 8 million viewers, a 32 percent jump over the average viewership for Thursday games on NFL Network last season.

Reasons for the decline in ratings range from on-the-field issues — poor quality of play, less-compelling matchups — to off-the-field topics — national anthem protests, boycotts organized by those who think the NFL is racist because Colin Kapernick is unsigned — to the basic reality that the NFL is broadcasting more games than ever at a time TV viewership has declined across the board.

The good news for the networks is that NFL games still draw far better numbers than just about any other program, especially among pro sports. Last year, for instance, 31 of the 100 highest-rated programs on TV were NFL games.

The bad news is the networks pay far more for NFL broadcast rights than any other sport, so lower ratings mean lower ad revenues.

The league has tried to slow the ratings decline this season by cutting the number of commercial breaks per game and allowing players to engage in more colorful end zone celebrations.

Those changes may pay off eventually. But two weeks into the season, the early results are not encouraging.

phoneman, GOLDBRIX and gringott like this.
  2. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

and end zone dancing is going to do it?

LOL

phoneman, mayhem, mtnman and 4 others like this.
  3. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

A decline in spectator sports is indicative of people getting smarter.

4. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    As much as I would like to believe this, I think it has to do with other distractions which are more popular than sports.

Howdy likes this.
  5. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Like hollywood we pay these monkeys to entertain us. When they stop doing that we stop watching.
    Pretty simple.

Ensoniq, phoneman, mtnman and 4 others like this.
  6. jiikoo

jiikoo Seeker Seeker

I have noticed that not many people watch college football games on youtube today than previous years. for example:

army vs navy 2015, 100000+
    army vs navy 2016 , 15000+

Someone_else and gringott like this.
  7. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Bread and circuses but what fun is a circus if you can't afford a skin full of wine.

Someone_else and Howdy like this.
  8. Howdy

They decide how to entertain us and we're attracted like moths to a flame.

9. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    My NFL viewership remains at the lifetime average of zero.

phoneman, mayhem, louky and 8 others like this.
  10. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I am more prone to watch college football games than the NFL.

When Millionaires fight Billionaires the games pretty much lost me, and that's for Baseball and Basketball too. TV contracts became so lucrative that BUTTS in the SEATS no longer mattered.
    Then Owners like the Bengals Mike Brown got Corporate Welfare Deals from their communities most got FREE STADIUMS. Mike Brown got total control of the facility. NOTHING goes on in that stadium without his permission. PLUS If the Bengals fail to sell "X" number of Season Tickets the county is on the hook to make up the difference.

Yeah, The citizens on welfare get to go the games sitting in those "Free Seats", but a regular 9-5 guy that works for a living, and has kids he'd like to take to a BENGAL Game ( Only the Lord knows why) still pay FULL PRICE and sits up so high they need to buy oxygen tanks up in those last two rows of seats. YET his taxes PAID for the Stadium and the subsidized Season Tickets that were not purchased by fans.
    That dad and family get a better view of the city landscape than they do the actual football game.

11. Irons

Provide entertainment = get pay pellet. That is the limit of their requirements.

Become boring and not entertaining = No pellet for you!

FWIW I have not watched teevee or movies in decades and have never been a sports spectator.
    The detroit lions will do that to a young boy, kill any/all desire to watch sports.

12. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

That's Funny Right There. I don't care who you are THAT is FUNNY.

Irons likes this.
  13. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I think the Lions' front office still thinks Barry Sanders is bluffing about retirement and will be back next season.

Hystckndle and Irons like this.
  14. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

That's the pisser of it right there. The tax payer owns the stadium but other than a few concession stand operators get the benefit.

tom baxter likes this.
  15. Irons

BOOM! Trump on NFL Player Protest: “Get That Son of a B*tch Off the Field – He’s Fired!” (VIDEO)
    September 22, 2017 by Cristina Laila 93 Comments

President Trump lashed out at NFL players protesting the national anthem on Friday while at a campaign rally for Senator Luther Strange (R-AL).

[​IMG]

The crowd went wild after Trump said, “Wouldn’t you love to see one of the NFL owners, when someone disrespects our flag, to say ‘get that son of b*tch off the field right now! Out! He’s fired! He’s fired!”

