1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Northwest Territorial Mint

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by PacificAg, Apr 2, 2010.

1. PacificAg

PacificAg New Member

http://bullion.nwtmint.com/

Anyone purchased from these guys recently? My last purchase was years ago and wondering what the buying experience is like recently.

Got to Love those Pan American bars!

2. wjv

wjv Seeker Seeker

Their general reputation is:
    They will deliver. . . Eventually. . .
    Eventually may be a long long long time. . . (months)

3. ccjoe

ccjoe Gold Member Gold Chaser

commodities investing
    They're terrible. I don't know who's worse, them or Monex?
    Strictly Hannes Tulving for > major purchases or APMEX for smaller stuff. Those two companies are all you need to know.

PacificAg likes this.
  4. curmudgeonista

curmudgeonista Banned

I had a pretty good experience with them with an order placed late in 2008. I went into the purchase knowing that the delivery date was estimated for about 3-months off, but physical was scarce and their prices were good at that time (if you didn't mind waiting for delivery). My shipment ended up arriving in 6-weeks, about half the wait time I'd anticipated.

It doesn't look like their small-order pricing is all that outstanding right now, but their "Signature Bullion" (NWT & Pam-Am items they mint in-house) are nice. At this moment I'd probably not order with them, but if supplies tighten and premiums go up elsewhere I'd consider them a good option in certain circumstances.

stAGgering and PacificAg like this.
  5. WillieTheKid

WillieTheKid New Member

They are in my back yard (I'm in Seattle, they are in Auburn, WA about 30 miles away), so I checked them out thoroughly and found that most buyers were unhappy with their service, but most were happy with their prices and willingness to sell when the market is tight. Each individual needs to weigh the pros and cons of this company, but the general consensus is that the cons outweigh the pros. From the research I read, I made the decision to not buy from them despite their favorable proximity.

--Willie

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    PacificAg likes this.
  6. PacificAg

PacificAg New Member

Given the above feedback, anyone know of a reliable second source for Pan American 100oz bars?

7. pay dirt

pay dirt Gold Member Gold Chaser

Didnt they move or going to move to Nevada?

8. Dealing with Ross eh????

Go ahead.........pick it up.

Attached Files:

9. PacificAg

PacificAg New Member

Hmmm - It's only 10 ozs - - - - At 18FRN an oz.........Nahhhhh I'm good, Thanks!

10. PacificAg

PacificAg New Member

Looks like it - Found this:

http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2009/07/20/daily39.html

The owner of the Northwest Territorial Mint in Auburn said he’s moving his company — and its 200-plus manufacturing jobs — to Nevada.

Ross Hansen said he bought Medallic Art Co., in Dayton, Nev., for an undisclosed price and will move his company’s headquarters and manufacturing operations to the state.

He wasn’t happy with Washington, citing the state’s “unfriendly business climate.”

“The state always talks about retaining manufacturing but their actions are contrary to their statements,” Hansen said. His run-ins with the state included one last year, when the Attorney General’s office sued his company for deceptive sales practices in a case that was eventually settled.

That suit, Hansen said, was one of the “straws that broke the camel’s back” for his decision to move his mint to Nevada.

He also complained about the state Legislature’s inaction on a manufacturing tax on his business that he said costs him more than $1 million a year. Promises were made that the tax would be removed, he said, but it never was.

“It’s an uncertain tax structure. I can’t plan for the future. I had to make a move,” Hansen said.

“This state has a big problem. They need to be concerned about companies like myself, the meat and potatoes of the economy.”

Nevada, he said, was very welcoming of his business.

“I got them (Nevada) pulling and Washington pushing” me, he said.

The move to Nevada, he said, should be complete by January.

Read more: Northwest Territorial Mint moving to Nevada - Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle):

11. goldandcountry

goldandcountry New Member

I loved them when the silver paper price was low and so were there prices compared to others. The quality of their products is among the best. On the other hand, they have sent me the wrong order twice and sent me another order with defective packaging. I probably will not order from them again.

12. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

got my order in 5 days in good shape and as advertised.

13. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

Very similar 2008 circumstances occurred to me, in reverse. The shipping was "delayed" by 6 weeks, phone calls were useless, and it took a letter of concern and contract obligations to initiate shipping. I will not, and would not order from again. Even if again it is inherited "free" money.
    They hold purchasers money to play the market. Afterwards I researched Attorney generals case and if I recall correctly, NWT paid penalty without court procedure. Nolo contender.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

14. TiKi

TiKi Silver Member Silver Miner

Anyone order recently from them? I was planning to order some stagecoach bars but if they are still crappy I'll pass.

15. GOLD DUCK

GOLD DUCK Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

QWAK,TiKi,DON'T do it!! They play the FLOAT :flute:with your $$$ -- it could be 2 months or MORE befor you see your SILVER:yes: -- IF you do ever see it! :36_3_13::banghead:

I did buy from them back when SILVER was about $7.00:yes: and it took over two months for them to ship it -- just ROUNDS!:banghead::banghead:

The lower price is NOT worth the hastles, time and the POSABILITY you may never get your SILVER if things go parabolic in SILVER price they would be first in line to DEFAULT! :yes:

the DUCK :2:

16. TiKi

TiKi Silver Member Silver Miner

I really like those stagecoach coach bars especially since there are split into 1/4s. But I guess I'll just avoid them.

17. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Midas Member Midas Member

TiKi likes this.
  18. GOLD DUCK

QWAK,lhslancers,I maxed out a CREDIT CARD deal at 4% for one year and in 9 months SILVER was over $15.00! :hahaha::yes:

At the time I felt it was going SIDE WAYS 2 1/2 months--- and when the order FINLY arived :36_1_11: I lined my DUCK POND with SILVER HAMMERS! :yes: I posted pictures on the OLD GIM! :2:

Shure wish I had a TIME machean NOW!:hahaha::yes::yes::yes:

Just seems wrong paying $30.00 and $40.00 an oz now! :banghead:

the DUCK :2:

19. Tallboy038

Tallboy038 New Member

When I ordered from Northwest Territorial Mint they promised a delivery in 8 to 10 weeks. Now, 12 weeks later I get an email saying it will be another 30 days. Like I'm going to believe that too. They wont refund my money without a "Market Adjustment", must be my fault that they can't deliver as promised. I am telling everyone I know to stay away from these people.
    They have no clue about customer service or keeping to their word.

20. jmar93

jmar93 New Member

For those of us with normal size bank accounts who buy a little at a time, stick with Apmex or Provident they ship what you order and do it quickly.

Mujahideen and gringott like this.
  21. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Depending on how you paid, Id threaten them with a chargeback. If you paid with a CC, you could contact your card, and charge it back. They broke there promise, they should eat the "Market Adjustment"

22. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

Ask them if the CFTC should investigate them. That should put a kink in their colon. I highly doubt that they are legally selling futures. ;)

23. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

Looking at their history on this board, I feel a visit from the US Attorney General's office might be in order. This kind of thing should NOT be allowed to continue unchecked for so long.

IMO, R.

24. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    Bump this thread as a warning for anyone thinking of buying from them. You will probably get your product, eventually but it will be only after much waiting and mental agony.

Read the reviews here: http://golddealerreviews.com/reviews/gold-dealers/8-northwest-territorial-mint

They've been pulling this business model for years, have been successfully sued and prosecuted for it but they keep at it.

25. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Same here, they had the cheapest prices at the time so I figured Id take a crap shoot, they said delivery was 3 months away and I got the bullion in under 2 months.

26. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    If I took a "crap shoot" with them, it would be credit card only but 90 days takes you past the challenge period. I know they have been doing the same thing since at least 2005 because it was my doing research on them that linked me to GIM the first time.

They have nice product and I have some but bought through secondary market.

27. Fatboy

Fatboy Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Used Up and Retired Out
    Tom, Apparently things haven't changed since 2005........

Taken from SurvivalBlog, from a few days ago:

http://www.survivalblog.com/2014/02/letter-wheres-my-silver.html

Letter: Where's My Silver

Hello HJL,

Just thought I'd let you know I'm a little less than satisfied with Northwest Territorial Mint. I chose them to buy silver from because I knew I could trust a company that your site promotes. While I still trust NTM I feel I should say, however, they should tighten up a little bit. I've made four orders so far and received one. I'm quite pleased with that order, but at the same time the turn-around is very long. It took over a month to receive, and yesterday I received an email saying my 2nd order will be delayed one month. I can only expect my remaining tw orders will be delayed as well. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate NTM and will continue to do business with them. I was just hoping you guys could goose them a little and get them to improve the service. If I'm the only one complaining or if I am some kind of idiot, please disregard this email. Thanks for all you do and God bless. - J.W.

