1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

North Korea unintended consequences

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Weatherman, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Metals are up sharply this morning.

Metals up.jpg

The "news" will say it is just because of rising tensions in the world, but I wonder if Trump may have painted the USA into a corner where it has no choice but to do battle with North Korea and China. If China does not give in to Trump's press for China to take a heavy hand against North Korea, then I see no face saving way for Trump to avoid war in Korea. Three days ago, I sent the message below to a friend by email. If metals continue to thrust higher, I will hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Part of an email I sent to a friend on April 8:

Metals bounced up on news of the Syria airstrike, but then gave up most of the gains. My view is that the airstrike had nothing to do with Syria, but everything to do with the simultaneous summit with Xi Jinping. Trump already said he would press China to tighten its leash on the North Korea pit bull. I see the timing of the airstrike as a pointed message to China that the same fate could be delivered to North Korea if China does not restrain their nuclear program.

Let's all hope that China decides to better control North Korea, but my WAG is that there could be major unintended consequences. Russia's reaction is far from predictable, and China may feel the need to pursue a different course. China could worry that the airstrike shows that Washington is not well controlled. That potential view of a less stable USA adversary, combined with announced plans to substantially ramp up the defense budget, could push China to stop giving the money for new "toys" to the USA in the form of "loans" that will never be repaid. My Wild A$$ Guess is that China might decide to escalate the schedule for pulling the financial rug out from under the USA as a way to reduce the military threat. You can guess as well as I about the resulting plunge in the US$, and the skyrocket in metals prices. I hope that financial instability does not happen, but it seems prudent to consider the possibility.

Pyramid, ctrl-z and smooth like this.
  2. Weatherman

<SLV> likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

Leakage or pollution? Is that all?

What happens if NK strikes something significant with one of their "tests"?
    what if it's significant enough that it makes China happy?

4. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Now if our back alley boys were as good at ‘false flags’ actions like some think the Syrian chemical attack was, why don’t they just gin up a little ‘false flag’ for the Chinese making it appear as if they were calling China’s bluff?

BF

<SLV> likes this.
  5. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

China put 150k troops on the border. It was interesting that they did not go into NK. It's also very interesting about all this and the recent assassination of Kim's brother. I bet they were going to off Kim and install his brother. That's what it looks like to me.

You don't want a nuclear Japan. They would wipe out NK and China and sleep very well. I think that's their concern.

6. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Fat Boy's days are numbered!!

mtnman likes this.
  7. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Sorry to say someone is going to push the button, dont know if it will be nuclear but the dogs of war are howling and Trumps war dogs are pushing him to escalate, I personally think we have no business over there, the markets going to tank big time, so far it looks like metals will go up, not sure how high though, I suppose it would depend on the level of escalation of things, JMHO

D-FENZ, Uglytruth and andial like this.
  8. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

North Korea is no real threat to anyone but itself. Let communist China deal with their long-lost, inbred, half-brother of the small communist shithole that is North Korea. If communist China wants to be a big boy and control all of southeast Asia, this may be their next test.

What’s China’s financial recourse against the U.S.? They could call in debt and sell U.S. Treasuries to the tune of $1.2 billion and ruffle the bond markets short-term, but that would kill the Yuan. Also no way that they could curb exports, reduce factory production and the slave labor of millions of oppressed Chinese workers. Sprawl-Mart and other U.S. and globalist retailers own them and they know it.

Let Kim Jung-Un learn the hard way he has no true allies.

Mujahideen likes this.
  9. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    IMG_1053.jpg

Ensoniq likes this.
  10. Weatherman

11. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
  12. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

1 nuke high over Kansas City will cripple the USA.

One single nuke, if designed to give off the biggest possible EMP will have us warring with each other over a grain of over cooked rice.

I just don't see how the Korea issue ends without a nuke going off. If I were South Korea I would tell the USA to fuck off.

Son of Gloin likes this.
  13. Weatherman

China is preparing for something with their military, but who knows what? An optimistic view is that China may be getting ready to invade North Korea and put an end to the nuclear threat. A pessimistic possibility is that China is preparing to defend the DMZ to prevent South Korea and the USA from invading North Korea. The only thing I am confident about is that China will not allow North Korea to be taken over by South Korea. China likes the insulation from South Korea that North Korea provides. These three articles point to a lot of activity by China:

Trump call.jpg
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...ly-calls-chinas-president-discuss-north-korea

Clipboard02.jpg
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...-never-seen-measures-if-they-dont-de-escalate

Clipboard01.jpg
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...lls-military-be-ready-move-north-korea-border

14. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

If we still had a space shuttle, we could just go capture NK's sats and see what they are.