The crowd erupted into cheers and started chanting USA! USA! USA!

Trump predicted that at some point an NFL owner will eventually fire a player protesting the National Anthem.

Video:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...otest-get-son-btch-off-field-hes-fired-video/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    phoneman, Son of Gloin and gringott like this.
  16. hammerhead

Operative wording is "Wouldn't you". Internet is going nuts claiming President DJT is infringing on 1A.

Irons likes this.
  17. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Since when do lefties respect the Constitution?

18. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Here's the thing IMHO. It is freedom of speech to keep a knee. The video Scorpio posted yesterday has more meaning to me than the Fabric Sky God. I think this is more of the problem/solution dichotomy. Who gives a f*&^ if Kapernick didn't stand? To hear his unedited comments, I have to agree with the man. He basically said "look at the crooks in Washington, you want me to stand for that?" Of course that unedited version isn't what is played by the MSM over and over. The other part of the solution is that this IS NOT NEWS WORTHY. The only reason we know about this intransigence is because it is brought to us by the MSM. Really, who gives a f*&^? What Kapenick and others do is a teaching opportunity. If you see a junkie laying on the street you can say "Hey junior, look at that junkie. How would you like to live like that? Better stay off heroin." The same applies to these grown men playing children games. "Hey junior, here's why he is protesting and this is not/is the appropriate setting and here's why.

This whole circus is brought to you by the ring leaders and it is designed to whip the masses into a mass delusion. Idiocracy!

What Trump said on the issue is, in essence, destroying the 1st Amendment. They are not protected from being fired by their employers but Trump has no business trying to make these dictates from the federal government.

19. nowon

nowon Seeker Seeker

NFL, neurotrauma fricking loosers....which caring parent wants to have their son end up with chronic violent tendencies and scrambled memory?

gringott and the_shootist like this.
  20. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Yeah, watching negros chimpout and do a jungle dance after every touchdown was the missing piece! These guys are brilliant!

mtnman, Buck and gringott like this.
  21. Irons

Our President is a master at saying out loud what real people are thinking while at the same time sending the leftist cunts into a hair pulling tizzy.
    It also isolates the leftist cunts. There really isn't that many of them and the other 70% of the country doesn't care what they think.

22. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Its not about the crooks in DC, its about respect for those who gave their lives , limbs, families, to serve what was once a great nation, he disrespects those by not honoring the flag, him and any others should be fired, none of them gave squat. I was never a pro sports fan and never will be, my wife is, but against her wishes I cancelled her NFL ticket and told them dont ever call again about it, I wont support people who piss on the once great flag.

(((He basically said "look at the crooks in Washington, you want me to stand for that?" Of course that unedited version isn't what is played by the MSM over and over)))

23. mtnclimberjim

mtnclimberjim Gold Member Gold Chaser

Guide///District maint manager
    Yep, I shut the NFL off years ago.

Son of Gloin, southfork and gringott like this.
  24. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Missing the point but, oh well.

stoli likes this.
  25. hammerhead

It seems people are just becoming aware of the longer term effects of smashing heads.

gringott likes this.
  26. nowon

nowon Seeker Seeker

More widely known, no thanks to the NFL and their efforts to keep that little bit of trivia out of their customer's hands. The brain damage has been documented in pro, college and even high school football players.

Anyone who saw the PBS Frontline show on the issue knows how they persecuted Dr. Bennet Omalu (Allegheny County Coroner's Office in Pittsburgh), who discovered the problem and let people know about the potentially deadly risk.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...nial/the-frontline-interview-dr-bennet-omalu/

gringott likes this.
  27. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Personally, don't care at all what they do as to the national anthem. Consider the source.

I pay respect personally but it should be every person's choice.

When I lived in Honduras I stood at attention for their national anthem, played every morning at the school where I worked. I considered it a matter of respect. And trust me, that anthem was long.

To each his own.

28. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

In 2000, I attended a Thursday night game between Jacksonville and Pittsburgh in Jacksonville. As a military member, I went on base and purchased my ticket at a reduced rate. The ticket I purchased was for the upper deck, endzone (pretty bad seats when you get down to it). I paid $60 for one ticket. When I got to the stadium, I paid $20 to park. I bought a beer at the game for about $10. So all told, $90 to watch millionaires run up and down a grass field tackling each other for a ball. That's the only NFL game that I'll ever attend.