JWR Replies: Whenever the spot price of silver takes a dip (as it recently did twice, to $19.50 per ounce), the retailers and mints get buried in orders, and they very quickly build multi-month order backlogs. Even the U.S. mint has been slammed with orders. It regularly sells out of some products and periodically suspends sales, to allow time to catch up. See: http://www.coinnews.net/2014/01/03/us-mint-sales-updates-and-more-sold-out-products/

Like all of the other high-volume and low markup mints, Northwest Territorial Mint has suffered delays because of large order influxes. Their mint is physically limited by the speed of their machinery to how many coins and bars they can produce and ship each week, and still meet high quality control standards. But the good news is that in their four years as a SurvivalBlog advertiser, Northwest Territorial Mint has NEVER failed to fulfill an order, or welched on a promised price.

Now compare the silver mint situation to .22 rimfire ammo manufacturers and retailers–where in the past year they have widely canceled orders, rationed customers, and more than doubled prices. (In fact, during the worst of the ammo shortage crisis, some retailers quintupled their prices.) All in all, I'd say that Northwest Territorial Mint and most of the other silver mints have been far more ethical and trustworthy.

The law of supply and demand is inescapable. In times of extreme demand, manufacturers have two choices: either raise their prices or queue their deliveries. I am thankful that Northwest Territorial Mint has consistently chosen the ethical course of action.

Lastly: I must warn you and other readers: Do not do business with shady, fly-by-night companies. Buy only from reputable companies, or you face the prospect of losing 100% of what you send them. Best Regards.

28. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
  29. GOLD DUCK

QWAK,pitw,That is SOP for NWTM --- years ago when SILVER was just under $7.00 I bought SILVER HAMMER rounds from them -- on my credit card and it took over 3 months to get them --- every excuse in the book if and when they answered the phone!:realmad:

They play the FLOAT --- they use customers $$$$ as long as they can string them along and IF the price goes down they may buy and deliver BUT if it goes up they just blow you off till you get mad enough to cancel the order.

They have been doing it for years SOP and been taken to court and payed fines lots of times but keep doing it because they make lots of $$$$ doing it and the GOV. don't shut them down!:thumbs_down::cry_smile:

the DUCK :15_1_70v:

30. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

The only time I bought from NWT was when I went to there brick and mortar place in Aubrun Wa, just off I5. Walked in,paid cash for PM's and left with metal in my hands.....the best way.

Also did a gun deal in their parking lot while I was there to boot. Ah good times......

31. InsertUserNameHere

InsertUserNameHere Seeker Seeker

it's so funny to read these old threads

32. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

33. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
  34. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

Reading some of the reviews, seems like NWT Mint holds onto people's money for a few months. Either speculate in paper market or pull interest off of it somewhere. Keep stating delays. Then those who complain the loudest and protest too much eventually get refunded. So if they are shorting the market, what's gonna happen when the market picks up?

35. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    They always have, on and off... ironically unlike Tulving before the troubles. Maybe fate is finally catching up with these guys. I dunno, they are smart and slippery.

36. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

I would rather use the word cunning than smart. Smart should be relegated toward doing something right and ethical. Cunning and greasy.

37. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Maybe right... they outlived Tulving and I believe he was basically honest and simply got into trouble. This is a skinny margin, highly problematical business, most retail exists on 40% margins and close to 100% markups. These guys are in dangerous territory in "normal operation" by most retailers standards... they make Wally Marts margins look PHAT!

historyrepete likes this.
  38. Treasure Searcher

Treasure Searcher Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

There is an article on NWT on the King World News website.

39. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

40. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Hmmmm....I bought a 100 oz bar during the '08 crash and it took 3-4 mos to arrive IIRC. Had me more nervous than a whore in church, but I finally got it. I did buy on credit card though. After that I decided "fool me once".