What do think one over NKorea would do?

Whatever happens, I just hope it's not us taking the first shot. IMHO, a People and their nation should be able to do whatever they want with their resources, as long as they do it within their own borders. Go outside the borders? Then ya can bomb 'em into the stone age.

mayhem likes this.
  15. Mujahideen

Piss off china and South Korea. I don't think they like nuclear fallout.

mayhem likes this.
  16. Joe King

Then they shouldn't like bubble butt setting off nukes right next door, either. That causes more local fallout than would a high altitude detonation.
    A high altitude detonation over NKorea would probably give us a better chance of getting the fallout than them.

17. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-ne...ble-to-accommodate-entire-population_04122017

BREAKING: North Korean Officials Begin Evacuation Of Pyongyang: “Bomb Shelters Will Not Be Able To Accommodate Entire Population”
    Mac Slavo
    April 12th, 2017
    SHTFplan.com
    Comments (37)
    Read by 6,396 people

[​IMG]
    North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is preparing for nuclear war, according to a report released just moments ago at Pravda.ru.

As the U.S. Naval fleet moves rapidly towards the Korean Peninsula and Kim Jong Un prepares to test a nuclear device promising a “day of the sun” in response to perceived U.S. aggression, some 600,000 residents of the North Korean Capital have been ordered to leave the city immediately.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ordered 25 percent of Pyongyang residents to leave the city immediately.

In accordance with the order, 600,000 people should be urgently evacuated. Experts note that the evacuation will most likely be conducted due to extremely strained tensions in relations with the United States of America.

Reportedly, Pyongyang’s bomb shelters will not be able to accommodate the entire population of the North Korean capital. Therefore, 600,000 people – mostly individuals with criminal records – will have to leave Pyongyang to let others use bomb shelters.

It was also said that one modified Ohio type rocket carrier carrying 154 Tomahawk type missiles on board joined the US Navy deployed near the coast of the Korean Peninsula. The missile carrier is expected to arrive at the port of registration on April 18.

Meanwhile, according to South Korean media, residents of the DPRK say goodbye to each other, to their homes, to their places of work, to forests and fields, to the sky, rivers, etc as if the nation prepares for a large-scale war. At the same time, it is forbidden to say goodbye to officers of law enforcement agencies. It is also strictly forbidden to mention the names of national leaders in words of farewell.

Source: Pravda Report

Original Report via Pravda.ru

China has massed 150,00 troops on the North Korean border, reportedly in anticipation of a wave of refugees in the event of hostilities. On Wednesday morning China put its troops, including armored and mechanized brigades, on high alert and has threatened to take direct military action on North Korean nuclear facilities.

On Tuesday the United States Navy deployed submarine hunting aircraft off the coast of California, with some reports speculating that a North Korean submarine had been spotted.

With a U.S. Naval Strike Group approaching North Korea and Un showing no signs of backing off from his threat to test a nuclear device, the world could well see more in the way of nuclear detonations than just a test in coming days, so we urge readers to be prepared for an emergency. The incident off the west coast involving submarine hunting aircraft and support vessels suggests any number of North Korea’s submarines could be awaiting a retaliatory strike against targets on U.S. soil should President Trump order military action.

It appears that following discussions between President Trump and Chinese President Xi, the Peoples’ Republic is standing firm against North Korea and could possibly take the lead in responding to North Korean aggression. This could potentially divert a disastrous conflict involving the U.S. Though it would likely be brief, if North Korea has nuclear armed submarines within range of the United States the consequences of a military conflict could be devastating.

18. nickndfl

That's a lot of bicycles hitting the road.

Brio likes this.
  19. Weatherman

20. Buck

600,000 will be urgently evacuated
    Mostly criminals

Will they be evacuated to a place with shelter?
    Will they be let out of jail first or will they be mocked because they didn't evacuate?
    Will it cost them anything to be let out of jail first?

Kim, that's a funny first name for a man
    LOL

21. Joe King

I think Kim is the family name. His "first" name is "Un" I believe.
    ...and there's at least one cool guy I know of named Kim. That'd be Kim Mitchell (the Canadian musician) If you haven't heard of him, check him out. He's got at least a few good songs.

22. Buck

You're probably right
    I was thinking of the Johnny Cash song, Boy Named Sue

But now that you mention it:
    7-Up

The Un-Cola

(sorry cadburry or whoever currently owns 7-up)

23. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

24. Joe King

I realize they have that, but it's unmanned. Not sure if it'd be possible to snatch the sat without people there.
    ...but I'm only saying to do that if in fact it is a nuke up there. If it's not a nuke, then let it stay up there. Every nation has the Right to peaceful access to space IMHO.

25. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    china moving troops to border is probably to deter illegal immigration/refugees .... :) .....maybe they should build a wall..... :)

Ensoniq, Aurumag and mayhem like this.
  26. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    The first wave of 600K is on the march...

27. Weatherman

The Chinese-language Boxun News says that North Korea is likely to test another nuke on 4/25, which is coincidentally the date the much feared USA debt ceiling must be raised or the government will be forced to shut down. Washington is talking about a preemptive strike in advance of another nuke test. Things could get interesting n the next few days.

4-25.jpg
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...est-probability-day-north-korean-nuclear-test

Some voices are being raised against a war in North Korea, but it is not clear that the key people are listening.

War.jpg
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-19/what-war-north-korea-would-probably-look

28. Weatherman

29. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Saber rattling, this could go on for months if not years. Lots of posturing and back room discussions going on. Trust NOT anything you read from self proclaimed journalists...they aren't in those discussions.

30. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    OverOver likes this.
  31. Weatherman

32. wallew

wallew Gold Member Gold Chaser

Retired - no job, no money
    We don't have to 'go to war' with CHINA.

We just close our borders to all their cheap stuff they are currently dumping on the US consumer market. Their economy would fall by at least half, perhaps more.'

Our economy would suffer without cheap foreign goods, but we could get over it. And we would not lose half of our economy if it happened. China could, because we buy way more of their stuff than everyone else.

It won't be bombs or threat of war that brings China back to sanity. It will be the loss the US MONEY that will.

D-FENZ and mtnman like this.
  33. nickndfl

Give the Japs some nuclear weapons and an aircraft carrier. Xi will crap himself. Japs could take North Korea in a few days.

34. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

Me thinks N. Korea is a Chin vassal state when 95% of their trade is with China....

If this is true, then NK is a Chin political proxy being employed by Bejing as a negotiating tool as the "new order" a.k.a. new system is being negotiated by world leaders & special vested interests.

Put another way, China could "shut down" Kim in 3 days or less by cutting or curtailing trade flows... but they havent..... therefore Lil Kim is Bejings puppet! Globally it looks better for China to use N.K. as the boogie man, just like the U.S. employs proxy terrorists in MENA & Syria to negotiate strategic economic & political objectives.

35. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    One, Ohio Class Submarine, could neutralize North Korea's Military in a few minutes.

36. Mujahideen

Why doesn't the USA end the Korean War and mind its own business, North Korea and the USA are not really in a position where they would likely be rivals if everyone mined their business...

This seems like a problem for the slanted eyed people to deal with on their own. Lord knows they are smart enough to figure it out...

Or is that the plan? To keep them divided? Like the Middle East after ww1?

37. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Because A) Il is a lunatic hell bent on destroying US. He won't stop til he achieves intercontinental ballistic missile capable of such and launches. And B) we signed a treaty promising to defend Japan after WW2 in exchange for them forfeiting military.

38. Mujahideen

This sounds like Kool-Aid.

He would not be concerned about the USA if we were not in his business.

39. Weatherman

Mujahideen,I disagree. The Korean war was fought to prevent North Korea from taking South Korea by force, and they have wanted to do that ever since. The only thing that has stopped NK has been the presence of the USA. If the USA pulled out, NK would immediately threaten SK with surrender or annihilation. China has supported NK to insure that SK cannot take over, and be a persistent thorn in the side of China. Since China does not like Japan much either, my guess is that NK would also threaten Japan with a nuclear ultimatum. The NK mouse that roared would then set its sights (with nukes on rockets) on the USA.

Retreat is not an option for the USA, and neither is trying to bribe NK to play nice. If China does not apply appropriate pressure to remove the fangs from their NK pit bull, I think that a "shock and awe" military attack to demonstrate resolve is essential to prevent NK from getting strong enough to actually launch an attack against the USA. In addition to retaliation against Seoul, the greater risk is that China could decide to double down in defense of NK. That could trigger a full war between China and the USA. Then Russia might not choose to sit passively on the sidelines, and a full scale world wide nuclear war could result.

My hope is that China will tighten its leash on NK enough to forestall a shooting war. If China does not rise to that occasion, then my last hope is that they will choose to not escalate a fight in the Koreas into a global war with the USA.

searcher likes this.
  40. Mujahideen

So you are saying that the USA is forever stuck in Korea then.

NK could not take over SK even with nukes. SK is not defenseless.

The USA being there is what is preventing peace.