That was 17 years ago...I can only imagine what ticket prices are today.

EDIT: I just looked it up. It was actually Dec 2, 1999.

gringott and southfork like this.
  29. tom baxter

Retired now
    Originally it was a way for people to get exercise and for a community to come together and socialize. Then someone figured out a way to make a profit from it and now everyone stays at home and gets fat drinking beer and eating pizza. It's actually a part of the American way I believe, capitalism, free markets and all that.

gringott likes this.
  30. Howdy

Lot's of things are marketed as being "American", but we need a way to differentiate between what is really American and what has been foisted on Americans. If America's Founding Fathers practiced or advocated something, then it would be fair to characterize it as American. Our Founding Fathers did not really advocate spectator sports.

tom baxter and gringott like this.
  31. Buck

If anyone wants a safer NFL, remove their helmets and body armor.
    It'll be brutal for the first few years but after that, the players will learn to play differently just to stay alive
    Think Rugby
    Besides:
    The world elite aren't interested in World US Football, they only want World European Football

But this reminds me of when the US Government got into GM. They attacked the NFL at the same time. MLB avoided lots of anguish as did the NBA because they're protected by the tax code where the NFL has capitulated around the tax code and Congress/the Gov is taking advantage IIRC what I've previously read
    Like GM, the economy, health care, and now the NFL, where the Gov gets involved, business takes a dive
    I suppose the NFL could go asking for more subsidies from their respective cities but what happens when the well runs dry?
    What will the Union say when a rookie has to take a pay cut because the fans aren't turning out to watch any of 'em

I think this is only painful if you watch

Good Bye NFL, it was nice to know you, watch you grow from a corrupt college system to a corrupt professional system supported by a still corrupt college system which is supported by corrupt high school systems:2 thumbs up:

32. GOLDBRIX

Which has been under total PROG Control since 1972. Some would say even earlier.

33. Buck

Agreed
    I think few have any real problem with any "club" program
    From sports to friends, we all understand how a club works
    Become a member, follow basic society rules, follow club rules and "have fun"

When clubs suddenly find themselves having to follow "new rules" brought about by pressure from outside activist groups, that's another thing altogether

The NFL failed to protect themselves years ago and leading up to where they find themselves today, what I find interesting, is, even IF Hillary had won, I don't see how that would have been any better for them, at all

The NFL deserves what they get, they made their own bed, they reap what they sow, they genuinely fucked up because even IF the NWO didn't like American Football, I would suspect a billion dollar enterprise would have some type of contingency plan to "keep it going for as long as possible" and I'd have to think that an Anti-American Theme is NOT the right theme to portray, especially in your sport of "warriors" who have a large population of felons and illiterates who happen to find themselves to now be millionaires

LOL, I'll bet some knuckledragger in the NFL, somewhere, would have trouble spelling millionaire
    LOL

It's too bad they also didn't understand how expansion would require the addition of players with questionable what? skills? character? legal status? language barriers? financial skills? mental disorders? health issues?

The NFL will adjust or they'll disappear
    I'm sure some of the owners can "hang on" until then, but, I bet a few can't and we see some teams change hands

Oh, and the Unions

34. hammerhead

The Patriots are on a roll so people around here are still paying.

35. tom baxter

Retired now
    I was referring to the practice of charging people to enter a stadium, paying players to play and selling television rights. I think it would be fair to say none of that was practiced when those founders of your nation were alive. American culture has infused the whole globe. Coke a cola and Pepsi is in every nation, Your television shows are re-broadcast in every nation, the list is endless. When was the last time you saw the Australian prime minister on your news? Trump in on our news every night nearly. You cannot see it because you are within.

36. Howdy

I agree sort of, but what is billed as "American culture" is not American culture. Media doesn't report culture, it leads it. Now our culture is a reflection of Hollywood.

Someone_else, gringott and GOLDBRIX like this.
  37. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Sorry about that.

38. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    ...and most Americans hate what Hollywood has become

Someone_else likes this.
  39. louky

louky Silver Member Silver Miner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. louky

louky Silver Member Silver Miner

phoneman, GOLDBRIX and gringott like this.